Priority Pass- not quite totally useful

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
adamthesmythe

Priority Pass- not quite totally useful

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:07 pm

Premium Chase credit cards (and possibly others) offer Priority Pass for no cost. Priority Pass allows access to some airport lounges. I had a chance to try it out on a recent trip.

BUT- access is not as good as you might hope. Some lounges are only available for a few hours per day. Some limit the length of stay. Some may be in a different terminal. Some major airports have none. And some- on the Priority Pass list- have "capacity limits."

I was able to get some benefit from the pass. But I wouldn't want to pay extra for it. It may make your travel less uncomfortable, but don't count on it.

Iorek

Re: Priority Pass- not quite totally useful

Post by Iorek » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:11 pm

I don't disagree with you, but I can also say that there have been times when it has been very useful indeed. So I think I'd call it "occasionally pretty nice to have" (which isn't really very different ;))

student

Post by student » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:31 pm

I think in general that they are not very useful domestically. However, they are adding restaurants to it. http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... cess-cost/

bampf

Post by bampf » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:38 pm

I have it. Its great when the club you really want isn't available. But in general the lounges are smaller, less clean and less upscale. But, it beats the hell out of sitting in the normal airport chairs. Wouldn't go out and get one, but, nice perk with the chase card...

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:50 pm

We've had it for a few years.

The quality of the lounges varies so much... from tacky with few refreshments and little comfort.

And a few others are extremely comfortable, with nice food, fresh fruit, and some nice beverages.

But none of them come close to the really upscale lounges for International premium class travelers.

Well, except for one... The Cathay Pacific Lounge in Osaka was pretty poor, but at least we had read about it in advance, and were prepared. They shared with other airlines, given the limited number of flights, I guess.

But overall, we'd probably find it worth paying for Priority Pass, if we didn't get it as a comp.
Just about anything beats sitting for hours in a regular airport waiting area, and some are "more worse" than others.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:10 pm

My experience has been different. Over the last year, I have found PriorityPassSelect indispensable for overseas travel. Also used it in a couple of domestic overseas terminals. It has been one of the best benefits of my Chase Sapphire Reserve card. I have never been asked to leave due to exceeding a time limit in any lounge, and have frequently brought guests. I wish I could use the app for entry though, instead of needing the physical card. That seems to only be possible if you join directly. Getting a replacement card when you don’t live in the States can be a challenge.
Only other thing on the wish list is for them to add BA Executive Club lounges to the list, as they appear very nice in places. However, I’m working on alternative access for those...

student

Post by student » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:15 pm

Diogenes wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:10 pm
My experience has been different. Over the last year, I have found PriorityPassSelect indispensable for overseas travel. Also used it in a couple of domestic overseas terminals. It has been one of the best benefits of my Chase Sapphire Reserve card. I have never been asked to leave due to exceeding a time limit in any lounge, and have frequently brought guests. I wish I could use the app for entry though, instead of needing the physical card. That seems to only be possible if you join directly. Getting a replacement card when you don’t live in the States can be a challenge.
Only other thing on the wish list is for them to add BA Executive Club lounges to the list, as they appear very nice in places. However, I’m working on alternative access for those...
You can now get a digit card. https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/chase- ... rity-pass/

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:38 pm

Wow, thanks for the tip on restaurants, turns out that I will benefit from that at DIA.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:56 am

It’s a benefit I have found very useful. It obviously very much depends on your travel pattern and the airports you visit. As with pretty much any credit card benefit, not everyone gets the same value out of it. If every cardholder was able to extract as much value out of it as I did just this year, they wouldn’t be able to offer it for the price it costs.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:22 am

Don't be dissuaded by signs limiting access. I have had success by asking nicely at the desk and been admitted.

It isn't a perk that I would pay for, but as a freebie with Chase Sapphire Reserve it's all right. CSR is the best one I think because it allows unlimited guests for free.

BTW the "minute suite" in Philadephia is the lamest Priority Pass facility I've seen yet.

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:58 am

It definitely all depends. We were pleasantly surprised during a lengthy trip to Peru. We found every airport, including those with just a handful of flights a day, had priority pass lounges. Granted, with the exception of the international departure lounge in Lima, they weren't real fancy, but we sure didn't pass the opportunity up.

Haven't tried in the US.
Edit Signature

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:41 am

adamthesmythe wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:07 pm
Premium Chase credit cards (and possibly others) offer Priority Pass for no cost. Priority Pass allows access to some airport lounges. I had a chance to try it out on a recent trip.

BUT- access is not as good as you might hope. Some lounges are only available for a few hours per day. Some limit the length of stay. Some may be in a different terminal. Some major airports have none. And some- on the Priority Pass list- have "capacity limits."

I was able to get some benefit from the pass. But I wouldn't want to pay extra for it. It may make your travel less uncomfortable, but don't count on it.
It varies greatly depends on the airport. I find Priority Pass very useful when I travel internationally. Nice place to rest with free food & refreshment. Some airport also have showers and places to lay down. I don't have such luck when get to domestic airport.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:52 am

I would not pay for a credit card to use airport lounges, I am certainly not against using it for free.

However, if I have to pay an annual fee credit card to use it, I'd rather pay the lounge directly if I actually need it. You only buy what is needed.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:58 am

flyingaway wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:52 am
I would not pay for a credit card to use airport lounges, I am certainly not against using it for free.

However, if I have to pay an annual fee credit card to use it, I'd rather pay the lounge directly if I actually need it. You only buy what is needed.
Some of these airport lounges aren't available for "purchase by the day", unfortunately.

We happen to have a card that gives access, but we had that before the Priority Pass system was included.
We've definitely used it.
Now that we travel more, we might have arranged a way to get access, even if we had to get a charge card with an annual fee, depending upon "how much", especially if we tended to be in places with the nicer lounges.

It's all hit or miss in terms of whether a particular lounge is a real treat or not.
I wasn't aware that any Priority Pass lounges had showers, etc.
I thought those were just the Premium Cabin lounges of airlines, but perhaps some of those participate?
Time to explore a bit more about access...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:05 am

Yossarian wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:22 am
It isn't a perk that I would pay for, but as a freebie with Chase Sapphire Reserve it's all right. CSR is the best one I think because it allows unlimited guests for free.
It’s not a freebie. You are paying an annual fee for the card, which pays for a basket of benefits. PP Select is part of that. Just because you or I can’t identify how much exactly of the AF is allocated to PP doesn’t mean it is free. Businesses - whether Chase or Amex or PP - are not in the business of giving stuff away for free. :happy

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:45 pm

student wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:15 pm

You can now get a digit card. https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/chase- ... rity-pass/
I wasn’t aware of this, thanks Student! It seems the app must be loaded with the current card info, so I still must get the card in my hands every year first. But still great news!

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:36 pm

I use it often overseas. Not at all in the U.S.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:46 pm

I use it whenever travel abroad. Come with CSR card. I like it.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:49 pm

I find it very useful . I have used the lounge at many airports. The Air France lounge at SFO is very nice. Las Vegas lounge was fine too.

Last week we were flying back from Ho Chi Minh on EVA and had a 4 hour layover in Taipei. The "More lounge" didn't have much in terms of food, except for the Haagen-Dasz ice cream, but it had a shower. Being able to take a shower at hour #8 of our 22 hour journey back home to San Jose was a huge boon. We were much more refreshed. I have also used the lounge in Tokyo and Ho Chi Minh and those were decent.

IMO, the Sapphire Reserve easily justifies the $150 net annual fee. It's actually $225 with authorized user now since my husband cancelled his CSR.

I cancelled my Amex Platinum also. Hours of the Centurion lounge at SFO were too limited and that's the only one I ever used. No way I could justify the $550 fee for Amex.

HornedToad

Post by HornedToad » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:56 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:05 am
Yossarian wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:22 am
It’s not a freebie. You are paying an annual fee for the card, which pays for a basket of benefits. PP Select is part of that. Just because you or I can’t identify how much exactly of the AF is allocated to PP doesn’t mean it is free. Businesses - whether Chase or Amex or PP - are not in the business of giving stuff away for free. :happy
Semantics... It's included in a service that I'm already paying for due to the other benefits of the service. Therefore it's not an extra cost to use.