Boglehead's approach to holiday gift giving?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ASpenderInRecovery

Boglehead's approach to holiday gift giving?

Post by ASpenderInRecovery » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:28 am

Hello Everyone,

I've recently adopted a Bogleheads lifestyle and have become very disciplined with budgeting,savings, investing. Historically, my wife and I used to splurge on Christmas gift giving (dual income no kids) and I now view that as excessive as we just ended up with a ton of expensive stuff and set ourselves back financially. Our plan this year was to set a reasonable budget for gift giving and strictly adhere to it so we aren't deviating from our financial plans. My hope is to have a more modest holiday, still be generous, but not make it feel too restricted.

How do other Bogleheads approach this?

WhiteMaxima

Re: Boglehead's approach to holiday gift giving?

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:33 am

I would gift a Vanguard Total Stock Fund to adult and a 529 account to kid and let them start invest. Then each year after I will gift toward to these accounts.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:37 am

My goal is always to buy something for my wife that she really likes, but would never buy for herself. She's by far the more frugal of the two of us, and rarely treats herself, so it's my job to do so for Christmas, birthdays, etc.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:44 am

I set a budget for my holiday shopping: no more then $20 per person. It's my compromise between my desire to stop gift giving for the adults in the family and the family members who want to continue the gift giving tradition.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:27 pm

IMO one of the great benefits of living below your means is to be able to easily afford to give nice gifts if you want. And giving nice gifts usually makes the recipient happy, which makes me happy.