Moto G5 Plus: Software updates?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Moto G5 Plus: Software updates?

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:48 pm

Under the influence of Bogleheads recommendations and low prices, I have ordered a Motorola Moto G5 Plus. This will be essentially my first smartphone. I bought another phone several years ago, tried it, got stuck on some function, and put it back into the box, where it still resides. I hope to be more diligent with this one, but not at the expense of security.

My first question is: how do you get software updates? For example, on my laptops, i get regular Operating System and MS Office updates from Microsoft. But Google seems to change its OS much more frequently than Microsoft, and the updates seem to depend on the device manufacturer. And so:
- Should I seek any software updates on the Motorola web site?
- Is updating Google OS to the next version feasible, or one is stuck with whatever version came with the device?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

jebmke

Re: Moto G5 Plus: Software updates?

Post by jebmke » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:03 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:48 pm
Under the influence of Bogleheads recommendations and low prices, I have ordered a Motorola Moto G5 Plus. This will be essentially my first smartphone. I bought another phone several years ago, tried it, got stuck on some function, and put it back into the box, where it still resides. I hope to be more diligent with this one, but not at the expense of security.

My first question is: how do you get software updates? For example, on my laptops, i get regular Operating System and MS Office updates from Microsoft. But Google seems to change its OS much more frequently than Microsoft, and the updates seem to depend on the device manufacturer. And so:
- Is updating Google OS to the next version feasible, or one is stuck with whatever version came with the device?

Victoria
Normally the Android phones are set to check for updates periodically. When they find one available, they will pop up a window and ask if you want to download and install and suggest that you do this only on WIFI with phone plugged in to avoid data charges and make sure the download doesn't run out the battery.

I don't know about Motorola but Verizon LG phones have a customized OEM version that doesn't update on the same cycle as native Android.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:30 pm

Go to settings, about phone and you'll see the update..it will update security features. You probably have Andriod 7, 7.1 will be pushed out in a bit and you're entitled to a major OS to Andriod 8. We have the same phone...mine is unlocked.

Post by 2015 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:57 pm

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Great minds think alike! I got a Moto G5 Plus based on recommendations here and reviews elsewhere at a Costco Black Friday sale over Thanksgiving. While there, I saw the Moto G5 Plus on sale for $169 ($50 off reg price) and my friends nabbed it for me. I then paid them as I have no Costco membership. Love the phone but love the price better!

I only went to help friends buy a large TV stand and was excited to be experiencing my first Black Friday event up close and personal. Wouldn't you know it? In California's Central Valley there are no crowds. We got there half an hour early and only 25 people were lined up at most. Once it opened, we were in and out in less than 20 minutes with no lines at the cash register! I was so disappointed by my first lackluster BF event I asked if we could go to a mall!

Once you get the phone, it will prompt you to update several things (several Google apps in my case). As noted above, you can find the latest security update in settings. I have read that Google issued at patch for the Krack vulnerability on 11/4/17, but the latest security update on my phone was January 2017. When I clicked on update security it stated had the latest security update version. I have decided I am just not going to worry about Krack (unless I take to snorting it, but that's another issue entirely).

I love this new phone! I previously had a Moto G 1st Gen and the difference is night and day. If this your first smartphone, the difference will be night and day between this and your old phone. Enjoy!

spoonfork

Post by spoonfork » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:51 pm

Motorola sends updates automatically. They are very rare and they are slow to even update for security patches. For example there is a November patch for Android security and my G5 Plus is still on September. It's one of the drawbacks to getting such a cheap phone, but it's otherwise a great product. I'm not willing to drop $700 on a Pixel just to get the fastest updates.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:16 pm

You will get software updates 3-6 times per year. Some big, some small. 5 to 25 minutes or so.

You will get app updates almost daily if you have several that you use.

With each you get a notification and can choose to update now or wait until you are plugged in.

My Moto G4 is set to automatically install app updates when plugged in.

To me, this is a non-issue. You will like the G5 Plus. Good phone for a good price.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

sam5

Post by sam5 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:50 pm

How is the camera on this phone? I love all aspects of my first generation Moto G except for the camera. Thanks!

spoonfork

Post by spoonfork » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:59 pm

Have you used an iPhone? It's not as good.

C4NT

Post by C4NT » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:04 pm

sam5 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:50 pm
How is the camera on this phone? I love all aspects of my first generation Moto G except for the camera. Thanks!
I have this phone, and the camera is great except in low light situations.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:21 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
As others have noted, you update through the Settings screen on the phone itself. Google issues monthly patches, but it's up to each device manufacturer to push that out to unlocked devices and up to the manufacturer and phone carrier to push that out to carrier-locked devices. Some manufacturers and carriers are better than others at doing this. Some update shortly after Google makes them available and others are quite sporadic.
VictoriaF wrote:
That is again up to the device manufacturer (and carrier for carrier-locked devices). Most will provide major OS updates within a year or two of unveiling that device model, but the exact time frame and availability varies widely.

telemark

Post by telemark » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:26 pm

I have its smaller, cheaper cousin the Motorola E4, and it's had two updates since last August, the second one only last week. I just see a notification on the screen with an option to apply it.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:45 pm

C4NT wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:04 pm
sam5 wrote:
Works fine for me in low light esp with HDR, was just using it last night.

mxs

Post by mxs » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:02 pm

I got the G5S Plus 64 gb and love it so far. As far as updates there are three kinds.

1. OS updates which you are guaranteed to get Android 8 aka Oreo, but not guaranteed anything beyond that. Motorola will furnish those in your particular situation when they want to. It can be weeks or months after the official Google release that you get these.

2. Security patches are on a similar time frame as OS updates and also handled by Motorola. I believe shortly after they release the 8.0 OS you will stop getting security updates as well.

3. App updates are dependent on the app and can happen at anytime and be released for years if not indefinitely.

I like my phone, but due to the quicker updates and longer time of OS and security updates I think getting a Google phone may be a good choice for a long term investment. If you want to be on the latest OS with the most recent security patches Motorola will get you likely two years at most, a Pixel or other Google phone will get OS updates for two years and security updates for three years. Just look up the Nexus 5x or 6p which were released two years ago with Android 6.0 and now have 8.0 or 8.1

Google phones are similar to iPhones for long software support. I think iPhones get a longer time period of updates however, which seem to be close to five years / five OS updates lately.
Last edited by mxs on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mxs

Post by mxs » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:02 pm

Duplicate

sam5

Post by sam5 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:42 pm

Is there another way to receive the security updates? Directly from Google perhaps?

Thanks everyone above for the camera info. Very helpful!

mxs

Post by mxs » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:02 pm

sam5 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:42 pm
Is there another way to receive the security updates? Directly from Google perhaps?

Thanks everyone above for the camera info. Very helpful!
I could be wrong but I think the OS is specific to your hardware to some extent. So you can't get a generic Android OS on your Motorola/LG/Samsung/etc phone. There are some advanced options of rooting or otherwise changing your phone manually to install unofficial custom OS's but that comes with a lot of risk and trust of what you are putting on it.

C4NT

Post by C4NT » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:46 am

squirm wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:45 pm
C4NT wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:04 pm
sam5 wrote:
Works fine for me in low light esp with HDR, was just using it last night.
I'm usually taking pictures of my young kids; they move way too much to use HDR. I'll try to use it for other photos - thanks for the tip.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:09 am

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Victoria - Excellent choice on the phone. I also bought a Moto G5Plus earlier this year based on recommendations on this board. For me, it was my 4th Android, and I owned Palm and Blackberry Smartphones prior to that (and "smart" handhelds prior to the existence of Smartphones - remember Windows CE, then Palm?). The Moto G5 Plus is BY FAR the single best handheld device I have ever owned.

For the most part, Android software updates for both security and OS are automatic on a smartphone. I cannot speak to I-phones as I have never owned one and have not been in the Apple ecosystem for over 30 years.

The beauty of the G5 Plus is that it is carrier agnostic. I have already changed carriers once in the 6 months or so I have had the phone. By not buying it from the carrier, carrier cannot load the thing with carrier specific bloatware that slows down the phone. So you don't have a third layer to worry about. All you need are Android updates. Because Android is a Google product, a Google account is the basis of how the phone operates...

Small Android Operating System updates are pushed automatically - there might be an option to turn that off, but the default is on. If there is a big update, your phone will notify you to plug it in and get on WiFi; you can opt to do that later. It will nag you once a day or so for a big update. Those take about 20 mins. You can check your Android status in Settings/System/About Phone.

Motorola also has a hand in this. Under Settings/Personal/Motorola you can set how much Motorola can see about how your phone is working.

When you install your carrier's SIM card, there will be a bit of software called "Carrier Services" installed, which makes the phone work with your chosen carrier.

The G5 Plus will give you far more control over what is installed on your phone than any carrier branded phone, it is faster, it is affordable, it is flexible to any carrier, it has a great camera, it has gesture features no other phone has, it is not too small or large and it basically just works...no carrier/Android conflicts.

The only downside I have experienced is that I cannot get my current carrier's visual voicemail app to work; that is the carrier fault though, not the phone, as my previous carriers VV app worked fine.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:49 pm

deleted.
Last edited by Lynette on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:09 pm

One more thing - when you first get the phone, it will use alot of data loading updates. Be sure to connect it to WiFi, and the initial load and updates seem to go on for days - I think certain things must update, after which other things update, and the phone probably only pings once every 24 hours to check if it is ready to update the next thing. The same thing happens when you switch carriers - lots of data use the first month, then it settles down to my previous pattern.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:22 pm

Saving$ wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:09 pm
One more thing - when you first get the phone, it will use alot of data loading updates. Be sure to connect it to WiFi, and the initial load and updates seem to go on for days - I think certain things must update, after which other things update, and the phone probably only pings once every 24 hours to check if it is ready to update the next thing. The same thing happens when you switch carriers - lots of data use the first month, then it settles down to my previous pattern.
I don't know if this works for all OEMs but when I got new Samsung and then LG phones, I immediately did a factory reset. This forced the phone to download a clean OS at the highest level available instead of patching the existing OS with updates. I find that as OS and app updates accumulate in layers the system gets buggy. A factory reset often clears these quirks.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

abracadabra11

Post by abracadabra11 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:54 pm

For those that are more technologically-inclined, you can also install a custom ROM. You'll need to unlock the bootloader and root the phone, but the process isn't particularly difficult. The benefit is that the developer community is active and quick to incorporate changes (i.e. security patches like the recent krack WiFi vulnerability).

https://forum.xda-developers.com/g5-plus/development

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:26 am

2015 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:57 pm
Great minds think alike! I got a Moto G5 Plus based on recommendations here and reviews elsewhere at a Costco Black Friday sale over Thanksgiving. While there, I saw the Moto G5 Plus on sale for $169 ($50 off reg price) and my friends nabbed it for me. I then paid them as I have no Costco membership. Love the phone but love the price better!
I have Costco membership and received an advanced email that this phone will be at $50 off on specific dates. During the sale period, I ordered it for $169 from the Costco web site. However, due to a large demand, the shipment has been postponed and the expected delivery date is 11 December. By the time I'll receive it, my wait time will be over three weeks.
2015 wrote:
Once you get the phone, it will prompt you to update several things (several Google apps in my case). As noted above, you can find the latest security update in settings. I have read that Google issued at patch for the Krack vulnerability on 11/4/17, but the latest security update on my phone was January 2017. When I clicked on update security it stated had the latest security update version. I have decided I am just not going to worry about Krack (unless I take to snorting it, but that's another issue entirely).
Can I update the settings via WiFi, without using a cellular carrier? I will need to get a cellular service for this phone, but first I want to make sure that I secure it using my home WiFi.
2015 wrote:
I love this new phone! I previously had a Moto G 1st Gen and the difference is night and day. If this your first smartphone, the difference will be night and day between this and your old phone. Enjoy!
I am glad that you like it. I have not really used my first smartphone, the one that is still in the box. And my current non-smart cell phone is so basic that anything would be better. However, I take pride in not wasting my life on long telephone conversations, texting, and social media. When I get Moto G5 Plus I'll try to limit its functionality so that I'll avoid temptations. In Behavioral Economics, there is a concept of commitment devices, i.e., physical, virtual, or human means of saving yourself from yourself. Odysseus, the original behavioral economist, got himself tied to the mast to avoid giving in to sirens' songs. I'll have to do something like that with the Moto songs.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:37 am

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:21 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
As others have noted, you update through the Settings screen on the phone itself. Google issues monthly patches, but it's up to each device manufacturer to push that out to unlocked devices and up to the manufacturer and phone carrier to push that out to carrier-locked devices. Some manufacturers and carriers are better than others at doing this. Some update shortly after Google makes them available and others are quite sporadic.
Thank you, Mudpuppy,

My first challenge will be to find the Settings screen. It's easy when you have been using smartphones for a while. But as a new user, I don't take anything for granted.
Mudpuppy wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:21 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
That is again up to the device manufacturer (and carrier for carrier-locked devices). Most will provide major OS updates within a year or two of unveiling that device model, but the exact time frame and availability varies widely.
I am getting this Moto phone as a trial device to become familiar with smartphones. I don't plan to use it for any sensitive exchanges; still, there are many possibilities to get in trouble. In the laptop world, one of the primary security measures it to keep the OS and applications patches up to date. It appears that the smartphone world is rigged against updates and patches by design.

Victoria

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:40 am

You can do everything on your phone with no SIM except make a call and text with your number. Even that isn't really true.

You can update all apps on Wi-Fi (when you get the phone, there will be updates because it has been sitting at the install version).

You can install an app like TextNow and get a local phone number and text (and make calls) without a SIM. Ad supported, so the experience may vary.

With no SIM, you essentially have an Android tablet with a good camera. At times I have two different phones going and can move the SIM between them. I have a more compact version where the battery lasts longer if I'm going camping or something.

If this is your first Android phone, you can set up a gmail account now. That will be used to log into your phone and save your settings, browser bookmarks, phone backup, photo backup.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:45 am

mxs wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:02 pm
I got the G5S Plus 64 gb and love it so far. As far as updates there are three kinds.

1. OS updates which you are guaranteed to get Android 8 aka Oreo, but not guaranteed anything beyond that. Motorola will furnish those in your particular situation when they want to. It can be weeks or months after the official Google release that you get these.

2. Security patches are on a similar time frame as OS updates and also handled by Motorola. I believe shortly after they release the 8.0 OS you will stop getting security updates as well.

3. App updates are dependent on the app and can happen at anytime and be released for years if not indefinitely.

I like my phone, but due to the quicker updates and longer time of OS and security updates I think getting a Google phone may be a good choice for a long term investment. If you want to be on the latest OS with the most recent security patches Motorola will get you likely two years at most, a Pixel or other Google phone will get OS updates for two years and security updates for three years. Just look up the Nexus 5x or 6p which were released two years ago with Android 6.0 and now have 8.0 or 8.1
Thank you, mxs, this is helpful.

As I have mentioned above, this will be my trial smartphone and I will not use it for anything sensitive. If I outgrow a few functions that I am planning to use on it, I will probably get a Google phone for its timely updates.

Victoria

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:53 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:40 am
You can do everything on your phone with no SIM except make a call and text with your number. Even that isn't really true.

You can update all apps on Wi-Fi (when you get the phone, there will be updates because it has been sitting at the install version).
Excellent!
bloom2708 wrote:
You can install an app like TextNow and get a local phone number and text (and make calls) without a SIM. Ad supported, so the experience may vary.
I have not done texting and don't miss it. But perhaps, getting a free app and trying it is a part of the learning experience.
bloom2708 wrote:
With no SIM, you essentially have an Android tablet with a good camera. At times I have two different phones going and can move the SIM between them. I have a more compact version where the battery lasts longer if I'm going camping or something.

If this is your first Android phone, you can set up a gmail account now. That will be used to log into your phone and save your settings, browser bookmarks, phone backup, photo backup.
I have a Gmail account, but I am concerned that if my new phone is compromised due to my beginner mistakes or unpatched vulnerabilities, I'll compromise my account, too. Do you know if Google would let me to create a separate account to use with this phone and keep it completely separate from my other account?

Victoria

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:01 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:53 am

I have a Gmail account, but I am concerned that if my new phone is compromised due to my beginner mistakes or unpatched vulnerabilities, I'll compromise my account, too. Do you know if Google would let me to create a separate account to use with this phone and keep it completely separate from my other account?

Victoria
You can have 10 gmail accounts if you want. I think the risks you are trying to prevent are quite small. Use a 6 digit pin to log into your phone. Have it lock after 1 or 2 minutes.

Use a strong password on your accounts(mix of special charactiers, upper/lower case letters and numbers), stay with mainstream apps, use two factor authentication where possible.

My phone has all the apps that I need to do all my banking and financial activities. Bank, Vanguard, Fidelity, Personal Capital, Credit Card apps.

Example: The Vanguard app will recognize your device after your first log in. It will request a code that they send you. It will then remember your device and you have to log in with your normal password each time.

Phones are really powerful computers and all the hoops you jump through at home on your desktop or laptop are there on your phone.

Post by 2015 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:09 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:

Excellent!
bloom2708 wrote:
I have not done texting and don't miss it. But perhaps, getting a free app and trying it is a part of the learning experience.
bloom2708 wrote:

Victoria
For the past week, while waiting for my phone carrier's ordered SIM to arrive, I've been using the phone over Wifi for everything from searches to using it for my alarm clock. I've even been using the Duo app to video chat with a long distance friend. What a difference between my 1st gen and this new 5th gen!

As I've stated before, I never do financials of any kind on my phone. I was therefore quite dismayed to discover that after all of my gyrations to buy a Yubikey, secure my Google account with no associated phone recovery option for dedicated financial emails used solely on my laptop, Google does not have a means by which you can selectively disable the gmail account. I am thinking of opening a second Google account strictly to be used for the phone.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that the more you use your phone, the more you're going to love it! :P

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:12 pm

Saving$ wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:09 am
The beauty of the G5 Plus is that it is carrier agnostic. I have already changed carriers once in the 6 months or so I have had the phone. By not buying it from the carrier, carrier cannot load the thing with carrier specific bloatware that slows down the phone. So you don't have a third layer to worry about. All you need are Android updates. Because Android is a Google product, a Google account is the basis of how the phone operates...
Thank you, Saving$,

Having a carrier-agnostic phone was my primary requirement. I also did not want to depend on the Apple environment.
Saving$ wrote:
Small Android Operating System updates are pushed automatically - there might be an option to turn that off, but the default is on. If there is a big update, your phone will notify you to plug it in and get on WiFi; you can opt to do that later. It will nag you once a day or so for a big update. Those take about 20 mins. You can check your Android status in Settings/System/About Phone.
On my laptops, I install all the patches and updates immediately, and I am planning to be equally vigilant with the smartphone. There will be no need to nag me, but as you and others have stated, Motorola will always be behind Google in pushing the updates.
Saving$ wrote:
Motorola also has a hand in this. Under Settings/Personal/Motorola you can set how much Motorola can see about how your phone is working.
I will check the Settings for two types of updates:
1) Settings/System/About Phone - Android updates
2) Settings/Personal/Motorola - Motorola updates

Are there any other updates I have to check for?
Saving$ wrote:
When you install your carrier's SIM card, there will be a bit of software called "Carrier Services" installed, which makes the phone work with your chosen carrier.

The G5 Plus will give you far more control over what is installed on your phone than any carrier branded phone, it is faster, it is affordable, it is flexible to any carrier, it has a great camera, it has gesture features no other phone has, it is not too small or large and it basically just works...no carrier/Android conflicts.

The only downside I have experienced is that I cannot get my current carrier's visual voicemail app to work; that is the carrier fault though, not the phone, as my previous carriers VV app worked fine.
Right now I don't have a cellular carrier. I am thinking of starting out with Consumer Cellular, because it has been recommended by the Bogleheads. But I am open to other MVNO suggestions.

If I take this phone to the Czech Republic, I will get a SIM from one of their local carriers. I am curious: when people travel abroad and get local SIMs, where do they keep their U.S. SIMs? Is there a portable SIM container? Do they leave the American SIM at home before they pack the phone?

Victoria

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:28 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:01 pm
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
You can have 10 gmail accounts if you want. I think the risks you are trying to prevent are quite small. Use a 6 digit pin to log into your phone. Have it lock after 1 or 2 minutes.
Great to know!

I have a degree in cybersecurity and know a lot about risks. Unfortunately, I have little practical experience in securing my environment. When I was working, I was relying on my agency to do it for me. Now that I am on my own, I am proceeding very cautiously.
bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:01 pm
Use a strong password on your accounts(mix of special charactiers, upper/lower case letters and numbers), stay with mainstream apps, use two factor authentication where possible.

My phone has all the apps that I need to do all my banking and financial activities. Bank, Vanguard, Fidelity, Personal Capital, Credit Card apps.

Example: The Vanguard app will recognize your device after your first log in. It will request a code that they send you. It will then remember your device and you have to log in with your normal password each time.

Phones are really powerful computers and all the hoops you jump through at home on your desktop or laptop are there on your phone.
I am not only concerned about locking the phone in case it's lost or stolen. I also consider not using geolocation, WiFi outside my home, and any financial transactions. But then there are some apps that I'd like to have, and they may conflict with my risk aversion. For example, I want to start using Uber, and I think this will require having both my geolocation and a payment account. I also may want to start using the phone as a GPS, if there is a GPS app.

Using a phone to log in to Vanguard from my home WiFi is probably not too risky, even though there were recent reports of unpatched routers. But I would not want to log in to Vanguard from a cafe WiFi, even using Vanguard application.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 2015 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:29 pm

Victoria, check out Republic Wireless. I've been with them since getting my 1st Gen G 2 1/2 years ago. I have the talk/text/unlimited data over Wifi with no cell data for $12.00 month. If I'm understanding Republic correctly, that will rise to $15.00 a month with this new phone. Unlike many, I rarely take the phone with me when I leave the house, so I have very little use for cell data, and can't justify upgrading to RW's $20.00/month for unlimited talk/text and 1GB of cell data. Instead I access the internet all the time over wifi at home, and whenever I go out, I access it at public hotspots. For example, I used wifi at the resort I was at in Mexico to access this and other forums and blogs. As I've stated, I never access anything sensitive over the phone, not at home or anywhere else. RW also allows you to switch plans anytime, so if I want access to cell data I can just switch to that plan for as long as I need it and switch back when I no longer do. For example, I'll switch from my $15.00 unlimited talk/text/data over wifi to the $20.00 plan that includes 1GB of cell data for the week I go home for Xmas, and switch back to my $12.00 plan when I get back. I like that I only have to pay for what I need for only as long as I need it.

Overall, this setup works for me.

Edited to add: I use Uber and yes they do have my credit card info, but I'm not concerned with someone stealing my phone just to get my CC info. Same with GPS. To me the risk is quite small whoever would steal my phone would be doing so to learn my address and try and rob me. I am also really happy with the new fingerprint lock/unlock safety feature.

Did you know you can also lock and even wipe your phone remotely using your gmail security features? This is my plan in the even my phone gets lost or stolen.

https://support.google.com/accounts/ans ... 0491?hl=en
Last edited by 2015 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:32 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:12 pm

Right now I don't have a cellular carrier. I am thinking of starting out with Consumer Cellular, because it has been recommended by the Bogleheads. But I am open to other MVNO suggestions.
Check out Ting. You'd have to decide if you want to go GSM or CDMA.

(I know nothing about the international consideration.)
"I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said." --Alan Greenspan

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:33 pm

2015 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:09 pm
As I've stated before, I never do financials of any kind on my phone. I was therefore quite dismayed to discover that after all of my gyrations to buy a Yubikey, secure my Google account with no associated phone recovery option for dedicated financial emails used solely on my laptop, Google does not have a means by which you can selectively disable the gmail account. I am thinking of opening a second Google account strictly to be used for the phone.
Thank you, 2015,

I'll get a separate Google account just for this phone.
2015 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:09 pm
I am going to go out on a limb and say that the more you use your phone, the more you're going to love it! :P
But I don't want to love it! This has a potential of becoming the most disastrous love affair.

Victoria

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:35 pm

2015 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:29 pm
Victoria, check out Republic Wireless.
For example, I used wifi at the resort I was at in Mexico to access this and other forums and blogs
Thank you, I will check out Republic Wireless.

When you were in Mexico, you just used WiFi, right? You did not get a local SIM?

Victoria

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:38 pm

2015 wrote:
Edited to add: I use Uber and yes they do have my credit card info, but I'm not concerned with someone stealing my phone just to get my CC info. Same with GPS. To me the risk is quite small whoever would steal my phone would be doing so to learn my address and try and rob me. I am also really happy with the new fingerprint lock/unlock safety feature.

Did you know you can also lock and even wipe your phone remotely using your gmail security features? This is my plan in the even my phone gets lost or stolen.

Thank you for the remote destruction instructions! The beauty of a $169 phone is that if I had to do it, it would not be too painful,

Victoria

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:39 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:45 am
As I have mentioned above, this will be my trial smartphone
When you get your phone, be sure to stand up straight occasionally.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fa/69/b1 ... fc0338.jpg

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:41 pm

saltycaper wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:32 pm
VictoriaF wrote:

Check out Ting. You'd have to decide if you want to go GSM or CDMA.

(I know nothing about the international consideration.)
Thank you, I will check out Ting. I don't have a preference for using CDMA or GSM for as long as the coverage is decent. And if I understand it correctly, I can have a CDMA SIM with an American cellular provider and a GSM SIM with a Czech provider.

Victoria

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:41 pm

azurekep wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:39 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:45 am
As I have mentioned above, this will be my trial smartphone
When you get your phone, be sure to stand up straight occasionally.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fa/69/b1 ... fc0338.jpg
Thank you for keeping me straight!

Victoria

markcoop

Post by markcoop » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:45 pm

spoonfork wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:51 pm
I'm not willing to drop $700 on a Pixel just to get the fastest updates.
I find all phones have deals eventually. On Cyber Monday, Bestbuy had the Pixel XL for $5/month on contract for 2 years ($120 total).
Mark

Post by 2015 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:48 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:35 pm
2015 wrote:
Victoria, check out Republic Wireless.
For example, I used wifi at the resort I was at in Mexico to access this and other forums and blogs
Thank you, I will check out Republic Wireless.

When you were in Mexico, you just used WiFi, right? You did not get a local SIM?

Victoria
I was in Punta Mita in October and just used the free ubiquitous wifi at the resort and at the airports (LAX and PVR). I could have, but didn't bother with buying a local SIM (I'm just not on my phone enough to need cell data when wifi data will work fine for me). While there, I used the phone to internet search, make calls, text, and even to access Youtube to listen to Fleetwood Mac's Albatross while staring out at the sea. It's just amazing to think this has only would been possible in the last 10 years!

My favorite thing about the G5 is how much faster it is thank my 1st Gen G. I already only use speech to text for texting, and only use speech for searches, and the G5 just seems to move faster. As for apps, I don't have as many as most people (a friend has confessed to having 600 on his iphone!), but do use the Google authenticator as one backup for my google account (other is printed Google passcodes), use Postman to block unwanted texts, and Legal Call Blocker to block all unwanted calls. For offline GPS (when I don't have cell data), I use Herewego because you can use the GPS offline. I would say most of my apps are utilitarian, but was just this morning was thinking of downloading a sounds app to customize my phone alarm clock sounds. You will see on your Googleplay there are many many apps that do the same thing, so the apps I've talked about are only suggestions. You might find superior ones.

Post by 2015 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:32 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:38 pm
2015 wrote:

Thank you for the remote destruction instructions! The beauty of a $169 phone is that if I had to do it, it would not be too painful,

Victoria
And on second thought, after reviewing that Google remote find/lock/wipe security page again, I've decided against getting a separate Google account just for the phone. Between the G5's fingerprint lock/unlock feature, coupled with the ability to wipe the phone in the event of lost or stolen, getting a second dedicated google account just for the phone would be overkill. I figure were my phone lost or stolen, I would simply wipe the phone immediately before anyone had time to peruse my gmail account, let alone decide to use it to attempt to get into my accounts.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:39 pm

Can you update and/or otherwise manage this phone from a PC?
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:39 pm
You can attach to your pc via a USB cable. Copy music on. Copy photos off. That type of thing.

There is no management from the PC. It is more related to your Google account.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:27 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:05 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
You can attach to your pc via a USB cable. Copy music on. Copy photos off. That type of thing.

So no OS updates? What about app loads? I ask because I can do that with my iPad, but that's a whole different thing. I don't have any experience with other devices.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:32 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:27 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:05 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:

So no OS updates? What about app loads? I ask because I can do that with my iPad, but that's a whole different thing. I don't have any experience with other devices.
Android doesn't have an iTunes centric app like Apple for maintaining and backup up your phone.

OS and app updates will come from over the air (cellular or wi-fi). You can see your list of apps from your google account that you have used on past devices.

I have never had a true Google phone like Pixel. There are some advantages of each platform. I've had iPhones in the past. If you are happy with the Apple ecosystem, then no reason to change.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:34 pm

markcoop wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:45 pm
spoonfork wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:51 pm
I'm not willing to drop $700 on a Pixel just to get the fastest updates.
I find all phones have deals eventually. On Cyber Monday, Bestbuy had the Pixel XL for $5/month on contract for 2 years ($120 total).
So... not $5 or $120, then (the word CONTRACT kills any "deal")

I have a G5 Plus 64gb coming. Managed to get an unlocked one for ~$190 from Best Buy. Jumped when I could get the non-amazon one for a great price. Will still be my most expensive phone by more than 2x my current phone.
I relish in buying lagging technology :mrgreen: [age under 40, as I think I should specify in relation to this thread]

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:13 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:32 pm

Android doesn't have an iTunes centric app like Apple for maintaining and backup up your phone.
Looks like you used to could. There was, well still is, the "Motorola device manager". My reading online is that it isn't supported by the manufacturer anymore and won't work with newer phones.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:14 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:37 am
Thank you, Mudpuppy,

My first challenge will be to find the Settings screen. It's easy when you have been using smartphones for a while. But as a new user, I don't take anything for granted.
Just in case you haven't found a tutorial on accessing the Settings screen, on most Android phones you can swipe down from the top of the screen to access the notifications screen. The gear icon to access Settings will be located somewhere in that screen (usually on the upper-right). There might also already be a shortcut to settings on your home screen.
VictoriaF wrote:
If I take this phone to the Czech Republic, I will get a SIM from one of their local carriers. I am curious: when people travel abroad and get local SIMs, where do they keep their U.S. SIMs? Is there a portable SIM container? Do they leave the American SIM at home before they pack the phone?
SIMs are relatively small and easy to misplace. I use a spare plastic case from an SD card for storing my SIM the few times I need to do that. It's still something small and easy to lose, but I can put it in a specific zippered pocket in my purse once it's protected by the plastic case.
VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:28 pm
I am not only concerned about locking the phone in case it's lost or stolen. I also consider not using geolocation, WiFi outside my home, and any financial transactions. But then there are some apps that I'd like to have, and they may conflict with my risk aversion. For example, I want to start using Uber, and I think this will require having both my geolocation and a payment account. I also may want to start using the phone as a GPS, if there is a GPS app.
Google Maps functions well as a GPS app as long as you have Internet connectivity. Or you can install an offline GPS app for when you don't have connectivity. I've never had an issue driving around California or Nevada with Google Maps though.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:26 am

Offline GPS tip:

Before a trip to Curacao, I downloaded an app called Magic Earth - for offline GPS use.
I took the time to input dive sites / beaches as favorites, then we could easily navigate to them once we arrived, with no cell phone / data use. Worked great - it lets you select areas to download ahead of time by Country or State.