Scammed by Enterprise Car Rental

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
alwayshedge

Scammed by Enterprise Car Rental

Post by alwayshedge »

I was involved in a car accident about a month ago. I swerved to miss some debris in the road, lost control, and went straight into the guard rail. My car was in the shop for about a month and my insurance company gave me a stipend of $15 a day for a rental. They told me to go to Enterprise as I can get a special rate with my auto policy. The rep at Enterprise was helpful and quoted me a rate of $31/day. I asked if that is the special insurance company rate and she said yes. She had me sign one of those digital pads and said I would receive an email with a pdf of everything. So I receive the email later that day and I notice that there is an additional 12.99 daily charge for something called 'DW' which after googling, I found out is a damage insurance that they sell. I call the branch up and ask the lady why I wasn't disclosed this. She told me that that is a requirement to get the special insurance rate I had received. I thought this was strange but took her at her word. 36 days later when my car was ready, I met with my claims adjuster. He asked me why I selected the extra insurance on the auto as that is unnecessary. I told him that the branch rep had told me its a requirement to get the special insurance rate and he laughed and tells me I got taken. I spoke with the branch about this and they are not helping and refuse to give me a refund. They said I signed for it when I signed the pad. But when you sign the pad, you don't even see what you're signing for. I have called corporate with no luck either. Just a "We'll look into it for you" response. Does anyone have any suggestions on what can be done here? It's crazy to think I got scammed of roughly $500 from a large company like this.
Jack FFR1846

Re: Scammed by Enterprise Car Rental

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

-Your state insurance commissioner
-Your state attorney General

If you were in my state (Mass), the above would absolutely get you your money back.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Can you file a chargeback on your CC?
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

I believe many of the rental car counter folks are evaluated in part by how many insurance contracts they can sell. All the little extras- gas, CDW, GPS units, toll units, etc. are where most rental companies make their profits. Some less scrupulous ones may lie to make the sale. The problem with escalating it is that the agent may deny having told you the insurance was required for the lower rate- and there's no record of your conversation.

First rule when renting the car: the answer to everything is "NO." Also, never assume a "special" rate being offered is anything special without checking prices online first.
MP123

Post by MP123 »

barnaclebob wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:00 pm Can you file a chargeback on your CC?
This would be a good way to start at least.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

If I were you I would:
1- Email/mail them that I would take a legal action about this unless they solve it, and give them like 30 days period (a legal action could be something little like a consumer bureau complain: https://www.ftc.gov/about-ftc/bureaus-o ... protection) But don't disclose this, leave it vague at "legal action" :twisted:
2- Send another BBB.org complain
3- Give a couple of bad reviews on google and yelp

I am not sure if these complains will do anything or not since you did signed! I am not judging but I learnt to never sign something on the spot, or at least skimming through the lines with my eyes and trying to catch any numerical values specially those with $ sign and % sign.

Be careful with CC charging back, if you signed a contract they may send you a bill later if you charged back, or send it to a collection.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Topic Author
alwayshedge

Post by alwayshedge »

alfaspider wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:00 pm I believe many of the rental car counter folks are evaluated in part by how many insurance contracts they can sell. All the little extras- gas, CDW, GPS units, toll units, etc. are where most rental companies make their profits. Some less scrupulous ones may lie to make the sale. The problem with escalating it is that the agent may deny having told you the insurance was required for the lower rate- and there's no record of your conversation.

First rule when renting the car: the answer to everything is "NO." Also, never assume a "special" rate being offered is anything special without checking prices online first.
It's tough to say no though when you aren't even asked. That is why I am so upset about this.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

Rental car companies often operate in a sleazy manner. I would insist on signing only a paper contract that makes all the costs clear.
texaspapas

Post by texaspapas »

I have nothing to add to this except that my experience with rental car companies has always been neutral to very, very bad. I try to avoid them whenever possible. Texas, in particular, seems bad for the "add on" type fees.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

alwayshedge wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:55 pmShe had me sign one of those digital pads and said I would receive an email with a pdf of everything.
I'm sure you've learned your lesson, but don't do that anymore. Don't sign anything that you haven't read first. Did you stop and think..."what if I get the "pdf of everything" and I don't agree, what then?"
jadd806

Post by jadd806 »

alwayshedge wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:06 pm It's tough to say no though when you aren't even asked. That is why I am so upset about this.
Look at the copy of your rental agreement. I guarantee you initialed a block saying "Renter accepts damage waiver at an additional fee shown to the right." The block next to it would have been to decline the extra coverage.

Read the fine print. I'm not sure what recourse you have, since they have a signed contract where you agreed to the additional coverage and corresponding fees.
chevca

Post by chevca »

That stinks!

But, I'd probably chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on. I wouldn't find the fight and aggravation worth the $$ back. Anytime you rent a car, even in this circumstance, one of the first things to say is you don't want the extra insurance. They will always try to sell that. And as said, read everything before signing. Next time you will know.

Or, just don't hit guard rails. :happy
ved

Post by ved »

alwayshedge wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:55 pm I was involved in a car accident about a month ago. I swerved to miss some debris in the road, lost control, and went straight into the guard rail. My car was in the shop for about a month and my insurance company gave me a stipend of $15 a day for a rental. They told me to go to Enterprise as I can get a special rate with my auto policy. The rep at Enterprise was helpful and quoted me a rate of $31/day. I asked if that is the special insurance company rate and she said yes. She had me sign one of those digital pads and said I would receive an email with a pdf of everything. So I receive the email later that day and I notice that there is an additional 12.99 daily charge for something called 'DW' which after googling, I found out is a damage insurance that they sell. I call the branch up and ask the lady why I wasn't disclosed this. She told me that that is a requirement to get the special insurance rate I had received. I thought this was strange but took her at her word. 36 days later when my car was ready, I met with my claims adjuster. He asked me why I selected the extra insurance on the auto as that is unnecessary. I told him that the branch rep had told me its a requirement to get the special insurance rate and he laughed and tells me I got taken. I spoke with the branch about this and they are not helping and refuse to give me a refund. They said I signed for it when I signed the pad. But when you sign the pad, you don't even see what you're signing for. I have called corporate with no luck either. Just a "We'll look into it for you" response. Does anyone have any suggestions on what can be done here? It's crazy to think I got scammed of roughly $500 from a large company like this.
Sorry, this will sound harsh.

Why did you take her word for it? You should have asked what the regular rate was without the DW.
You should have called your insurance company and asked if this was true.
Or, you should have read the pdf to see if it said anything about DW was required.

You knew for 30 days that you were paying the DW every day. You could have done at least one of the above things at any time during those 30 days.

Chalk it up to lesson learned.
goodlifer

Post by goodlifer »

I don't know why your insurance agent didn't set up the rental. I had to get a rental through Enterprise while they were fixing damage to my husband's car. State Farm set up the appointment and Enterprise called me to confirm. I don't even know how much the rental was. But Enterprise was hard to deal with. They forgot to pick me up, the car had bird poop all over it, and 1/2 a tank of gas. It was even the wrong class of car. We were supposed to get a medium sized car and the car they gave us didn't even fit the 4 of us. Of course, they wouldn't do anything. I avoid Enterprise when I am renting for myself, even if they are the cheapest.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

alwayshedge wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:55 pm The rep at Enterprise was helpful and quoted me a rate of $31/day. I asked if that is the special insurance company rate and she said yes.
She played you, sorry. A base rate of $31 seems very expensive for a special (depending on the car, obviously), and I have never heard of a "special insurance company rate" anyway. Very shady. But buyer beware. You signed something without reading it.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

Yea Enterprise are sharks. They once got me with some sort of gas coverage program (I was tired from my flight and they confused the heck out of me) fortunately I was on a interview and had all that paid for by the company.

Just say no to everything and if they still hassle you tell them get me my car or I bolt.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I would push back harder.

Don't give up too easily.

Email the corporate office, not the local branch, with specific details of your interaction with the branch. Let them know you feel that the branch was misleading and you expect a refund.

You could pursue a credit card charge back, but it may not be fruitful. Doesn't hurt to try!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Topic Author
alwayshedge

Post by alwayshedge »

StevieG72 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:40 pm I would push back harder.

Email the corporate office, not the local branch, with specific details of your interaction with the branch. Let them know you feel that the branch was misleading and you expect a refund.

You could pursue a credit card charge back, but it may not be fruitful. Doesn't hurt to try!
Thanks. I tried this just now and the corporate office was actually extremely helpful. The lady on the phone even told me this particular branch has had issues with that in the past and they are working to crack down on this type of deceptive selling. She said I should expect a full refund and the regional manager will be contacting me to arrange this. Never hurts to complain I guess!
chevca

Post by chevca »

Oh, that's good to hear! It was worth the hassle then, congrats!
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Ok, you knew about the charges that day and you accepted them. You have a receipt where you admit you knew and accepted the rate. You are upset that Enterprise salesperson got you to sign up for extra services that you didn't need. For 36 days you had a rental car with this insurance. You had 36 days to go to another company, or question the rate.

If you had gotten into an accident with the rental car in the last 36 days would you have said "Oh, I wasn't supposed to have that insurance - I asked to not have it. Please bill me for the accident because I want to do the right thing."

I am surprised Enterprise is giving you a refund.
Rashen

Post by Rashen »

side note... your insurance policy only provides $15/day rental coverage?
it's time to update it to reflect the true cost of renting a car. the whole rider costs like $30-50 a year.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Nate79 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:42 pm Ok, you knew about the charges that day and you accepted them. You have a receipt where you admit you knew and accepted the rate. You are upset that Enterprise salesperson got you to sign up for extra services that you didn't need. For 36 days you had a rental car with this insurance. You had 36 days to go to another company, or question the rate.

If you had gotten into an accident with the rental car in the last 36 days would you have said "Oh, I wasn't supposed to have that insurance - I asked to not have it. Please bill me for the accident because I want to do the right thing."

He was lied to. He should have pushed it harder up front maybe, but can't sympathize with the car rental companies. They sometimes do a really really hard sell on the waiver. Heck, I have CSR card, they still push it and make it sound like you are taking a huge risk by not taking the insurance. Kind of like the folks pushing extended warranties on stuff at electronics stores, I think they make a large commission on it.
Topic Author
alwayshedge

Post by alwayshedge »

Nate79 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:42 pm Ok, you knew about the charges that day and you accepted them. You have a receipt where you admit you knew and accepted the rate. You are upset that Enterprise salesperson got you to sign up for extra services that you didn't need. For 36 days you had a rental car with this insurance. You had 36 days to go to another company, or question the rate.

No because the whole point of the Geico rate is because Geico covers the rental car while you have it so there is no need for any extra insurance. I did question it multiple times and I was lied to and told that the extra insurance is mandatory to receive the Geico rate. I found this out after the fact. It was deceptive selling hence why they are giving me a refund.
Last edited by alwayshedge on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
alwayshedge

Post by alwayshedge »

Da5id wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:20 pm

He was lied to. He should have pushed it harder up front maybe, but can't sympathize with the car rental companies. They sometimes do a really really hard sell on the waiver. Heck, I have CSR card, they still push it and make it sound like you are taking a huge risk by not taking the insurance. Kind of like the folks pushing extended warranties on stuff at electronics stores, I think they make a large commission on it.
Yes I've researched it and those extra insurance policies are pure profit for them. They pressure their sales people with quotas to meet so it makes sense why they use deceptive tactics to sell them. I'm sick and tired of these companies getting away with this crap. Atleast Wells Fargo got some heat but it seems to be way too common.
IMO

Post by IMO »

StevieG72 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:40 pm
Thanks. I tried this just now and the corporate office was actually extremely helpful. The lady on the phone even told me this particular branch has had issues with that in the past and they are working to crack down on this type of deceptive selling. She said I should expect a full refund and the regional manager will be contacting me to arrange this. Never hurts to complain I guess!
OP, maybe you should change the title of your thread.

Every rental car agency I've ever been to asks if I'm going to pay extra or decline the additional coverage. As other's mention, then you have to initial on the contract. BUT, I believe you, there obviously was some misunderstanding on your part or how it was presented to you concerning your rental. I believe at all rental counters, agents are trained to try to upsell as many add-ons to your rental. No matter which company I've used, some persist more than others.

The reason I suggest changing your thread title is it's quite disparaging to that company overall. Enterprise took the high road for you and rescinded the charges. They could have legally declined as you signed the contract.

I've found Enterprise to be one of the better rental agencies. People seem to single out Enterprise? They've been on of the lower end of the continuum for pressuring upgrades with the many rental companies I've used. Who else will pick you up? They are also one of the companies that doesn't charge an additional driver fee for your spouse to drive the car.

But I can hardly say any specific rental agency has been vastly superior to any others in my experience, but YMMV.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

alwayshedge wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:40 pm

No because the whole point of the Geico rate is because Geico covers the rental car while you have it so there is no need for any extra insurance. I did question it multiple times and I was lied to and told that the extra insurance is mandatory to receive the Geico rate. I found this out after the fact. It was deceptive selling hence why they are giving me a refund.
I don't think there is anything special about having a rental car being reimbursed by your insurance company and the need for rental car damage insurance. If you are in an accident while driving the rental car you will need to place a claim with your insurance company anyways - just as if you went out and rented a rental car on your own. Geico is reimbursing the cost of the rental car - Geico is not covering the rental car. The rental car is not in their name but in yours and it is under your insurance plan.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

The times I’ve used rental cars through my insurance I’ve never had to pay the bill. My insurance arranges the rental, decline all of the insurances, and take the car. They also make you sign 5-10 times saying you decline a variety of insurances.

I would investigate not only Enterprise but I would also look for a new insurance company.
Topic Author
alwayshedge

Post by alwayshedge »

IMO wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:10 pm
StevieG72 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:40 pm
OP, maybe you should change the title of your thread.

Every rental car agency I've ever been to asks if I'm going to pay extra or decline the additional coverage. As other's mention, then you have to initial on the contract. BUT, I believe you, there obviously was some misunderstanding on your part or how it was presented to you concerning your rental. I believe at all rental counters, agents are trained to try to upsell as many add-ons to your rental. No matter which company I've used, some persist more than others.

The reason I suggest changing your thread title is it's quite disparaging to that company overall. Enterprise took the high road for you and rescinded the charges. They could have legally declined as you signed the contract.

I've found Enterprise to be one of the better rental agencies. People seem to single out Enterprise? They've been on of the lower end of the continuum for pressuring upgrades with the many rental companies I've used. Who else will pick you up? They are also one of the companies that doesn't charge an additional driver fee for your spouse to drive the car.

But I can hardly say any specific rental agency has been vastly superior to any others in my experience, but YMMV.
The company representative lied to me and said that to receive the Geico rate, the extra insurance is mandatory. Otherwise the regular rate would be much higher. I found that out to be false and a clear lie. That stinks of a scam to me.
Daisy Dog

Post by Daisy Dog »

Enterprise scammed me too. A couple of years ago I rented a car and later when I checked the receipt and I got looking at the details, I noticed they had changed the ending mileage - adding at least 100 more miles than I knew I had driven.! I can't remember now if I called them out on it, but I have never rented from them again.

Daisy Dog.
IMO

Post by IMO »

Nate79 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:24 pm
alwayshedge wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:40 pm

I don't think there is anything special about having a rental car being reimbursed by your insurance company and the need for rental car damage insurance. If you are in an accident while driving the rental car you will need to place a claim with your insurance company anyways - just as if you went out and rented a rental car on your own. Geico is reimbursing the cost of the rental car - Geico is not covering the rental car. The rental car is not in their name but in yours and it is under your insurance plan.
Never thought about this topic too much until responded to thread.
But took all of 2 seconds to find GEICO's official policy on their website:

What is Rental Reimbursement?

Rental Reimbursement* is an optional coverage that helps pay your rental car costs while your car is being repaired as a result of a covered claim.

You can generally keep the rental car until your damaged vehicle is back on the road or until your coverage limit runs out, whichever comes first. If your vehicle is a total loss, the amount of authorized rental time will be limited, so you should begin shopping for a replacement as soon as you learn your vehicle is a total loss.

What is covered?
Rental reimbursement coverage may be subject to a daily and per claim limit.

For example, if you have $25 per day/$750 per claim rental reimbursement limits, GEICO will pay up to $25 per day but no more than $750 per claim for your rental vehicle.

If you choose to use Enterprise Rent-A-Car®, GEICO will be billed directly for your rental car.

You have a right to use any rental provider or location you choose. If you choose another rental provider you may have to pay the cost upfront and we will reimburse you up to the limits of your rental reimbursement coverage. Ask the rental company if direct billing is available. In all cases you may be subject to providing a credit card to meet the rental company's security deposit requirement.

What is not covered?
Rental Reimbursement does not cover the costs of gas, mileage or additional coverage, or any security deposit required by the rental company.

Most rental car providers will ask you to purchase additional insurance from them to cover the rental car. Keep in mind, if you have comprehensive and collision coverage on your GEICO policy, they will usually transfer to your rental car while your vehicle's accident damage is being repaired. You should decide for yourself if you want to purchase insurance coverage from the rental provider. Your GEICO liability examiner can provide more information and assist you with this decision.

In most states, you can rent a car of a comparable size to your own vehicle. However, if the daily rate of your rental car is more than your daily limit, you will have to pay the difference. Also, if your vehicle repairs are going to take several weeks, you may want to rent a car with a lower daily rate so your rental reimbursement limit will last longer."

So that's a good baseline on rental car coverage, will have to see what my insurance has if ever needed.

Edit: This is what USAA's (my insurance) site says in the small print: "Pays for a rental vehicle while yours is being repaired." Couldn't find any further small print, but given the above, will look further to be safe.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

IMO wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:27 pm

Never thought about this topic too much until responded to thread.
But took all of 2 seconds to find GEICO's official policy on their website:

What is Rental Reimbursement?

Rental Reimbursement* is an optional coverage that helps pay your rental car costs while your car is being repaired as a result of a covered claim.

You can generally keep the rental car until your damaged vehicle is back on the road or until your coverage limit runs out, whichever comes first. If your vehicle is a total loss, the amount of authorized rental time will be limited, so you should begin shopping for a replacement as soon as you learn your vehicle is a total loss.

What is covered?
Rental reimbursement coverage may be subject to a daily and per claim limit.

For example, if you have $25 per day/$750 per claim rental reimbursement limits, GEICO will pay up to $25 per day but no more than $750 per claim for your rental vehicle.

If you choose to use Enterprise Rent-A-Car®, GEICO will be billed directly for your rental car.

You have a right to use any rental provider or location you choose. If you choose another rental provider you may have to pay the cost upfront and we will reimburse you up to the limits of your rental reimbursement coverage. Ask the rental company if direct billing is available. In all cases you may be subject to providing a credit card to meet the rental company's security deposit requirement.

What is not covered?
Rental Reimbursement does not cover the costs of gas, mileage or additional coverage, or any security deposit required by the rental company.

Most rental car providers will ask you to purchase additional insurance from them to cover the rental car. Keep in mind, if you have comprehensive and collision coverage on your GEICO policy, they will usually transfer to your rental car while your vehicle's accident damage is being repaired. You should decide for yourself if you want to purchase insurance coverage from the rental provider. Your GEICO liability examiner can provide more information and assist you with this decision.

In most states, you can rent a car of a comparable size to your own vehicle. However, if the daily rate of your rental car is more than your daily limit, you will have to pay the difference. Also, if your vehicle repairs are going to take several weeks, you may want to rent a car with a lower daily rate so your rental reimbursement limit will last longer."

So that's a good baseline on rental car coverage, will have to see what my insurance has if ever needed.

Edit: This is what USAA's (my insurance) site says in the small print: "Pays for a rental vehicle while yours is being repaired." Couldn't find any further small print, but given the above, will look further to be safe.
Good summary of GEICO's "policy" - I believe USAA lets you pick the type of rental car coverage when the policy is issued (compact, economy, standard, SUV etc) and charges accordingly. As I remember, coverage for a Standard car costs $39 for a 6 month policy term per covered vehicle. (If you insure two cars and want RR on both, that would be $78 for 6 months). It should be spiked out on the DEC page
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Enterprise is the absolute worst at these types of pesky almost scammy things. Wait for a bill for scratches that were on the car beforehand. I rent from National and, while they are owned by the same company, find they have treated me well -- this over hundreds over rentals.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

8foot7 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:09 am Enterprise is the absolute worst at these types of pesky almost scammy things. Wait for a bill for scratches that were on the car beforehand.
Interesting, we got dinged for $300 for a 1.5" scratch that we didn't think we added on an Enterprise rental that was also for a repair. Haven't dealt with Enterprise since. Since then I always inspect a car really carefully and rigorously report everything I see :)
vabrd1

Post by vabrd1 »

jadd806 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:45 pm
alwayshedge wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:06 pm It's tough to say no though when you aren't even asked. That is why I am so upset about this.
Look at the copy of your rental agreement. I guarantee you initialed a block saying "Renter accepts damage waiver at an additional fee shown to the right." The block next to it would have been to decline the extra coverage.

Read the fine print. I'm not sure what recourse you have, since they have a signed contract where you agreed to the additional coverage and corresponding fees.
I don't rent anymore. I take Uber or Lyft.
GottaGetThisGoing

Post by GottaGetThisGoing »

If this were me, I'd sue them in small claims court. I'd explain that I did not agree to it. That it was not discussed, I did not read it, and I signed a blank computer panel.

I'd tell the truth and I'd expect the small claims court judge to give me the money.

More than likely, the company would just send you the money. Because they have to send a lawyer as a corporation, and you don't.

But, that's just what I would do.
LK2012

Post by LK2012 »

alwayshedge wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:37 pm
StevieG72 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:40 pm I would push back harder.

That is great news, congratulations! I hope it works out.

I rented a car from Enterprise for an extended period of time, and I had to renew the rental monthly. (Don't even ask why). I started joking about it, like, "I'm going to renew the rental and play 'Name Your Price.'" Every time I'd go in to pay for a month and renew, they would quote me a different price. I would just calmly explain (again) each time what the fee was that we had agreed to in the beginning - except for the time they figured out it should actually be way cheaper, and then I just went with that through the end! I had a tall sheaf of past receipts that I'd bring in every time.

It would literally go like this every time, "That will be $XXX," and I'd say, "Oh, no, no, no. That's way too much, actually it should be $YYY." They would fiddle and fiddle for a while, and then come up with $YYY too. And that would be that.

Finally, after a few months, it started to go smoothly. I could never be sure whether this was a product of an antiquated computer system (they used a dot matrix printer), or a built-in scam. But otherwise, they were very easy to deal with, and I really found it very convenient.