Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Figuring_it_out

Re: Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Post by Figuring_it_out »

Not looking to give them away. Even if I sold them, you can get a 60" TV from walmart for $300.

How much do you think I can get for my big heavy dusty 12 year old 58" heat maker that might die tomorrow? ~$100. The tight wad in me refuses to sell my $3000 TV for a mere $100. :) yes I know....hold your logical argument why I'm thinking about this wrong. :)
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

Figuring_it_out wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:55 pm Not looking to give them away. Even if I sold them, you can get a 60" TV from walmart for $300.

How much do you think I can get for my big heavy dusty 12 year old 58" heat maker that might die tomorrow? ~$100. The tight wad in me refuses to sell my $3000 TV for a mere $100. :) yes I know....hold your logical argument why I'm thinking about this wrong. :)
I had to smile with your post. You are probably thinking like me - I'n not going to let someone else enjoy my depreciation value, I'll keep it until it dies! I agree that it's not logical, but this system works! :mrgreen:
It is not about how much you make, it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

Like a trip down memory lane. We loved our Panasonic plasma. Still remember the looks on the neighbor's faces when they saw the picture quality during our first Super Bowl party. Even when the fireplace was on, people congregated in front of the TV due to the heat it gave off.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

I have 10 and 8 year old Panasonic plasmas. Both are working great and the pictures on them are excellent.
Rex66

Post by Rex66 »

i still have one
its nice in a dark room but as others have mentioned oled is frankly superior. i wouldnt bother fixing a broken plasma.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

criticalmass wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:20 pm
goos_news wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:38 pm Perhaps only on bogleheads do we find so may people talking about their plasma tvs in 2020. We are frugal (and yes, I posted earlier about having my Panasonic still) :beer :moneybag
Sure you might save by avoiding new capex, but those 500+ 110 watt electricity guzzling plasma tvs are certainly not friendly to the opex budget if they are used much.
Let me adjust that energy figure for you. :beer

As I noted further upthread, not all plasma TV's are energy hogs. Even for those that are, it seems like 300W is more typical.

If you leave it on all the time like my neighbors (not joking - if I wake up at 3 AM and their living room window is not flashing, it startles me because it is so unusual), that will definitely add up, but if your usage is more like a movie or a couple shows in the evening (2 hours), the difference ends up being in the ballpark of $20 per year for a typical 60" plasma compared to a typical 60" OLED.
Figuring_it_out wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:55 pm Not looking to give them away. Even if I sold them, you can get a 60" TV from walmart for $300.

How much do you think I can get for my big heavy dusty 12 year old 58" heat maker that might die tomorrow? ~$100. The tight wad in me refuses to sell my $3000 TV for a mere $100. :) yes I know....hold your logical argument why I'm thinking about this wrong.
A $300 LCD TV won't compare to a plasma screen, as I'm reminded every time I stay in an VRBO/ Air BnB.

Resale price is heavily affected by whether the model you have is popular with those who want to stick with plasma. It seems like less popular, medium-sized plasma TV's go for $50-100, while decent, large plasma TV's tend to go for $200-300, but the models with the best reputations can go for much more. See this completed Ebay listing, for example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-Vier ... Sw8~Zfuw39

For any size, shipping can bite either an unaware buyer or seller. It seems like a lot of ebay listings are listed local pickup.
hnd

Post by hnd »

I have a 60" LG Plasma a local community college was giving away. Its in the basement for the kids...on a stand but chained to the ceiling joists.

I also have a 46" Panasonic V series plasma in the garage. it was our main tv, but there was a deal on a TCL 65" i couldn't say no to last year.

i used to be a self perceived audio/video-phile who would like to talk about the amazing backlighting of the plasma and the crisp sound of my Mcintosh amplifier but that care has left me.
Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB »

We also have a Samsung plasma TV, probably about 10 years old, great picture.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Panasonic to finally bring their OLED line up to the U.S.!

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/panasoni ... ound-sound
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
walks a lot

Post by walks a lot »

I have a Panasonic Plasma I bought so many years ago I forget how old it is. I love it, love it, love it. One of the best purchases I ever made. When it gives up the ghost, I figure I'll have to buy a non-plasma. I haven't had any experience with non-plasma, so I don't know if it will work out better or worse.
Zeppcoustic

Post by Zeppcoustic »

Bought a 65" Panasonic P-65S60 plasma on Amazon in 2013 for $1400. Amazing value and performance. Still going strong. :beer
stats99

Post by stats99 »

My 10 year old Panasonic Viera 55 inches “popped” last week and went dark, I got a 55 inches Hisense 4K LED from Costco for $269!?

Still have a 42 inch Pany THU plasma from 2006 in my basement.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

stats99 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:30 pm My 10 year old Panasonic Viera 55 inches “popped” last week and went dark, I got a 55 inches Hisense 4K LED from Costco for $269!?

Consumer electronics pricing blows my mind if I think about it too much. Economy of scale, automated manufacturing, and access to cheap labor do crazy things to economics.

I work on mostly very small production quantity projects. I can barely even get a 55" sheet of plastic custom-cut into a TV-like shape for $269, much less allow for reasonable retail margin.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

iamlucky13 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:51 pm
stats99 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:30 pm My 10 year old Panasonic Viera 55 inches “popped” last week and went dark, I got a 55 inches Hisense 4K LED from Costco for $269!?

Consumer electronics pricing blows my mind if I think about it too much. Economy of scale, automated manufacturing, and access to cheap labor do crazy things to economics.

I work on mostly very small production quantity projects. I can barely even get a 55" sheet of plastic custom-cut into a TV-like shape for $269, much less allow for reasonable retail margin.
Mass production is amazing. Microelectronics is amazing. Almost no one appreciates how amazing they are.
brennok

Post by brennok »

Still have my Panny 58V10 which was moved to my bedroom when Plasmas were going away. I then bought a Samsung 65" 8500 series to replace it. Both still going strong so I have yet to even think of replacing and haven't felt the need yet for 70 or 80".
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

iamlucky13 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:51 pm

Any cheaper & HDTVs will come as prizes in cereal boxes...
nick evets

Post by nick evets »

bugleheadd wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:50 am i still have my 10 year old samsung 720p plasma working fine, so i will keep it until it breaks. maybe we'll have 8k or higher TVs by then
I also have a 10 year-old(at the time, GIANT) 63" industrial Panasonic plasma display: no tuner, no internal speakers, ordered from specialized dealer in Washington State, on a recommendation from the AVS forums.

It's sadly constrained to our exercise room streaming Les Mills, etc, but the other night, my wife and I were frustrated watching "Sisters Brothers" on our downstairs TV - a 65" LG something-or-other. It's recent and very sharp. Detail in the dark areas was simply not visible.

Went upstairs to the Panasonic, and there's a noticeable softness, but the picture was still significantly nicer and more natural.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Just get an OLED. Plasma hasn't been around for a very, very long time.