After financial independence, do you lose motivation for work?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
flyingaway

After financial independence, do you lose motivation for work?

Post by flyingaway » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:22 am

After achieving financial independence (FI), you know you have enough, do (did) you lose motivation for work?

Even several years before FI, l lost ambitions in work. After FI, I seem to lose motivation for work. I don't care about my work anymore, although there are some changes at the school that I do not like (e.g., running a state university like a corporation).

surfstar

Re: After financial independence, do you lose motivation for work?

Post by surfstar » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:50 am

I've never been motivated to work, which is why I'm going for FI :oops:

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:55 am

I am post-FI. 66 years old, trying to work as attorney part-time (very) just to keep my chops up. Doing arbitration (as arbitrator), writing articles for my firm's blog. Doing client intake on new clients, that I promptly hand off. Go to office one day a week, maybe 3 weeks a month (depending on weather), just to stay in touch and for change of scenery.

But 15 months into this I'm having a VERY! difficult time staying motivated. Often asking myself why I bother.

So, yes.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:57 am

Achieving financial independence (FI) changed my motivation for work, it became less about the rat race and more about choosing projects that interested/benefitted me and gave me the most learning opportunity and/or enjoyment. Many times these we lateral rather than upward movements which sometimes confused my bosses. Financial independence gave me the option to choose mostly based on the "what's in it for me" factor, why was huge and reduced the job stress.

I ended up early retiring and how dabble in part-time, volunteer efforts of my choice.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:00 am

Not at all for me, though FI was a goal eventually achieved. A focus on doing what was enjoyed was primary, followed by the assumption that other goals would follow. Age was a factor in losing motivation to a much greater extent, though some might say that was accompanied by a correlation with FI being achieved which would be accurate.

Tim

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:01 am

flyingaway wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:22 am
After achieving financial independence (FI), you know you have enough, do (did) you lose motivation for work?
No. But I did lose motivation to put up with bad management, worthless projects, etc. I still am motivated to work but I only do things now that mean something to me and which I enjoy doing.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:02 am

My wife, some years after FI, is still motivated to work.

Her father, many years after FI, is still motivated to work. His job is very interesting and a form of “giving back.”

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:02 am

Motivation to "work", as in going to work for the purpose of paying bills and for no other reason?
Motivation to continue one's chosen drudgery if viewed as such?
Or
Motivation to make more and more money to build one's portfolio. . . .
Motivation to make money because making money is so much fun. . . .
Or
Motivation to work as in contributing to a gratifying career that one enjoys even without pay?
Motivation to contribute through work?
Motivation to pursue personal growth through work?
Motivation to pursue something one enjoys and is gratifying. . and money is earned as a byproduct?

j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

delamer

Post by delamer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:03 am

If you are financially independent, is it a bad thing to lose your motivation to work?

You owe it to the people affected by your work (co-workers, clients, students, taxpayers, etc.) to perform your work at a satisfactory level. If you can't do that, then you should quit.

However, it is not inherently bad to not want to work anymore, although your question implies that it is.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:13 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:02 am
Motivation to "work", as in going to work for the purpose of paying bills and for no other reason?
Or
Motivation to work as in contributing to a gratifying career that one enjoys even without pay?
Motivation to pursue something one enjoys and is gratifying. . and money is earned as a byproduct?

I am going to work just to make MORE money to add some cushion to my portfolio.

WildBill

Post by WildBill » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:16 am

Howdy

I was FI many years before I retired. I never lost any motivation for working, as the work was challenging and fulfilling.

However, my threshold for tolerating corporate and colleague BS steadily declined, to about zero at age 45 and was very negative by retirement. I was not actively resistant or expressive of this intolerance: if I did not agree with or want to participate in the various forms of BS I just ignored it.

Interestingly enough, those years of decling and negative tolerance and aggressive ignorance and non compliance were also by far my most successful professionally. Go figure.

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:20 am

I've always viewed work as a necessity...it's only purpose in my life being to provide financial security and the ability to acquire things I need/want. As I approach FI, I definitely have lost motivation for work, since additional money is no longer a necessity. I'm an accountant, so my work is not providing any demonstrable value to society, and I can easily be replaced.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:40 am

No, I lost motivation to work long before FI. :D

41Fin

Post by 41Fin » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:46 am

My current motivation for working is to set up the next generations of my family.

I may or may not make it to FI before I hit the boglehead forum in the sky but I want the future of my line to be in the best possible shape.

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:47 am

I still have motivation for working.

But so far it's only on my own projects.

If someone came up with a job that was interesting, paid well, and didn't have idiotic managers to deal with, I'd consider going back to work.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:47 am

I had a boss, who talked about his boss's saying: Good employees are 2.5 times their annual salary in debt. ;)

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:53 am

WildBill wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:16 am
Howdy

I was FI many years before I retired. I never lost any motivation for working, as the work was challenging and fulfilling.

However, my threshold for tolerating corporate and colleague BS steadily declined, to about zero at age 45 and was very negative by retirement. I was not actively resistant or expressive of this intolerance: if I did not agree with or want to participate in the various forms of BS I just ignored it.

Interestingly enough, those years of decling and negative tolerance and aggressive ignorance and non compliance were also by far my most successful professionally. Go figure.

W B
This is also what I am doing now, but these will not be my most successful years. Those years were long gone.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:57 am

Not FI yet but I fully expect to be motivated to do some work. I do like being active.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:57 am

Yes for me. I'm still working full time, but being much more selective on projects I take on. I guess that makes me a bit of a pain to deal with.... But when I amworking on something I like, I am positively contributing.

I'm toying with the idea of going part time. But I really don't even need to do that (in theory).

I'm also on the fence about buying a small business. It would require me to work 2-3 months a year and woud probably cover most of our basic living costs. But again, part of me is saying, "why bother?"
BH87

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:53 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:13 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:02 am
Or

I am going to work just to make MORE money to add some cushion to my portfolio.
Good one. Needs to be on the list for sure.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:05 pm

flyingaway wrote:

Even several years before FI, l lost ambitions in work. After FI, I seem to lose motivation for work. I don't care about my work anymore, although there are some changes at the school that I do not like (e.g., running a state university like a corporation).
Which type of Financial Independence?
3 stages of Financial Independence
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=228670
Run, You Clever Boy! 8723

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:10 pm

I would say Financial Independence has made my motivation to work purer, more about the work and less about the compensation. I like what Peculiar Investor said.
Run, You Clever Boy! 8723

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:15 pm

At 46 I have 4 motivations to keep working:

1. Health coverage for our family of 5 (oldest a senior in high school, middle 14, youngest 10)
2. Filling my 401k with $18k + $9k match
3. Filling our Roth IRAs with $11k
4. Filling our HSA to $6,700 (to help with #1)

These are likely "poor" motivators in the grand scheme. The work is up and down.

Health coverage continues to be a great mystery. Fear and mystery can be enough of a motivator to keep slogging.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:37 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:05 pm
flyingaway wrote:

Which type of Financial Independence?
3 stages of Financial Independence
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=228670
I am thinking starting with the first stage of financial independence. I would not go to work at the third stage of FI.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:51 pm

I'm not quite there yet. But as I get closer and keep reducing down, I think I lose motivation to work, but not become lazy. The motivation shifts to living life to the fullest.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:25 pm

Yes, Yes, Yes
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

grettman

Post by grettman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:48 pm

surfstar wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:50 am
I've never been motivated to work, which is why I'm going for FI :oops:
+1K

retire57

Post by retire57 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:13 pm

I certainly have. I'm a semi-retired professor and teach online. Lately I think about resigning just about every day. Maybe tomorrow will be the day I do it. :|

Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:48 pm

I lost motivation when I could see retirement distant on the horizon and knew I'd be just fine financially. It is like a rounded a hill and saw no more to climb. No more promotions (I reached the top of my field); no real need for a raise each year; no need to do "extra" at work for brownie points. I am now 5 years from retirement but could bail at any time, which feels nice. When I have a bad day now I think, I may just quit!

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:32 pm

Limoncello402 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:48 pm
I lost motivation when I could see retirement distant on the horizon and knew I'd be just fine financially. It is like a rounded a hill and saw no more to climb. No more promotions (I reached the top of my field); no real need for a raise each year; no need to do "extra" at work for brownie points. I am now 5 years from retirement but could bail at any time, which feels nice. When I have a bad day now I think, I may just quit!
But it is not an easy decision to actually quit.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:33 pm

retire57 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:13 pm
I certainly have. I'm a semi-retired professor and teach online. Lately I think about resigning just about every day. Maybe tomorrow will be the day I do it. :|
I guess you cannot resign during the semester.

J295

Post by J295 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:46 pm

The principal reason I worked was to provide for my family. We reached financial independence in early 50s. Motivation to work gradually declined. On the other hand, my wife started working and she absolutely loves it.

I have plenty of other motivators other than work.

blevine

Post by blevine » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:08 pm

FI is in your mind. The richest did not get that way thinking "they have enough".

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:13 pm

Financial independence has provided me with money.
Retirement has provided me with time.
I am more motivated than ever to work on the projects I define for myself. I don't care if my projects will not bring any profits (or even revenues). I am willing to pay some limited amounts for expenses related to my projects. The key is that I do exactly what I want to do.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:24 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:13 pm
I am more motivated than ever to work on the projects I define for myself. I don't care if my projects will not bring any profits (or even revenues). I am willing to pay some limited amounts for expenses related to my projects. The key is that I do exactly what I want to do.

Victoria
I'm in almost the same position as you. The only difference is that I do care whether I make any money from two of the three projects (the other being a philosophical project for which my goal is to improve the world).

But I don't need to make any money from those projects; it would just be nice to get some monetary return from all the work I put in.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:58 pm

technovelist wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:24 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:13 pm

Victoria
I'm in almost the same position as you. The only difference is that I do care whether I make any money from two of the three projects (the other being a philosophical project for which my goal is to improve the world).

But I don't need to make any money from those projects; it would just be nice to get some monetary return from all the work I put in.
If I could run a blog to make some guaranteed money sustainably, I would have retired.
On a second thought, I really lost motivation to even start a blog.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:49 am

When I hit my number, I knew it was time to retire.

In my case, the number was 62. For a long time, my goal was to retire at the age when my father retired (62), and I sold my business at 61, knowing that there would be a transition period.

Theoretically, financial independence came years before. It is all theoretical until you start living the life of a retiree (or voluntary worker).

My wife continues to work at her highly paid job, one in which she has a lot of flexibility and new/varied challenges. When she retires, financial independence will transform from theoretical to actual.

catdude

Post by catdude » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:34 am

I've been retired and financially independent for seven years, and for awhile I did some volunteer work. All I can say is I don't know how I ever made it thru an 8-hour workday. When I was volunteering, I would put in two or three hours and be ready and eager to get the [heck] outta there and go home....
catdude | | You know you're getting old when you start looking for a smaller house with a bigger medicine cabinet.

Agent007

Post by Agent007 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:37 am

I’m 42 and definitely finding myself with this problem. For the longest time, I worked 12 hour days 5-6 days a week and traveled for work whenever it was needed.

A few months ago, I realized that my job brings in ~15% of monthly gross income with the rest coming from stock appreciation and dividends. The idea of working this hard for a 5%-10% annual pay increase seemed odd. Wouldn’t my time be better spent helping my family more and enjoying the time I have?

I’m not sure if this realization is a bad thing. Is it demotivating? Yes. But maybe it’s helping me see something that I should have noticed a while ago.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:48 am

Agent007 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:37 am
I’m 42 and definitely finding myself with this problem. For the longest time, I worked 12 hour days 5-6 days a week and traveled for work whenever it was needed.

A few months ago, I realized that my job brings in ~15% of monthly gross income with the rest coming from stock appreciation and dividends. The idea of working this hard for a 5%-10% annual pay increase seemed odd. Wouldn’t my time be better spent helping my family more and enjoying the time I have?

I’m not sure if this realization is a bad thing. Is it demotivating? Yes. But maybe it’s helping me see something that I should have noticed a while ago.
Be careful making decisions during a bull market. It might be the right decision, but 15% income would look nice if stock appreciation disappears. I try to treat Stock appreciation as a surprise, every December.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:03 am

Agent007 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:37 am

What I did is to re-balance the stock market gains to bonds so that I lock in to gains and look at how much I need to retire.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:05 am

catdude wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:34 am
I've been retired and financially independent for seven years, and for awhile I did some volunteer work. All I can say is I don't know how I ever made it thru an 8-hour workday. When I was volunteering, I would put in two or three hours and be ready and eager to get the [heck] outta there and go home....
Although not much motivation to work, the money is not too bad.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:15 am

In retirement I work much harder and I am way more motivated than I was in my last 10 years of working for a salary. Probably in the last 3 years of working we realized I could stop working for money but we waited until youngest child went away to school.

We are in a culture that doesn't really understand yet what it means to lead an active life in modern day retirement - some of it is pretty labor intensive : )

Every day I am very motivated to work on my fitness level, pursue a couple of hobbies that take several hours of practice time/week, stay up with a few ongoing home projects, community involvement, raising food in our community garden, and most important swinging a hammer (or some other tool) all day a couple of times a week for a local charity.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:26 am

I’ve learned a lot of helpful tips and other things participating in this forum. One thing maybe not so helpful in my case is I find I contemplate more whether I need to work at all. I actually do want to work but I have zero motivation to put in the effort to find an applicable permanent position and even then those can be very hit or miss. I work contract from time to time and that can work well but my last contract had little to do and I was assigned something I had no interest in, and no experience doing so just decided to resign the engagement.

While we are well on our way to FI we aren’t quite there yet. We could live on my wife’s income only but are currently unwilling to make the sacrifices to do that. We have some other future unknowns that make FI harder to define for us.

In short, approaching FI has made me lose motivation to work.

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:34 am

I lost motivation to work after becoming FI at 39 - also I was burnt out working 10-12 hour days for many years. I left work and spent a good 2-3 years with family. Now that my kids are growing I dont feel they need me all the time. The issue is there is nothing else I can do aside from work that gives me a purpose. So I am trying to find work with less hours - it provides a purpose for me to get up everyday.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:34 am

Cruise wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:49 am
When I hit my number, I knew it was time to retire.

In my case, the number was 62. For a long time, my goal was to retire at the age when my father retired (62), and I sold my business at 61, knowing that there would be a transition period.

Theoretically, financial independence came years before. It is all theoretical until you start living the life of a retiree (or voluntary worker).

My wife continues to work at her highly paid job, one in which she has a lot of flexibility and new/varied challenges. When she retires, financial independence will transform from theoretical to actual.
My situation is slightly different. My wife does not want to retire yet. But her IT job is more unstable, with fewer benefits and much lower security, than my teaching job (very stable, flexible hours, and better benefits). If we could switch jobs, I would have retired 5 years ago.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:37 am

gotester2000 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:34 am
I lost motivation to work after becoming FI at 39 - also I was burnt out working 10-12 hour days for many years. I left work and spent a good 2-3 years with family. Now that my kids are growing I dont feel they need me all the time. The issue is there is nothing else I can do aside from work that gives me a purpose. So I am trying to find work with less hours - it provides a purpose for me to get up everyday.
Are you looking for similar jobs in the previous profession or some other ad-hoc jobs? If I leave my current job, I will not be able to come back with the similar position and salary.

aprilcpa

Post by aprilcpa » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:51 am

I'm 45 with kids in the 3rd and 5th grades. We are in the first stage of financial independence - our kids' college education has been funded and we have enough savings to cover our expenses sufficiently for the rest of our lives. Three things keep me working:
1- Even though I am financial independent, I want my kids to see me working. I am FI because of an inheritance, which is not guaranteed for my kids.
2- My field is such that it would be difficult for me to leave and return if necessary. I need to keep up to date on changes and working is the best way to do that.
3 - I enjoy my job - I work full time during tax season and the rest of the year I work part time. FI has allowed me to do that plus fully contribute to an IRA.

My plan, if our investments hold, is to quit "working" entirely when my youngest graduates from high school.

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:57 am

flyingaway wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:37 am
gotester2000 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:34 am
Are you looking for similar jobs in the previous profession or some other ad-hoc jobs? If I leave my current job, I will not be able to come back with the similar position and salary.
I was into IT - high tech - I am looking for a job where I can use this background a little. Position and salary is not important(in fact dont want a higher position with the higher responsibility). I think you understand that I have been delivering to deadlines all my working life - I just want to work a fixed time regular job - doing sporadic contract work now.
My situation is slightly different. My wife does not want to retire yet. But her IT job is more unstable, with fewer benefits and much lower security, than my teaching job (very stable, flexible hours, and better benefits). If we could switch jobs, I would have retired 5 years ago.
I left the job, but now I am finding that work provides a daily purpose - money is just part of it.

DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:40 am

Years ago I made up a financial education powerpoint for my son, as well as young engineers.........

For the typical W-2 worker, I think the mid-career to late career stage is the hardest. Sometimes it seems like all you do is slave away working. But assuming you follow the Boglehead philosophy, you eventually will have enough net worth to achieve financial freedom :)
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett