Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
davemanjam

Re: Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Post by davemanjam »

I too have a 10 year old Panasonic Plasma.
I can't justify the 'upgrade' currently since 4k does not really interest me as content/bandwidth is limited in my house.
So, I'll wait till it stops working, which may not be anytime soon as its given me zero problems in those 10 years and no signs of slowing down.
I should also note that I've relocated 5 times in those 10 years, so its been through some abuse and has proven to be quite durable.

But, as others have said Plasma is gone, OLED is the new Plasma.
squirm

Post by squirm »

10 years ago, I found a used plasma for my friend, so we could use it for xbox. We called it "the heater". I'd say "Go turn on the heater so we can xbox".
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I have two Panasonic Plasma TVs. They both work but one is just sitting on a dresser since I'm crashing at my GF's place and space is limited.

My 50" Plasma is probably from 2006 and the 42" from 2008. Just a rough guess. I moved into that house in 2003 and bought a 36" tube tv :oops: And then HD tvs came down in price and I bought both online (first tv/big expense items purchased from Amazon). I recall ordering it on a Sunday and was surprised to get a call on Monday asking when I wanted it delivered. At the time they had some kind of white glove free delivery.

I was never a fan of the super bright TVs. Eventually once I settle into a home, and prices drop a bit, I'll get a QLED tv or whatever is good at that time.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

lol, I still have my betamax and laserdisc player hooked up to my plasma.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:17 pm Every time I buy a TV I think, wow, picture can't get better than this!
A few years later the TV pictures get better. Continuous improvement, and decreasing prices.

Broken Man 1999
Not really true of OLEDs. Rtings and CNET reviews of the 2015 models, when they first came onto the market in quantity, find them essentially identical in picture quality to 2020 models. So no reason to hold off with OLEDs except (slowly) falling prices.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

ensign_lee wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:56 am OLEDs bring everything plasma does, but lighter and better.

So yes, I think they're gone forever.
I agree with your second statement for sure, but the first is only partially correct. OLED brings the vivid colors and deep blacks that good Plasmas have been known for, but do not perform as well in bright rooms or with content that contains fast motion.

Our beloved Samsung F8500 Plasma died on Sunday after 7.5 years. The replacement Sony A8H OLED showed up about an hour ago, but I'm still probably going to get the Plasma repaired. It's an issue with the power board, which is incredibly common in these sets and can be fixed for well under $100. Seems a shame to consign such a stellar TV to the scrap heap if we don't need to.
illumination

Post by illumination »

I loved plasma also, was sad to hear when they stopped making them. I still have around a 10 year old Panasonic plasma and it puts out a better picture than my new-ish 4k Samsung LCD.

OLED is the first time I saw a picture that I thought was better than a flagship plasma. Eventually I plan to get one, but prices coming down has taken longer than I expected.

If I could have done it all over, I should have bought a Pioneer Kuro, the last hurrah for plasma that most would say was the pinnacle of plasma.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Kagord wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:49 pm lol, I still have my betamax and laserdisc player hooked up to my plasma.
Are you writing this on a Wang and listening to 78 RPM records, too? :happy
02nz

Post by 02nz »

illumination wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:51 pm OLED is the first time I saw a picture that I thought was better than a flagship plasma. Eventually I plan to get one, but prices coming down has taken longer than I expected.
I think this is mainly because there's only one company (LG) making TV panels. Samsung didn't really enter the market, despite being a major supplier of OLED displays for phones. Even now, with Sony and Vizio also selling OLED TVs, the panels still come from LG. The lack of competition (and OLED's obvious advantages in picture quality) have meant prices have not fallen quickly. We got our 65" LG OLED (EF9500 series) almost 5 years ago for $3000, and that size OLED TV still costs around $2000 today unless you find a sale.

So, given the slow pace at which picture quality is improving and prices are dropping for OLED TVs, I say don't wait.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

lazydavid wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:46 pm I agree with your second statement for sure, but the first is only partially correct. OLED brings the vivid colors and deep blacks that good Plasmas have been known for, but do not perform as well in bright rooms or with content that contains fast motion.
I don't watch sports on TV, so I can't speak to motion, but OLED TVs perform much better in bright rooms. Not as well as the best LCDs, but better than even the best plasmas. Plasmas start looking washed out when there's even a moderate amount of light is present in the room. Not so with OLEDs, which can get much brighter than plasmas can.

(There's a separate issue of the anti-glare coating, which varies by model, some are more effective than others. That of course also has an impact on bright-room performance.)
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

02nz wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:31 pm I don't watch sports on TV, so I can't speak to motion, but OLED TVs perform much better in bright rooms. Not as well as the best LCDs, but better than even the best plasmas. Plasmas start looking washed out when there's even a moderate amount of light is present in the room. Not so with OLEDs, which can get much brighter than plasmas can.
Yeah I guess I have to walk this back a bit, being spoiled by the brightest Plasma ever produced--205 nits on a fully-lit display. The OLED I replaced it with does 156 or 182 nits depending on whether HDR is enabled (higher for SDR, oddly enough). But yes, for smaller portions of the screen, the range is much larger--up to 780 nits for just 2% of the screen, with HDR enabled. I can report back on my in-home findings after I mount the new one later today. :)

And it's not just sports that have fast motion, many movies and TV shows do also, though it's certainly more consistent in sports.
goos_news

Post by goos_news »

I've held off getting a new TV, as the content for 4K wasn't there and the various LCD/QxxD replacements seemed like a step over, at max. It is getting time, and I wouldn't mind if my 60" 1080p Panasonic finally dies so I can buy an OLED.
Bogle7

OLED, baby

Post by Bogle7 »

Living Room in October 2020

New = LG OLED55CXPUA 55-inch TV + Sonos Arc soundbar + tax/installation $2800.
Blacks are deep. Viewing angle is very good. Excellent crisp picture.
Arc’s sound is awesome. The self-calibration feature makes it easy to set up.

This article—https://www.macobserver.com/reviews/qui ... e-tv-plus/ convinced me to pull the trigger

Old = Panasonic TC-PC50S60 Plasma 50-inch TV

The old TV went to our neighbors to replace their 11-year-old Sony KDL-32EX400 32-inch LCD TV.

Basement in January 2021

New LG OLED77CXPUA + Yamaha RXA2 receiver + KEF T301 speakers + upgrading in-ceiling speakers to KEFs + tax/installation $7600
Whoah!
Huge viewing area with awesome sound volume and clarity.

Old = Panasonic TC-PC50S60 Plasma 50-inch TV which went to the master bedroom and the old 46-inch plasma was free-cycled.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

02nz wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:33 am
bloom2708 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:29 am My 2008 Panasonic Viera 50" plasma is still going strong in the basement. Nice and dark down there.

Never have fixed a thing on it. I want a 65" OLED. Saw a $1,500 price point for a 65" OLED during Christmas. Didn't jump on it.

I assume plasma is gone. Too hard to make. New tech will leave it behind, but they still have a nice picture.

I often see the high end plasma on Craigslist for $50 or $75. But at the age, you never know what kind of problems you might get.
People wax poetic about plasma like it's some mythical golden age of picture quality. We have both a top-rated Panasonic plasma from around 2010 and an LG OLED from around 2015. There's just no comparison - the OLED is SO much better, and with even normal daytime indoor light conditions, the plasma literally pales in comparison. That's before considering OLED's advantages in power consumption, heat output, thinness, and burn-in*. In short, if you're holding onto plasma because you think "they don't make 'em like they used to," well, there are good reasons why they don't!

* Theoretically OLEDs are also susceptible, like plasmas, but our OLED has no visible burn-in while our plasma does have some, even though the OLED has seen much more use by now.
I am definitely waxing poetic. That’s why I drudged up this old thread :D

It’s better than my Samsung LCD but I wouldn’t buy another one with OLED being out there.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

ensign_lee wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:56 am OLEDs bring everything plasma does, but lighter and better.

So yes, I think they're gone forever.
Not everything, motion handling on Plasmas is still superior to OLED. Everything else though, OLED beats plasma hands down. I had a few of the higher end Panasonic plasmas, but have switched over to 65" LG C9 OLED. It's a great TV, best I've ever had overall, but I do miss the motion handling on the plasmas. That said, if I bought another TV it would absolutely be OLED and likely 77"....the 65" seems small to me now even though I was used to 55" before getting OLED
Last edited by FireSekr on Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

For those replacing old televisions, also remember that you may need to upgrade your cables in order to take advantage of the higher resolutions and refresh rates of the newer tech. If you have a plasma television, there's a good chance you are still using an HDMI 1.4 cable; you want at least 2.0 on a 4k television, and preferably 2.1.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

02nz wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:21 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:17 pm Every time I buy a TV I think, wow, picture can't get better than this!
A few years later the TV pictures get better. Continuous improvement, and decreasing prices.

Broken Man 1999
Not really true of OLEDs. Rtings and CNET reviews of the 2015 models, when they first came onto the market in quantity, find them essentially identical in picture quality to 2020 models. So no reason to hold off with OLEDs except (slowly) falling prices.
The processing and motion handling has improved, but that's about it, and it hasn't been a huge improvement. I think it would be fairly hard to tell the difference between a 2015 and a 2020 model.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

I have a 50 inch LG Plasma from 2012, still working fine and I’m hoping it lasts a lot longer given how TV’s have changed since I bought it. That was the last TV I bought. Our 40 inch Toshiba Regza LCD from 2010 just died on Sunday, January 3rd. No indications of a problem, but I heard a pop while watching and then the screen went black. The plasma is upstairs in our bedroom and can’t be moved into the living room where the Toshiba was in an Armoire. We bought the Toshiba because it just barely fit in the Armoire at 38 inches wide. We had to get a TV immediately and were surprised at how they have changed. Local availability of TV’s is limited and we were again limited by the overall width of 38 inches. We ended up with a TCL Roku 43 inch model 43S525. The Toshiba weighed about 45 pounds, the TCL less than 20. The Toshiba had a very substantial plastic stand, the TCL has two flimsy plastic legs, that I had to modify so that they splayed in rather than out, so to fit on the pedestals in the Armoire. If I had more time, we could have done some research and probably got a better TV, but we still have the size limit. The TCL doesn’t have very good wide angle viewing, but what can you expect for $300? Once we move some time later this year, the Armoire becomes a closet and we get a big screen mounted on a wall.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I bought a Plasma that ran so hot I had to take it back! While it could heat my home in the winter, summertime was the deal breaker.

My HDMI ports got fried by an electrical storm on my 42” Philips 1080P that cost $1200, 13 years ago. Replaced it with a TCL 55” Roku tv for $150, Black Friday sale.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
inspector00

Post by inspector00 »

I currently have a 42 inch panasonic plasma bought in 2008 and a 50 inch Panasonic plasma bought in 2012. Plasma is not coming back since OLED has surpassed them but the picture is still great and they just don't die.
IRouteIP

Post by IRouteIP »

The 42" Panasonic Viera plasma I bought in 2006 is still the main TV in my house!
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

bloom2708 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:36 am
02nz wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:33 am People wax poetic about plasma like it's some mythical golden age of picture quality. We have both a top-rated Panasonic plasma from around 2010 and an LG OLED from around 2015. There's just no comparison - the OLED is SO much better, and with even normal daytime indoor light conditions, the plasma literally pales in comparison. That's before considering OLED's advantages in power consumption, heat output, and thinness. In short, if you're holding onto plasma because you think "they don't make 'em like they used to," well, there are good reasons why they don't!
Actually I know they don't make them like they used to. OLED is far superior.

It just isn't $1,500 + tax superior at this point for me. At some point it will be worth it to upgrade.

I wouldn't mind if the plasma died. That would stimulate a purchase.
The impression I've gotten from reading some of the more in-depth evaluations is that, in a technical comparison, OLED has a significant advantage in brightness, and of course newer features (eg: 4K, HDR) and small advantages by most other measures. Meanwhile plasma still has a slight advantage in off-axis color shift and motion smoothness, but the smoothness comes at the expense of blur. I'm just going by what I read, since I don't own an OLED screen.

I pointed out upthread that the power consumption advantage was much smaller in later year plasma TV's than when plasma screens were in their heyday - just 12W difference for two models I compared.

Overall, my view is similar - I'm not seeing features or quality improvements discussed with OLED screens that would make me upgrade now, but if my plasma screen dies or I catch upgraditis, I won't have any serious qualms about replacing it with an OLED.

I only watch maybe 5 hours a week, so it could take a while before it dies. If the average TV lasts 5 years, since the average American watches 4 hours per day, and my TV is 8 years old, I'm probably going to be shopping for a new TV around the year 2041. 8-)
edge

Post by edge »

I find a large amount of 4K hdr/dolby vision content on streaming services.

Imo the HDR makes a bigger difference than 4K resolution.
goos_news wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:30 pm I've held off getting a new TV, as the content for 4K wasn't there and the various LCD/QxxD replacements seemed like a step over, at max. It is getting time, and I wouldn't mind if my 60" 1080p Panasonic finally dies so I can buy an OLED.
Topic Author
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

My old thread is alive. My Samsung 55" plasma still working great. Live sports are a pleasure to watch. Eventually it'll have to be replaced and, I guess, OLED is the logical choice. I don't follow TV prices closely but it seems OLED's haven't significantly come down in price. My TV is about 10 years old with zero problems. I still say you can't beat viewing experience and value when you consider I paid a little over $400 for it.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
onourway

Post by onourway »

Just bought a 60” Panasonic built in 2013 (last year, I believe) that looks like new. Our 42” Panasonic from a couple of years before went to the bedroom.

Paid $200. OLED is probably better - HDR should make the biggest difference when you can get the entire chain together - but once again, what’s great about this plasma is that pretty much everything - no matter what the source quality - looks pretty good and extremely natural. Hard to beat at this price!
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

edge wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:35 pm I find a large amount of 4K hdr/dolby vision content on streaming services.

goos_news wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:30 pm I've held off getting a new TV, as the content for 4K wasn't there and the various LCD/QxxD replacements seemed like a step over, at max. It is getting time, and I wouldn't mind if my 60" 1080p Panasonic finally dies so I can buy an OLED.
Absolutely. 1080 is already close to the limit of 20:20 vision at typical viewing distances and screen sizes. When I bought my plasma TV, I also immediately bought Jurassic Park to enjoy on it, and made sure to get a version that had both the Bluray and the DVD to compare.

I had to consciously pay attention to the level of detail visible in clothing textures, foliage, etc to notice differences or to be dissatisfied with the DVD. If I didn't pay attention, I did not notice. I'm skeptical I'd notice the difference between 1080 and 4K without looking really carefully. On a bigger TV, of course, it would be easier to notice.

Differences in contrast, shadow and highlight detail and color reproduction was definitely easier to notice, even though Bluray only had minor improvements to those factors compared to DVD. The newer HDR standards are supposed to provide much bigger improvements in dynamic range and color.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Bought my 50" Panasonic plasma in 2011...mainly because it was nearly 1/3 cheaper than same-size LCD HDTVs at the time...still my main HDTV.

Even back then plasma sets offered superior contrast, viewing angle, and refresh rates versus most LCD HDTVs...about the only advantage of the latter was absolute brightness...didn't care about that because my plasma lives in the basement.

Not yet ready to pay 3x what I paid for my plasma for an OLED HDTV.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

LG 77” 2020 model on sale for $3,496.99 with free shipping.

Whether or not this is worth it to you is a personal decision, but at this size 4K, HDR, etc. are a clear upgrade over the smaller plasma. Even to my old eyes.

The one area where I find the OLEDs less than satisfactory is when the streaming bandwidth is throttled/limited and the scene is very dark. I find the image processing results in some posterization/banding artifacts. It happens seldom. I probably could switch my TV to a lower standard (eg, 1080p) and avoid it, but as I say, it’s rare.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

ncbill wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:00 am Not yet ready to pay 3x what I paid for my plasma for an OLED HDTV.
My 51" plasma was $1,698 in November of 2013. The 55" OLED I replaced it with lists for $1,900 (so about the same in real dollars), but I bought it for $1,448. So unless you bought your 50" for less than $500 in 2011, you don't need to worry about paying 3x.
9liner

Post by 9liner »

ensign_lee wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:57 am
Ged wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:37 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:03 am I have two OLED TVs that I watch all the time, rather than my 72” LCD, whIcy seldom gets turned on. 55” and 65” OLEDs are, IMO, already affordable for people who value picture quality, but I just can’t get myself to pull the trigger on a 77” $10-15k TV.
I have a nice 70" LCD. While I'd love to have an OLED I'n not willing to go down in size or pay 10K. First world problems I guess.

As far as plasmas go the limited brightness was problem for me.

LG is expanding production like crazy. I hope they can come out with a 70+ OLED for 5K soon...
They already have? You can get a 77" LG OLED for $3600 from Costco right now I thought?
Ensign, You're replying to a post that is almost 4 years old.
Scott S

Post by Scott S »

adamthesmythe wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:01 amI would bet on plasma TV as being gone forever.

There is a long-shot possibility that they might be made again at very high prices for a very small number of customers. Like, for example, vacuum tubes for high-end stereos. The manufacturing challenges are much greater, however, so my bet is still against.
Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath. The vacuum-tube industry survives because decades of legacy equipment were designed around tubes as relatively-standardized replacement parts. My understanding is that the main unit in a plasma TV isn't replaceable, so you'd have to junk the whole unit.

Too bad, because I appreciate things that can be fixed. :)
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Scott S wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:56 am
adamthesmythe wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:01 amI would bet on plasma TV as being gone forever.

There is a long-shot possibility that they might be made again at very high prices for a very small number of customers. Like, for example, vacuum tubes for high-end stereos. The manufacturing challenges are much greater, however, so my bet is still against.
Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath. The vacuum-tube industry survives because decades of legacy equipment were designed around tubes as relatively-standardized replacement parts. My understanding is that the main unit in a plasma TV isn't replaceable, so you'd have to junk the whole unit.

Too bad, because I appreciate things that can be fixed. :)
The screen itself has a theoretically long life and should wear out by gradually dimming. As far as I understand, the manufacturing requires a lot more complex of equipment than vacuum tubes, so it just won't happen without a substantial market. The power supply and motherboards are the parts that are more likely to cause outright failure. Those are replaceable, and probably closer to vacuum tubes in terms of challenge of restarting production, due to custom circuit board production being a well-established industry. However, the designs are proprietary, so the original manufacturer has to be on board, or a third party needs to reverse engineer or design a compatible board.

Instead, I expect the major manufacturers to simply continue to work on improving OLED's relatively few weaknesses. Over time, those of us still rocking a technology with as cool sounding of a name as a plasma screen will eventually replace them with OLED's simply because that's what will be available. Meanwhile, any holdouts will bid against each other for a gradually dwindling number functional used TV's and salvageable parts, as happens with other legacy products like classic cars.
edge

Post by edge »

Yes, agreed. HDR makes a huge difference. Easiest way to tell is to watch a 4K Dolby vision Disney+ movie and then watch the same on fios/cable tv (1080i). The resolution might be noticeable but the color/contrast is going to be way more stark. The Dolby vision content is vibrant with high levels of realistic contrast without being over saturated. It is stunning frankly.
iamlucky13 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:50 am
edge wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:35 pm I find a large amount of 4K hdr/dolby vision content on streaming services.

Absolutely. 1080 is already close to the limit of 20:20 vision at typical viewing distances and screen sizes. When I bought my plasma TV, I also immediately bought Jurassic Park to enjoy on it, and made sure to get a version that had both the Bluray and the DVD to compare.

I had to consciously pay attention to the level of detail visible in clothing textures, foliage, etc to notice differences or to be dissatisfied with the DVD. If I didn't pay attention, I did not notice. I'm skeptical I'd notice the difference between 1080 and 4K without looking really carefully. On a bigger TV, of course, it would be easier to notice.

Differences in contrast, shadow and highlight detail and color reproduction was definitely easier to notice, even though Bluray only had minor improvements to those factors compared to DVD. The newer HDR standards are supposed to provide much bigger improvements in dynamic range and color.
emoore

Post by emoore »

Like others have said, OLED is the new Plasma. My plasma TV finally died after 15 years. Replacing it with an LCD. I'm going to try to skip the OLEDs and go to mircoLEDs when those start coming out and being price competitive (5 years I would guess). MicroLEDs are supposed to have the same benefits as OLED but without the burn-in risk.
IMO

Post by IMO »

Still have one plasma TV in the house. Had to bolt it down so it won't accidently tip over and kill someone.
goos_news

Post by goos_news »

Perhaps only on bogleheads do we find so may people talking about their plasma tvs in 2020. We are frugal (and yes, I posted earlier about having my Panasonic still) :beer :moneybag
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

goos_news wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:38 pm Perhaps only on bogleheads do we find so may people talking about their plasma tvs in 2020. We are frugal (and yes, I posted earlier about having my Panasonic still) :beer :moneybag
Probably any home theater forum has active ongoing discussions about plasma screens. This one certainly does:
https://www.avsforum.com/forums/plasma- ... ast_days=7
Ykcor

Post by Ykcor »

angelescrest wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:13 pm I bought the last model imported to America three years ago, roughly.
If it was imported roughly, was it damaged? :wink:
Ykcor

Post by Ykcor »

Still have a 55 inch Samsung plasma. Only watch special events. Best TV I've ever owned, but haven't gone Oled yet as prices come down every year.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

I have a 50 inch Panasonic Versa that I use almost everyday...I watch hours and hours of " tape" video for either scouting, practice, game film...etc....anyway...the deep colors are still the best over everything we have in the building...I love this old tank...I also have a Pioneer Elite at home that is in my den and I have had nothing but luck with it...Of course I also have a home theater with MacIntosh tube amps...OLD SCHOOL BABY!!
tullera

Post by tullera »

We still use our Pioneer KURO PDP-6050FD (purchased in 2008) every day for watching TV and movies (no video games or sports, so those issues don't apply). We just moved it from being wall mounted in a condo to sitting on the original stand (amazingly I still had it in the storage space) in a house and it's working great.

It was a beast to move, it sometimes slightly buzzes if the screen has too much white on it (ha ha) but it still looks great, blacks are black, the viewing angle is wide, and I actually really enjoy the frame around the TV. I just wish I had been able to import the white SHIRO KURO model when those were made. Ah well.

Anyway, when this thing finally dies, will definitely replace with an OLED (probably LG) and then we can finally take advantage of the 4k discs we have but in the meantime watching them on the plasma with our OPPO UDP-203 still looks really fantastic.
Ged

Post by Ged »

ensign_lee wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:57 am
Ged wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:37 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:03 am I have two OLED TVs that I watch all the time, rather than my 72” LCD, whIcy seldom gets turned on. 55” and 65” OLEDs are, IMO, already affordable for people who value picture quality, but I just can’t get myself to pull the trigger on a 77” $10-15k TV.
I have a nice 70" LCD. While I'd love to have an OLED I'n not willing to go down in size or pay 10K. First world problems I guess.

As far as plasmas go the limited brightness was problem for me.

LG is expanding production like crazy. I hope they can come out with a 70+ OLED for 5K soon...
They already have? You can get a 77" LG OLED for $3600 from Costco right now I thought?
You responded to a 3+ year old message.
goos_news

Post by goos_news »

iamlucky13 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:33 am
goos_news wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:38 pm Perhaps only on bogleheads do we find so may people talking about their plasma tvs in 2020. We are frugal (and yes, I posted earlier about having my Panasonic still) :beer :moneybag
Probably any home theater forum has active ongoing discussions about plasma screens. This one certainly does:
https://www.avsforum.com/forums/plasma- ... ast_days=7
Well, I stand corrected. Good to see the interest. I see an active Ebay market as well. My new TV just got cheaper :sharebeer
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

IMO wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:22 pm Still have one plasma TV in the house. Had to bolt it down so it won't accidently tip over and kill someone.
Hilarious but also true.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Panasonic TC-P42X3 purchased for $419 in December 2011 from Sears. No plans to replace it.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
illumination

Post by illumination »

iamlucky13 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:50 am

I notice a huge difference between DVD at 480i and BluRay at 1080p. Some DVDs seem borderline unwatchable for me now with the sharp pixel edges and moire patterns. It's funny how when I first got the DVD format, it seemed like it couldn't get any better, but that was on a smaller CRT TV. The difference between 1080 and 4k is far more subtle to me, mainly depending on how close I am to the TV or how big the screen is. So much though depends on the source material.

I find that things like black levels can be more important than resolution, I have a newer 4k Samsung LCD and my old Panasonic Plasma at 720p just puts out a more pleasing picture with the same material.

I would have loved to have seen plasma keep going, I bet 4k plasmas would have been dirt cheap. You probably could have got something that came close to OLED for like an 70% discount. I think one thing people way over emphasized was burn in paranoia (largely fixed on later models) and also power consumption (it was more energy but almost a rounding error on one's overall utility bill).
Figuring_it_out

Post by Figuring_it_out »

Plast was expensive to manufacture and 4K resolution was near impossible to achieve. That was the beginning of the end for plasma. Not enough TV videophiles to justify the shrinking volume when cheap LCDs were flooding the market.

I have two Plasmas that I can wait to die but the picture is so good on them I cant bare to toss them. Only want them to die so I can get a larger screen. All friends and family have all the TV they need so no direct heirs to these TVs. :(
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

squirm wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:34 pm 10 years ago, I found a used plasma for my friend, so we could use it for xbox. We called it "the heater". I'd say "Go turn on the heater so we can xbox".
OMG! This quote hit too close to home for me. I have a 9 year old 60" Panasonic Viera Plasma TV that radiants heat you can feel when you walk by it. It's like a 400 Watt light bulb when ON. I guess that explains the $350/mo electric bills we have been getting since the pandemic hit. DW & I are both still working from home since March and we ususally leave it on all the the time for background noise. We have streamed pretty much every DIY episode available on HGTV. Lately, it's been America's Test Kitchen on Pluto TV and Tiny Home Nation on The Roku Channel. TV is ON like 14 hours a day :oops: Cannot get any better though for sports action, great picture and very smooth.
It is not about how much you make, it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Sure you might save by avoiding new capex, but those 500+ watt electricity guzzling plasma tvs are certainly not friendly to the opex budget if they are used much.
Bogle7

Yes

Post by Bogle7 »

Figuring_it_out wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:46 pmI have two Plasmas that I can wait to die but the picture is so good on them I cant bare to toss them. Only want them to die so I can get a larger screen. All friends and family have all the TV they need so no direct heirs to these TVs.
Free cycle on NextDoor.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.