Safest roomy luxury suv?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
whatistiaa

Safest roomy luxury suv?

Post by whatistiaa » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:15 pm

Hi all,

We’ve been driving a 2003 Toyota Camry for a long time, but are ready to upgrade to a new car. We’ve already decided we will buy new. And we want a roomy SUV. And we’d like it to be as safe as possible. We’re considering things in the range of BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne, etc.

Any recommendations, experiences, stories, etc. are greatly appreciated!

randomguy

Re: Safest roomy luxury suv?

Post by randomguy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:29 pm

. If I had to picked the safest I would go with the Volvo XC90. Volvo has been the one company that has consistantly put safety first and not designed to the test. When they change/add tests (like the offset ones), Volvos tend to be the only ones that do well.

But we are talking very, very small differences when comparing things like MB GL, Audi Q7, BMW X5, Volvo XC90, and so on. There aren't going to be many crashes where you die in one and walk away in another.

mxs

Post by mxs » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:31 pm

Audi Q7 if it has to be perceived as luxury, if you want space and cargo space, Ford Expedition EL or Lincoln Navigator.

whatistiaa

Post by whatistiaa » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:37 pm

Thanks for the replies so far, I should just add that we’re looking for a 5 seater. By roomy, I mean wide and comfy seats, not a 7 seater.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:40 pm

Dont own any but i like to window shop.
The q7 seems to consistently win awards and reviews. Its the best reviewed by consumer reports and caranddriver among others. I cant say what theyre actually like since ive never been in one

Blue

Post by Blue » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:42 pm

We recently looked at this and the winner for us was the Mercedes GLE/GLS. It has consistently high ratings across IIHS and NHTSA testing and also has exceedingly low driver fatality data as reported by IIHS.

We also looked at Volvo XC90 but IIHS gives it only marginal headlight rating. In terms of safety testing and driver fatality data, the other luxury brands didn’t compare in our opinion.

YMMV.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:26 am

Toyota Landcruiser? or lexus variant? :D

stlrick

Post by stlrick » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:02 am

Don't overlook any differences in other safety features. My wife has a 2014 Acura RDX, which did not come with blind spot warning lights. I have a newer car that has them. They are a great feature. As we have gotten used to them in my car, we've become more and more irritated by not having them in her car, and will be trading it in much earlier than we had intended.

BV3273

Post by BV3273 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:10 am

I’d look at the 6 seat layout Lexus GX460. Instead of bench seats it has two sets of captains chairs (they also make a model with bench seats as well). You can easily access the third row if need be. If not flip the seats down for more storage. I actually test drove one over the weekend. Drives nice and looks great. Plus dealing with the dealership has been a breeze.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:16 am

If a CUV is fine, which most SUVs really are:

Tesla Model X in 5 seat configuration.

Volvo XC90.

Mercedes GLE.

I would not touch an Audi wth a barge pole.

jainn

Post by jainn » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:19 am

I thought this article and video from Australia covered many aspects quite well, in the luxury suv segment. Hundreds of photos and an in depth video comparison test.

Article and Video:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/470932/luxu ... olvo-xc90/

Video only:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcbAC_zlkAQ

5 star safety rating:
https://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/news/p ... crash-test

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:38 am

Safest is an absolute term I'd stay away from and any evaluation is going to be subjective. Here's a couple points to keep in mind that are subjective:

1) Blind spots due to design/styling of vehicle. The primary drivers need to take a test drive with the seats and mirrors adjusted to a comfortable position and then drive on a road where you need to do merging and maneuver in a parking lot. The design/styling of the vehicle's exterior (such as large rear pillars) can significantly impact visibility. For me no amount of electronics can compensate for not having good visibility with my own eyes.

2) Safety options. Some advanced safety options such as lane keeping assist, active braking assist, and active blind spot detection come as part of high priced "technology packages" or "premium packages" that can add up to $10,000 to the list price of the vehicle. Sometimes there is a standard feature such as braking assist that looks for rear-end collisions as well as an upgraded active braking assist feature that will also look for T-bone collisions. What is standard and what is part of a package varies by manufacturer. You may find you need to buy things you don't want, such as a multi-year subscription to a satellite radio service. You may also find "loaded" vehicles with the safety options are hard to find at the dealerships and need to be special ordered. I'd have to assume that out of warranty repairs for some of these complicated systems could become very expensive.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:49 am

Mercedes and Volvo are the brands that come to mind in terms of having a clear and consistent focus on safety. Most other brands are also designing safer cars these days but with most of them the specific focus is to match government regulations and not get sued in class actions rather than some internal customer safety goal/ideal.

I personally would not buy an Audi or a BMW even though they are really nice cars due to consistent reliability issues and cost to repair and maintain these brands over time (but I drive cars a minimum of 10 years).

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:49 am

If you are worried about safety within a car class the largest effect will be how much you drive the car, the kind of roads you drive on, when you drive, what condition you are in while driving, and what ability you have to avoid distractions and pay attention to what you are doing.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:51 am

whatistiaa wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:15 pm
And we’d like it to be as safe as possible.
"Safety" is a difficult thing to define and evaluate. Aside from things like airbags, crumple zones and side impact protection, there's autonomous driving technology, collision avoidance systems, vehicle stability systems, cameras, radar, laser, tire pressure monitoring systems, headlights, tires etc.. We have a 2017 BMW X5 and here are my thoughts:

- Lots of collision avoidance tech may be optional. Lane departure warning, top view cameras, active cruise control, night vision etc.. When comparing ratings, make sure to understand what optional equipment the car has or is missing.

- The safety rating of a car can change depending what optional equipment it has. The manufacturer does not always spell it out for you. For the X5 the frontal collision mitigation system achieves a higher safety rating if the car is equipped with active cruise control. ACC adds a radar sensor which allows the car to automatically stop and go in traffic. The additional benefit is that the radar will enable the automatic safety systems to be more effective in slowing or stopping the car in certain situations. ACC is almost never included on BMWs on dealer lots. BMW salespeople are almost universally ignorant on its effect on the frontal collision avoidance system.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopne ... prevention

- Night vision. An expensive option and a bit of a gimmick - unless you live in a high deer accident area. For us it's probably prevented 2-3 deer collisions in the past 12 months.

- Adaptive LED headlights. In the USA, DOT laws restrict adaptive headlights to a limited ability to swivel around corners and automatic high beams that turn on and off when detecting other cars. Generally LED headlights are better than halogen, and may be better than HID/xenon. Some luxury cars have poorly rated headlights. Sometimes they can be adjusted or modified to improve them.

- In the USA, adaptive LED headlights have been hobbled. In the rest of the world high tech matrix LED technology allows LED lights to do much more to illuminate more of the road while not blinding other cars. Beam patterns can dynamically adjust to driving conditions. Unfortunately antiquated DOT laws make them illegal in the USA. So all the Audi, MB, Lexus, BMW etc. marketing about beam pattern changing super high tech LED headlights generally does NOT apply to USA market cars. However, I know for a fact that with BMW X5 it is possible to modify the adaptive LEDs aftermarket to restore RoW functionality.

- Repairing the car after a fender bender can get expensive. With LEDs, radar, cameras, laser, ultrasonic parking sensors, it can add up to a lot.

- Tires. Many luxury cars come with summer tires. Make sure to have proper tires for the weather conditions. The high tech safety systems don't work at all well if the tires have no traction.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:44 am

Blue wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:42 pm
We recently looked at this and the winner for us was the Mercedes GLE/GLS. It has consistently high ratings across IIHS and NHTSA testing and also has exceedingly low driver fatality data as reported by IIHS.

We also looked at Volvo XC90 but IIHS gives it only marginal headlight rating. In terms of safety testing and driver fatality data, the other luxury brands didn’t compare in our opinion.

YMMV.
Your recommendation beat me to it. MB +1

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:26 am

midareff wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:44 am
Blue wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:42 pm

YMMV.
Your recommendation beat me to it. MB +1
The Headlight safety test is new and I expect that every manufacture will be updating to meet the test over the next couple of model years. Right now a lot of makers built their car to DOT standards (3 lux not 5). There is also some debate on how repeatable the results are (i.e. if you buy a 100 cars how much differences in factory aiming will change the results). The good news is that this is one safety tech that is easy for you to test before buying. Go drive the car you want to buy at night and see what the difference is to you.

MB though is definitely the second brand that comes to mind when you are talking safety.

QuentinCrisp

Post by QuentinCrisp » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:15 pm

I was on this quest and recently went with the Volvo XC60, though I liked the XC90 which provides more seating and storage space. Excellent visibility in both. Here is a video that examines the XC90 literally from underneath to show its undercarriage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hrw_iwEF64

I also found this in-depth review of the XC60 useful when initially looking, which is a more practical vehicle for me as an urban dweller:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO51oLAjl4E

Quentin

malabargold

Post by malabargold » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:30 pm

If you don’t need clearance for off-roading check out the Mercedes wagon E class

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:47 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:16 am

Volvo XC90.

Mercedes GLE.

Are you coming at this from a perspective of safety, or reliability? Your tone implies the latter. If so, your sentiments are diametrically opposed to reality. Two of the three models you recommend (Model X and XC90) are among the 10 least reliable vehicles (of all types), and are the bottom two luxury SUV/CUVs. Audi as a brand is #2 overall in reliability in the luxury space (behind only Lexus) and has been for the past , whereas Volvo is second worst (beating only Cadillac). The only luxury SUV/CUV to make the top 10 most reliable vehicle list is the Audi Q3, and the Q7 is the top-ranked luxury midsize SUV/CUV from a reliability perspective.

thangngo

Post by thangngo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:50 pm

If you want absolute safest car, you better not driving any car. Driving a car automatically put you at risk of potential incidents on the road. Be a good driver and you might put yourself in position to avoid incidents on the road. If you can and want to get all the bell and whistles of new crash avoidance technologies, go for it. But don't bet your life on it because I've seen forward crash avoidance and blind spot alert technologies have a "glitch" and did not work.

I would go with Cadillac Escalade but you crossed off 7-seats SUV. For roomy 5-seats luxury suv, I would go with Mercedes GL. Next in order would be Porsche Cayenne, Range Rover, and Tesla Model X.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:02 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:47 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:

Volvo XC90.

Mercedes GLE.

Are you coming at this from a perspective of safety, or reliability? Your tone implies the latter. If so, your sentiments are diametrically opposed to reality. Two of the three models you recommend (Model X and XC90) are among the 10 least reliable vehicles (of all types), and are the bottom two luxury SUV/CUVs. Audi as a brand is #2 overall in reliability in the luxury space (behind only Lexus) and has been for the past , whereas Volvo is second worst (beating only Cadillac). The only luxury SUV/CUV to make the top 10 most reliable vehicle list is the Audi Q3, and the Q7 is the top-ranked luxury midsize SUV/CUV from a reliability perspective.
Sorry if my tone was open to misinterpretation. My perspective is Safety, first and foremost.

Audi corporate showed me, decisively, that they valued a dollar more than our safety a decade ago. I would not accept an Audi for free, reliable or not.

Reliability matters less to me than safety, ymmv.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:23 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:02 pm
Sorry if my tone was open to misinterpretation. My perspective is Safety, first and foremost.

Audi corporate showed me, decisively, that they valued a dollar more than our safety a decade ago. I would not accept an Audi for free, reliable or not.

Reliability matters less to me than safety, ymmv.
Fair enough.

myisland

Post by myisland » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:33 pm

The Q7 is RIGHTEOUS to drive. The only fun one, except maybe the Porsche and Tesla (I haven't driven either of those).

Volvo XC90 felt small to me. Far from roomy.

Lexus GX is roomy like truck, but drives like truck. But it'll last forever and you can look like "old money."

Edit to add X5 is fun to drive, too. Not roomy to me.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:28 pm

myisland wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:33 pm
The Q7 is RIGHTEOUS to drive. The only fun one, except maybe the Porsche and Tesla (I haven't driven either of those).
Had a Cayenne as a rental a few years ago. Even the base V6 model is surprisingly fun to drive. The V8 and turbo models have to be an absolute blast. The GTS can actually be had with a manual transmission. :mrgreen:

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:47 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:28 pm
The GTS can actually be had with a manual transmission. :mrgreen:
The Tesla can only be had without a transmission.

whatistiaa

Post by whatistiaa » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:34 pm

Thank you all for the replies. It seems like it will be important for us to go test drive a few vehicles and make sure that it is comfortable and has good visibility for us. Not sure how we missed the Mercedes GLE, but we appreciate that recommendation and it is now a front runner on paper.

I have one additional question that I’m not sure if I should make a new thread for. After perusing several car threads here it seems that some people recommend leasing these types of “luxury” cars because of maintenance issues down the line. We do not want to lease a new car every 2-3 years, but it occurred to me that we can lease our preferred car, and if we have no issues after 2-3 years, but it outright. Are there any financial drawbacks to a plan such as this? I’ve never leased a car, but assuming we lease and then buy, wouldn’t we pay the same amount as if we bought outright? And of course, if maintenance is an issue, it will be an annoying but not meaningful financial hit to return the car and try again.

Thank you in advance, if it is more appropriate, I can start a new thread instead with this question.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:53 pm

The only Luxury SUV I would buy would be a Lexus for long term reliability. It's consistently rated at the top for reliability. You can also buy used or CPO and have peace of mind that it should be reliable. I would definitely lease German Luxury or get an extended warranty and sell when it's up. I'm not that familiar with Volvo long term reliability but I would consider leasing or an extended warranty.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:04 pm

whatistiaa wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:34 pm
Thank you all for the replies. It seems like it will be important for us to go test drive a few vehicles and make sure that it is comfortable and has good visibility for us. Not sure how we missed the Mercedes GLE, but we appreciate that recommendation and it is now a front runner on paper.

I have one additional question that I’m not sure if I should make a new thread for. After perusing several car threads here it seems that some people recommend leasing these types of “luxury” cars because of maintenance issues down the line. We do not want to lease a new car every 2-3 years, but it occurred to me that we can lease our preferred car, and if we have no issues after 2-3 years, but it outright. Are there any financial drawbacks to a plan such as this? I’ve never leased a car, but assuming we lease and then buy, wouldn’t we pay the same amount as if we bought outright? And of course, if maintenance is an issue, it will be an annoying but not meaningful financial hit to return the car and try again.

Thank you in advance, if it is more appropriate, I can start a new thread instead with this question.

If you buy the leased car you will likely end up paying 1-2k in various fees that you can avoid by buying. The problem isn't maintenance. It is the unexpected repairs and they might not show up until year 5 or 6:) You could get the extended warranty for another 3-4 years and just consider it part of the price of owning. Owning out of warranty is what worries people as a 1k honda repair can easily be 3k on a german car. Factor in having 2-3x as many repairs as honda and you can see how it turns into real money for some people.

IngognitoUSA

Post by IngognitoUSA » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:27 pm

Had a Xc90, ml 350, qx60.

Cost of Ownership is high on all 3. Xc90 had too many issues after 5 years. Ml 350 drive like a car and fun to drive, I did not feel safe with that vehicle, too light. Qx60 is the newest I own with a lot of bells and whistles and a lot of neat safety features. By far, I feel safest in qx60, it drives like a truck, feels like a truck and if I hit someone with it, they will be toast.

Anyone here ever did a cost benefit analysis of leasing a qx60 every 36 months vs owing one for 10.5 years. Back of envelope analysis I did once said I would save maybe 10k over 10 years, not counting any major repair or time wasted in maintenance.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:05 pm

IngognitoUSA wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:27 pm

Cost of Ownership is high on all 3. Xc90 had too many issues after 5 years. Ml 350 drive like a car and fun to drive, I did not feel safe with that vehicle, too light. Qx60 is the newest I own with a lot of bells and whistles and a lot of neat safety features. By far, I feel safest in qx60, it drives like a truck, feels like a truck and if I hit someone with it, they will be toast.

Anyone here ever did a cost benefit analysis of leasing a qx60 every 36 months vs owing one for 10.5 years. Back of envelope analysis I did once said I would save maybe 10k over 10 years, not counting any major repair or time wasted in maintenance.
Is that the QX60 that weighs several hundred pounds less than ML350:) If I had to guess perception doesn't match reality and that your odds of walking away from the same accident in any of them is about the same. The new safety tech is nice but it is also available on pretty much all SUVs these days.

My back of the envelope math on a XC60 and RDX (both ~45k cars) came to roughly the same conclusion. There is about a 10-15k difference in depreciation. The buy and hold guy is buying a couple sets of tires (1k) a few more major services (60k, maybe 120k), and the risk of repair. You save money on taxes (in my hood that works out to about 3k over the life of the car) and insurance. I also ran the numbers and buying 3 years used was about another 500/year over buying new. Break it down by year and it doesn't seem to bad. As a lump sum it seems like a lot of money:)

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:34 pm

whatistiaa wrote:
We’ve been driving a 2003 Toyota Camry for a long time, but are ready to upgrade to a new car. We’ve already decided we will buy new. And we want a roomy SUV. And we’d like it to be as safe as possible. We’re considering things in the range of BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne, etc.
Why do you need the added space of an SUV? Why not a midsize sedan? Don' make the assumption that something is more comfortable just because its bigger. A VW GTI is far more comfortable than bigger cars like a Camry or Accord because of the better seats and proper driving position

If you're looking for comfortable seats, the BMW 5 series multi-contour seats are the same seats that are used in the X5 if you spec multi contour. The width of the 5 series is about 1.5 inches less than the x5 so sitting in the car you're really not going to notice any difference.

What you will notice is that the X5 weighs 1k lbs more, gets about 10mpg less, is relatively slow, is top heavy, doesn't handle as well or ride as smoothly, will require more maintenance because of the all wheel drive (i.e. if one tire goes, need to replace all).

I could go on, but if you have a need for an SUV, the ones you list are great vehicles, but I'd only buy an SUV if i needed it. The right sedan will feel more comfortable, drive better and will be cheaper to run and maintain.

As far as safety, pretty much any german car in the BMW 5, Mercedes E size range or the x5, Cayenne range will be safer than most cars on the road. If you were looking at a Toyota Highlander compared to an X5, there will be a huge difference due to the japanese cars using cheaper grades of steel and aluminum. X5 to Cayenne wont have much difference in safety so spend more time considering differences in comfort, style, performance etc

NYCguy

Post by NYCguy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:56 pm

I love the Cayenne. Having owned a few bimmers I did not like the X5.

I am also safety conscious and got it with adaptive cruise which provides for emergency braking I also boot lane change assist, which is great. LED lights are terrific too.

It is pricy to maintain.
If your out-go is greater than your income, your upkeep will be your DOWNFALL.

kerplunk

Post by kerplunk » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:57 pm

I own a 2016 Porsche Cayenne. Highly recommended. It checks all the boxes.

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:04 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:

Volvo XC90.

Mercedes GLE.

What about a Mercedes G Wagon?

Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:18 pm

If safety is paramount, then the Tesla Model X is the safest SUV ever created, and the only one ever to get a 5-star crash rating in every NHTSA category:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/13/tes ... ty-rating/

I don’t own one, but I’ve driven one, and it is a blast to drive. Makes all other SUVs seem like molasses trucks with steam engines.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:44 pm

BV3273 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:10 am
I’d look at the 6 seat layout Lexus GX460. Instead of bench seats it has two sets of captains chairs (they also make a model with bench seats as well). You can easily access the third row if need be. If not flip the seats down for more storage. I actually test drove one over the weekend. Drives nice and looks great. Plus dealing with the dealership has been a breeze.
Alexa9 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:53 pm
The only Luxury SUV I would buy would be a Lexus for long term reliability. It's consistently rated at the top for reliability. You can also buy used or CPO and have peace of mind that it should be reliable. I would definitely lease German Luxury or get an extended warranty and sell when it's up. I'm not that familiar with Volvo long term reliability but I would consider leasing or an extended warranty.
I have a well-used 2007 Lexus GX470, bought last year, and love it, highly recommend this line of SUV. It has very high mileage, and I have been taking it on long trips to the mountains over the past year (I bought it for the AWD traction control capabilities in snow / beefy v8 motor / luxury and safety) with no issues. I am hoping with proper care it will run another 100k. It is super comfortable, has all the bells and whistles, and the awd v8 is a beast to drive.
jayk238 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:40 pm
Dont own any but i like to window shop.
The q7 seems to consistently win awards and reviews. Its the best reviewed by consumer reports and caranddriver among others. I cant say what theyre actually like since ive never been in one
I will say, when I drive to the ski mountain and back, that the Audi Q5/7 SUVs are the most common high-end vehicles I see, hands down. See a lot of Range Rovers and MB and BMW x5, but the last couple years the Q5/7 line has really popped. I don't own one and never been in one, but just an observation from my road travels that I have noted. If / when the GX470 kicks the bucket, I will be looking at the Q5/7 on my short list.
"I love competition. And I want to win." R. Murdoch

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:17 pm

IngognitoUSA wrote:

QX60 leases well currently, but who knows 3 years from now?

Of course, you might want to try something different then...which is a big advantage of leasing.

Blue

Post by Blue » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:10 pm

We buy one year old Mercedes CPO which has unlimited mile warranty for one year after the new vehicle four year warranty. Some times dealers will throw in some prepaid maintenance plans. We search the Mercedes website for CPO vehicles with the safety features we require. I splurged this year and got the AMG GLE 63s - it’s a blast to drive.

Good luck -

Blue

Post by Blue » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:15 pm

Dendritic Tree wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:18 pm
If safety is paramount, then the Tesla Model X is the safest SUV ever created, and the only one ever to get a 5-star crash rating in every NHTSA category:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/13/tes ... ty-rating/

I don’t own one, but I’ve driven one, and it is a blast to drive. Makes all other SUVs seem like molasses trucks with steam engines.

But it hasn’t been tested by the IIHS or have real world driver fatality data like the Volvo and Mercedes brands. When the IIHS tested the Tesla model S it gave it a “poor” on headlights and only “acceptable” on small overlap testing.

knick17

Post by knick17 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:15 pm

I d go for the range rover. Even if I love BMW, the range rover is stunning!

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:57 pm

Blue wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:10 pm
We buy one year old Mercedes CPO which has unlimited mile warranty for one year after the new vehicle four year warranty. Some times dealers will throw in some prepaid maintenance plans. We search the Mercedes website for CPO vehicles with the safety features we require. I splurged this year and got the AMG GLE 63s - it’s a blast to drive.

Good luck -
We recently did something like this for our first "used" car, a just under one-year-old, <10k miles Volvo XC60.
(Previous cars were new Volvos.)

We were surprised with such an almost new car how much we saved.
We were lucky that we happened to find one with just the safety features we wanted, but without extras that we didn't want.
It has a longer warranty than the original owner had.

Best car purchase we've ever made. :happy
We'll probably always do this in the future.

IF you are interested in an XC90, some of the new model XC90's might be starting to be available, in the "2nd year" by now.
(We try to avoid "first year" vehicles of any redesigned or totally new car/model.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:14 am

We 2 looked at this last year and bought the Cadillac XT5 (Platinum with a factory installed trailer hitch)... Just shy of 20K miles now...

No regrets...

Just my $0.02.... Peace....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69

Lakeparty

Post by Lakeparty » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:20 am

My wife wanted the same thing-- safety for the fam, roomy for everyone (kids and stuff), luxury etc so we ended up with a fully loaded gmc yukon denali XL... the XL adds a ton of room. If you really want roomy I felt like that was the only option besides a (more fancy) cadillac version or a (less fancy) suburban version. All the foreign vehicles don't compare with available space inside.

queso

Post by queso » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:21 am

knick17 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:15 pm
I d go for the range rover. Even if I love BMW, the range rover is stunning!
I do love the redesigned ones - even the new Discovery is really nice looking. Unfortunately, they are bottom of the barrel as far as reliability goes. I would definitely buy one of them (not sure which model) if they were at least as reliable as their German competition.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:14 am

For those who trust Consumer Reports, Dec 2017 issue has predicted reliability ratings for 2018 cars which I imagine are based on past history.

Luxury Midsized SUVs:

Best - Audi Q7, Lexus RX and BMW X5 a close third
Worst - Volvo CX90 Tesla Model X

Luxury Large SUVs: (only two listed)

Best - Lexus LS
Worst - Cadillac Escalade

doon

Post by doon » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:58 pm

whatistiaa wrote:
Hi all,

Any recommendations, experiences, stories, etc. are greatly appreciated!
Check out
http://www.informedforlife.org/

They combine ratings from NHSTA and IIHS.
"Goal - Win the game before the need to retire"

whatistiaa

Post by whatistiaa » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:22 pm

randomguy wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:05 pm
IngognitoUSA wrote:

Is that the QX60 that weighs several hundred pounds less than ML350:) If I had to guess perception doesn't match reality and that your odds of walking away from the same accident in any of them is about the same. The new safety tech is nice but it is also available on pretty much all SUVs these days.

My back of the envelope math on a XC60 and RDX (both ~45k cars) came to roughly the same conclusion. There is about a 10-15k difference in depreciation. The buy and hold guy is buying a couple sets of tires (1k) a few more major services (60k, maybe 120k), and the risk of repair. You save money on taxes (in my hood that works out to about 3k over the life of the car) and insurance. I also ran the numbers and buying 3 years used was about another 500/year over buying new. Break it down by year and it doesn't seem to bad. As a lump sum it seems like a lot of money:)
Wow, again, I really appreciate everyone's responses. Now we are considering something we've never considered before: leasing a new car every 2-3 years.

Does anyone have any link to a site that has done these comparisons and shown their work? Or suggestions on what factors we need to consider in our calculations beyond cost of car + cost of maintenance vs cost of lease?

If your calculations are correct that leasing a new car every 3 years vs. owning that same car over 10ish years is just 10-15k more, then it would be a no-brainer for us to just lease.

whatistiaa

Post by whatistiaa » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi all,

Just wanted to give this a quick bump to see if anyone can help with cost of ownership comparisons between leasing and owning this type of SUV.

Thanks again! Really appreciate everyone's insights.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:50 am

Current lease deal on the 2017 QX60 (since that's what was referenced) is $399/mo for 39 months, with $3,599 due at signing. This is for an ultra-low mileage lease of 10,000 miles/year on a vehicle with a $44,095 sticker price. So let's do some math. Three of these leases would get you almost to the 10-year mark, so add it up:

Monthly payments (117): $46,683
Down payment/fees (3): $10,797
Total cost of leases: $57,480

Now for the purchase of the same vehicle, $44,095 is $13,385 less than the lease. BUT, at the 10-year mark, you still own an SUV with 100,000 miles worth roughly $11k. The QX60 wasn't available in 2007, but current prices for the smaller FX35 and larger QX56 from 2007 with well over 100k miles range from $8-13k, with most at around $11k.

So in the end, excluding things like maintenace (higher on long-term owned vehicles) and insurance (higher on leases), the difference over 10 years appears to be around $24k. The only way to get to the 10-15k range is to assume the 10 year old vehicle has no value. If you drive more than 10k miles/year, the leases get more expensive also.