It's that time of year again... buying christmas gifts

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MortgageOnBlack

It's that time of year again... buying christmas gifts

Post by MortgageOnBlack » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:06 pm

My girl and I just had our annual fight about the Christmas budget. I absolutely hate the pressures of society forcing me to buy unnecessary gifts for people who don't need it. I checked our budget ($600 total ($300 each)) and it still frustrates me; my brain just isn't wired this way.

How can I shake my inner-scrooge one time of year? How does everyone do it? :annoyed

sambb

Re: It's that time of year again... buying christmas gifts

Post by sambb » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:09 pm

wow, i spend $300 on my boss's gift, and the same on his boss's gift. I think it is the cost of doing business, or having friends or having family. most of all, i ENJOY giving these people nice things to show my appreciation. Money can always be made, but relationships cant always be repaired.

veindoc

Post by veindoc » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:13 pm

I'm right there with you. My husband's family loves to give gifts during the holiday. I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to find the perfect gift for them. I also have to feign enthusiasm for the gifts they give me which I have no plans to wear or use. I wish we could just save each other the money and time and forgo all the gift giving. Just simply enjoy each other's company. I would love that but I know it will never happen.

I do give my secretary and other employees gifts and I find it much more satisfying. I don't know them super well so I just give cash. They appreciate the gesture and they will certainly use it. I don't waste my time searching for the "perfect" gift like I do with family members. Win-win.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:16 pm

I always ask for underwear and socks. That way I don't get any gifts for Christmas.

Well, you did ask how everyone does it, right?
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:39 pm

We do not give any gifts and have made it clear we do not expect to get any. This was all verbalized. This took a couple years, but eventually people come round. You just have to put your foot down. Stick with it.
There is a money aspect, but more so it is a relief of stress and buying or receiving essentially useless gifts. You know, those things people buy in desperation because they don't have much idea about what you would want. In reverse from my end it is the same thing. Some last minute, settle for this, gift that I buy for someone else.
While maybe it is the thought that counts, it is certainly problematic insofar as there needs to be a gift tied to it.
All the same goes for birthdays.

There are a lot of feelings associated with gift giving. Are they comparable in price. In the thought that went into them. Motive and obligation and hierarchy in the family or friend circle. So even if you give and get there are undercurrents of feelings that linger. Carry over to following years.
Some people may be shoppers. Compulsive even. Christmas may be their spotlight time. Although if compulsive about it, then the gifting part is only a means to that end.

poker27

Post by poker27 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:44 pm

Christmas adds up real quick. Just bought my team gifts 20 x $30. $100 for my boss. Then prolly two more gifts that are $50 each. And that is just my darn office

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:51 pm

I’m shocked you guys give your boss gifts. I would never give my boss a gift.

IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:57 pm

I love Christmas, as does my family, but we keep it inexpensive and simple. I just buy for my husband and four children and my mother, and I donate to a few charities, too. The most I spend on each person is $50-60. Total Christmas budget for everyone/everything is $600.

3dream3

Post by 3dream3 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:23 pm

My side of the family always gets everyone Christmas gifts... even though we tell them not to give us anything and to only give to the kids. It probably doesn't help that I'm also a big giver (I admit, I'm not very Boglehead during the holidays). I give my family small gifts to open on Christmas and then I also follow that up with money too. I always give my parents a lot of money since they're retired. I guess that I'm fortunate and very thankful for the position that I'm in and that I can afford to do this. Budget wise... I usually spend a little more than $2k on just my side of the family. My wife also gives cash to her side of the family as well but her side is not as big as my side.

blueman457

Post by blueman457 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:45 pm

Not a fan of forced giving during Christmas.

With my family, it took a while but we only exchange gifts when my immediate family is together. It's a secret santa style with a $75 or $100 cap and each person has to submit a wish list. We get gifts for our nieces and nephews as they aren't a part of the pool. This has made gift giving much easier, more pleasant, and less chaotic.

My wife's side exchanges gifts every year.... we haven't been able to switch them over yet.

Never gave gifts to my boss or support staff... I'll have to think about that one.

Blue Man

sambb

Post by sambb » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:49 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:51 pm
my boss is great, and i am so appreciative of being employed. I am so fortunate to be born in this country and have such opportunities in corportate america. My boss deserves 10x what i am getting him.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:56 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
+1. As a boss, I'd be embarrassed to get gifts from subordinates/direct reports, etc. And I've never bought gifts for any of my many bosses.

market timer

Post by market timer » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:02 pm

DW and I aren't really into gift giving. This is a big change from my childhood, where Christmas was a big deal. I spend tens of thousands a year on private school tuition and family vacations, but don't spend more than $50 for Christmas or birthdays. Don't feel like my kids are missing out on anything.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:09 pm

I'm cognizant that the holidays will come each year and who will be getting something from me, and the broad strokes of what they might want. Then I monitor for deals throughout the year. When I see something promising, I buy it, usually for 50% or less of what I might pay if I wait until December. They get a nice gift and I get a smaller credit card bill. And yes, my holiday shopping is done already.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:24 pm

Guess I've never had an inner Scrooge, although I do stick to a budget for Christmas. Christmas has always been a big deal in my family....even when we had very little money, we always made it special with thoughtful, handmade gifts. I learned that from my grandparents and my parents. When I decorate our tree, I continue to include the ornaments my mom made when she and dad were first married in 1943, had little to no money, and he was in Paratroop training. She used blown-out eggshells (from the egg she ate for breakfast), colored pencils, scraps of cloth, and cotton to make likenesses of Santa and Mrs Claus. They are a little worse for wear having decorated trees for 74 years, but I love them.

I also am one of those who makes sure I treat kids and grandkids as equally as possible. My DH and I don't exchange gifts. I make a list (with input from the recipients) check it twice, and then shop. I'm also one of those crazies who won't use gift bags. I wrap using boxes, gift wrap, and beautiful ribbon. OK, let's face it.....that's as much for me as it is for them.

To the OP, stick to your budget, put some thought into your gifts, and find some joy in watching others open those gifts.

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:56 am

We are already done -- hip hip huzzah!

Budget of $800 for presents for kid, nieces and nephews and young cousins, small gifts for the parents and then us. We came in just under this year. I went a little crazy(er) this year, but that happens almost every year.

The husband and I have a fairly strict "no presents for adults" rule, the only exception being the kid. We do get ourselves a few things, but that's because it didn't feel like Christmas the year we literally did no presents. We were driving to lunch with his parents and felt empty somehow. So now we give ourselves a small budget and buy silly things for ourselves (coffee mugs, pj's, fancy candy bars, etc).

I'm thrilled with this budget, and happy to be done. It's all wrapped and under the tree now. Woot!

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:10 am

4 presents.
1 Son-Amazon Gift Certificate.
3 grandchildren-gifts around 30 each from Amazon.
That is the extent of it.
They all know I would do anything in the world for them. :wink: :wink:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:26 am

You could tell people that in lieu of Christmas gifts, you will donate an amount to the charity of their choice. That's my default, not just for Christmas, but for many other events. People seem quite happy to do this.

minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:35 am

Buying expensive gifts for the boss seems a bit sycophantic to me. I would never do that, although I don't really have a boss. Think about it, why would you buy your boss a gift? You do all the hard work and they earn more than you.

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:14 am

We budget by having money automatically deducted from husband's paycheck which goes into a Christmas club account. It's not an enormous amount, around $1,000---but always gets spent. This method has served us well over close to the past two decades. Husband and I do not exchange gifts anymore. We will spend somewhere around $125-$200 on each child. We have four children, all over age 13. Our sons in college pretty much want/need spending money, gas money, or video games. Our teen daughters will be getting baskets of items they always run out of during the year---shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, lip balms, etc., plus some clothing and gift cards to the local hair salon. The rest of the money budgeted usually goes for getting a tree, food during Christmas/New Years, etc.

I read somewhere back many, many years ago (I think it was an etiquette post) that employees were not supposed to be gifting their boss at Christmas---that it was the boss that was supposed to show appreciation for his employees.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:48 am

We have a 2% cashback card and all our cashback rewards are allocated towards Christmas presents every year. That way is doesn't hurt since it feels more like "free" money. With our spending levels, it works out to just north of $1000 per year.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:50 am

Caduceus wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:26 am
You could tell people that in lieu of Christmas gifts, you will donate an amount to the charity of their choice. That's my default, not just for Christmas, but for many other events. People seem quite happy to do this.
The Human Fund does great work.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:46 pm

daveydoo wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:56 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
+1. As a boss, I'd be embarrassed to get gifts from subordinates/direct reports, etc. And I've never bought gifts for any of my many bosses.
Completely agree (I would hate to get a gift from an employee).

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:49 pm

I wish Christmas was really about Christmas, not about materialism. The vast majority of the country is focused on materialistic things. It is rather sickening.

Heartfelt gifts matter, not another trinket or doo-dad that gets thrown away in a year.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:50 pm

Agree with you totally, hate feeling obligated to give gifts. Where appropriate, try a secret Santa where you buy 1 gift and everyone chooses one wrapped. We're doing this year at a big family gathering, saves time and $
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:13 pm

The one gift I love to give goes to my mom. I buy her Harry and David's light fruit of the month club package. I sometimes worry about what she is eating so Giving her fruit (which she loves) seems a good year long gift.

For rest my of family I spend about $30 each. There are two very good friends I give $20 gifts. So budget is around $550a year.

1210sda

Post by 1210sda » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:50 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:50 am
Caduceus wrote:
Ha Ha. Obviously a Seinfeld fan. Me too! :beer

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:09 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Caduceus wrote:
Ugh. You beat me to it. Happy Festivus!

Wricha

Post by Wricha » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:14 pm

1210sda wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:50 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Caduceus wrote:
Ha Ha. Obviously a Seinfeld fan. Me too! :beer
Good one. I must admit I got a cow or goat from someone for a village in the third world. To this day I still think this is bizarre. Sounds like the Human Fund in drag. I sent that person Ohama NY strip and I got the cow kinda

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:31 pm

MortgageOnBlack wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:06 pm
My girl and I just had our annual fight about the Christmas budget. I absolutely hate the pressures of society forcing me to buy unnecessary gifts for people who don't need it. I checked our budget ($600 total ($300 each)) and it still frustrates me; my brain just isn't wired this way.

How can I shake my inner-scrooge one time of year? How does everyone do it? :annoyed
So it does not matter to you that your "girl" enjoys getting a gift from you? Is there anything that she does not enjoy doing during the year but that she does because she knows it is important to you -- like sitting through an NBA game or your laundry, maybe?

It isn't that hard to find gifts for people that they enjoy; my husband sends his parents a food gift that they can share with holiday guests.

Not much sympathy here, as you can tell.

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:49 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:16 pm
I always ask for underwear and socks. That way I don't get any gifts for Christmas.

Well, you did ask how everyone does it, right?
MIL will give me socks.

I thought the boss was the one that was supposed to give, in a rare non reciprocal way?

As for the OP, you are spending $300 on each other or total? Can you give to her because it is important to her, but noone else? Donate the rest to charity so that she sees it as non material, rather than stingy?

Ninnie

Post by Ninnie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:11 pm

The thing is, a $600 budget isn't much. Gifts add up fast. We give donations as much as possible. At least that's money well spent. Children get actual gifts.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:22 pm

Toons wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:10 am
4 presents.
1 Son-Amazon Gift Certificate.
3 grandchildren-gifts around 30 each from Amazon.
That is the extent of it.
They all know I would do anything in the world for them. :wink: :wink:
15+ Presents:
Husband
Son and daughter in law
Daughter
Mother in Law
Father
3 sisters
1 sister in law
1 brother in law
2 nieces
1 SO of niece
1 second cousin and husband

We don't spend a lot on each present to each person, but the no-adults-get-gifts seems to be inconsiderate of the childless siblings, so we just keep up the tradition. My family has always been a loud large boisterous holiday gang and we wouldn't have it any other way. My 84-year old dad passes out gifts and we have a ball on Christmas.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:37 pm

In Hawaii, everyone get's gifts all year 'round for any reason. Go to the doctor's, bring something. Go talk with the landlord, bring a pie. Meet the painting contractor, bring a box of Malasadas. Everything's a reason for giving and sharing. No inner circle. No exclusions. Island style. Aloha spirit.
For family, etc, I help all year round. So for Christmas, a few bucks in a red envelope or an Amazon gift card is plenty. It's the thought that counts.

Mele Kalikimaka, Boglehead Ohana
j :D

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:08 pm

Bogleheads:

I give toys to the kids. Money to the grown-ups.

They both seem happy.

Best wishes and a Merry Christmas to all.

Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:48 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:09 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Caduceus wrote:
Ugh. You beat me to it. Happy Festivus!

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:28 pm

MortgageOnBlack wrote:

I'm right there with you. I'm not sure whether to be proud or ashamed, but I've gotten it to where I don't buy any gifts - except for our kids. Wife and I are fine with it - we will get what we want, when we want it. Having the other try to guess what we want doesn't do anything for us and its more of a nuisance.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:47 am

runner3081 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:49 pm
I wish Christmas was really about Christmas, not about materialism. The vast majority of the country is focused on materialistic things. It is rather sickening.
We have an agreement on my side of the family that there is no gift-giving, except to my mom, and everybody sticks to it. On my wife's side, there is no such agreement and my wife buys gifts for everyone, but us or our kids have never received a gift from one of her siblings. Of course, whatever budget we set for Xmas gift-giving, my wife blows well through it on her parents alone (who I don't think we should be giving anything to as they live with us rent-free) and then seemingly buys a gift for everyone who said hello to her throughout the year. At this point it is futile to have any discussions about it, I've just accepted that all sense of financial responsibility for her goes out the door as soon as Christmas lights go up (or someone gets pregnant).

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:41 am

livesoft wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:16 pm
I actually got socks last year, but I did have them on my Christmas list. :D
Jags4186 wrote:
+1. The way I see it, why would I give a gift to someone who makes more money then me and has the power to fire me at whim? :?
sambb wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:49 pm
my boss is great, and i am so appreciative of being employed. I am so fortunate to be born in this country and have such opportunities in corportate america. My boss deserves 10x what i am getting him.
I think the absolute most I would give a boss is a Christmas card. It's a nice gesture and I wouldn't have to worry about being accused by my co-workers of trying to "bribe" my boss to get a more favorable annual review.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:45 am

sambb wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
sambb,

Would that violate the ethics policy of your company? For many megacorps, any gift greater than $25 has to be reported.

KlangFool

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:48 pm

MortgageOnBlack wrote:

We set a $25 limit for DH's family, so if we combine, we can buy a $50 gift for his mom, or dad. If we want to give 2 gifts per person, it's capped at $25. The challenge comes in finding something that might normally be $40 for $25 or less. ;)

For my family, my brother is the only one with kids. So we give gifts of $30 per kid, and add $75 into their educational accounts. And then $50 per adult.

Even though I am a bit uncomfortable at the higher limit for my family, the reality is that we don't do birthday gifts for my family - but since we live closer to DH's family, we do. So it evens out over the year.

IIWY, I'd challenge myself to find good gifts on sale, so both of you are happy. Or at least, you're less grumpy about it. :D

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:17 pm

We buy the kids presents and enjoy the holidays. I think it increases each each as they get older and the gifts more expensive (electronics).
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

sambb

Post by sambb » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:46 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:45 am
sambb wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
sambb,

Would that violate the ethics policy of your company? For many megacorps, any gift greater than $25 has to be reported.

KlangFool
No, it doesnt violate ethics of my company to show my boss the appreciation he deserves. I dont work at a megacorp. I enjoy getting him something nice. And i will write a nice personal note also. I understand that some people would never buy their boss a gift. That even tells me more, how lucky I am to have the boss that I have.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:58 pm

I usually give my daughters money to shop on Black Friday, money goes further for them. I get my husband See’s Candy and some Music DVDs every year. Anything I want but too lazy to shop, I tell my kids. Last year I got 2 pairs of tongs for cooking. The year before I got 2 pairs of cissors, my kid knew I needed them, but too lazy to shop, so she got me some. This year, I’m request a scale with big letter, my daughter has one, I can see my weight better in the morning. Mine is analog, too small for me to read early in the morning. My husband requests boxer shorts, he’s too lazy to shop too.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:03 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:37 pm
In Hawaii, everyone get's gifts all year 'round for any reason. Go to the doctor's, bring something. Go talk with the landlord, bring a pie. Meet the painting contractor, bring a box of Malasadas. Everything's a reason for giving and sharing. No inner circle. No exclusions. Island style. Aloha spirit.
For family, etc, I help all year round. So for Christmas, a few bucks in a red envelope or an Amazon gift card is plenty. It's the thought that counts.

Mele Kalikimaka, Boglehead Ohana
j :D
Very nice!

Reading all these others posts about how to calibrate and budget for the vacuous "holiday spirit" materialistic spending on gifts for bosses, partners, and adults that have too much already was making me nauseous.

People are starving to death and in desperate need every day and most folks pretend not to notice. Imagine how much good all that money spent on unwanted and unneeded gifts would do if it was instead given to deserving charities seeking to help folks who are genuinely in need.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:14 pm

[/quote]

Very nice!

Reading all these others posts about how to calibrate and budget for the vacuous "holiday spirit" materialistic spending on gifts for bosses, partners, and adults that have too much already was making me nauseous.

People are starving to death and in desperate need every day and most folks pretend not to notice. Imagine how much good all that money spent on unwanted and unneeded gifts would do if it was instead given to deserving charities seeking to help folks who are genuinely in need.
[/quote]
For many years, our extended family would get together for a Christmas brunch, usually not on Christmas, and place the money we would have spent on gifts for each other into a basket, and one person would choose a charity and the collective gift would go to that charity. We took turns choosing the charity. We no longer have those get togethers. 😞

jackholloway

Post by jackholloway » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:40 am

I love both buying and giving gifts, but I would be uncomfortable getting an actual gift from an employee. I usually give my dozen-and-change member team small LEGO sets, or luxury chocolate bars, or some cookies at various times during the year, but they are clearly on the thinking-of-you levels, not substantive.

tony5412

Post by tony5412 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:35 am

sambb wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:09 pm
wow, i spend $300 on my boss's gift, and the same on his boss's gift. I think it is the cost of doing business, or having friends or having family. most of all, i ENJOY giving these people nice things to show my appreciation. Money can always be made, but relationships cant always be repaired.
Bribing your boss and boss's boss with $300 gifts? I thought that was not a good move politically in an office?

tony5412

Post by tony5412 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:38 am

sambb wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
:o

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:12 am

I enjoy giving gifts although within the immediate family we usually do more for individual birthdays than at Christmas. Christmas is usually a larger whole family themed something we can all enjoy along with making and eating traditional family foods . However, at work, we don't really do gifts but just try to keep each other well fed throughout the year with random food and snacks in the break room. On the other hand, my wife's boss is a very generous gift giver in the office but she does not want anything in return. She gets some very sincere thank you cards and a very rare lunch once or twice a year that she will let someone else pay.