I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JBTX
Posts: 1646
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by JBTX » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:14 pm

Apparently they have camera/radars and mail you ticket. 78 in 65 of major interstate (29). $100. Annoyingly just north in SD the same highway speed limit is 80.

Looking up it is considered a civil penalty, not criminal. It isn't reported to driving agencies, insurance etc.

Worst case if you don't pay it they send it to collections. No idea if they'd take it as far as reporting to credit agencies.

lakja
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:34 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by lakja » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:15 pm

Yes..

Gill
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by Gill » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:19 pm

13 miles over limit. You got off easy. Pay it.
Gill

The Wizard
Posts: 11093
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:45 pm
Location: Reading, MA

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by The Wizard » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:19 pm

Interesting question, not sure what I would do.
Let's see what the pros have to say...
Attempted new signature...

Teague
Posts: 849
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by Teague » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:22 pm

JBTX wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:14 pm
Apparently they have camera/radars and mail you ticket. 78 in 65 of major interstate (29). $100. Annoyingly just north in SD the same highway speed limit is 80.

Looking up it is considered a civil penalty, not criminal. It isn't reported to driving agencies, insurance etc.

Worst case if you don't pay it they send it to collections. No idea if they'd take it as far as reporting to credit agencies.
I'd pay that in a hot second to be done with it.

Your other option is to not pay, and see what happens.

They know the rules very well. You do not, presumably.

They have the resources of one of the states of the USA. You have whatever private resources you may have.

They have police power. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_po ... ional_law) You do not.
Semper Augustus

brad.clarkston
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:31 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by brad.clarkston » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:35 pm

JBTX wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:14 pm
Worst case if you don't pay it they send it to collections. No idea if they'd take it as far as reporting to credit agencies.
No that's not how it works, they issue a bench warrant for your arrest in that state and flag the DMV to not allow you to renew your license in any state in the union.

Once your license expires your in a world of hurt and will pay a lawyer in that state an exorbitant price to fix it for you because if you show up they will put you in a orange jumpsuit to go see the judge.

The Wizard
Posts: 11093
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:45 pm
Location: Reading, MA

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by The Wizard » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:41 pm

brad.clarkston wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:35 pm
JBTX wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:14 pm
Worst case if you don't pay it they send it to collections. No idea if they'd take it as far as reporting to credit agencies.
No that's not how it works, they issue a bench warrant for your arrest in that state and flag the DMV to not allow you to renew your license in any state in the union.

Once your license expires your in a world of hurt and will pay a lawyer in that state an exorbitant price to fix it for you because if you show up they will put you in a orange jumpsuit to go see the judge.
An orange jumpsuit for a civil penalty?
Wow!
Attempted new signature...

bob60014
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 pm
Location: The Land Beyond ORD

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by bob60014 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:46 pm

"You're in a heap of trouble boy!"
https://youtu.be/Az_gECAGXvE
Last edited by bob60014 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ccieemeritus
Posts: 429
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:43 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by ccieemeritus » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:47 pm

Did you travel on that highway on that date and time?

If yes, do you think you could have gone 78 in that zone?

If the answer to both questions is yes, then pay it.

squirm
Posts: 1074
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by squirm » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:52 pm

Why would you not pay it? Fess up, and pay.

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 3828
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by Kenkat » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:00 pm

It’s a driving tax; a money grab by the jurisdiction and the private company that gets a cut of every ticket paid. No incentive there not to issue as many tickets as possible.

You are probably stuck paying but I don’t think these things are a good use of police enforcement power.

Jags4186
Posts: 1451
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:00 pm

Why anyone thinks they can get one over the government is beyond me,,,

brad.clarkston
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:31 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by brad.clarkston » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:01 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:41 pm
brad.clarkston wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:35 pm
JBTX wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:14 pm
Worst case if you don't pay it they send it to collections. No idea if they'd take it as far as reporting to credit agencies.
No that's not how it works, they issue a bench warrant for your arrest in that state and flag the DMV to not allow you to renew your license in any state in the union.

Once your license expires your in a world of hurt and will pay a lawyer in that state an exorbitant price to fix it for you because if you show up they will put you in a orange jumpsuit to go see the judge.
An orange jumpsuit for a civil penalty?
Wow!
Not for the speeding ticket they don't really care about that.
It's for the bench warrant that's where they get you on the fines.

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 1175
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by F150HD » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 pm

try a forum search on this topic

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=228731

In some states those cameras have been deemed unconstitutional

Speed cameras case goes before Iowa Supreme Court
Last edited by F150HD on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BolderBoy
Posts: 3450
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:16 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by BolderBoy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 pm

brad.clarkston wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:35 pm
JBTX wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:14 pm
Worst case if you don't pay it they send it to collections. No idea if they'd take it as far as reporting to credit agencies.
No that's not how it works, they issue a bench warrant for your arrest in that state and flag the DMV to not allow you to renew your license in any state in the union.
I think this is true. All the states have cooperative agreements about civil penalty tickets.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 906
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by CyclingDuo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:08 pm

JBTX wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:14 pm
Apparently they have camera/radars and mail you ticket. 78 in 65 of major interstate (29). $100. Annoyingly just north in SD the same highway speed limit is 80.

Looking up it is considered a civil penalty, not criminal. It isn't reported to driving agencies, insurance etc.

Worst case if you don't pay it they send it to collections. No idea if they'd take it as far as reporting to credit agencies.
Our state needs your money. Pay it!

User avatar
slayed
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by slayed » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:10 pm

Unfortunately most states share speeding ticket information with each other and Iowa is one of those states. You can search "Driver License Compact" and see the full list. You will end up having to pay the ticket when you go to renew your license in your home state.

brad.clarkston
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:31 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by brad.clarkston » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:13 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 pm
brad.clarkston wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:35 pm
JBTX wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:14 pm
Worst case if you don't pay it they send it to collections. No idea if they'd take it as far as reporting to credit agencies.
No that's not how it works, they issue a bench warrant for your arrest in that state and flag the DMV to not allow you to renew your license in any state in the union.
I think this is true. All the states have cooperative agreements about civil penalty tickets.
I was on the wrong end of that stick about 10 years ago. Thankfully my local attorney told me not to go back and got me a lawyer from the area to represent me. Got out with just a $5k bill including legal fee's.

I've known a few other people that went back and was arrested when they showed up for the court date. They spent a day maybe two in jail and then get re-arraigned just to tack on a few extra $grand$. It's a big money maker for local law enforcement.

My advice pay it ASAP and be done with it.

BW1985
Posts: 1714
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by BW1985 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:15 pm

I doubt its as big of deal as some here think. There’s a reason some states make out of state drivers pay tickets on the spot with a credit card, people don’t pay them otherwise. A bench warrant issued for one speeding ticket? Its possible I guess. But I doibt it. Even then they’d need to pull you over in Iowa.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

brad.clarkston
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:31 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by brad.clarkston » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:20 pm

BW1985 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:15 pm
I doubt its as big of deal as some here think. There’s a reason some states make out of state drivers pay tickets on the spot with a credit card, people don’t pay them otherwise. A bench warrant issued for one speeding ticket? Its possible I guess. But I doibt it. Even then they’d need to pull you over in Iowa.
Yea that's nice, call me a liar if you want but giving bad advice is worse.

IMO
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by IMO » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:44 pm

Here's a post that says it ended it hitting his credit score:

https://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/15/red ... dit-score/

I know in some states these camera's were used a bit, but then for reasons unknown to me, they apparently
ended up discontinuing the program.

Have been hit by one, but paid the fine. What bothers me most about the camera's is that you could conceivable get multiple fines before you even became aware of your 1st fine. This would be unlike if you are physically pulled over by a law enforcement officer and given a fine (or even a warning). In the latter situation, most people do tend to attempt to follow traffic ordinances after getting the 1st ticket (at least for awhile).

I do believe you can fight the ticket IF you can show that YOU weren't the driver. If one ignores the ticket, I would be presuming that you are waiving your right to show it was not you driving the car.

Teague
Posts: 849
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by Teague » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:53 pm

BW1985 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:15 pm
I doubt its as big of deal as some here think. There’s a reason some states make out of state drivers pay tickets on the spot with a credit card, people don’t pay them otherwise. A bench warrant issued for one speeding ticket? Its possible I guess. But I doibt it. Even then they’d need to pull you over in Iowa.
Don't believe it? How about a bench warrant issued for slightly expired registration tags? It really does happen.

It's not the initial offense they get ticked off about, it's when you don't show up or pay the fine that they get all bent out of shape. Back a few decades when I was young and dumb(er) I even got to wear the silver bracelets and got a free ride in real police car for that. Believe it.
Semper Augustus

gundlached
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:45 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by gundlached » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:57 pm

For chump change of $100 I would just pay and just not cut a break in traffic to the next person with an Iowa license plate you encounter

brad.clarkston
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:31 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by brad.clarkston » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:58 pm

IMO wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:44 pm
Here's a post that says it ended it hitting his credit score:

https://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/15/red ... dit-score/

I know in some states these camera's were used a bit, but then for reasons unknown to me, they apparently
ended up discontinuing the program.

Have been hit by one, but paid the fine. What bothers me most about the camera's is that you could conceivable get multiple fines before you even became aware of your 1st fine. This would be unlike if you are physically pulled over by a law enforcement officer and given a fine (or even a warning). In the latter situation, most people do tend to attempt to follow traffic ordinances after getting the 1st ticket (at least for awhile).

I do believe you can fight the ticket IF you can show that YOU weren't the driver. If one ignores the ticket, I would be presuming that you are waiving your right to show it was not you driving the car.
They were discontinued in MO and KS for speeding tickets because the private companies that run them get 70% to 80% of the profits instead of law enforcement and/or city/county. I would bet but don't know that it's similar anywhere that's stopped using them.

I do know the are very spot on and do not just take one picture they take several license plate pics and several of the driver. They would most likely pull those extra pictures out during the hearing.

They pretty well perfected the system in Germany back in the 90's. I know I never saw the local polizei out writing tickets.

User avatar
vinnydabody
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:25 am
Location: Chicagoland

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by vinnydabody » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:00 pm

IMO wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:44 pm
I do believe you can fight the ticket IF you can show that YOU weren't the driver. If one ignores the ticket, I would be presuming that you are waiving your right to show it was not you driving the car.
I wouldn't bet on that. For these speed camera tickets most jurisdictions (including Iowa) assess the civil penalty against the owner of the vehicle. Doesn't matter who's driving, the ticket follows the plates and registration, like a parking ticket. No points on the license, they just want the money.

DireWolf
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by DireWolf » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:10 pm

I got several of them in Missouri when they had cameras. Threw them all in the trash. Never heard from them again. That was 8 years ago.

The Wizard
Posts: 11093
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:45 pm
Location: Reading, MA

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by The Wizard » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:17 pm

DireWolf wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:10 pm
I got several of them in Missouri when they had cameras. Threw them all in the trash. Never heard from them again. That was 8 years ago.
So I guess they weren't too serious about it then.
Odd...
Attempted new signature...

User avatar
ClevrChico
Posts: 1033
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by ClevrChico » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:18 pm

If you're an Iowa resident, they can withhold your state income tax refund. Beyond that, possibly nothing since it's a civil infraction?

LarryAllen
Posts: 749
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 am
Location: State of Confusion

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by LarryAllen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:22 pm

I am not sure why there is any doubt on paying this. Man up and pay it.

dccboone
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:02 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by dccboone » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:23 pm

As a resident of Iowa, first let me apologize for local municipalities in our state that I believe are utilizing this technology as a means to simply raise revenue. Attached are two recent Iowa newspaper articles discussing this topic. A Google search will uncover many more from our state as well. Two points of interest. First, Iowa is the only state where this technology is being used on U.S. Interstate Highways. Current law requires a sign warning drivers 1,000 feet before any camera. Others have litigated and most have lost. There is currently a case pending before the Iowa Supreme Court. This story from the Des Moines Register provides an overview of that case and what is being litigated. A decision is expected in early 2018. (https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 684403001/).

Second, according to this story in the Cedar Rapids Gazette ( http://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/ ... s-20170514 ), “a settlement between 31 state attorneys general, including Iowa’s, and the major credit reporting agencies forbade using unpaid traffic camera tickets as black marks on credit scores — until then the primary muscle behind collecting. The traffic camera tickets are considered civil fines that do not affect a driving record like traditional tickets.”

This newspaper article also states that in Cedar Rapids “Only 55 percent — or 85,495 of the 154,323 tickets issued in fiscal 2016 — were paid. That’s down from 65 percent, or 90,456 out of 139,438 citations issued, the previous year.” So you are faced with the same decision these other car owners had to consider - pay or not pay. One final thought; during the past two years, I received two tickets from these same cameras. In both instances I was speeding more than 9 miles per hour over the limit and I paid both tickets.

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 2311
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by whodidntante » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:51 pm

Pay the ticket. For bonus fun, try paying a foreign ticket written out in a language you do not understand payable to a country that does not use checks.

DireWolf
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by DireWolf » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:11 am

The Wizard wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:17 pm
So I guess they weren't too serious about it then.
Odd...
I assume they didn't have the resources to hunt people down. Many people didn't pay. One attorney even went on St. Louis radio and said the court could never prove you received the ticket in the mail, unless it was delivered by certified mail. All of the tickets were mailed first class postage. He said a valid argument would be, "What ticket? Never got anything in the mail". I don't think his advice was ever tested because there were no consequences to not paying.

User avatar
Coyote
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:28 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by Coyote » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:26 am

BW1985 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:15 pm
I doubt its as big of deal as some here think. There’s a reason some states make out of state drivers pay tickets on the spot with a credit card, people don’t pay them otherwise. A bench warrant issued for one speeding ticket? Its possible I guess. But I doibt it. Even then they’d need to pull you over in Iowa.
Credit card?!! Last out of state speeding ticket I got, the officer wanted cash or we'd go to the county seat, about 45 miles the opposite direction...
He took travelers checks luckily, and gave me a receipt, said that was it, and I never saw any thing show up on my home state record. Who knows....

User avatar
snackdog
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:57 am

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by snackdog » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:07 am

If it wasn't sent registered certified mail, I would pretend I didn't receive it.

Slow down!

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:47 am

Coyote wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:26 am
BW1985 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:15 pm
I doubt its as big of deal as some here think. There’s a reason some states make out of state drivers pay tickets on the spot with a credit card, people don’t pay them otherwise. A bench warrant issued for one speeding ticket? Its possible I guess. But I doibt it. Even then they’d need to pull you over in Iowa.
Credit card?!! Last out of state speeding ticket I got, the officer wanted cash or we'd go to the county seat, about 45 miles the opposite direction...
He took travelers checks luckily, and gave me a receipt, said that was it, and I never saw any thing show up on my home state record. Who knows....
He took cash on the spot?

Why does this make me think something was fishy?

I got a speeding ticket some years back (my first and only speeding ticket in 40-plus years of driving), and had to wait over a week for the ticket even to show up in the city’s computer system before I could pay it. The cop demanding payment in hand at the point of citation seems very suspicious. Of course this was not out of state, in fact it was in the city in which I had been employed for the past 30-plus years. Maybe that makes a difference.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

spitty
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:01 am

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by spitty » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:49 am

dccboone wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:23 pm
One final thought; during the past two years, I received two tickets from these same cameras. In both instances I was speeding more than 9 miles per hour over the limit and I paid both tickets.
Did you get any points or an insurance bump either time? If so, OP I'd consider searching for an IA traffic attorney to help if you can't afford anymore points. Otherwise just pay it outright though there is controversy in that state--you don't wanna get hauled in for speeding next year if you have an arrest warrant from IA . I was flashed speeding in AZ several years ago and took an online course to avoid points; maybe that's a choice in IA. Three years ago I got a $100 red light ticket in the mail (StLouis) that said pay up to avoid points/insurance reporting. I paid and about a year or so later got a $100 check in the mail after the city dumped the cameras. So you might get lucky!

Billionaire
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:05 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by Billionaire » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:57 am

No, don't pay it. In fact, don't pay any of your bills or debts.

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 17231
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:13 am

Are you seriously asking this question? If you can sign your name to legal documents, hold a drivers license and vote, then the answer ought to be obvious. But let’s think about this further - you get a ticket in the mail with no picture or the picture is of another car, not yours, then I would write a letter contesting it. Now, if the pictures sent to you are that of your car, your license plates, then the answer ought to be quite obvious. Write the check and be done with it.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

HoosierJim
Posts: 393
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by HoosierJim » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:07 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:13 am
.. you get a ticket in the mail with no picture or the picture is of another car, not yours, then I would write a letter contesting it. Now, if the pictures sent to you are that of your car, your license plate.
DireWolf wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:11 am
... court could never prove you received the ticket in the mail, unless it was delivered by certified mail
Paying up could be at the time of mail receipt or when you next renew anything with the state (car plates, license, new boat etc) where you would again be shown the citation with associated photos.

As said many times - just pay it. Just wondering why you think you shouldn't if you were on that road, you were speeding and there are pictures of your car and license plate?

Each Sunday I drive downtown Chicago at 5 am on the Dan Ryan Expressway. Of the 500 cars or so I see, about 3 to 5 (depend on the week) are traveling at speeds over 90 mph. Additionally, either northbound or southbound gets COMPLETELY shutdown due to a massive accident about 1 Sunday a month with fatalities. To all that think this is JUST a money grab, would the OP have an objection to setting the cameras to trigger at 90MPH or above in a 55 MPH (45 MPH downtown). Some of these people are going 55 MPH OVER the limit. What would a reasonable setting be for public safety? My guess is these people are under the influence of some chemical and not running a few minutes late for work. I just want to get there and back in one piece.

ivk5
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:05 am

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by ivk5 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:23 am

OP does not appear to dispute the facts that the ticket is based on.

So OP is legally obligated to pay the ticket- this isn't subject to serious debate.

So the only thing up for discussion is whether OP should break the law, which is explicitly against forum rules.

harvestbook
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by harvestbook » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:32 am

Why in the world would you want to go the rest of your life (and even beyond) with this hanging over your head? Especially if you did it.

Not paying it would be the exact opposite of what Bogle would do. You incur tremendous risk with very little possible gain.
I'm not smart enough to know, and I can't afford to guess.

ramsfan
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:27 am

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by ramsfan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:38 am

dccboone wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:23 pm
As a resident of Iowa, first let me apologize for local municipalities in our state that I believe are utilizing this technology as a means to simply raise revenue. Attached are two recent Iowa newspaper articles discussing this topic. A Google search will uncover many more from our state as well. Two points of interest. First, Iowa is the only state where this technology is being used on U.S. Interstate Highways. Current law requires a sign warning drivers 1,000 feet before any camera. Others have litigated and most have lost. There is currently a case pending before the Iowa Supreme Court. This story from the Des Moines Register provides an overview of that case and what is being litigated. A decision is expected in early 2018. (https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 684403001/).

Second, according to this story in the Cedar Rapids Gazette ( http://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/ ... s-20170514 ), “a settlement between 31 state attorneys general, including Iowa’s, and the major credit reporting agencies forbade using unpaid traffic camera tickets as black marks on credit scores — until then the primary muscle behind collecting. The traffic camera tickets are considered civil fines that do not affect a driving record like traditional tickets.”

This newspaper article also states that in Cedar Rapids “Only 55 percent — or 85,495 of the 154,323 tickets issued in fiscal 2016 — were paid. That’s down from 65 percent, or 90,456 out of 139,438 citations issued, the previous year.” So you are faced with the same decision these other car owners had to consider - pay or not pay. One final thought; during the past two years, I received two tickets from these same cameras. In both instances I was speeding more than 9 miles per hour over the limit and I paid both tickets.
This is great info! Someone I know well received one of these "tickets" from Cedar Rapids. This lead to lots of interesting discussion and research, and the person chose to not pay. They received 4 or 5 more notices, never paid, and then stopped hearing from the company. Nothing further happened. This was 6-7 years ago.

At the simplest level, what is interesting is that these notices are not "speeding tickets" like we all are accustomed to. An actual speeding ticket is a criminal offense, and you have rights to defend yourself, and by the same token consequences for failure to pay, failure to appear.

The "tickets" issued in Iowa are actually "notices of civil violations". Another example would be if someone in Cedar Rapids let there grass grow too tall, they would get a notice of a civil violation. The notice of civil violation is given to the vehicle, and then by proxy is sent to the owner of the vehicle. What if you loaned your car to your friend, and your friend was speeding. If they got pulled over, they may be issued a speeding ticket to the driver. In the case of Iowa, they are issuing civil violations to the owners of the vehicle. There is a lot of controversy around these notices, and the private company behind them.

I think this whole system relies on people's perception of what a speeding ticket is. You are not receiving a speeding ticket based off a speed detection system in Iowa, you are receiving a notice of a civil violation.

In Minnesota, these systems were eventually removed, and anyone who had ever paid a fine, was reimbursed. Other states have had similar issues. In Missouri this was a hot topic, and congressman who were against it advised to just tear up the notices.

Unfortunately for Cedar Rapids, their use of these systems has lead to ill will amongst travels along the "Avenue of the Saints" between Saint Louis and the Twin Cities. I, and many others I know, no longer stop in Cedar Rapids for food, gas, lodging, as a form of protest.

User avatar
samsoes
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 am

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by samsoes » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:54 am

Driving is a privilege, not a right. Pay it. Slow down.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren at Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

Dottie57
Posts: 2364
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:04 am

Pay it. You were speeding.

westrichj312
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:25 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by westrichj312 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:09 am

As long as you don't live in IA toss it in the can.

JBTX
Posts: 1646
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by JBTX » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:44 am

ramsfan wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:38 am
dccboone wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:23 pm
As a resident of Iowa, first let me apologize for local municipalities in our state that I believe are utilizing this technology as a means to simply raise revenue. Attached are two recent Iowa newspaper articles discussing this topic. A Google search will uncover many more from our state as well. Two points of interest. First, Iowa is the only state where this technology is being used on U.S. Interstate Highways. Current law requires a sign warning drivers 1,000 feet before any camera. Others have litigated and most have lost. There is currently a case pending before the Iowa Supreme Court. This story from the Des Moines Register provides an overview of that case and what is being litigated. A decision is expected in early 2018. (https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 684403001/).

Second, according to this story in the Cedar Rapids Gazette ( http://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/ ... s-20170514 ), “a settlement between 31 state attorneys general, including Iowa’s, and the major credit reporting agencies forbade using unpaid traffic camera tickets as black marks on credit scores — until then the primary muscle behind collecting. The traffic camera tickets are considered civil fines that do not affect a driving record like traditional tickets.”

This newspaper article also states that in Cedar Rapids “Only 55 percent — or 85,495 of the 154,323 tickets issued in fiscal 2016 — were paid. That’s down from 65 percent, or 90,456 out of 139,438 citations issued, the previous year.” So you are faced with the same decision these other car owners had to consider - pay or not pay. One final thought; during the past two years, I received two tickets from these same cameras. In both instances I was speeding more than 9 miles per hour over the limit and I paid both tickets.
This is great info! Someone I know well received one of these "tickets" from Cedar Rapids. This lead to lots of interesting discussion and research, and the person chose to not pay. They received 4 or 5 more notices, never paid, and then stopped hearing from the company. Nothing further happened. This was 6-7 years ago.

At the simplest level, what is interesting is that these notices are not "speeding tickets" like we all are accustomed to. An actual speeding ticket is a criminal offense, and you have rights to defend yourself, and by the same token consequences for failure to pay, failure to appear.

The "tickets" issued in Iowa are actually "notices of civil violations". Another example would be if someone in Cedar Rapids let there grass grow too tall, they would get a notice of a civil violation. The notice of civil violation is given to the vehicle, and then by proxy is sent to the owner of the vehicle. What if you loaned your car to your friend, and your friend was speeding. If they got pulled over, they may be issued a speeding ticket to the driver. In the case of Iowa, they are issuing civil violations to the owners of the vehicle. There is a lot of controversy around these notices, and the private company behind them.

I think this whole system relies on people's perception of what a speeding ticket is. You are not receiving a speeding ticket based off a speed detection system in Iowa, you are receiving a notice of a civil violation.

In Minnesota, these systems were eventually removed, and anyone who had ever paid a fine, was reimbursed. Other states have had similar issues. In Missouri this was a hot topic, and congressman who were against it advised to just tear up the notices.

Unfortunately for Cedar Rapids, their use of these systems has lead to ill will amongst travels along the "Avenue of the Saints" between Saint Louis and the Twin Cities. I, and many others I know, no longer stop in Cedar Rapids for food, gas, lodging, as a form of protest.
Thanks to both of you. I had googled around and found similar info. I will probably pay it and be done with it but unlike most traffic tickets this is a civil penalty not a criminal one. It has been contested in IA courts and one judge tossed them out in certain areas. They found that the contention that they made roads safer to not be evidenced based.

While I assume I probably was speeding there (as does everybody else on the highway) if I had known it was monitored i would have slowed down. What seems legally problematic is you get something in the mail almost two weeks later saying you committed a violation. While I am pretty sure I did I can’t recall how fast I was going.

It is a money making scam and will likely be overturned by be courts. Nearby SD got so irritated with their residents getting fined that they ceased their DMV state reciprocity agreement with IA.

I Have also been nabbed several times by red light cameras locally here in TX. I have zero problem with them for truly running a red light, but all but one of the violations was for a “rolling right turn”. On these occasions I didn’t come to a complete stop on a right hand turn at a stop sign or red light. In all cases there was nobody around at all. I have since read that the private companies that do this put in their contract with municipalities that they have to charge for rolling rights also because it is a money maker. I have also “heard” that in some cases they shorten the yellow light when using red light cameras to increase violations. Since they are local I end up grousing about them for a week or so and just pay them

User avatar
8foot7
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by 8foot7 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:48 am

Changed my mind. An automated ticket halfway across the country? I'd throw it in the trash.

stan1
Posts: 5014
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by stan1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:56 am

I guess it is a risk assessment. What percentage of your net worth is $100? At what hourly rate do you value your time? Do you feel the need to make a stand based on principle? What might this cost if you don't pay and then there are subsequently penalties, in person DMV visits, or attorneys? I'd pay the $100 and make sure I got a return receipt which I kept for the rest of my life.

fourwheelcycle
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 5:55 pm

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by fourwheelcycle » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:09 am

On vacation last year we had to do a sixty mile stretch on a rural highway in Maryland on our way home to New England. I usually try to stay within 10 MPH of the speed limit, but this road was posted at 55 and the traffic was going 65 - 70. Several days after we got home I received a ticket in the mail that said I was recorded going 68 in a 55 zone. I remembered the road, and I paid the ticket. It was the first ticket by mail I have ever received.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 14010
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by dm200 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:15 am

JBTX wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:14 pm
Apparently they have camera/radars and mail you ticket. 78 in 65 of major interstate (29). $100. Annoyingly just north in SD the same highway speed limit is 80.
Looking up it is considered a civil penalty, not criminal. It isn't reported to driving agencies, insurance etc.
Worst case if you don't pay it they send it to collections. No idea if they'd take it as far as reporting to credit agencies.
I wonder (don't know and am no lawyer) if the offence (camera speeding ticket) is a civil penalty - might not paying the fine be more serious?

Since you apparently were guilty - I would just pay the fine...

Locked