Moto G5 Plus: Software updates?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
meebers

Re: Moto G5 Plus: Software updates?

Post by meebers »

Had my moto G5+ now for about a week. One problem, on my previous phone, you could check how many minutes you have remaining (prepay for me) however with this new one I get an error "MMI code" not running. Manual dialing #999# or #BAL# (T-Mobil) gives same error. T-M guy said that these multiple carrier phones don't have all bells & whistles??? Had trouble with cases for it, BIG difference between G5 plus and G5s Plus. Wife just loves it, several days before we got the sim and "free" minutes card, Wifi was excellent on browsing and calls. Happy so far.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Mudpuppy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:14 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:37 am Thank you, Mudpuppy,

My first challenge will be to find the Settings screen. It's easy when you have been using smartphones for a while. But as a new user, I don't take anything for granted.
Just in case you haven't found a tutorial on accessing the Settings screen, on most Android phones you can swipe down from the top of the screen to access the notifications screen. The gear icon to access Settings will be located somewhere in that screen (usually on the upper-right). There might also already be a shortcut to settings on your home screen.
Thank you for the tip! Due to the Costco backlog, the phone is now scheduled to arrive on 11 December. I hope to figure it out on my own. In fact, I prefer to figure out things on my own, because I remember them better and I am better prepared for similar technologies. My main reason for buying this phone is to come up to speed with smartphones. But if I truly get stuck, I will get back and ask some basic questions.
VictoriaF wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:12 am If I take this phone to the Czech Republic, I will get a SIM from one of their local carriers. I am curious: when people travel abroad and get local SIMs, where do they keep their U.S. SIMs? Is there a portable SIM container? Do they leave the American SIM at home before they pack the phone?
SIMs are relatively small and easy to misplace. I use a spare plastic case from an SD card for storing my SIM the few times I need to do that. It's still something small and easy to lose, but I can put it in a specific zippered pocket in my purse once it's protected by the plastic case.
i have purchased an SD card for this phone and will use it as a container for a SIM.
VictoriaF wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:28 am I am not only concerned about locking the phone in case it's lost or stolen. I also consider not using geolocation, WiFi outside my home, and any financial transactions. But then there are some apps that I'd like to have, and they may conflict with my risk aversion. For example, I want to start using Uber, and I think this will require having both my geolocation and a payment account. I also may want to start using the phone as a GPS, if there is a GPS app.
Google Maps functions well as a GPS app as long as you have Internet connectivity. Or you can install an offline GPS app for when you don't have connectivity. I've never had an issue driving around California or Nevada with Google Maps though.
I'll start by trying an offline GPS. And if it does not work well I'll try Google Maps with cellular connectivity.

Thank you again,
Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

2015 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:32 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:38 am
2015 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:29 am Edited to add: I use Uber and yes they do have my credit card info, but I'm not concerned with someone stealing my phone just to get my CC info. Same with GPS. To me the risk is quite small whoever would steal my phone would be doing so to learn my address and try and rob me. I am also really happy with the new fingerprint lock/unlock safety feature.

Did you know you can also lock and even wipe your phone remotely using your gmail security features? This is my plan in the even my phone gets lost or stolen.

https://support.google.com/accounts/ans ... 0491?hl=en
Thank you for the remote destruction instructions! The beauty of a $169 phone is that if I had to do it, it would not be too painful,

Victoria
And on second thought, after reviewing that Google remote find/lock/wipe security page again, I've decided against getting a separate Google account just for the phone. Between the G5's fingerprint lock/unlock feature, coupled with the ability to wipe the phone in the event of lost or stolen, getting a second dedicated google account just for the phone would be overkill. I figure were my phone lost or stolen, I would simply wipe the phone immediately before anyone had time to peruse my gmail account, let alone decide to use it to attempt to get into my accounts.
I am less concerned with losing the phone than with my transactions being intercepted and the phone getting hacked. I may still have the phone in my physical possession while the intruder would rummage through my primary Google account. I'd rather have a throw away Google account until I get confidence in my smartphone security.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

surfstar wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:26 am Offline GPS tip:

Before a trip to Curacao, I downloaded an app called Magic Earth - for offline GPS use.
I took the time to input dive sites / beaches as favorites, then we could easily navigate to them once we arrived, with no cell phone / data use. Worked great - it lets you select areas to download ahead of time by Country or State.
Thank you! I'll try it too,

Victoria

Post by 2015 »

VictoriaF wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:42 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:38 am
2015 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:29 am Edited to add: I use Uber and yes they do have my credit card info, but I'm not concerned with someone stealing my phone just to get my CC info. Same with GPS. To me the risk is quite small whoever would steal my phone would be doing so to learn my address and try and rob me. I am also really happy with the new fingerprint lock/unlock safety feature.

Did you know you can also lock and even wipe your phone remotely using your gmail security features? This is my plan in the even my phone gets lost or stolen.

https://support.google.com/accounts/ans ... 0491?hl=en
Thank you for the remote destruction instructions! The beauty of a $169 phone is that if I had to do it, it would not be too painful,

Victoria
And on second thought, after reviewing that Google remote find/lock/wipe security page again, I've decided against getting a separate Google account just for the phone. Between the G5's fingerprint lock/unlock feature, coupled with the ability to wipe the phone in the event of lost or stolen, getting a second dedicated google account just for the phone would be overkill. I figure were my phone lost or stolen, I would simply wipe the phone immediately before anyone had time to peruse my gmail account, let alone decide to use it to attempt to get into my accounts.
I am less concerned with losing the phone than with my transactions being intercepted and the phone getting hacked. I may still have the phone in my physical possession while the intruder would rummage through my primary Google account. I'd rather have a throw away Google account until I get confidence in my smartphone security.

Victoria
I'm not understanding you here. No one can rummage through your Google account without hacking it in some way or another, either on your phone or any other device. By "primary Google account", do you mean a Google account that includes gmail dedicated solely for financial accounts and also used for accounts backup recovery? I have only one Google account with gmail dedicated strictly to financial, bank accounts, and accounts backup recovery. If this is what you are referring to, are you concerned with 2FA text notifications on your phone while in your possession being intercepted in order to hack your primary Google account? I handle that by (i) never accessing financial accounts on my phone; and (ii) accessing my dedicated Google financial gmail account only in Bank Mode and only on a dedicated laptop. I do this using Yubikey 2FA while having selected only Google Authenticator and printed passcodes as backup recovery options on the Google 2FA setup page--no 2FA text option or phone number (to thwart social engineering) is associated with the account. Hence, my Google account is not "hackable" on my phone (or any other device for that matter).

Or are you talking about the Krack vulnerability? I initially handled that temporarily by turning off the phone wifi every time I had to use text 2FA for some accounts (ones that don''t use Yubikey or require text 2FA). Now, as I've said, I've decided I'm just not going to worry about Krack (as you may know, Windows issued a patch in early October; I've read Google issued a patch on 11/4 although my new G5 doesn't contain any security updates beyond Jan of this year and the phone says it's up to date; further, I was told by an ATT tech that ATT issued a patch in late November for my router so I seem to be covered).

If you were worried about a thief being able to see notifications on your phone without unlocking, I handle that by simply disabling the ability to view notifications on the phone without unlocking it.

As to "throwing away" the Google account, the only way you can do that is to terminate the account in its entirety, which seems like a completely unnecessary action to me when there are other options.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

2015 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:40 pm

Victoria
I'm not understanding you here. No one can rummage through your Google account without hacking it in some way or another, either on your phone or any other device. By "primary Google account", do you mean a Google account that includes gmail dedicated solely for financial accounts and also used for accounts backup recovery? I have only one Google account with gmail dedicated strictly to financial, bank accounts, and accounts backup recovery. If this is what you are referring to, are you concerned with 2FA text notifications on your phone while in your possession being intercepted in order to hack your primary Google account? I handle that by (i) never accessing financial accounts on my phone; and (ii) accessing my dedicated Google financial gmail account only in Bank Mode and only on a dedicated laptop. I do this using Yubikey 2FA while having selected only Google Authenticator and printed passcodes as backup recovery options on the Google 2FA setup page--no 2FA text option or phone number (to thwart social engineering) is associated with the account. Hence, my Google account is not "hackable" on my phone (or any other device for that matter).

Or are you talking about the Krack vulnerability? I initially handled that temporarily by turning off the phone wifi every time I had to use text 2FA for some accounts (ones that don''t use Yubikey or require text 2FA). Now, as I've said, I've decided I'm just not going to worry about Krack (as you may know, Windows issued a patch in early October; I've read Google issued a patch on 11/4 although my new G5 doesn't contain any security updates beyond Jan of this year and the phone says it's up to date; further, I was told by an ATT tech that ATT issued a patch in late November for my router so I seem to be covered).

If you were worried about a thief being able to see notifications on your phone without unlocking, I handle that by simply disabling the ability to view notifications on the phone without unlocking it.

As to "throwing away" the Google account, the only way you can do that is to terminate the account in its entirety, which seems like a completely unnecessary action to me when there are other options.
Please note that, so far, I have zero experience of using smartphones. One of many reasons for not using a phone earlier is that I've seen many articles about various smartphone exploits. Krack is the name of a recent WiFi exploit; there were WiFi vulnerabilities before Krack and there will be others after Krack. Any wireless connectivity, including Near Field Communications, BlueTooth, WiFi, Cellular, and GPS can be hacked. There are some protections, but one does not always know what to expect and what vulnerabilities are introduced by applications.

For example, I've read that when you use free WiFi that does not require any passwords, the WiFi name is stored in the phone and broadcast as you move around. Malicious devices listen to these broadcasts and pretend to be one of those free WiFis. The recommended countermeasure is never to use WiFi that does not have a password. (A free password provided by an establishment would prevent this particular exploit, even as it could create other vulnerabilities.) You need to know that this feature of storing and broadcasting WiFi names exists and do something about it. But even if you know about this particular exploit there are many others that you don't.

It's quite possible that your security measures are perfectly adequate. But I don't want to take chances until I gain experience of using a smartphone. If I create a separate Google account just for the smartphone, and that Google account gets hacked, I will close that account and connect the phone to another Google account. If, on the other hand, I associate the phone with my existing Google account, and then have to close it for whatever reason, I'll also have to deal with changes in various services associated with my primary Google account.

Victoria
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

VictoriaF wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:36 pm My main reason for buying this phone is to come up to speed with smartphones.
If that's all you want, maybe you can get a free phone from Airbnb. Just look under the bathroom sink or in the bedroom. It will already be activated and active!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/airbnb-gue ... n-cameras/
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

azurekep wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:25 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:36 pm My main reason for buying this phone is to come up to speed with smartphones.
If that's all you want, maybe you can get a free phone from Airbnb. Just look under the bathroom sink or in the bedroom. It will already be activated and active!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/airbnb-gue ... n-cameras/
This is a great idea, but I can do better than that. When I stay at hostels, many guests spread their unattended devices all over the place, in the plain view. On the Camino they do it with full abandon. They arrive after a long day of backpacking, plug a phone into a wall outlet, and go out for a pilgrim's dinner. Remarkably, the main prize is not the phone but the outlet. Sometimes, you can see predators (who are otherwise the nicest people) unplugging others' phones to get their phones in.

Victoria

Post by 123 »

My Moto G5 Plus arrived from Costco about a week ago but I just got around to activating it yesterday. I upgraded from a 2 year-old Moto E (2nd gen). I've been on pay-as-you-go TracFone my entire smartphone life. I mostly use wi-fi so their 3 month smartphone plan works great for me. Occasionally I buy a couple extra GB's of data just to have them on the account if I need them. I had a 2 or 3 month period when I had to handle a number of calls due to a family situation (normally I probably use less then 30 minutes a month) so I just bought some extra minutes, it was easier then switching to some kind of monthly plan that I wouldn't have a long-term use for.

All the build-in apps updated within the first hour that I had the phone on. I also got two sets of "System updates" as well. I find there are lots of videos on Youtube covering the use and features of the phone. The first one I needed to find was how to install the SIM.

I'm very happy with my Moto G5 Plus.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Hi Victoria,

If your phone is unlocked, you could go to any AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile office. You can get a non-contract prepaid plan with them. They will put in the Sim for you as well as activate it. If you go in the off-hours when they are not busy, I'm sure that they will be happy to help you with the initial set-up and any questions. You can get cheaper services as others have recommended. I use AT&T prepaid with my unlocked Note 8. The put in the SIM for me, the screen protector as well as case. Otherwise you can usually get a users manual online. I pay $40 a month with auto-pay. This includes unlimited voice and text as well as 6GB of data which is quite enough for me as I don't stream videos on it! I can buy more data if I like or cancel at any time.

Enjoy!
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

I like the fingerprint reader on the 5G+, except Schwab won't let me use it with their app because I use the two-factor authentication fob. And I inadvertently shut off notifications for the phone and couldn't answer calls until I googled it and found what I did. Otherwise, love the phone.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
Chip

Post by Chip »

VictoriaF wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:36 pm I'll start by trying an offline GPS. And if it does not work well I'll try Google Maps with cellular connectivity.
Google Maps has a "mostly offline" capability. I use it on my G5+ because I'm on a prepaid plan and would like to preserve data.

You can download (via wifi, inside of the Google Maps app) map information for any area. Then you can set the app to only use that map, vs. going online for data. It still uses some data, but very little compared to normal usage of the app.

A downside is that it doesn't give traffic data when operated in this mode.

I assume it wouldn't work in situations where there is no data connection, but I haven't tested it.
karlhall

Post by karlhall »

If security is of prime concern the Iphone 7 may actually be less expensive in the longer run. You will probably get four years of operating system and security updates. The Iphone 5 was released in 2012 and until this year was getting updates. Also, Apple is much more restrictive about what is in their app store.

Phones made by Google are now getting operating system updates for two years and security updates for three. The Google app store is not policed as well as the Apple store, so that is also a consideration.

The flagship phones will be updated more than mid-range phones, but I don't know what the update history of every phone manufacturer is.

Phones that come out of the box with Android 8 will be required to make technical changes to make operating system updates easier, but that doesn't mean manufacturers and carriers will actually do the updates.

I actually use a two year old Asus Zenphone Laser, which was released in November of 2015 and last received a security update in June of this year.
That is why I am strongly considering the Iphone 7.

The current cost of an Iphone 7 at the Apple store is $550 plus tax. You can buy it unlocked and it can operate on any cell phone carrier. I haven't seen any reseller offering a better deal.

Karl
btenny

Post by btenny »

I have had a Moto G3 for 2 years. It is a nice very easy to use phone but the camera quality is not that good. I use mine for phone calls, texting, music, web surfing, maps, games and some reading books. I do not do Email on my phone but I could. I do not do email due to security and small screen size. I prefer a larger tablet or my laptop for email. Those also have better security. I use an app called WhatsApp that allows free texting and calling to foreign countries for both parties. So we can talk to my kids (or other friends) in England and Europe and neither of us pays anything to talk or text.

I just got back from 2.5 weeks in England and Spain. I used my phone to log onto tons of wifi networks all over and it worked great. With ATT it is $30 extra above my standard bill for a month of service in Europe. I did not buy the package and just did wifi as needed. I could have done an actual call if I had an emergency. Mostly I called/texted back to the states via WhatsApp on wifi. Because I did not buy the data package I could not do maps but my kids were with me and they had that service.

I am also pretty security conscious so I just force myself to not do any financial stuff on my phone. No banking. No investment accounts. And no email. I keep a few account IDs on the phone but no passwords or credit card numbers. So there is not a lot there to steal. In my case I also keep the blue tooth turned off (I use wired ear phones) to reduce cloning risk. I also turn off the wifi when I am out and about.

I am very happy with my phone but I find the screen too small for lots of stuff. It is a great portable tool and a lot better than a old style phone. But I also carry my laptop or my tablet most times when I travel. Then I use those on wifi as needed for any email or other stuff needing secure connections.

I suspect if you bought the latest big screen high end smart phone and kept the security stuff up to date (and have good eyesight) you could do everything on a smart phone. No need for a laptop or tablet. But that is not for me.

Good Luck.

Post by 2015 »

VictoriaF wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:27 pm
2015 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:40 pm

Victoria
Please note that, so far, I have zero experience of using smartphones. One of many reasons for not using a phone earlier is that I've seen many articles about various smartphone exploits. Krack is the name of a recent WiFi exploit; there were WiFi vulnerabilities before Krack and there will be others after Krack. Any wireless connectivity, including Near Field Communications, BlueTooth, WiFi, Cellular, and GPS can be hacked. There are some protections, but one does not always know what to expect and what vulnerabilities are introduced by applications.

For example, I've read that when you use free WiFi that does not require any passwords, the WiFi name is stored in the phone and broadcast as you move around. Malicious devices listen to these broadcasts and pretend to be one of those free WiFis. The recommended countermeasure is never to use WiFi that does not have a password. (A free password provided by an establishment would prevent this particular exploit, even as it could create other vulnerabilities.) You need to know that this feature of storing and broadcasting WiFi names exists and do something about it. But even if you know about this particular exploit there are many others that you don't.

It's quite possible that your security measures are perfectly adequate. But I don't want to take chances until I gain experience of using a smartphone. If I create a separate Google account just for the smartphone, and that Google account gets hacked, I will close that account and connect the phone to another Google account. If, on the other hand, I associate the phone with my existing Google account, and then have to close it for whatever reason, I'll also have to deal with changes in various services associated with my primary Google account.

Victoria
I guess I'm just not understanding how you feel your Google account could get hacked once you've undertaken proper measures to make it highly "unhackable" on any device. That's why I asked the questions above. But definitely do what you feel most comfortable with at this stage of the game.

Here's an article on the safety of apps downloaded from Google Play: https://www.lifewire.com/is-google-play-safe-153675. I do follow the final piece of advice and use AVG anti-virus on the phone. I agree having anything to do with a free WiFi service is always a bad idea.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

btenny wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:28 am I have had a Moto G3 for 2 years. It is a nice very easy to use phone but the camera quality is not that good.
The camera quality is fine. What sucks is the default app. And there is so little space that I was only able to replace it with a better app because I rooted my phone for other reasons.

I am just waiting on a new SIM card to start using my G5+. Didn't notice that it requires nano.
burt

Post by burt »

Be careful using unlocked phones on the Verizon network.
Not all devices are "recognized" on their network.
My Moto G4 works fine in the US but the international plans DO NOT WORK and ARE NOT supported (including Canada).
On the Verizon website it looks like the Moto G5 is NOT "fully" supported.

burt
starboard

Post by starboard »

Hi VictoriaF,

I recently traveled a similar road.

Starting with this thread:

Re: No true pay as you go [cellphone plan]
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=230728
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=230728&newpost=3594783#p3592669

I went with MintSIM, first plugging the SIM into our Nexus 5 phone that usually
runs on a legacy T-Mobile pre-paid plan for talk and text only. This legacy plan
costs us about $25 per year, as long as we buy more time once a year, the
existing time extends for another year. The phone is rarely used at present,
mostly available for use when traveling.

Once I found that MintSIM worked very well for me, I purchased a MotoG5 Plus
from Amazon. The price for the 4/64 GB version was around $299, but for some
odd reason, I found it marked down to $225 and purchased it at that price.
This was for the "Standard" version, not the "Prime" version. It looks like
Moto is also discounting phones on direct purchases at present.

Since we needed a second phone, we now have the older Nexus5 back on the T-
Mobile plan for Talk and Text (no data), and the new Moto G5+ on MintSIM for
unlimited Talk and Text, 2GB data per month for $15 per month. That price
will hold if we buy 1 year at a time, so about $180 per year. So far the 2GB
data is much more than we need.

I'm very happy with the Moto 5G Plus as well as the MintSIM service.

stb
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

starboard wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:58 pm Hi VictoriaF,

runs on a legacy T-Mobile pre-paid plan for talk and text only. This legacy plan

stb
Hi starboard,

Thank you for the information. MintSIM seems like a great plan, but first, I need to find out if I have a reasonable T-Mobile coverage at home. I have checked several web sites providing cellular coverage maps and found them misleading. My current phone is using Virgin Mobile on the Sprint network. The reception is quite bad, but the coverage maps indicate that Sprint is providing a good coverage here.

I will probably start by trying T-Mobile with another carrier providing monthly plans and if it works, I will switch to MintSIM.

Victoria
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Interesting thread.

Re Privacy & Maps: In the interest of protecting my privacy, I regularly turn off location services on my Moto G5+ unless I am using the Map wayfinding feature.

Re Remote kill of the phone: I did not know about the "Find, Lock or Erase a lost Android." Thank you for the link above. However, the link indicates this feature only works if location services is active on the phone. Since mine is regularly turned off, this feature would not help me if I lost my phone.

Re Speech to Text - I would love to get this to work on my G5+. However, I have not been able to figure that out unless I turn on OK Google. OK Google listens to you all the time and reacts. I don't need Google listening to me all the time, so I don't want that feature on. On an older Android, my keyboard had a microphone icon I could tap when I wanted speech to text. I have been unable to find that setting on my G5+. Anyone know how to find it without turning on OK Google?
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

My mintsim arrived today, but DH is better at putting on the class protector, so I am waiting on him for activation :)

Post by 2015 »

Saving$ wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:24 pm Interesting thread.

Re Privacy & Maps: In the interest of protecting my privacy, I regularly turn off location services on my Moto G5+ unless I am using the Map wayfinding feature.

Re Remote kill of the phone: I did not know about the "Find, Lock or Erase a lost Android." Thank you for the link above. However, the link indicates this feature only works if location services is active on the phone. Since mine is regularly turned off, this feature would not help me if I lost my phone.

Re Speech to Text - I would love to get this to work on my G5+. However, I have not been able to figure that out unless I turn on OK Google. OK Google listens to you all the time and reacts. I don't need Google listening to me all the time, so I don't want that feature on. On an older Android, my keyboard had a microphone icon I could tap when I wanted speech to text. I have been unable to find that setting on my G5+. Anyone know how to find it without turning on OK Google?
Wish I could help. I recall during setup it asked me if I wanted to turn on Ok Google which I naturally did not for the same creepiness factor that you mention. IIRC, it was also related to their new Google Assistant which also seemed creepy to me. I didn't turn it on, I just skipped the setup or said no or whatever during the installation process--can't recall exactly. I am also unique in that I use the phone almost like a landline and don't carry it with me everywhere I go. At home, I actually keep it in a drawer because I always assume it can/does listen and that forward/rear cameras can be remotely turned on by interested parties. Even though the phone in a drawer, I can hear it ring and can even hear the alarm in the morning.

Carrying over from my Moto G 1st Gen days, to search I simply tap the mic and ask whatever question I want to ask. Even if I wasn't concerned about the creepiness factor, the extra step of having to say the cheesy "ok google" seems unnecessary to me. Life has enough unwanted extra steps (i.e., phone tree mazes) without needlessly adding one to my search queries. Interestingly, I have found the answers on the phone are much more germane to whatever it is I am asking than when I Google from the laptop. I've also discovered that asking the same question in different ways brings even more accurate search results in relation to questions I ask and answers I am looking for. As a result, these days I find myself using the phone to search more than the laptop out of convenience and search accuracy.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Saving$ wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:24 pm Re Speech to Text - I would love to get this to work on my G5+. However, I have not been able to figure that out unless I turn on OK Google. OK Google listens to you all the time and reacts. I don't need Google listening to me all the time, so I don't want that feature on. On an older Android, my keyboard had a microphone icon I could tap when I wanted speech to text. I have been unable to find that setting on my G5+. Anyone know how to find it without turning on OK Google?
First, I'm no expert on these settings.

I don't believe that I have OK Google turned on (where do you do that, exactly?), as the phone does nothing if I say OK Google. I have to tap microphone icons where they are available if I want it to recognize speech.

But when I am creating an SMS or MMS there is a microphone icon on the upper right of the keyboard. And it works.
batpot

Post by batpot »

I got my Moto G5 Plus 64gb for $154 after a Wal Mart price protection claim through discover.
By far the best phone I've ever owned. Very snappy, and great battery life.

By the way: you can download offline maps through Google Maps as well; just bring up the menu and select "offline maps".
works very well; the bigger the area, the bigger the file will be.

Post by 2015 »

Chip wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:51 am
Saving$ wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:24 pm Re Speech to Text - I would love to get this to work on my G5+. However, I have not been able to figure that out unless I turn on OK Google. OK Google listens to you all the time and reacts. I don't need Google listening to me all the time, so I don't want that feature on. On an older Android, my keyboard had a microphone icon I could tap when I wanted speech to text. I have been unable to find that setting on my G5+. Anyone know how to find it without turning on OK Google?
First, I'm no expert on these settings.

I don't believe that I have OK Google turned on (where do you do that, exactly?), as the phone does nothing if I say OK Google. I have to tap microphone icons where they are available if I want it to recognize speech.

But when I am creating an SMS or MMS there is a microphone icon on the upper right of the keyboard. And it works.
This.

IDR ever saying OK Google (although I might have said damn you Google when it returned a nonsensical search result!). I do all searches via speech and do almost all texting using speech-to-text now. What a convenience, especially when changing up questions during a search, and also given that everyone who knows me knows my preferred method of communication is text.

I've only had this phone two weeks and I really, really like it. As compared to my 1st Gen, the G5+ is almost like a different phone. The quick turbo charge and (much) longer life batter are light years better than my 1st Gen. I really do love the larger screen size on the new one as it's much easier to read. I'm also sending/receiving a lot more of the built in animated pictures as the sole text message and it's been quite fun with friends/family (this was not available on my 1st Gen). In the store yesterday, I was showing the double chop motion on/off flashlight feature along with the double wrist twist camera on/off feature to the cashier and bag boy and they were really impressed. Another great G5+ benefit is you can enable the phone to go into DND mode simply by turning it face down. Comes in real handy when taking my naps. :wink:
Last edited by 2015 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
batpot

Post by batpot »

Chip wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:51 am I don't believe that I have OK Google turned on (where do you do that, exactly?)
with the phone unlocked, long press the "home" soft button (the circle).
Chip

Post by Chip »

batpot wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:23 pm with the phone unlocked, long press the "home" soft button (the circle).
Thanks! Got it. Will still leave it off. :)
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

batpot wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:23 pm
Chip wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:51 am I don't believe that I have OK Google turned on (where do you do that, exactly?)
with the phone unlocked, long press the "home" soft button (the circle).
Can you share with us how to turn OFF OK Google?
I may have accidentally long pressed the home button.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

VictoriaF wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:48 pm Under the influence of Bogleheads recommendations and low prices, I have ordered a Motorola Moto G5 Plus.
So Victoria, how do you like your Moto G5 Plus?
squirm

Post by squirm »

I'm writing this from a g5+... I'm not sure why anyone would need to spend more on a phone. I went back to the stock Google keyboard. I might install the Nova launcher. I don't think the reception is as good as my old phone... Call quality doesn't seem as good... They camera is great, esp in hdr. The Snapdragon 625 is a charm. Would rather have USB c, instead of micro, but not a deal killer. Switched to Bing as the default search, Google has to much useless crap in their mobile searches.

Overall great phone, way better than Samsung for the money.
BL

Post by BL »

I have a lot to learn about my new Moto G5 Plus, so I really appreciate all the hints and info on this thread. Keep it up!

Nevertheless, I plan to use the User Guide when all else fails. It is online and here is one of the numerous websites where I found it: https://www.consumercellular.com/Assets ... 0Guide.pdf
I don't have CC but I expect the guide is the same as at other sites.

I have used a $30 ZTE smartphone from Tracfone this year to get some experience. Actually, the small 4" screen size was my main problem. Now I have a good camera and 5.2 screen size, and lots of things to learn and play with. The GPS kept me from getting lost in a distant city a couple times, so just that made it worthwhile. I look forward to using my Moto on trips.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Thanks, BL. Manual is downloaded and saved. Hopefully read later. :D
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Saving$ wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:31 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:48 pm Under the influence of Bogleheads recommendations and low prices, I have ordered a Motorola Moto G5 Plus.
So Victoria, how do you like your Moto G5 Plus?
I am embarrassed to say but it's still in the box. I am trying to do too many things at once.

Victoria

Post by 2015 »

Chip wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:04 am Thanks, BL. Manual is downloaded and saved. Hopefully read later. :D
The phone is so easy to figure out. All you do is play with it. The 1st Gen was my first smart phone and all I did was read the quick start guide. After that, I just played with it because smart phones are so intuitive. In fact, I rarely read manuals anymore. I just Google whatever question I have about whatever it is I'm using. Light years faster than reading the manual. For example, a horrendous Norton security app I downloaded the second day after getting the G5+ turned every single display on the phone to a sort of x-ray vision. I used the laptop to Google the issue using questions asked various ways. Sure enough, I found a forum where someone referenced their Moto phone display suddenly turning "x-ray vision". I followed the answer response, reverted the phone back to normal and fixed the problem, and promptly uninstalled that Norton app right off the phone.

Another great feature I've discovered is if you have app notifications disabled while the phone is in lock mode as I have (for security), you can still see phone or message icons on the lock screen so you know you've missed a call, got a VM or text message without compromising security. I also noticed when out with an iphone owning friend Friday night that my screen view is larger than his, and I loved saying "mine's bigger than yours"!
2comma

Post by 2comma »

starboard wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:58 pm Hi VictoriaF,

stb
I was intrigued with MintSim the first time I heard about it (here of course) if you're ok with TM's coverage and you want some data I think it's a great plan. Personally, I don't use my phone much so the AirVoice Wireless $10 250 minute talk/text works best for me. Actually any extra minutes rollover as long as you pay every month, and you can automate payment. You can call and have them activate data, so the few times I actually need data I have a surplus of minutes I can burn. They charge $.04 for talk, $.02 for text and $.066 for data so data is not a good deal on this plan. They are an MVNO for ATT.

As far as overseas travel the kids I know just buy sims. The more wealthy seem to like the full service plans which allow you pay a fixed amount and then it allows you to roam in other countries. I don't recall the prices but when I looked it wasn't terribly expensive but you'll need to check each provider for the cost and the countries covered. Also, you might look at mrsimcard, they have various sims you can order for different areas of the world. Once you get there you insert the sim, follow their setup instructions and away you go. I'm not sure that you aren't paying a convenience fee for ordering sims thru them over picking them up locally when you get there.
If I am stupid I will pay.