Are there any unspoken rules to "keep in touch" with previous boss?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sksbog

Are there any unspoken rules to "keep in touch" with previous boss?

Post by sksbog » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:02 am

When I was leaving my previous job, my boss was very surprised that I am leaving the position. Although, he did not counter offer me the current position, he did repeatedly mentioned to me to "keep in touch" and "let me know in future if you need anything".

I did leave the firm, which added 2 hours of commute time to my current job. Due to this, I dropped out of my MBA program, temporarily, i hope so. But the work is better and lot to learn. Better package.

Like everyone, I am now in self-doubt, whether to contact back my previous boss and "keep in touch". Did I do the right thing by switching?

Thanks in advance.

tampaite

Re: Are there ant unspoken rules to "keep in touch" with previous boss?

Post by tampaite » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:09 am

sksbog wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:02 am
When I was leaving my previous job, my boss was very surprised that I am leaving the position. Although, he did not counter offer me the current position, he did repeatedly mentioned to me to "keep in touch" and "let me know in future if you need anything".
Just add him to LinkedIn and move-on with your career/life.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:11 am

My former boss and I go out to lunch together at least once a month. But we went out to lunch often before we stopped working together. We appreciate each others outlook and advice on life, politics, and family.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:14 am

i keep in touch with some of my previous bosses. in your situation.. there might have been the thought of a 2 hour commute isn't a comparable offer that they want to compete against.

Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:15 am

Until retirement, you should always maintain a list of people who will provide a positive job reference (especially former supervisors). It's also wise to keep in touch if that person might ever be hiring and you might ever want to work for them, whether at their current or future employer.

-Marylander1

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:18 am

I don't know what rules the ants might have, but it couldn't hurt to keep him in your informal network. From your OP I get the impression he thinks highly of you.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:33 am

I have never heard of an unspoken rule in a case like this. Normally one does what common sense, relationships and clues, and what your own judgement and preference tell you to do. It sounds in this case that the person is genuine and that it makes sense to have lunch every now and then.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:09 pm

That's what linkedin is for. I have five former bosses on linkedin. All on good terms. At times I have had to go back to them for recommendations (I've been in government and education) and that makes it easy to track them down as people change jobs and email addresses and such over time.

pepperz

Post by pepperz » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Cool part is you don’t have to view / treat him as a “boss” anymore. Take the opportunity to get to know him as a peer instead of boss-figure.

I know he said to let you know if he can help you in the future but keep in mind you may be in a position to help HIM as well if not just as a friend.

That’s how the best opportunities have manifested for me personally and professionally.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:15 pm

sksbog wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:02 am

I did leave the firm, which added 2 hours of commute time to my current job. Due to this, I dropped out of my MBA program, temporarily, i hope so. But the work is better and lot to learn. Better package.

Like everyone, I am now in self-doubt, whether to contact back my previous boss and "keep in touch". Did I do the right thing by switching?

Thanks in advance.
It is a very good idea to stay in touch. You never know when you will need a good job reference.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:21 pm

Depends completely on the individual and whether you want to stay in touch. How good of an employee you were, how good of a boss they were, how long you worked there, etc. I've never heard of anyone saying you should stay in touch unless you are friends. They are good for a reference and a backup plan if you want to work there again so I can see why you would stay in touch, but you did leave for a reason.

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:50 pm

This doesn't have to be a big deal. Drop them a short email every December wishing them happy holidays, mentioning one or two interesting things that happened to you that year, and asking how they're doing. Feel free to do more if you'd like, but an annual email is certainly sufficient to keep the contact going in case you (or your former boss) ever want to contact the other for advice, help, or to share an opportunity.

badbreath

Post by badbreath » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:08 pm

I have never spoken to a ant but anyway yes always good to keep them as a contact you never know who your next boss could be. Could be a old one if they also move and try to build a team.
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

iceport

Post by iceport » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:36 pm

My own unspoken rule is to be genuine. If you would want to keep in touch if there were no connection to job prospects, then keep in touch. If you would otherwise have no interest in maintaining contact, then it seems phony to me to force yourself to keep in touch only for the possibility of some career advantage. If you leave on good terms, and discuss the possibility of a future job connection, that should be enough to keep your option for future contact open, without pretending to be buddies. But that's just me.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

Mel Lindauer

Re: Are there any unspoken rules to "keep in touch" with previous boss?

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:25 pm

NOTE: Thread title typo corrected by Mod Mel.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:33 pm

Send him a Christmas card.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:42 pm

Marylander1 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:15 am
Until retirement, you should always maintain a list of people who will provide a positive job reference (especially former supervisors). It's also wise to keep in touch if that person might ever be hiring and you might ever want to work for them, whether at their current or future employer.

-Marylander1
This. Follow him on LinkedIn and like or comment on his posts every once in a while. If you're near the old office see if he wants to grab lunch or get a beer. I got my current job because I kept in touch (once or twice a year phone call or email) with someone from a job that I had over 10 years ago.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:42 am

I have stayed in touch with my last boss I had a MegaCorp., since 1999. Best boss I ever had. Supported me when I needed someone to run interference, otherwise left me alone to do my job. Much respect on both sides. After my accident he visited me in the hospital, allegedly to give me my annual evaluation. I thought it odd at the time because everyone pretty well knew I wasn't coming back.

Turns out after the evaluation, he gave me a raise. An evaluation was necessary, so that's why he did one. The raise increased my LTD benefits, and also added to my pension, which was based on highest five years salary and number of years service. My new salary was carried forward, and became the basis of my pension. So, he helped me greatly.

He gave me a call when I was recuperating from my broken legs this past May, he read about my condition on Facebook. We spoke close to an hour, catching up with each other's family and such.

He and his wife come to our annual Christmas party when they can make it, they are coming this year, in fact.

Great boss, perhaps an even better man.

No spoken or unspoken rules, just mutual respect and friendship.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:03 pm

Several of my coworkers left the company over the years and I stay in touch with some of them. I've had pleasant conversations/lunches with some and awkward with others especially the ones who pump me for information.

TravelforFun

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:41 pm

If he's a friend you should keep in touch. If he's not, he likely wants to recruit you.

Post by 2015 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:43 pm

Marylander1 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:15 am

-Marylander1
+1
Excellent advice. FWIW, I used Linkedin only briefly during my career only to find it worthless. Relationships are "high touch", and as such, I've always remained in contact the old fashioned way, by having a real (versus electronic) relationship with people--that is, caring enough about them to want to call, have lunch with, or email. The absolute best thing to ever come out of my entire working career was the wonderful people I was fortunate enough to work for and with. Personally, I would consider "following" someone electronically a crass, poor substitute. YMMV.

beyou

Post by beyou » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:03 pm

Do not agree. Linked in helps to stay more current than would nornally be feasible. Especially in this case. If I suddenly had a very long commute, I would not have time forface to face lunches very often. A phone call is a good substitute, but info on linkedin may give you the prompt and a topic to catch up on. It's not one or the other.