Luggage Update for Travel

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza

Luggage Update for Travel

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:10 am

I'm planning to up the amount of travel I do in the next couple of years and would appreciate suggestions for upgrading my worn- out luggage.

I am thinking of getting a zippered tote as a carry on/under the seat in front of me.

A smallish (not sure in inches) rolling bag that will fit in an overhead storage cabin

A large rolling duffel bag for extended trips - week or more. This would obviously be checked in baggage.

Would appreciate brand, size, feature suggestions! Thanks

Conch55

Re: Luggage Update for Travel

Post by Conch55 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:18 am

I personally prefer a backpack for under the seat which holds electronics, reading materials offers flexibility and is transportable. If your plan includes international travel I'd look for a smaller roller for the cabin. The 22" standard US size for overhead bins can be a tight squeeze in the some smaller planes. The larger piece of luggage is a matter of preference but I like the 4 wheel spinners. I've tried many brands and all wear out eventually.

BV3273

Post by BV3273 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:22 am

If you travel a lot you really can’t go wrong with anything from TUMI. A little bit pricey, but they hold up and have a great warranty. I received a bag for Christmas about 7 years ago. Had some stitching get lose and brought it to the TUMI store nearby. Filled out a form and left the bag with them. I had a new one delivered to my home in two weeks.

chiseller

Post by chiseller » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:40 am

I won't ever check a bag again. I travel carry on only and I highly recommend backback bags that easily fit in the smallest overhead bin and have comfortable padded backpack straps and a waist belt. When you get off the plane and walk up and down stairs in the airport or train station or along the sidewalk in the city it is so much easier not to have a roller bag. This past weekend I returned from Europe and the ease of carrying a backpack through train stations and in the city was priceless. When I arrived back in the states I flew through without having to wait to pick up a checked back to go through customs. Check out the Osprey Farpoint 40, Tortuga Outbreaker, and Tortuga Setout.

If you can't carry a bag on your back I'd recommend a small european carry on size roller. By traveling carry on only you'll never pay for a checked bag and you'll never risk your luggage getting lost on the way to your destination (happened to my dad last year flying internationally on Virgin Atlantic business class).

Minimize what you carry by bringing clothes you can wear more than once like merino wool items. Wear stylish comfortable walking shoes that can also be worn in a restaurant. Dress in layers that you can mix and match. Always pack for one week and if you travel for a longer period bring the same bag and do laundry on the trip.

midareff

Post by midareff » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:43 am

Have had great experience with www.ebags.com . They have a section where they explain all the differences in materials thoroughly. Bought some luggage from them for extended trips (>9 days) which has held up very well over 8 or 9 trips now being checked. I think it was Timberland branded but its the ballistic material that matters much more.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:51 am

I recently replaced a rolling duffel with a North Face Rolling Thunder duffel. It's very well made and I like it a lot.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/equip ... ls-wheeled

You can find it at a lower price than on the North Face site at retail outlets.

I travel extensively and I'm a big fan of my Briggs & Riley rollaboard. Extremely well made. Lifetime guarantee. I was able to get it at a discount, but would pay full price.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:54 am

chiseller wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:40 am
I won't ever check a bag again. I travel carry on only and I highly recommend backback bags that easily fit in the smallest overhead bin and have comfortable padded backpack straps and a waist belt. When you get off the plane and walk up and down stairs in the airport or train station or along the sidewalk in the city it is so much easier not to have a roller bag. This past weekend I returned from Europe and the ease of carrying a backpack through train stations and in the city was priceless. When I arrived back in the states I flew through without having to wait to pick up a checked back to go through customs. Check out the Osprey Farpoint 40, Tortuga Outbreaker, and Tortuga Setout.

If you can't carry a bag on your back I'd recommend a small european carry on size roller. By traveling carry on only you'll never pay for a checked bag and you'll never risk your luggage getting lost on the way to your destination (happened to my dad last year flying internationally on Virgin Atlantic business class).

Minimize what you carry by bringing clothes you can wear more than once like merino wool items. Wear stylish comfortable walking shoes that can also be worn in a restaurant. Dress in layers that you can mix and match. Always pack for one week and if you travel for a longer period bring the same bag and do laundry on the trip.
I agree on Marino wool items. They don't need to be washed and don't smell. I just came back from Greece and most of the days I wore Marino wool shirt or a sweater.

chiseller - I need to get to your level. I always promise myself that I will travel light and somehow I end up packing a bag full that I never use. I need to see a shrink :D

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:56 am

BV3273 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:22 am
If you travel a lot you really can’t go wrong with anything from TUMI. A little bit pricey, but they hold up and have a great warranty. I received a bag for Christmas about 7 years ago. Had some stitching get lose and brought it to the TUMI store nearby. Filled out a form and left the bag with them. I had a new one delivered to my home in two weeks.
I didn’t believe that TUMI was worth it, but some family members have become converts. I think I will beg for a hand-me-down from my wife. They do go on sale.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:59 am

Got an Eagle Creek Expanse Carry-On on sale a few years ago and it is an excellent, well constructed bag. It rolls perfectly and the wheels and handle look to be very sturdy. I expect to get a lot of years out of it. It has adhered to all airline carry-on size restrictions thus far. I suppose they can change them in the future though. You can see it here but my model is older and looks a little different.

Expanse™ Convertible International Carry-On
Item # EC0A3CWJ
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/expanse-conv ... kit/d/1643

For check in luggage, we have a samsonite we got at an outlet mall really cheap. It looks and works well but we generally do carry-on so it has not seen a lot of use. Sorry, don’t know the model.

We have a warehouse outlet near us and there is a Tumi store in it. Even discounted, they are expensive. Not sure I’d pay the premium but I suppose they’re very good bags. Very stylish for sure, but I prefer not to advertise that I’m a rich tourist (I’m not) wherever I go.
Last edited by AntsOnTheMarch on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:59 am

Rick steves offers a nice carry on bag that fits in the smaller overhead bins of European aircraft....

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:02 am

chiseller wrote:
I won't ever check a bag again.
Me too. My spouse and I are frequent flyers and almost never check a bag. Our current luggage is Travelpro carry-on bags and we're very happy with them. Check the flight attendants carry-on bags, we notice they are often Travelpro bags. I'd also second the suggestion of Osprey backpacks, I'm very happy with our Osprey Escape 25L as a secondary bag for electronics etc. It makes a great day bag once you've arrived at your destination and are out and about.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:32 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:56 am
I didn’t believe that TUMI was worth it, but some family members have become converts. I think I will beg for a hand-me-down from my wife. They do go on sale.
They do go on sale, just not frequently. Nordstrom has a Tumi sale 2 or 3 times a year where I think they're 25-30% off. Tumi also has outlet stores with fairly substantial discounts. I'm a member of a (paid) club where I can buy a bunch of stuff at supplier cost, and I can get most of the Tumi line for about half price. Haven't upgraded our main luggage yet, but my wife and I have each gotten a backpack, and she got a shoulder bag, for carrying our laptops and other assorted stuff to work and on vacation.

FraggleRock

Eagle Creek

Post by FraggleRock » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:51 am

I have a 20 year old Eagle Creek travel pack.
Similar to their Deviate 60L.
Most recent trip was 3 weeks in Portugal and it worked great.
I wore the detachable day pack every day, everywhere.

Travel light and stay in AirBnB units with washers.
Last edited by FraggleRock on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:10 am

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:10 am
I'm planning to up the amount of travel I do in the next couple of years and would appreciate suggestions for upgrading my worn- out luggage.

I am thinking of getting a zippered tote as a carry on/under the seat in front of me.

A smallish (not sure in inches) rolling bag that will fit in an overhead storage cabin

A large rolling duffel bag for extended trips - week or more. This would obviously be checked in baggage.

I currently travel with a Patagonia Refugio backpack. I've had this for about 7 to 8 years now, and it's held up very well over many trips. It's usually the only bag I ever take on vacation, even if I'm traveling for several weeks at a time.

Here's what it looks like if you're interested. They updated the backpack a couple of years ago, but it's the same size as my older model.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:24 am

I like traveling on airplanes with my day sized backpack. It can conform to any sized luggage compartments or underneath seats and allows me to have my hands free for holding tickets, passports, books, snacks, etc. and such and pulling the other bag behind me.

I have been a big fan of buying "old fashioned" hard sided suitcases at auctions for pennies. Nobody wants them. They are easy to spot on the carousels, are indestructible and disposable. Due to being married to someone from a different culture where visits require lots of gifts, I load those suitcases up and leave them at the destination or sometimes use them to send souvenirs back home. I have never worried about burst zippers or thieves at some of the third world airports bothering them. They seem content to just look in the expensive looking luggage.

Cruz

Post by Cruz » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:25 am

Have not used one, but Away luggage has got some good reviews. Luggage looks pretty well designed and thought out. https://www.awaytravel.com

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:00 am

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:

I'd think hard about the emphasized items if you are going to travel a lot--subject to physical limitations, of course. We did a lot of research for retirement travel and each bought an osprey farpoint 55 travel pack. Essentially a ~40L backpack (fits in US overhead bins, but maybe not discount european carriers), and a small daypack (~15L??). We did 8 weeks in Peru (from Amazon to Salkantay) with everything from swimsuits to DW's wintercoat, to a set of fairly fancy clothes for Lima restaurants--also a laptop, a DSLR and a telephoto lens... Packing cubes were helpful, but we had room to bring back a number of alpaca sweaters if we had chosen to make that purchase.

Downside? Yeah, you'll be having to do some laundry, but on an extended trip, you will regardless of luggage size. A few extra sinks of laundry (or trips to the lavanderia) were more than offset by ease of carrying our bags through city streets/airports/bus terminals--and never having to check a bag on the airplane. Going to miss that ease on our next dive trip.
Edit Signature

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:03 am

JDCarpenter wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:00 am
Downside? Yeah, you'll be having to do some laundry, but on an extended trip, you will regardless of luggage size. A few extra sinks of laundry (or trips to the lavanderia) were more than offset by ease of carrying our bags through city streets/airports/bus terminals--and never having to check a bag on the airplane. Going to miss that ease on our next dive trip.
I've also found that in many foreign countries, the price of just hiring someone to do laundry for you is quite reasonable and allows me to focus on other things.

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:13 am

lthenderson wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:03 am

I've also found that in many foreign countries, the price of just hiring someone to do laundry for you is quite reasonable and allows me to focus on other things.
+1. We did far less laundry than we expected on our trip because the prices were so low in those locations at which it was available. Only downside is that you need to be staying in the same location long enough to be there when it is finished.
Edit Signature

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:16 am

After some recommendations in a previous luggage thread for an E-bags carry-on backpack TLS Motherlode, I got one. I've used it extensively and really really like it. If can fit in the overhead of a regional jet and also expand to be thicker. I also like the way it stores away at home. It can be carried on the back like a backpack, by the handle, or with a shoulder strap. It has zippers, but also straps, so 2 redundant ways to keep the bag closed.

Until I used this particular E-bag I've never had people compliment me on my luggage which has happened a couple of times so far.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

MJS

Post by MJS » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:33 am

Look for bags with light colored interiors. While trying to find something in a black tube by the light of a 40 watt bulb is a wonderful mental challenge, it is also very aggravating.

Look for an under-seat bag that fits neatly and securely on top of your rollie.

avalpert

Post by avalpert » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:48 am

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:

How do you plan to travel? Are you going to be doing a lot of movement locally (buses/trains/walking) or is just home-taxi-airport-taxi-hotel? Are you travelling mostly urban/rural/mix, developed world/developing world/mix, etc? What type of gear might you be carrying?

Personally, my primary luggage has been a (unfortunately no longer made) Dana Design Bombpack that has traveled with me to over 100 countries on trips of all sorts of lengths/modes of transportation/ease of difficulty. It can carry all my clothes/toiletries for several weeks along with 2 bcds/regulators/masks and still be carried on to almost any plane in the world. If/when I have to replace it it will be with a similar type device. But that won't work for everyone. The biggest problem with rolling bags (particularly in the current state of both checked and carry-on restrictions) is the mechanism add size and weight that limit what you can bring and they are ill-suited for use outside of the predictably smooth surfaces from the taxi to the airport gate.

When we need to bring more luggage for whatever reason, we use Patagonia black-hole duffels of varying sizes. For business travel (or when I am carrying a suit for an occasion) I use my Red Oxx Air Boss (I also use it when I am taking my full scuba gear and between it and my backpack I can carry on the plane two full scuba outfits including wetsuits/fins and all my personal needs for a couple weeks).

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:01 pm

avalpert wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:48 am

... I use my Red Oxx Air Boss (I also use it when I am taking my full scuba gear and between it and my backpack I can carry on the plane two full scuba outfits including wetsuits/fins and all my personal needs for a couple weeks).
Are either of you underwater photographers? If so, how does that work? DW's aquatica housing/ports and strobes has been the primary blockage for going carry-on only for dive trips. Still trying to figure out that gordian knot--maybe sealife camera in lieu of the big rig?
Edit Signature

avalpert

Post by avalpert » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:12 pm

JDCarpenter wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:01 pm
avalpert wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:48 am

... I use my Red Oxx Air Boss (I also use it when I am taking my full scuba gear and between it and my backpack I can carry on the plane two full scuba outfits including wetsuits/fins and all my personal needs for a couple weeks).
Are either of you underwater photographers?
(unfortunately) no. That would definitely make it a stretch. It also depends on the nature of the trip - when we go to Bonaire we check a duffel and have the ability to bring more gear (including my full save-a-dive kit), when we were diving Lake Malawi as part of a broader trip through Malawi and Zambia I only brought bcd/regs/masks and rented our other needs. I would encourage scaling the photography rig so she has options on how much to bring depending on the situation.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:24 pm

I agree with a few others that said, "won't check a bag ever".

Trip enjoyment is inversely correlated with how much crap you bring with you. Try to adopt this philosophy for your next trip. You'll never go back.
Funding secured

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:34 pm

chiseller wrote:

I generally agree with what you wrote (have an Osprey Porter 30 myself), but I have found it increasingly difficult to stay within an airline's weight limits. For example, we will fly Alitalia to Italy in a couple of months. In coach, you can take one carry-on of up to 8 kg (<18 lbs). The Porter 30 is relatively light at under 2-1/2 lbs, but I'm already down to about 15 lbs, tops, for all the clothes, etc. I will pack in my bag. Even with layering (of clothes), hand washing, etc. I find it almost impossible to be assured that I will meet the weight restrictions and be able to take a carry-on on-board. Yes, we take our chances and so far have been able to get pass the airline personnel, but it's tough and unclear to me that at some point the idea of traveling light won't help one to avoid checking bags (unless one simply flies business or first class).

ymmv :wink:

https://www.alitalia.com/en_us/fly-alit ... ggage.html

Edit - For people who carry on their bags (and fly coach): Are you really able to stay strictly within airlines' weight limits for carry-ons?

And, yes, in case anyone is wondering we have had airlines weigh our bags (and they weren't obviously heavy-looking bags or anything).

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:50 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:34 pm

Edit - For people who carry on their bags (and fly coach): Are you really able to stay strictly within airlines' weight limits for carry-ons?

Easily. Light travel is an obsession of mine, and if I really keep things to a minimum, I can fit everything I need into a small pack and still have half the pack empty. What exactly are you traveling with that weighs so much?

I did a write up on this subject not long ago. If you want to see what I've got in my own bag, check it out.

Ethelred

Post by Ethelred » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:54 pm

We have a variety of luggage - backpacks, cheap suitcases and duffels. Personally, though, I love Osprey products, including their wheeled luggage. We have a 32"/110L Osprey Shuttle (they don't make this particular size any more) and what I think is a Sojourn 28"/80L. These days, though they've become very expensive. We've always waited until we can get 25 or 30% off, through a sale at REI or elsewhere, which seems to happen several times a year. For carry-on, I'm thinking about buying a 22" Ozone, but I'm struggling to justify the cost.
rjbraun wrote:
I generally agree with what you wrote (have an Osprey Porter 30 myself), but I have found it increasingly difficult to stay within an airline's weight limits. For example, we will fly Alitalia to Italy in a couple of months. In coach, you can take one carry-on of up to 8 kg (<18 lbs). The Porter 30 is relatively light at under 2-1/2 lbs, but I'm already down to about 15 lbs, tops, for all the clothes, etc. I will pack in my bag. Even with layering (of clothes), hand washing, etc. I find it almost impossible to be assured that I will meet the weight restrictions and be able to take a carry-on on-board. Yes, we take our chances and so far have been able to get pass the airline personnel, but it's tough and unclear to me that at some point the idea of traveling light won't help one to avoid checking bags (unless one simply flies business or first class).

And, yes, in case anyone is wondering we have had airlines weigh our bags (and they weren't obviously heavy-looking bags or anything).
It varies between airlines. United only has a size limit, not a weight limit, but we recently flew with Singapore Airlines, carry-on only in economy. Their weight limit is 7kg, and we were asked to weigh our bags at check-in, including traveling in both directions. We only managed to get under by stuffing the heavy stuff into a smaller backpack, which they didn't then weigh.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:57 pm

When I was an "air warrier" for a living, I learned to never check a bag. I recently did have to fly on business and a colleague did check his bags because he was going to be on the road for a week. A late landing and on time departure at the connection meant that his bag didn't make it. We were together for a day, then flying back to the connection city. He didn't meet his checked bags until he was at the connection.

The key is to pack really light. I pack for 3 days max whether I'm gone for 3 days or 3 months. This includes the computer and all chargers needed. Every hotel has a laundry and I have no problem spending $5 to wash 3 days worth, then wearing the same stuff again. The shoes I'm wearing on the plane are the only shoes I bring and they're black leather walking shoes that I could run in if I want.

My family went to Florida a few years ago on Spirit. You get to carry on something the size of a computer bag and anything else costs money. Since it was vacation, I didn't need work clothes or a computer, so fit everything for a week in that bag. We did pay for one suit case checked for the entire family of 4 with nothing of mine in it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:59 pm

rjbraun wrote:
I went to Hawaii for a week once wearing my bathing suit, a T-shirt, sandals, sunglasses and carrying wallet, face mask, snorkel, and fins and that's it. The airline employee was amazed. I was staying in a condo with washer/dryer, toiletries, and maid service, so I didn't need toothbrush, soap, shampoo, towels, nothing. In the islands, I bought a Hawaiian shirt, new shorts, and sunscreen.

I've been to Manhattan for weekend with only an extra set of socks and underwear.

I do a little ultralight backpacking, so packing is pretty easy ... even for a winter trip.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:06 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:59 pm
rjbraun wrote:
I went to Hawaii for a week once wearing my bathing suit, a T-shirt, sandals, sunglasses and carrying wallet, face mask, snorkel, and fins and that's it. The airline employee was amazed. I was staying in a condo with washer/dryer, toiletries, and maid service, so I didn't need toothbrush, soap, shampoo, towels, nothing. In the islands, I bought a Hawaiian shirt, new shorts, and sunscreen.

I've been to Manhattan for weekend with only an extra set of socks and underwear.

I do a little ultralight backpacking, so packing is pretty easy ... even for a winter trip.
I thought about trying something like this once. What do you wear while you're washing your clothes?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:12 pm

Why would I wash clothes during a weekend trip?

In Hawaii with the washer/dryer, I don't have to wear anything except maybe a towel around my waist.

But you know that non-cotton underwear dries really fast. If you wash clothes in sink, then you can squeeze out water, then place flat on a cotton towel (provided by hotel), and roll up and twist to remove even more water. Things like Nike Combat and exOfficio gear and also acrylic socks are practically dry at that point.

Lee Saage

Post by Lee Saage » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:14 pm

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:02 am
chiseller wrote:
I won't ever check a bag again.
Me too. My spouse and I are frequent flyers and almost never check a bag. Our current luggage is Travelpro carry-on bags and we're very happy with them. Check the flight attendants carry-on bags, we notice they are often Travelpro bags. I'd also second the suggestion of Osprey backpacks, I'm very happy with our Osprey Escape 25L as a secondary bag for electronics etc. It makes a great day bag once you've arrived at your destination and are out and about.
One nice thing about Travelpro luggage is the ease with which one can replace the wheels. Most luggage wheels are more or less permanently attached and getting new ones means either a visit to a luggage repair shop or new luggage. A web site that caters to airline cabin attendants (www.flightattendantshop.com) has replacement wheels for Travelpro and they are a snap to replace.
Most of my money went to fast cars, fast living and good wine. The rest I just wasted.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:18 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:12 pm
Why would I wash clothes during a weekend trip?

In Hawaii with the washer/dryer, I don't have to wear anything except maybe a towel around my waist.

But you know that non-cotton underwear dries really fast. If you wash clothes in sink, then you can squeeze out water, then place flat on a cotton towel (provided by hotel), and roll up and twist to remove even more water. Things like Nike Combat and exOfficio gear and also acrylic socks are practically dry at that point.
Do you just wear the same shirt and pants for several days? I get hot easily, so unless I went someplace really cold where sweating was unlikely, I'd smell pretty bad by the end of the weekend if I wore only one shirt.

I agree - Ex Officio makes great boxers. Patagonia makes some good stuff too; feels a little different, but dries just as fast.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:37 pm

climber2020 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:18 pm
Do you just wear the same shirt and pants for several days? I get hot easily, so unless I went someplace really cold where sweating was unlikely, I'd smell pretty bad by the end of the weekend if I wore only one shirt.
I often wear the same pants every day. I wear a T-shirt under a dress shirt. The dress-shirt stays clean. I can wash the T-shirt in the room at night. Or I can use the laundromat in the hotel. If I am going to use the laundromat, then I will take Dri-Fit gym shorts to wear when walking down the corridor. If my pants or dress shirt get something spilled on them, I wash just the spill out before going to bed. They are dry in the morning.

In China, it was cheaper to buy new underwear than it was to wash it.

Consider that my business trips were to teach university students. I could wear jeans or dockers for these. Sometimes I would wear a blazer that I would not need to pack since I was wearing it.

I don't always pack light; sometimes I check luggage including my carry-on.
Last edited by livesoft on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billthecat

Post by billthecat » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:43 pm

climber2020 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:50 pm

I did a write up on this subject not long ago. If you want to see what I've got in my own bag, check it out.
Good stuff. Got me re-thinking my strategy:
  • laptop: I sometimes (60% of the time) bring it because I enjoy it. But I may not next time. 15" MacBook Pro.
  • iPad: something I also enjoy using, particularly for media while on the plane. I could just watch movies on my phone though.
  • Beats over the ear headphones: sound great, noise canceling. Blocks the drone of the airplane noise. But bulky. May leave behind next time. But ordinary headphones don't block ambient noise, and so I need to crank them up to hear them, which is not good.
  • two iPhones (work, travel). Instead of bringing my work iphone, I may just bring the SIM card.
I'd love to lighten the load, but not so much that I miss the stuff I don't bring.
We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails.

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:10 pm

climber2020 wrote:
rjbraun wrote:

Easily. Light travel is an obsession of mine, and if I really keep things to a minimum, I can fit everything I need into a small pack and still have half the pack empty. What exactly are you traveling with that weighs so much?

Impressive (your packing list/etc.). Our bags compared well to nearly everyone we ran into during our recent 8 week trip, but I'm sharing your blog with DW. We won't get as far as you even on nondiving trips (lap-tablet, etc.), but worthy ideas nonetheless.
Edit Signature

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:15 pm

billthecat wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:43 pm
climber2020 wrote:

Good stuff. Got me re-thinking my strategy:
  • laptop: I sometimes (60% of the time) bring it because I enjoy it. But I may not next time. 15" MacBook Pro.
  • iPad: something I also enjoy using, particularly for media while on the plane. I could just watch movies on my phone though.
  • Beats over the ear headphones: sound great, noise canceling. Blocks the drone of the airplane noise. But bulky. May leave behind next time. But ordinary headphones don't block ambient noise, and so I need to crank them up to hear them, which is not good.
  • two iPhones (work, travel). Instead of bringing my work iphone, I may just bring the SIM card.
I'd love to lighten the load, but not so much that I miss the stuff I don't bring.
Thanks!

I used to travel with an iPad, but with phones getting larger, I found I wasn't using it nearly as much so I sold it about a year ago and haven't missed it. On most longer flights, especially international, they have the touch screens on the back of each seat with tons of free movies, so I typically watch those instead of bringing my own.

JDCarpenter wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:10 pm
Impressive (your packing list/etc.). Our bags compared well to nearly everyone we ran into during our recent 8 week trip, but I'm sharing your blog with DW. We won't get as far as you even on nondiving trips (lap-tablet, etc.), but worthy ideas nonetheless.
Thanks for reading! It took a lot of trial and error to pare it down this much, but it's been worth it.

avalpert

Post by avalpert » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:21 pm

climber2020 wrote:
rjbraun wrote:

My packing habits aren't all that different than yours but I disagree with you regarding packing cubes (or stuff sacks) not so much to save space but for organizing. For me I use it to separate clean/dirty underwear in my bag - for the kids we use it to keep their clothes separate in the same pack - sometimes you aren't organizing junk you are organizing your necessities.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:34 pm

I'll add my voice to the growing chorus of "one bag" travelers. I've even converted my wife to the relig... er, method. :D

And ideally that one bag will be worn on your back, leaving your hands free and letting you climb stairs and navigate public transit with ease. (Wheels and internal frames take up space and weight, and they should be avoided unless your physical condition requires them.)

Basically the OP needs to rethink the whole concept here. Longer trips don't mean "bigger bag", they just mean "do laundry more often". I've gone as long as two weeks out of a single bag, covering various climates. Once you get to that point, you can pretty much go indefinitely. Quick-and-frequent "sink laundry" washes of a few items every day or so will tide you over between longer stops at a coin laundry. It becomes part of your nightly routine, like brushing your teeth.

And by the way, I've one-bagged for years, both domestically and abroad, and not once have I ever had a catastrophic case of "oh I wish I packed such-and-such". On the contrary, the rare need for something I didn't pack usually winds up sparking an memorable adventure.

Here's a great Rick Steves article on the topic: https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/ ... king-smart
Stay on target...

yosh99

Post by yosh99 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:40 pm

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:08 pm

I'll mention a packing method I use.

I make one-day's worth of undergarments as a rolled unit: T-shirt, briefs, socks. Fold arms over and roll from neck to waist. This creates something like a rolled towel. I will put as many of these units as needed in the bottom of my luggage in a single layer. So in my E-bag carry-on, I can get 5 or 6 of these easily as a single layer. I may substitute a roll with bike jersey, bike shorts, socks or running shirt, running shorts, socks. In either case, the clothes are rolled up.

I take a trash compactor bag to put the dirty used clothes in. But to pack the dirty clothes I roll them up just like they were when they were clean, then put them in the plastic bag. It doesn't matter if they are sweaty or wet or dirty or stinky. The rolls go in the luggage exactly where they started: In the bottom next to the clean rolls of clothes, but inside the compactor bag which is simply folded over (see below). The bag is also a laundry bag when I go to a laundromat.

I can easily see the number of clean "days" I have before I need to wash, but also I can wash a rolled unit any evening I want to in the sink.

On top of the layer of rolled undergarments, I will put slacks and shirts. The trash compactor bag excess can be laid on top of or between any slacks or shirts depending on whether I need to keep something separated. Any sweaters or cool-weather jackets/puffies are on top of that and easily accessible on top of all other clothes.

Slacks and shirts are always hung up on hangars in the hotel if possible.

I don't need cubes or stuff sacks.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:57 pm

avalpert wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:21 pm
climber2020 wrote:
rjbraun wrote:

My packing habits aren't all that different than yours but I disagree with you regarding packing cubes (or stuff sacks) not so much to save space but for organizing. For me I use it to separate clean/dirty underwear in my bag - for the kids we use it to keep their clothes separate in the same pack - sometimes you aren't organizing junk you are organizing your necessities.
For a roller bag or a checked suitcase I can see how those might help, especially stuff sacks since they're flexible. The backpack I typically use has enough separate compartments that I haven't found them necessary.

I also rarely need to transport dirty laundry, but when I do I just use the plastic laundry bag hanging in the closet that most hotels provide.

chiseller

Post by chiseller » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:28 pm

rjbraun wrote:
chiseller wrote:

I haven't run into the problem yet. Most recently I was at the Air France desk and they glanced at the bag, asked if it weighed under 12 kg (I promptly replied yes), then checked me in without weighing the bag or giving it a second thought. I think having a small bag, and in particular a backpack bag, makes you less of a target, especially for being forced to check the bag at the gate.

Maya1234

Post by Maya1234 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:34 pm

I'm not a light packer. Don't want to be. Have never had a problem with checking luggage in many years of regular business travel. Also have never ever spent one minute doing laundry on vacation.

spectec

Post by spectec » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:39 pm

Here's my favorite for domestic and international travel. It brings lots of utility to the "one bag/carry-on" practice. The removable day pack can be detached to store the main pack in overhead bins, then reattached when waling trough airports, etc. It fits most overhead bin sizers with the day pack removed, but I almost never get asked to even use the sizer when I tell them the day pack is removable. High Sierra makes a quality product, and their warranty is very good.

https://shop.highsierra.com/summer-trav ... nt#start=7

On those rare occasions when I need to take checked bag, I pair it up with their 30" wheeled duffel.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

crumbone

Post by crumbone » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:09 am

Soft duffel and if I'm bringing any dress clothes, a simple garment bag (the kind you get for free from fancy department stores, not the kind you buy from luggage makers.) If I need extra-crisp shirts (talk or interview), I'll pack them in dry cleaner bags inside the garment bag; ties are rolled up inside a sport coat pocket.

Flight attendants will often let me hang the garment bag in the 1st class coat closet, even if I'm not sitting there. If I can't, it will always squish into some otherwise-unusable space in the overhead. Dress clothes arrive in perfect condition every time.

For long trips, I ship laundry and souvenirs home; these days it's still cheaper than checking a bag.

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:33 pm

If there's any chance you'll end up on the smaller planes or on budget European carriers, you'll have to check (or gate-check) a roller bag.

You lose a lot of useful space (~25%) and gain excess weight with a roller bag. Once you get used to traveling light, a soft bag is plenty -- I've done 3 week overseas winter vacations with just a soft bag.

I'm partial to Tom Bihn, but I also like the Red Oxx products.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:05 pm

I fail to see what the big deal is about checking a bag. I've never had one lost in dozens of business trips, and in most cases,it only takes an extra 5 minutes or so to retrieve.

On a recent vacation trip to Barcelona, however, DW convinced me to go all carry-on. So I bought a new spinning roller bag sized for overhead bins from Costco (very nice bag, BTW, only $99) plus I carried on a soft bag for my electronics, prescriptions, books etc. It was a crowded flight, so I could only put one bag in the overhead. The soft bag I had to tuck under the seat in front.

Being that we were flying Coach (we are not as fabulously wealthy as some other Bogleheads), I spent a very uncomfortable 8.5 hours not being able to fully stretch out my legs. When we landed in Barcelona at 7:00 AM in the dark–surprise! No jetway when we disembarked. That meant DW and I had to struggle with 2 fairly heavy bags that we had to carry down the steep airplane steps onto the tarmac. Not fun, or comfortable.

P.S, on the way home I insisted on checking 1 bag apiece leaving us with one light carry-on bag each which we could stow in the overheads. A much more pleasant trip by far and both bags waiting for us on the carousel after clearing Customs.

PPS: Oh yeah, and doing laundry on vacation? What's that all about?

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:17 pm

El Greco wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:05 pm
I fail to see what the big deal is about checking a bag. I've never had one lost in dozens of business trips, and in most cases,it only takes an extra 5 minutes or so to retrieve.

One example: had we checked a bag for our honeymoon trip to Easter Island last year, we would have missed our connecting flight in Chile. By a lot. Next flight left 2 days later and we would have lost out on over a quarter of our time on the island.

It also makes a difference if you're traveling to several different countries all on the same trip and you have to haul your bag around with you. I've gone around Europe a few different times with a big bag and with a little bag. Little bag was much more comfortable.