How Do You Stay Current With Music?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

How Do You Stay Current With Music?

Post by Small Law Survivor » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:28 am

NOTE: post initially titled "How do you stay current with popular music" "Popular" deleted. All music qualifies - rock, jazz, blues, folk, americana, country, classical and more ....

When I was a kid in the '60s, I thought it was pretty funny that my parents listened to Frank Sinatra, and couldn't care less about the rock music of the '60s.

Now, most of my friends are still stuck in the '60s/'70s, and I am too.

I'd like to stay current with rock, blues, folk and jazz, but there is so much music, and I don't have a community of musicians to sit around and listen to music with, and have influence me.

I can only listen to Dark Side of the Moon so many times ....

How do you get exposure to new music, but filter out the junk?
Last edited by Small Law Survivor on Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
68 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan: 4% WR until age 70, 3% after social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard before that) under various other names

marti038

Re: How Do You Stay Current With Popular Music?

Post by marti038 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:30 am

I would hardly consider myself "current" when it comes to music, but Pandora drops a new one on me every once in a while that will turn me on to a new artist or album.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:31 am

Radio
If something catches my interest I'll look up the artist.

I listen to the radio on occasion while working.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:31 am

Listen to the music during the annual award shows on television. Identify artists whom produce music that appeals to your tastes. Go onto Amazon and listen to clips of songs until you find the ones that you like and purchase.

Also, iTunes and other software music packages will often make new suggestions based off of what you like.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:34 am

I use Pandora stations and note some things I like and then often try the albums on Spotify. In fact, I have hundreds (over 1,000?) vinyl and many CDs that I need to get rid of some time to clear out my den. I just need to find a good home for them as I never use them anymore.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:34 am

We have a family subscription to Apple Music.

To stay "current", I go to the New music landing page and listen to some of the "Hot Tracks". You can also browse the Charts for genres you like or maybe don't but want to keep up.

The other day, a co-worker was going to be taking his daughter to a Halsey concert. He asked about a dozen co-workers if they knew who Halsey was. None of them had a clue. These were people from 25 to 45 years in age. He asked me. I knew of her music and had listened to her album. :D

I'm not hip, but there is always some good music in the new stuff, mixed in with a bunch of junk. That doesn't change.

I do still use Pandora. I was an early adopter and have dozens of stations and 10,000+ "thumbs up" ratings. I can shuffle my stations and get a near perfect mix of all the artists I like. They do toss in new/interesting songs and artists based on your listening and ratings.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:35 am

New music? I'd prefer to just remain comfortably numb to it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:38 am

Did Mozart write another opera recently?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:40 am

Well you really can't filter the junk to much.

Pandora and Spotify have random settings. You create a channel of a band you like and then they add random songs sort of like that band into the mix.

"Alternative rock" channels on the radio is good for new music as well.

Funny enough I tend to send new music to my 17 year old son more than he does me but I'm pretty much a audiophile.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:43 am

Think I read somewhere that for the average person, our musical tastes gets set at age 33, after which point we no longer actively seek new music, just variations of the things we love.

Spotify, the music subscription service, more or less verified this fact in the book Hitmakers.

I'm on Spotify and their “Discover Weekly” playlist is my primary means of discovering new music but they also intentionally mix in about 40% music that I've heard before but are not actively on my heavy rotation.

If I'm out and about and hear something catchy, I'll use the app Shazam to identify the track and bookmark it for later listening.

Before that I had satellite radio that kept me current, prior to that I would actively read music magazines and websites like Pitchfork.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:44 am

Baroque, Cello Concertos, Oldies, Sinatra. . . . Michael Buble' . . Harry Connick Jr.. . .
Dependable content. . . drama free. . . .
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:45 am

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:28 am
I don't unless my kids are home. The rule is: Whoever is driving gets to control the music in the car.

Both npr.org and nytimes.com try hard to introduce me to new music. I'm not listening.
Last edited by livesoft on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:45 am

I watch American Music awards show every year to keep up with new artists.

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:46 am

Spotify
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:46 am

The Grammy nominations came out today. But with 5+ nominees in about 100 categories it can be a bit overwhelming, especially if you can't differentiate among the top acts. Sometimes it might be a revelation to see that your go-to "classic" artist released an album last year.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:48 am

Spotify.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:48 am

It helps to live in Nashville--even for those of us who aren't country music fans. (Probably similar options in many locations though)

Local adult alt. radio station focuses on new music, and particularly on "local" music--which covers a broad selection given the musicians who move here.

Now that we are retired, when we are in town we can take advantage of many bars/small_venues with $10, sometimes $20 (sometimes free) live acts nearly any night of the week. Even better, the radio station has free intimate events to which you can get tickets via twitter or old-school "ninth caller" lottery....

Granted, this gives us only a small slice of "popular" music (no hip_hop/rap, CW, or true Pop), but works out well for us.

E.T.A.--this also has expanded our tastes. Never would have thought that bluegrass would be our cup of tea....
Edit Signature

Bungo

Post by Bungo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:50 am

Current popular music is junk. Get off my lawn. :D

If I want to listen to modern music (not necessarily popular) I find that there are a handful of real radio stations such as KCRW ( http://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/eclectic24 ) which do a much better job playing things i like, compared with Pandora or Spotify. Better yet, Radio Paradise ( https://www.radioparadise.com/rp_2.php?# ) plays a wide and interesting variety of old and new music, and it's sort of a hybrid between radio and Pandora-style streams: the music selection is curated by humans, but (on the phone app, at least) you get your own stream which allows you to skip tracks you don't like.

For computer-generated streams, I like Slacker better than Pandora. The latter is more repetitive after a while, and Slacker has a nice variety of preconfigured stations and even interesting DJ commentary. I seldom hear repeats. It also streams at 320kbps without ads if you pay a token monthly fee ($4, I think).

I also like Apple Music better than Spotify as an on-demand service, particularly for its huge assortment of human-curated playlists.
Last edited by Bungo on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

racy

Post by racy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:50 am

I like to play guitar along with the artists on Riffstation. It scrolls chords and shows video of artists performing the song. There is a section of "top trending songs" to stay current.
https://play.riffstation.com/

I also subscribe to SiriusXM radio. They have channels dedicated to current music, commercial-free.
Last edited by racy on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:51 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:35 am
Nice ...

Hey, I have approx. 7,000 tunes on my iTunes program on my computer. I collected that music from late '90s to a few years ago by ripping my CDs and downloading monthly from eMusic (a great service at one time). Now, I rarely listen to my iTunes collection, which I probably spent well over $1,000 collecting - I listen to Spotify, which is amazing - the celestial jukebox. the iTunes collection is gathering dust, and will eventually find its way to the grave somewhere, altho I value it for nostalgic reasons. Oh, and I've uploaded it to Amazon, so I can stream it on our Echo. But, it's probably only a matter of time before Spotify is available via Echo and similar devices.

Listening to the radio won't work for me - crap to quality ratio too high. What I really need is a service I can trust that will curate for me.
68 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan: 4% WR until age 70, 3% after social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard before that) under various other names

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:00 am

iTunes Store top singles
Freegal music site through my local library website
Radio
My kids
YouTube Music Video uploads

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:01 am

Spotify streams around me via Echo,,or echo dots in the home,,,or
Via bluetooth in the "ride". :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:08 am

Mostly from my local independent radio station. Also referrals from a couple of friends who are very into music and attend the festivals, etc., where lots of new artists play.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:10 am

Go to Metacritic and look at the top 20 albums every year.

Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:16 am

No help here regarding current music. Totally old school audiophile listening on 70's era equipment. Was locked primarily into 1957 to 1972 as a kid and remain there today at age 63. There are many new releases from old artists coming out all the time however on labels such as Ace, Kent, Teensville, Rhino, and Bear Family Records to name a few on both cd and vinyl.

IMHO those that download compressed music files off the internet for playback on any number of portable devices, computers, etc are not TRUE AUDIOPHILES..... I consider that convenience listening and today the masses are in that category. Different strokes for different folks!

Gotta run, time to hitch a ride on the way back machine.............................

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:24 am

Good question. It made me realize that I am completely stuck in music I already know.

Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:26 am

We listen to WTMD 89.7 Baltimore, often online. It's one of the few actual radio stations with human DJs among the vast wasteland of cloned commercial junk stations. Princeton NJ also has a great station.

Marylander1

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:31 am

runner3081 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:24 am
Good question. It made me realize that I am completely stuck in music I already know.
That's OK in my book. Van Morrison, Buckingham/McVie, Randy Newman, Greg Allman, Allsion Krauss, Jeff Beck have all put out good albums recently. I tend to return to the same old well.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:32 am

marti038 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:30 am
I would hardly consider myself "current" when it comes to music, but Pandora drops a new one on me every once in a while that will turn me on to a new artist or album.
+1.

KlangFool

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:38 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:35 am
Haha... We don't need no (new) education.

TravelforFun

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:39 am

If there is a community radio station in your area, try there first. Start looking on the left side of your dial. That is where great emerging artists thrive.

If not, itunes can get you access to lots of non-local community radio stations. Someone referenced KCRW eclectic, there is also "the current", KEXP, and there are many others. I like listening to radio online from places that I am planning to visit as a way to get the flavor of the place.

When I was a kid in the '60s, I thought it was pretty funny that my parents listened to Frank Sinatra, and couldn't care less about the rock music of the '60s.

I'd like to stay current with rock, blues, folk and jazz, but there is so much music, and I don't have a community of musicians to sit around and listen to music with, and have influence me.

I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

Standup

Post by Standup » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:59 am

I second the recommendations for Spotify - I have found a bunch of artists I never knew of that are now in my active listening rotation and a couple that are in my personal top 10 of all time.

Another place where I have been discovering new music is the NPR Tiny Desk concert series. A wide range of music genres performed in an intimate setting. I treasure so many of these and hope they stay online forever. You can view then here (and there is an archive too going back years, that initial page isn't all of them):

https://www.npr.org/series/tiny-desk-concerts/

TSR

Post by TSR » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:24 pm

Paste. AV Club (avclub.com). Pitchfork.

I try to read up, then go to Spotify to listen. Very rewarding. Good luck!

Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:39 pm

Standup wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:59 am
I second the recommendations for Spotify - I have found a bunch of artists I never knew of that are now in my active listening rotation and a couple that are in my personal top 10 of all time.

Another place where I have been discovering new music is the NPR Tiny Desk concert series. A wide range of music genres performed in an intimate setting. I treasure so many of these and hope they stay online forever. You can view then here (and there is an archive too going back years, that initial page isn't all of them):

https://www.npr.org/series/tiny-desk-concerts/
Yes, I'm aware of Tiny Desk - great stuff!

Have looked at Pitchfork a few times, was unaware of AV Club, thanks

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:58 pm

I don't. I listen to mostly classic rock. Other than that, my Pandora stations will pick up the slack

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:08 pm

I don’t. Anything newer than 1982 never makes it onto my playlist. I don’t miss it at all. In fact I’ve lately begun to develop a whole new appreciation for symphonic classical music.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

scotthew

Post by scotthew » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:09 pm

I totally agree with some of the other responses: the two best sources for new music are KCRW and Slacker Radio. I personally mostly ditch pop music, although I get exposure through my kids. There is far more variety of new music (and rediscovered old music) once you leave the popular/Top 40 music genre.

For a very interesting variety, you can listen to WWOZ on Tune-in. WWOZ is all over the map with it's musical genres, but it often has a New Orleans emphasis (you won't get indie rock on here, unfortunately, but plenty of blues, bluegrass, jazz, fusion, funk, etc!)

My other means is looking at who is performing at my favorite national music venues - like 9:30 club (DC), Tipitina's ( New Orleans), etc and check them on streaming stations. Likewise, I'll look at the performers at big 5 music festivals like Austin City Limits, New Orleans Jazz Festival, South By Southwest, Coachella, etc.

Finally, watching SNL is a great way to get broad exposure and see "live" performances.

Any you are never to old just to show up at a local music club and enjoy unknown acts!

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:11 pm

I am almost done with Sirius 80s on 8, getting ready to move to 90s on 9 :)

Actually, I am kidding. My 80s are like your 60s, with sprinkles of 70s here and there (Dark Side of the Moon is a good one)

I do occasionally listen to streaming FM stations and my wife somehow knows all the new stuff and who the artists are.

onourway

Post by onourway » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:13 pm

Spotify. Apple Music. Pandora. Tiny Desk Concerts. Listen to This Subreddit.

Honestly, even as huge music fans, finding new music takes work. I usually give it a bunch of effort every year or so for a few weeks, find a few new things that inevitably lead to a few more as I follow their roots, and that tides me over until I have energy for the next go-around. Between my wife and I we seem to keep enough new stuff coming in.

Finding a good radio station also helps. Probably not what's on your local dial, but fortunately you can stream them now. KCRW and KEXP are two favorites.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:55 pm

The question is why. I'm in my early 30s and have never listened to music much newer than the 90s. There's still plenty of "new to me" music made well before I was born. As for new music, the really "popular" stuff gets blasted at you in every public place whether you want it or not.

Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:59 pm

Musically I'm stuck in the 60's, 70's, 80's. It does not bother me. My falling behind in some areas of technology does bother me, but not music. When I see concerts on TV with groups that peaked in the 70's and very young people are mouthing all the words it warms my heart.

DemoEngr

Post by DemoEngr » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:03 pm

I stream radio stations as well WXPN has a variety of stations that intermingle new and old.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:04 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:55 pm
The question is why. I'm in my early 30s and have never listened to music much newer than the 90s. There's still plenty of "new to me" music made well before I was born.
Two words: Harry Chapin
:wink:
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:18 pm

Try some music podcasts. I like NPR's All Songs Considered and Tiny Desk Concerts. Both expose me to a mix of new and old musicians I have not heard of before.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

dewey

Post by dewey » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:44 pm

I listen to Sirius stations when I drive that are contemporary and alternative rock. I also shazam music everywhere I go. The new stuff I like, I then purchase on iTunes and then assemble playlists as I go. I make 3-4 new playlists a year. I then burn discs as gifts to a small circle of friends who are big fans of what I introduce them to, in the main. I grew up in the 60's and enjoy the old stuff too. But when I visit my sister and brother-in-law back east, all they listen to is 60's music. It doesn't take much time before I want to jump out a window. I don't want to be stuck in the past. I enjoy all types of music, just not all of any type.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…”

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:51 pm

I use Spotify as well but I primarily listen to music from the 1920s-1950s. Most music I listen to which is not from that period is Symphonic Classical.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

bridge

Post by bridge » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:10 pm

YouTube and Spotify.

IMO

Post by IMO » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:51 pm

Being that our cars are not typically late model cars, when songs came on the radio our radio's did not display the name of the song and who was singing the song. Thus, I'd often like a popular song and have no idea what the song was called or the artist.

What has been very helpful is youtube. It's a free way to see/hear music videos from the current popular music, and many people will make videos where they put the lyrics up which is helpful. It has the added benefit of putting a face to the voice.

I'd suggest doing a internet search of current popular music lists to start, then go to youtube to look up the song/artists. Many of the current popular songs have hit lists of BILLIONS of views (crazy).

You can even create you own playlists on youtube which is nice.

An example search: https://www.billboard.com/charts/pop-songs

FraggleRock

KVOQ

Post by FraggleRock » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:56 pm

There has not been any good music since 1970. cf. Beatles

In reality, http://www.cpr.org/openair
Last edited by FraggleRock on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:00 pm

Mainstream new pop music is mostly pretty bad IMO. There are plenty of indie artists that might appeal to you though if you search a bit. I would check local small venues around the country depending on what genre you like. Chicago - Blues. Nashville - Country. New York - Classical.