Europe River Cruise Trip Insurance - Any experience?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Quickblue02

Europe River Cruise Trip Insurance - Any experience?

Post by Quickblue02 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:02 am

I am planning a river cruise trip to Europe in the spring 2018 with Viking. I am considering buying trip insurance for medical costs or trip cancellation from the Insuremytrip.com site. Viking offered insurance but its very expensive. There are a lot of companies and plans to choose from. Do you folks have any experience or recommendations on insurance Companies for trips.

jayk238

Re: Europe River Cruise Trip Insurance - Any experience?

Post by jayk238 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 am

the chase sapphire preferred or reserve both offer insurance so we dont take it out.

If you purchase tickets w the card theres no fee. The cards each ahve their own cost. Preferred is 90 after first year free. Reserve is technically 450. But if you spend 300 in travel at least then its refunded- so its effectively 150 a year if you travel frequently. Either one should cover these costs with other amenities.

Herbert

Post by Herbert » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:16 am

If you are interested in purchasing trip insurance, some additional sites I would recommend are Travel Guard, Allianz, and Travelex. Most importantly, you would want to look at a "cancel for any reason" policy. My better half moonlights as a travel agent, and has had trip insurance save several of her clients who had fallen ill and had other circumstances come up. It's all about what makes you feel comfortable, as some people don't want to spend extra money on travel insurance. YMMV. :D

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:38 am

Quickblue02 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:02 am
I am planning a river cruise trip to Europe in the spring 2018 with Viking. I am considering buying trip insurance for medical costs or trip cancellation from the Insuremytrip.com site. Viking offered insurance but its very expensive. There are a lot of companies and plans to choose from. Do you folks have any experience or recommendations on insurance Companies for trips.
I'd suggest that you read/browse www.CruiseCritic.com in general, about Viking, and also about travel insurance.

We've always purchased our travel insurance through
www.TripInsuranceStore.com

All but once, we purchased policies from Travel Insured.
Importantly, we've had two large claims, and they were paid without any nonsense.
(In one case, Steve, owner of Trip Insurance Store, helped us figure out which part of the policy would indeed cover us, when we were concerned that an unusual situation might not be covered. He helped us start the claim with Travel Insured that one time. It was, and paid promptly.)

They'll also help you find the least expensive coverage for what you want/need for your trip.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:38 pm

I have purchased trip insurance once, for an Arctic cruise. The cruise company required some sort of evacuation insurance although I primarily wanted coverage in the event of family illness. I bought it only for the cost of the cruise itself (not air travel and other types of expenses). I don't recall the cost (or even the supplier) but it was not unreasonable.

One thing you may not be able to insure against is bus travel in the event of very high or low water.