Page 3 of 3

Re: Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:55 pm
by Figuring_it_out
Not looking to give them away. Even if I sold them, you can get a 60" TV from walmart for $300.

How much do you think I can get for my big heavy dusty 12 year old 58" heat maker that might die tomorrow? ~$100. The tight wad in me refuses to sell my $3000 TV for a mere $100. :) yes I know....hold your logical argument why I'm thinking about this wrong. :)

Re: Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:26 pm
by AllMostThere
Figuring_it_out wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:55 pm Not looking to give them away. Even if I sold them, you can get a 60" TV from walmart for $300.

How much do you think I can get for my big heavy dusty 12 year old 58" heat maker that might die tomorrow? ~$100. The tight wad in me refuses to sell my $3000 TV for a mere $100. :) yes I know....hold your logical argument why I'm thinking about this wrong. :)
I had to smile with your post. You are probably thinking like me - I'n not going to let someone else enjoy my depreciation value, I'll keep it until it dies! I agree that it's not logical, but this system works! :mrgreen:

Re: Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:51 pm
by pahkcah
Like a trip down memory lane. We loved our Panasonic plasma. Still remember the looks on the neighbor's faces when they saw the picture quality during our first Super Bowl party. Even when the fireplace was on, people congregated in front of the TV due to the heat it gave off.

Re: Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:54 pm
by Triple digit golfer
I have 10 and 8 year old Panasonic plasmas. Both are working great and the pictures on them are excellent.

Re: Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:57 pm
by Rex66
i still have one
its nice in a dark room but as others have mentioned oled is frankly superior. i wouldnt bother fixing a broken plasma.

Re: Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:35 pm
by iamlucky13
criticalmass wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:20 pm
goos_news wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:38 pm Perhaps only on bogleheads do we find so may people talking about their plasma tvs in 2020. We are frugal (and yes, I posted earlier about having my Panasonic still) :beer :moneybag
Sure you might save by avoiding new capex, but those 500+ 110 watt electricity guzzling plasma tvs are certainly not friendly to the opex budget if they are used much.
Let me adjust that energy figure for you. :beer

As I noted further upthread, not all plasma TV's are energy hogs. Even for those that are, it seems like 300W is more typical.

If you leave it on all the time like my neighbors (not joking - if I wake up at 3 AM and their living room window is not flashing, it startles me because it is so unusual), that will definitely add up, but if your usage is more like a movie or a couple shows in the evening (2 hours), the difference ends up being in the ballpark of $20 per year for a typical 60" plasma compared to a typical 60" OLED.
Figuring_it_out wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:55 pm Not looking to give them away. Even if I sold them, you can get a 60" TV from walmart for $300.

How much do you think I can get for my big heavy dusty 12 year old 58" heat maker that might die tomorrow? ~$100. The tight wad in me refuses to sell my $3000 TV for a mere $100. :) yes I know....hold your logical argument why I'm thinking about this wrong.
A $300 LCD TV won't compare to a plasma screen, as I'm reminded every time I stay in an VRBO/ Air BnB.

Resale price is heavily affected by whether the model you have is popular with those who want to stick with plasma. It seems like less popular, medium-sized plasma TV's go for $50-100, while decent, large plasma TV's tend to go for $200-300, but the models with the best reputations can go for much more. See this completed Ebay listing, for example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-Vier ... Sw8~Zfuw39

For any size, shipping can bite either an unaware buyer or seller. It seems like a lot of ebay listings are listed local pickup.

Re: Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:46 am
by hnd
I have a 60" LG Plasma a local community college was giving away. Its in the basement for the kids...on a stand but chained to the ceiling joists.

I also have a 46" Panasonic V series plasma in the garage. it was our main tv, but there was a deal on a TCL 65" i couldn't say no to last year.

i used to be a self perceived audio/video-phile who would like to talk about the amazing backlighting of the plasma and the crisp sound of my Mcintosh amplifier but that care has left me.

Re: Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:49 am
by Mr.BB
We also have a Samsung plasma TV, probably about 10 years old, great picture.

Re: Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:10 am
by pennstater2005
Panasonic to finally bring their OLED line up to the U.S.!

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/panasoni ... ound-sound

Re: Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:23 pm
by walks a lot
I have a Panasonic Plasma I bought so many years ago I forget how old it is. I love it, love it, love it. One of the best purchases I ever made. When it gives up the ghost, I figure I'll have to buy a non-plasma. I haven't had any experience with non-plasma, so I don't know if it will work out better or worse.

Re: Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:29 pm
by Zeppcoustic
Bought a 65" Panasonic P-65S60 plasma on Amazon in 2013 for $1400. Amazing value and performance. Still going strong. :beer

Re: Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:30 pm
by stats99
My 10 year old Panasonic Viera 55 inches “popped” last week and went dark, I got a 55 inches Hisense 4K LED from Costco for $269!?

Still have a 42 inch Pany THU plasma from 2006 in my basement.

Re: Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:51 pm
by iamlucky13
stats99 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:30 pm My 10 year old Panasonic Viera 55 inches “popped” last week and went dark, I got a 55 inches Hisense 4K LED from Costco for $269!?

Still have a 42 inch Pany THU plasma from 2006 in my basement.
Consumer electronics pricing blows my mind if I think about it too much. Economy of scale, automated manufacturing, and access to cheap labor do crazy things to economics.

I work on mostly very small production quantity projects. I can barely even get a 55" sheet of plastic custom-cut into a TV-like shape for $269, much less allow for reasonable retail margin.

Re: Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:41 pm
by adamthesmythe
iamlucky13 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:51 pm
stats99 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:30 pm My 10 year old Panasonic Viera 55 inches “popped” last week and went dark, I got a 55 inches Hisense 4K LED from Costco for $269!?

Still have a 42 inch Pany THU plasma from 2006 in my basement.
Consumer electronics pricing blows my mind if I think about it too much. Economy of scale, automated manufacturing, and access to cheap labor do crazy things to economics.

I work on mostly very small production quantity projects. I can barely even get a 55" sheet of plastic custom-cut into a TV-like shape for $269, much less allow for reasonable retail margin.
Mass production is amazing. Microelectronics is amazing. Almost no one appreciates how amazing they are.

Re: Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:57 pm
by brennok
Still have my Panny 58V10 which was moved to my bedroom when Plasmas were going away. I then bought a Samsung 65" 8500 series to replace it. Both still going strong so I have yet to even think of replacing and haven't felt the need yet for 70 or 80".

Re: Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:38 pm
by ncbill
iamlucky13 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:51 pm
stats99 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:30 pm My 10 year old Panasonic Viera 55 inches “popped” last week and went dark, I got a 55 inches Hisense 4K LED from Costco for $269!?

Still have a 42 inch Pany THU plasma from 2006 in my basement.
Consumer electronics pricing blows my mind if I think about it too much. Economy of scale, automated manufacturing, and access to cheap labor do crazy things to economics.

I work on mostly very small production quantity projects. I can barely even get a 55" sheet of plastic custom-cut into a TV-like shape for $269, much less allow for reasonable retail margin.
Any cheaper & HDTVs will come as prizes in cereal boxes...

Re: Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:47 pm
by nick evets
bugleheadd wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:50 am i still have my 10 year old samsung 720p plasma working fine, so i will keep it until it breaks. maybe we'll have 8k or higher TVs by then
I also have a 10 year-old(at the time, GIANT) 63" industrial Panasonic plasma display: no tuner, no internal speakers, ordered from specialized dealer in Washington State, on a recommendation from the AVS forums.

It's sadly constrained to our exercise room streaming Les Mills, etc, but the other night, my wife and I were frustrated watching "Sisters Brothers" on our downstairs TV - a 65" LG something-or-other. It's recent and very sharp. Detail in the dark areas was simply not visible.

Went upstairs to the Panasonic, and there's a noticeable softness, but the picture was still significantly nicer and more natural.

Re: Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:46 pm
by rockstar
Just get an OLED. Plasma hasn't been around for a very, very long time.