Do people still use AAA?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
whodidntante

Re: Do people still use AAA?

Post by whodidntante »

I guess the bigger question is whether anyone can cancel AAA. I called to cancel, they acknowledged after some resistance. I haven't paid them in years and they keep sending me membership cards.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

IngognitoUSA wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:57 pm AAA needs better marketing.

If you have coverage from your Insurance, all towing, tire change, running out of gas, locked keys, battery jump count as Insurance Claims on your CLUE report. AAA services do not count on CLUE report, if more people knew this, AAA will have a surge in membership.
Clark Howard noted that a number of his listeners noted that their auto insurance rates went up as a result of using their auto insurance for roadside service.

I have NO intention of changing a tire on a freeqay and my wait has never been more than one hpur no matter how remote my location has been.

I will renew it next year.
pfrank

Post by pfrank »

My auto insurance offers a discount for AAA members. The discount was more than the cost of my AAA membership. So my membership is free.

Here in Massachusetts, AAA offers Registry services. So I don't have to deal with the RMV anymore. That is PRICELESS. :D
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

We've had AAA Plus membership for ~15 years.

We keep it for the rare flat tire or battery issue (actually, we've only had them do a tire once and never had to jump out batteries). The added towing distance that comes with Plus is insurance money well spent.

We also have used them a couple times to book family travel excursions. They actually have great deals both through their own bookings and (what we've used) Trafalgar Tours. We also get free passport pictures there. Occasionally we will also use AAA discounts at hotels and other similar things.

Definitely worth it for us. Doesn't hurt that there's a AAA office building a half mile from our house. :-)
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

I have it because I have a travel trailer that I have started towing long distances in the mountains with an older vehicle. I got AAA about a week before going on our first long trip. The alternator went out. The towing company ended up having to send a couple of vehicles to get my truck, family and travel trailer. The tow guy said that it would have cost me $600 if I didn't have AAA. I'll drop it when I quit my annual trip to Colorado.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Yes. They have been helpful and reliable. I don't begrudge the cost at all. Stuff like this is where a few dollars may be false economy. If it were the case that AAA is useless, that would be different, but they are not useless. Someone else that is just as good or even a little better than AAA and cheaper is fine, but that isn't enough to be constantly trying to find the "best."
Fripp

Post by Fripp »

I have been a member of AAA for approximately 15 years.

I have used them numerous times and they have never let me down. My daughter broke down twice in my automobile, and they took care of us. I quickly added her to my policy and have been paying for her membership for some time now. It has been worth it.

AAA saved me going to the airport one time when I ran over a large board that fell off a truck in front of me. One of my tires went flat within seconds of hitting the board. It was 5:00 a.m. and the weather was nasty outside. I called AAA and they were there in 15 minutes. The driver was great and had me on the road again in minutes.

They have been great for dead batteries, flat tires, and one time my son locked the keys in the car and they got him back on the road in minutes.

I also use their garages for auto repairs. I have always found them to be honest and they have done good work.

I travel for my work and use their discount each time I stay in a hotel.

I feel they have offered me a good value, and will continue being a member.
tc101

Post by tc101 »

When I was about 60 I had a real bad cold and I was driving on a crowded expressway on a cold rainy day . I felt terrible. For no good reason I thought "What if I had a flat tire now? I could change it, but it would be a horrible experience." The next day I got AAA.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
sadie wess

Post by sadie wess »

:sharebeer :sharebeer
Bungo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:18 pm
p0nyboy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:29 pm If people are relying on AAA to change a tire...you screwed up in life. THat should be a requirement for a drivers license. And if you're a guy a cant change a tire...pfffttt...nuff said.
I'm a firm believer in efficient division of labor. I don't expect the tow truck driver to write his own smartphone software, and he doesn't expect me to change my own tire, nor do I have the slightest interest in doing so.
limeyx

Post by limeyx »

I do still have them. Its a minimal expense and unlike dealer or credit card or insurance company provided services I know they are going to show up because their business depends on it.
Afty

Post by Afty »

We also switched to coverage through our insurance provider (Amica), for about $5/yr. We've had to use it a couple times and had no issues.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Sure, it's a minimal expense for the family.

Let it expire and you get significantly discounted renewal offers.

BTW, on another forum one tow driver posted a few years ago that insurance plan reimbursement for towing is much lower than what AAA pays, so for him at least those calls went to the bottom of the pile.

I suspect that's what happened with the OP - local decided Chase's reimbursement too low to be worth responding.
Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound »

Yup, I bought into AAA after my husband passed and I am not a person who can repair or service a car. I carry the Plus version since you can travel long distances out here between towns and if a tow is every needed it will be a long one.

DD went away to college out of state and I carried her on my AAA even though her car was back home. It provided roadside assistance if the car she was riding in needed help. We now live under the same roof again and we have both used their services for flat tires, non-starting cars and tows to a repair shop after being in a crash. We seem to be in an excellent spot, all of our calls for assistance have been answered within 15-30 mins of making the call.

I do visit the local office and pick up maps when traveling someplace new, even if its not by car. My Alaska road map was the envy of my fellow passengers on the Alaskan railroad, I knew where we were. :beer
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

fittan wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:24 am I cancelled AAA few years ago and instead added "emergency road service" to Geico. The savings is quite signficant. AAA costs about $56/year while Geico only $4.80. And if my credit card provides this service for free, I will even drop Geico.

Few months ago, I got stranded on the highway. Called Chase road side assistance. They got my info and hand it off to tow truck provider. Waited for 2 hours and when I called back, the service was cancelled without any explanation. Chase gave the "there's nothing we can do" reply and I was fuming.

So my questions are:

1) Do you still have AAA?

2) Is there a difference between using AAA and the rest? Seriously, whether it is Geico or Chase or any free service from credit card, they all use the same provider. Meaning does AAA have their own "fleet" and thus can provide better service?

Thanks.

The insurance rate I received from AAA was by far the cheapest around... it was more than 2X off set the cost of paying the Roadside Service. So it was an easy choice... The AAA service itself .. I have never used.
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

No, I don't.

AAA is insurance.

I can afford to self-insure.

That's normally how Bogleheads approach insurance. I'm a bit surprised to see so many taking a different approach with AAA.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

AAA gives me confidence to know that my wife won't be stranded if I'm not around when she needs assistance. Priceless.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

I have a AAA Roadside Premier membership since I drive a 14 year old vehicle w/ 170k miles 85 miles/day for my work commute. I rationalize the annual membership fee as cheap insurance for driving an older car in my situation, and a trivial cost compared to buying a new vehicle. I've used the service a few times:

- 140 mile tow @ 11pm on July 4th from an amusement park to my local shop when my transmission failed at the remote destination.
- 10 mile tow when I had a tire blowout on the freeway & the spare was rusted in place and couldn't be dropped to the ground for use.
- Ran out of gas once when playing the "how far can I push it" game. :oops:

My only complaint may be response time. The tow truck coordination always seems to take > an hour.

And I while I too have a couple CCs with roadside, their service is usually fairly anemic. It wouldn't even tow me from work to home under the base coverage.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

AlohaJoe wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:55 pm No, I don't.

AAA is insurance.

That's normally how Bogleheads approach insurance. I'm a bit surprised to see so many taking a different approach with AAA.
The financial cost is easily self-insured. The inconvenience, aggravation, and process of getting cleaned up is often more costly than the $. The AAA (or similar) premium covers all of that.
Soaker

Post by Soaker »

AAA is insurance.

If you need the Emergency Road Service, you're in an unexpected and possibly stressful situation to begin with. You can grab your smart phone, look up local "Towing Services" on Yelp and hope the one you choose is dependable and not out to rip you off. Or, since you have anticipated this situation, you call an 800 number. If the person they send provides unacceptable service they won't have their contract with AAA (or USAA or whomever) for very long. I see having emergency service and towing insurance as more about peace of mind in that situation than a calculation of the mathematical probability of saving a few bucks.
Johio

Post by Johio »

I have been a member of AAA for 25+ years. I used their battery service twice in the last year, very responsive and relatively inexpensive. We have used their maps, tour guides, and other travel related information for years. Very happy with them, felt better knowing my son had it when he first started driving....
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

Soaker wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:25 pm

AAA is insurance.

If you need the Emergency Road Service, you're in an unexpected and possibly stressful situation to begin with. You can grab your smart phone, look up local "Towing Services" on Yelp and hope the one you choose is dependable and not out to rip you off. Or, since you have anticipated this situation, you call an 800 number. If the person they send provides unacceptable service they won't have their contract with AAA (or USAA or whomever) for very long. I see having emergency service and towing insurance as more about peace of mind in that situation than a calculation of the mathematical probability of saving a few bucks.
But doesn't that increase your ER by 0.0001%? Oh, the horrors! :D
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:22 pm The financial cost is easily self-insured. The inconvenience, aggravation, and process of getting cleaned up is often more costly than the $
I don't know what inconvenience, aggravation, or "getting cleaned up" you are talking about. I still pay someone to tow when things happen. I just don't pay a monthly insurance premium.
Soaker wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:25 pmIf you need the Emergency Road Service, you're in an unexpected and possibly stressful situation to begin with.
You seem to think that the only way to get good towing service is via a monthly insurance payment. I'm not sure why you think there are no alternatives. My family members in the US use Urgent.ly and it works exactly like AAA -- it offers lockout, towing, jump start, tire change, ran out of gas, etc -- except they pay per-use instead of a monthly insurance premium. I'm sure there are others I don't know about, as well. Building up a network of roadside assistance helpers isn't exactly rocket science -- as evidenced by the dozens of insurance companies and credit cards and competitors to AAA that exist nowadays all offering roadside assistance.
2comma

Post by 2comma »

AAA is insurance.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I follow this philosophy. The two times I've needed a tow I paid $75 and $120. The only other time I needed help, a blow out on my boat trailer tire, a DOT service vehicle showed up 5 minutes later and had the tire changed in 5 minutes. I'm pretty sure I'm way ahead. Funny thing is last week a lady approached me in a grocery store parking lot because she had locked herself out of her car. We tried the police, no dice, then we called AAA and they said they'd be there in 45 minutes. It seemed to have value to her.
If I am stupid I will pay.
meebers

Post by meebers »

I subscribe to AAA, but have never used it in 6 years. It does give me a great discount on AAA homeowners and auto insurance though.
anoop

Post by anoop »

meebers wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:22 pm I subscribe to AAA, but have never used it in 6 years. It does give me a great discount on AAA homeowners and auto insurance though.
Not even to get discounts on hotels?
khale

Post by khale »

I've had AAA for 50+ years--starting from being young and broke and unable to afford a reliable car. For me, it's always been a safety decision--something to help me cope if I had car trouble at night or in a town I don't know.

I've had to call them for a couple of silly things this year, and found their response time has improved dramatically compared to 10 years ago (I'm in suburban California). One guy showed up in less than 5 minutes, the other in 10, during which time they sent multiple texts updating exactly how close the truck was...which meant I could sit in the toasty coffee shop instead of staying with the car in the cold and dark. The drivers have always been polite. In one case, the guy patiently explained I wasn't locked out, I just didn't understand the the full range of fussy behavior that a modern key fob can produce. Several years ago my car had a failed battery; the service guy was able to sell me one and install it on the spot, which got me back on the road in a few minutes.

So basically, I'm paying a relatively small fee to feel safer about taking off on any sort of car adventure. Because AAA has been in the emergency service business so long, it seems reasonable to think they have the most service contractors signed up, which should result in faster service compared to competitors.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

in addition to towing service, AAA also jumps a battery so I can get it in for replacement. (Older car and alternator brushes are getting weak, so I was swapping out the battery every 18 months or so.)

Service time has always been within 30 minutes of call-in.
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

I'm curious about the lack of spare tires in new vehicles. What do you do when a tire is shredded? Recently, my wife had a tire shredded by some debris that fell from a passing truck. If she didn't have a spare tire, she would have to be towed.

We have AAA, and they changed the tire. We have a basic membership because a long distance tow would be covered by our insurance. We would have to submit a receipt for the tow to the insurance company.

As senior citizens, we value the excellent service we have received from AAA. I've had a few older vehicles towed because parts failed due to age although they were professionally maintained. The maps and discounts are a bonus.

DMW
boglerdude

Post by boglerdude »

There's free basic assistance on LA freeways during rush hour

https://www.metro.net/projects/fsp/
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

pfrank wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:13 am My auto insurance offers a discount for AAA members. The discount was more than the cost of my AAA membership. So my membership is free.

Here in Massachusetts, AAA offers Registry services. So I don't have to deal with the RMV anymore. That is PRICELESS. :D
This.
I have commerce and one time I let my AAA lapse commerce spiked up my prices with reason given as AAA discount not applied or something to that effect.
I have used them for battery replacement, RMV services etc. and for that reason and insurance I can justify keeping them.
WannabeEarlyRetiree

Post by WannabeEarlyRetiree »

boglerdude wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:04 am There's free basic assistance on LA freeways during rush hour

Wow! That's awesome. Why do people in LA have AAA membership then?
alrick

Post by alrick »

We have been long term members of AAA here in northern New England. We are premium members and find the additional cost worth the benefits.
As a member we also have our auto and homeowner's insurance with AAA. Comparison shopping has always shown that they have the lowest costs for us.
Their travel services are top notch and using their AAA Visa card for groceries, gas, and air/travel earns bonus points for cash, or even better, vouchers for AAA travel.
They also offer free passport pictures, assistance with travel visas, and many of their state-by-state travel books and maps are free with membership.
Good value with a great, nation-wide organization,
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

p0nyboy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:29 pm You can usually get hotel discounts with AAA...so if you travel you can save around $10/night at most hotels...which will offset the price of a membership.

I like the fact that AAA will tow 200 miles once per year then 100 miles after that...until new year. Every now and then my wife has to drive to DC from PA for work...its around 150 miles one way. If she breaks down when in the city AAA can tow her car back to our house (uncle nearby who is a mechanic.)

If people are relying on AAA to change a tire...you screwed up in life. THat should be a requirement for a drivers license. And if you're a guy a cant change a tire...pfffttt...nuff said.
I would rather not change a tire on a busy freeway right next to the road. The big wrecker that AAA sends does a great job of protecting the tire-changer. And yes, I have changed tires in a less dangerous situation myself. You didn't need to say I screwed up in life. All 81 years of it.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Some new cars don't have spares. Road service is your only choice then.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Toons

Post by Toons »

Traveling now,
For maps,directions,,,Google.(ok google find pizza near me :happy )
Geico for roadside if needed.

:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Toons wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:58 am Traveling now,
For maps,directions,,,Google.(ok google find pizza near me :happy )
Geico for roadside if needed.

:mrgreen:
Try Siri from Apple!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

I have AAA basic. If you call emergency service once every two years, it pays for itself. I tried to roll my own trip-tik from the internet once, when my car came with 3 years roadside assistance. I concluded it's better to pay AAA if you want a trip-tik.

They've jumped my battery, replaced my battery in the parking lot, changed tires, sent a wrecker, unlocked a rental car for me, and replaced my ignition in a restaurant parking lot. It's very handy, particularly when you need to call someone at 4am.

P.S. It's so easy to break into a rental car, it isn't funny.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

WannabeEarlyRetiree wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:05 am
boglerdude wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:04 am There's free basic assistance on LA freeways during rush hour

Wow! That's awesome. Why do people in LA have AAA membership then?
Because most driving is off the freeways.
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

We use AAA for the hotel discounts, which are significant. It also keeps me from belonging to AARP (similar discounts) which I don't like because of their politics. We've used them for emergency tire blows and battery jumps (DD actually had them replace her battery one time).

gasdoc
dbr

Post by dbr »

gasdoc wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:04 am We use AAA for the hotel discounts, which are significant. It also keeps me from belonging to AARP (similar discounts) which I don't like because of their politics. We've used them for emergency tire blows and battery jumps (DD actually had them replace her battery one time).

gasdoc
Yes, AAA has been useful for discounts. I also eschew AARP for a number of reasons.
mjdaniel

Post by mjdaniel »

My AAA card says a member for 24 years. Most years I never use them. But when it is time to call them, I am glad I am a member. Most recently, my battery was dead in a Costco parking lot. I was not aware of their battery service, so my first comment to the driver was jump the car and I will drive it home, jump it again the next day, and take it to my mechanic. He explained their battery service. It was quick, easy, and reasonably priced. Another time I locked my keys in my truck at a gas station. Minutes later they had my truck open. Membership is worth every penny.
Topic Author
fittan

Post by fittan »

Thanks to everyone who replied. I just signed up for the basic membership.

Surprisingly, it is only $52 (for both myself and wife). In the past, wife would be an additional 30+ and you also need to pay a one time fee to join. Since it is only $52 (used to be $90), the decision is quite simple.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

AAA is insurance.

AAA exists in Vietnam? You write as though you could use AAA if you wanted to, but you are in Vietnam.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Bungo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:18 pm
p0nyboy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:29 pm If people are relying on AAA to change a tire...you screwed up in life. THat should be a requirement for a drivers license. And if you're a guy a cant change a tire...pfffttt...nuff said.
I'm a firm believer in efficient division of labor. I don't expect the tow truck driver to write his own smartphone software, and he doesn't expect me to change my own tire, nor do I have the slightest interest in doing so.
Well, that and I once had a tire with a bent lug. Had to be towed to change a tire!
TXGymGuy84

Post by TXGymGuy84 »

I've been a member since I got my license at age 16. I've only used it a handful of times over the years, but when I needed it I was really glad I had it.
GridironGems

Post by GridironGems »

jlawrence01 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:14 am
IngognitoUSA wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:57 pm AAA needs better marketing.

If you have coverage from your Insurance, all towing, tire change, running out of gas, locked keys, battery jump count as Insurance Claims on your CLUE report. AAA services do not count on CLUE report, if more people knew this, AAA will have a surge in membership.
Clark Howard noted that a number of his listeners noted that their auto insurance rates went up as a result of using their auto insurance for roadside service.

I have NO intention of changing a tire on a freeqay and my wait has never been more than one hpur no matter how remote my location has been.

I will renew it next year.
Clark Howard was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the original post. Clark says to never use roadside assistance with your insurance company as they can mark it as a claim and put in on your CLUE report, and could raise your premiums. I asked my insurance agent recently about this and he said their company wouldn't make a claim on it, however it would be put on my CLUE report (not sure that makes sense, as if it is on my CLUE report, that would be because they made a claim). But maybe I just do not understand how all that works...my insurance agent made it sound like it wouldn't raise my premium though
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

fittan wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:24 am Is there a difference between using AAA and the rest? Seriously, whether it is Geico or Chase or any free service from credit card, they all use the same provider. Meaning does AAA have their own "fleet" and thus can provide better service?
Think it was stated earlier by someone else but Premier membership gives us long range tows which we want as we take a lot of road trips.

All programs do not use the same provider. I once cancelled AAA and used another roadside program. On one occasion it took them over an hour. On another, they couldn't send anyone out. This wasn't out in the middle of nowhere but in the middle of a major city. Never had such problems with AAA.

Definitely do whatever works for you but never conflate "doesn't work for me" with "no one uses". People definitely still use AAA as they are still in business.
Dead Man Walking wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:06 pm I'm curious about the lack of spare tires in new vehicles. What do you do when a tire is shredded?
Call AAA.

A previous car that we owned had a spare but I called AAA anyway. The car had staggered wheels/tires and the blown out tire was a rear. That meant I would have had to remove the rear, pull a front and mount it on the rear and then mount the spare on the front. Calling AAA was a lot less hassle.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Whatever people want to say I have found AAA a very useful roadside service which for me is easily worth the price. If anyone prefers an alternative or nothing at all, that is certainly up to them.
TheEternalVortex

Post by TheEternalVortex »

I use them for my auto/home insurance so membership is required. Its basically more than free because the total cost is still less than other insurance by around $100/yr. I’ve used it maybe 3 times ever and it was very helpful.
Hope123

Post by Hope123 »

I have it and also have emergency road side assistance coverage from my insurance company. Couple of times I needed assistance, the wait was over two hours and my insurance company’s estimated wait was lower than AAA. I am going to cancel AAA.