Do people still use AAA?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
alfaspider

Re: Do people still use AAA?

Post by alfaspider » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:14 pm

denovo wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:11 pm
alfaspider wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:54 pm
denovo wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:49 pm
AAA is obselete. Like the old copper landlines, it is only being kept alive by older generations that are using it out of habit and tradition.
And people like me who drive unreliable Italian cars to drive on race tracks 200 miles away and can get a free tow all the way back to my garage if something breaks down :mrgreen:
Can't get them from a car insurer or your credit card for half the price?
You can get towing insurance cheap, but not insurance that will show up in 30 minutes and tow you 200 miles on a flatbed to the destination of your choice.

boglegirl

Post by boglegirl » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:02 pm

Something to keep in mind if you buy an over-priced AAA battery: We had one fail within the warranty period. However, we had let our AAA membership expire. This nullified the warranty - no, that's not stated anywhere on the paperwork, but we spent 30 minutes on the phone talking to the AAA dispatcher and supervisor who refused to send a truck out to us because we weren't current members. And there was no way to exchange the battery without them sending out a truck. So my husband drove to Costco and purchased a battery for half the cost of the failed AAA battery.

If AAA was trying to figure out a way to make sure I'd never sign up for their membership again, they found it.

boglegirl

Post by boglegirl » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:06 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:14 pm
denovo wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:11 pm
alfaspider wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:54 pm
denovo wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:49 pm
AAA is obselete. Like the old copper landlines, it is only being kept alive by older generations that are using it out of habit and tradition.
And people like me who drive unreliable Italian cars to drive on race tracks 200 miles away and can get a free tow all the way back to my garage if something breaks down :mrgreen:
Can't get them from a car insurer or your credit card for half the price?
You can get towing insurance cheap, but not insurance that will show up in 30 minutes and tow you 200 miles on a flatbed to the destination of your choice.
We've had mixed experiences using roadside assistance from a credit card or auto insurance company. But we've also had mixed experiences using AAA in the past. Sometimes it would take 20 minutes, sometimes it would take an hour, no matter who dispatched it. I'm pretty sure every truck dispatched to us, whether it was by AAA or someone else, had the AAA logo on the truck. If you have other options available, I wouldn't pay for AAA just because you think you'll get roadside assistance faster.

sport

Post by sport » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:28 pm

boglegirl wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:02 pm
So my husband drove to Costco and purchased a battery for half the cost of the failed AAA battery.
If you compare the ratings on the Costco battery with the AAA battery, I am pretty sure you will find that the Costco unit is a better product as well as being less expensive. You do have to get it installed, however.

boglegirl

Post by boglegirl » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:52 pm

sport wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:28 pm
boglegirl wrote:
So my husband drove to Costco and purchased a battery for half the cost of the failed AAA battery.
If you compare the ratings on the Costco battery with the AAA battery, I am pretty sure you will find that the Costco unit is a better product as well as being less expensive. You do have to get it installed, however.
Husband did that, too. :D

If I were on my own, I might see the benefit to paying AAA for a battery. But they seem to charge a premium for the battery + mobile installation, which doesn't seem quite fair since you're already paying a membership fee. So I really recommend if you have the time and know anybody handy - a friend, neighbor, etc. - you can do much better purchasing the battery elsewhere. (a few posters have mentioned upthread - make sure you replace your battery BEFORE it fails, so it doesn't become a roadside emergency, but is instead something you can schedule when convenient).

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:02 pm

Lots of auto part stores will install batteries for no charge. Ask around.
Last edited by AntsOnTheMarch on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

denovo

Post by denovo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:07 pm

sport wrote:
boglegirl wrote:
It's rather trivial to install a battery. After I bought one from Costco, it took my mechanic 2 minutes and he didn't charge me for it.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

workingmanblues

Post by workingmanblues » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:41 pm

Yes. Have a bunch of old cars (1995, 1998, 2000), and it's good security. Needed it at least once a year for one or the other. They have always been very quick and good service. Given the money I have saved in not buying newer cars, I think the $80 or whatever is no pain..

sport

Post by sport » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:21 pm

denovo wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:07 pm
sport wrote:
boglegirl wrote:
It's rather trivial to install a battery. After I bought one from Costco, it took my mechanic 2 minutes and he didn't charge me for it.
Yes, it is rather trivial. However, it can be very dangerous if done incorrectly. Always wear eye protection (safety glasses) when working around an auto battery. The "empty" space over the liquid is filled with an explosive mixture of hydrogen and oxygen. A spark in the wrong place and.........BOOM. People have lost eyes this way.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:43 pm

I'm a late comer to AAA, but have been happy with their service. Recently, I went to rent a car, and was blown away by their cost compared to what I was seeing from others. We got a midsize car from SNA (John Wayne Airport - Orange Cty) for $210 for 10 days. This was more than $90 less than what i saw on either Expedia or Hotwire, 20% less than Hertz direct.

denovo

Post by denovo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:12 pm

Artful Dodger wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:43 pm
I'm a late comer to AAA, but have been happy with their service. Recently, I went to rent a car, and was blown away by their cost compared to what I was seeing from others. We got a midsize car from SNA (John Wayne Airport - Orange Cty) for $210 for 10 days. This was more than $90 less than what i saw on either Expedia or Hotwire, 20% less than Hertz direct.

Did you check Costco?
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

BeTheMatch

Post by BeTheMatch » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:44 pm

denovo wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:12 pm
Artful Dodger wrote:

Did you check Costco?
For us, AAA was cheaper than Costco.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:54 pm

I use AAA service recently on my trip, I got one of those keyless ignition car, went I turned off the car, nothing sound to let me know the headlights still on. Needless to say I had a dead battery and had to call AAA. I didn’t purchase roadside assistance with my rental car. It’s well worth the $48 per year membership. I also thought we need to have that membership to get AAA insurance.

tryterry

Post by tryterry » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:33 pm

I've signed up for AAA when I discovered I needed them and it worked out great. They also still offer discounts on hotels and trip planning services which makes the cost worth it for anyone who travels more than once a year

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:00 pm

denovo wrote:
Artful Dodger wrote:

Did you check Costco?
We're not members. Closest store is 25 miles away, and we're not warehouse buyer types anyway.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:13 pm

BeTheMatch wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:44 pm
denovo wrote:
Artful Dodger wrote:

Did you check Costco?
For us, AAA was cheaper than Costco.
I got considerably cheaper rental (like 35% less) using AAA rates with Hertz in Spain last month versus what Costco was quoting. It definitely varies, though. I don't like using expedia or other third-party services for hotel or car rental (more things to go wrong), so we find AAA discounts useful at times. We used to use their hotel guides quite a bit on road trips, but have drifted to tripadvisor for much of that. We don't make much use of their services these days, but the discounts help keep the net cost down.

StealthRabbit

Post by StealthRabbit » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:52 am

40 year old daily driver = good idea to have AAA (or towing insurance)

I have never had to tow my 40 yo daily driver in for repair. :wink:

I bought ONE new car, it got towed for repair a lot! :twisted:

AAA has other benefits for international travelers (and those who lock their keys in the car often...)

Used it a few time for rental car issues (usually 'self-locking' their keys inside)

at home... I haven't had to remove my keys or lock my doors (car or house) for 50+ yrs.

Eazyndn

Post by Eazyndn » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:48 am

I’ve been a AAA Member in Southern California for over 50 years. I wouldn’t be without it for various reasons, including the fact that I have All my Insurance with them. Nobody comes close to beating their rates.

mediahound

Post by mediahound » Tue May 22, 2018 5:38 pm

I've decided to let my membership lapse after decades with a AAA membership for a few reasons:

-They refused to honor the discount for signing up for 'automatic renewals' even though their own written letter to me offered it. They said I used that before so no longer qualify.

-I work from home so don't drive much.

-I have some of the same coverage through one or more of my credit cards.

-The last time i called AAA to have my flat tire changed to the spare, the tow truck driver was very unprofessional and would not drive or walk a few yards to where my car was instead asking me to drive my car (with the flat tire!) down to his truck.

panine

Post by panine » Tue May 22, 2018 7:00 pm

my wife and i have had aaa for more than 20 years. the value of the free maps and books alone are worth half of our membership. they've charged dead batteries about 3 times over the years... every time fast and professional. the peace of mind is priceless. i can't imagine changing a tire on a freeway in this day and age of distracted drivers.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:14 pm

Safeco. It's like $10 a year per car. Needed a tow when my Accord died in my driveway. Tow truck was there in under an hour. Was a AAA member a few years back. Now they harass me with constant mailers trying to get me back. I stuff the return envelope with everything I can fit that they sent me. My wife says I'm wasting my time but I keep doing it. Someday I'll quit. Probably not.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue May 22, 2018 7:32 pm

We still use it. The last time we used was in 2017. We were at a campground in Nebraska. We let the battery go dead, my own fault. I have no doubt the campground hosts could have helped us call a tow truck with a booster battery or perhaps given us a boost themselves, but anyway, AAA worked fine. Took about an hour. They were very good about communicating (return call when they knew what company was coming, then the tow company itself called us).

They changed a tire for me in 2015 or 2016. Another "feature" of sorts is that AAA works well with ordinary phone calls. Last year the campground had weak cell signal, good enough for calls but not for cellular data and Internet searches.

The individual state maps that the states themselves put out, which you can get at "welcome centers," are actually better than AAA, but you often can't get them in advance and it often isn't convenient to stop at the welcome centers... and we noticed last year that for whatever reason, a lot of states were cutting back and a lot of welcome centers were closed or had restricted hours. Start out the trip with a decent set of AAA maps.

(Oh, and by the way: I've tried dozens of times using printed out Google Maps pages and it isn't the same. The information density on a printed road map is still an order of magnitude higher than a computer screen. Road maps are extremely useful for seeing at a glance what state parks and campgrounds are in an area and where they are, as well as the lists of "points of interest." On one trip one of our nicest stops was at Letchworth State Park in New York State and I don't think we'd have discovered it if we hadn't seen a thick-outline area on the map and said "that looks interesting, let's check that one out.")

It is what it is. It's good enough and cheap enough that it is just easier to keep renewing than to find out what it is like without it.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue May 22, 2018 7:38 pm

I have had AAA membership for many years. I think I will not renew it this year. The main advantage of free travel maps and tour books is no longer helpful when we have GPS, TripAdvisor, etc. I was thinking to drop it a few years ago, but I had their insurance for my car and home (I did not bother to know if it mattered).

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed May 23, 2018 7:41 am

flyingaway wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:38 pm
I have had AAA membership for many years. I think I will not renew it this year. The main advantage of free travel maps and tour books is no longer helpful when we have GPS, TripAdvisor, etc. I was thinking to drop it a few years ago, but I had their insurance for my car and home (I did not bother to know if it mattered).
My in-laws had AAA (Michigan) for years for both insurance and auto club membership. As they aged, we got more into their finances, including their insurance policies. They never did comparison shopping, so I did it for them. As a result, we ended up changing their coverage although not leaving AAA. What we did run across was archaic rules around what is connected to what. They required motorclub membership for the insurance, but they also tied the insurance rate to things like how you paid, i.e. direct debit from the checking account. Every time we wanted to make a change it was a hassle. Assigned "rep" was no longer even working for AAA, and it was a pain to get them to change anything. Eventually we switched to AMICA for the insurance, and then dropped the auto club (since they were no longer driving).

The funny thing was then they started soliciting my FIL for life insurance... They knew his age, and weren't going to write a policy for someone in their early nineties. They also solicited him for auto insurance when we dropped that but still had homeowners, because they hadn't flagged his account as "no longer driving".

As to mapping, GoogleMaps can be downloaded ahead of time if you're not going to have a cell signal.

In general, they are behind the times.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Thu May 24, 2018 12:03 pm

For just getting from Point A to Point B, Google Maps is fine--in fact it's much superior to paper maps for that purpose. I never use paper maps for this purpose anymore. As pointed out above, you can download maps to your phone if you think you will be out of cell reception. You can also download maps onto a GPS-enabled tablet, and use that-even without data or wifi. (Obviously, in both cases you have to plan ahead and download the maps in advance somewhere where you DO have data or wifi.)

For exploring an area as a tourist--getting an overview of the area and seeing what parks and geographical features they are, the AAA maps are vastly superior, and in my opinion also much better than most other paper maps out there.

For example, if you are going to do a road trip in the Southwest (visiting the Grand Canyon, Arches, Zion, Petrified Forest National Park, the AAA's "Indian Country" map is very, very useful, and cannot be matched by online maps.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Thu May 24, 2018 2:32 pm

Finridge wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:03 pm
For example, if you are going to do a road trip in the Southwest (visiting the Grand Canyon, Arches, Zion, Petrified Forest National Park, the AAA's "Indian Country" map is very, very useful, and cannot be matched by online maps.
Especially since cell phone coverage in those rural areas.

Also, some states are placing signs on rural roads informing drivers that the road may not be appropriate despite that GPS is stating that the road is the preferred rate.

Almost there

Post by Almost there » Thu May 24, 2018 3:35 pm

There will always be something special about paper maps which some people have problems reading. Reminder: too completely rely on your GPS can be a big mistake since many parts in our country don’t offer WiFi service.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. — Katharine Hepburn

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu May 24, 2018 9:31 pm

Since I subscribed with AAA a year ago I never received a map! Should I ask for them?
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

sport

Post by sport » Thu May 24, 2018 10:12 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:31 pm
Since I subscribed with AAA a year ago I never received a map! Should I ask for them?
As far as I know, you have to go into a AAA office and ask for whatever maps you want. There is no charge for them.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Thu May 24, 2018 10:39 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:31 pm
AAA produces many hundreds of maps. Did you ask the folks behind the counter for the specific maps you need? They don’t come to you with a map selection, although they do that for batteries.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Thu May 24, 2018 10:44 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 pm
Almost there wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:35 pm
There will always be something special about paper maps which some people have problems reading. Reminder: too completely rely on your GPS can be a big mistake since many parts in our country don’t offer WiFi service.
But dedicated GPS devices do not need or use WiFi, they receive satellite-based radio transmissions which do indeed cover the entire country. I don't think you meant WiFi, I think you meant 4G or LTE cellular data which is also not needed or used by dedicated GPS devices.
Not sure what a “dedicated gps” is, but the gps satellites only transmit information for position, time, and satellite details. Mapping, if any, needs data at your receiver. That data can be obtained just in time, or pre loaded. I use my mobile phone with preloaded maps to avoid needing mobile data.

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu May 24, 2018 10:57 pm

I've had AAA for the past 15 years or so. I've used them on average around twice per year. These past few years its been more like 3-4 times per year. If you need service near the center of a major city you will most likely get an actual AAA tow truck. If it's further out you may get a contractor tow truck. I have the service with a 100 mile tow. It's saved me quite a bit of money over the years and I don't regret paying for it.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri May 25, 2018 10:14 am

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. — Katharine Hepburn

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Fri May 25, 2018 10:35 am

We use the heck out of AAA. Two old cars and a ton of flat tires! My guess is that we've been using them 3x per year for the last few years. In a stressful situation when the car won't start, you get a flat tire, or you lock your keys in the car, it's nice to have AAA and not add to that stress.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri May 25, 2018 10:22 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:14 am
criticalmass wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:44 pm
Nicolas wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 pm
Almost there wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:35 pm
But dedicated GPS devices do not need or use WiFi, they receive satellite-based radio transmissions which do indeed cover the entire country. I don't think you meant WiFi, I think you meant 4G or LTE cellular data which is also not needed or used by dedicated GPS devices.
Not sure what a “dedicated gps” is, but the gps satellites only transmit information for position, time, and satellite details. Mapping, if any, needs data at your receiver. That data can be obtained just in time, or pre loaded. I use my mobile phone with preloaded maps to avoid needing mobile data.
By the term "dedicated GPS" I'm referring to units whose sole purpose is that of guiding travelers (usually motorists) by means of the GPS system, units such as those manufactured by Garmin or TomTom, for example. These are the devices that people commonly attach to the inside of their windshields for reference while driving. I'm making the distinction here to differentiate them from smart phones which of course serve many functions.

The point I was trying to make is that you don't need to have any cell service to be able to navigate with one of these devices. This is in contrast to smart phones. You can be hundreds of miles from the nearest cell tower and it'll still work. They don't use cell signals. The previous poster said you could be in trouble due to lack of "WiFi service".
As I said in the post you quoted, I use my smart phone for navigation. I don’t have or need mobile data because smart phones don’t need cell signals (or WiFi) for navigation. Make sure your device has maps loaded for the area you need and leave the phone in airplane mode, if you wish.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sat May 26, 2018 7:14 am

We've had AAA for years. Sometimes we get a decent discount on a hotel, this is usually enough to justify the membership.

About a month ago I also used them to replace a dead car battery. At first it was a jump start and I was headed over to Sears but the technician said he had a compatible battery in the back of his truck. Took him about 5 minutes to swap it out and the total charge was about 20% less than the quote from Sears! Excellent service and it saved me a couple hours :beer

timmy

Post by timmy » Sat May 26, 2018 8:11 am

Yes. I fabulous value.

My wife drives on the highway a lot. She has no desire to change a tire, etc. It happens once a year (flat, something) that we call AAA. It's a small amount for the peace of mind.

I use it when I have issues on the highway. I will not change the flat if it is one the highway side. I had a friend who was hit and killed that way. That's one data point but also an extremely risky thing. (While the tow driver can shield himself to a large degree...)

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:03 am

For less than $100/year for both of us, AAA is a no-brainer.

Badged trucks and uniformed employees reduce apprehension of who is going to respond to a call. Wife is out and about far more than I am, so I want a trusted supplier to respond to her call. Not sure if more rural areas have the AAA badged trucks or not, but our location near a large metro area does send badged trucks.

I just see no reason to gamble on road service, and I am perfectly fine if I don't have to use it ever again. I will gladly continue to pay AAA for the service.

At the end of the day, the small amount we pay is just peanuts, a totally inconsequential expense in our budget.

Broken Man 1999

PS: We used AAA battery service once, and the battery failed right before the 36 month replacement time. The AAA driver who responded told us he couldn't replace the battery, as I had a wheelchair lift and they shouldn't have installed the first one. so he noted my account and AAA refunded my initial battery cost in total. And, so far as quality, I have had various brands, all properly sized, and they pretty much all last around three years. I could extend their life with a battery maintainer, but that would be a hassle for wife to unplug before she took off on an errand.

So I wouldn't be afraid use a AAA battery if I could, as their batteries are just as good, and comparably around my parts .

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

mediahound

Post by mediahound » Sat May 26, 2018 11:08 am

AAA batteries are made by Johnson controls.. Same people who make walmart brand, toyota, and more. They are pretty much all the same. What you need to pay attention to is how fresh they are when they're installed. When you but them in a store, you can check that. It's not clear that the battery AAA installs for you is going to be fresh.

sport

Post by sport » Sat May 26, 2018 12:08 pm

mediahound wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:08 am
AAA batteries are made by Johnson controls.. Same people who make walmart brand, toyota, and more. They are pretty much all the same. What you need to pay attention to is how fresh they are when they're installed. When you but them in a store, you can check that. It's not clear that the battery AAA installs for you is going to be fresh.
What is even more important than freshness, is the ratings of the battery. Every brand has a range of performance ratings for a given size battery. The physical size, called "group size" determines what will fit into your vehicle. Within any group size, there will be a variety of performance ratings. There generally is not a difference in the quality of materials or workmanship. However, simply put, a battery with better ratings has more lead in it. This means it will perform better in very cold weather, and generally last longer than a lesser model, everything else being equal. In the event of a charging failure, such as a broken fan belt, a better battery will also last longer while you drive to a safe location (reserve capacity rating).

I was a design and development engineer for an auto battery manufacturer. I always buy a top rated battery (performance ratings, not brand name) when I buy a replacement. The cost difference is much less than the cost of being stranded, which may occur at a very bad time, or in a very bad place, and usually pays for itself in longer life.

I don't know the ratings of the AAA batteries, but it should be easy enough to find out. I would not expect them to be the highest ratings because most people just look at the price without being aware of the differences in performance.

Mickey7

Post by Mickey7 » Sat May 26, 2018 10:55 pm

Yes.

Can you piecemeal the different services that AAA provides for a lower price? Probably so.
Can you use GPS instead of maps? Probably so.
Can you find notaries somewhere else? Probably so.
Can you get passport photos taken elsewhere? Probably so.
Can you call a locksmith to come out when you're locked out of your home? Probably so.
Can you use different cards for your hotel/car discounts? Probably so.

I am a member for convenience and peace of mind.

We all value things differently, not rightly or wrongly.

BTW is it me or did this question open up a box of snarkiness?

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sat May 26, 2018 11:41 pm

AAA batteries are made by Johnson controls.. Same people who make walmart brand, toyota, and more. They are pretty much all the same. What you need to pay attention to is how fresh they are when they're installed.
And like everything, they aint' made like they use to be. Heat is a particular killer of batteries

My older car would go thru batteries every couple of years, even supposedly high quality ones. Fortunately, my independent mechanic would just swap in a new one at no charge after AAA would jump start me so I could drive it in..

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Sun May 27, 2018 9:37 am

The most recent data shows that 55.6 million people (55,600,000) use AAA in the USA and Canada so I would say yes, people still use AAA.