Should I keep the new iPad I bought or return it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
harrington

Should I keep the new iPad I bought or return it?

Post by harrington » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:37 am

I bought a new iPad yesterday at Target on sale for $249.00 and now I can't decide if I really need it or if it will just become another device I won't use after a few months. I have a MacBook and an iPhone 5S which I use both all day and evening. I've never owned one before and have lived without for this long. I talk to many people that tell me once the novelty wears off I probably won't use it much. So to all the tablet owners out there do you use yours or is it sitting in a drawer someplace?

investing1012

Re: Should I keep the new iPad I bought or return it?

Post by investing1012 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:42 am

I put mine on my treadmill and use it every day

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:44 am

harrington wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:37 am
I bought a new iPad yesterday at Target on sale for $249.00 and now I can't decide if I really need it or if it will just become another device I won't use after a few months. I have a MacBook and an iPhone 5S which I use both all day and evening. I've never owned one before and have lived without for this long. I talk to many people that tell me once the novelty wears off I probably won't use it much. So to all the tablet owners out there do you use yours or is it sitting in a drawer someplace?
Up to you. A 10.5” iPad Pro has become my regular computer. I only use my 2012 era MacBook if I need to do something complicated in Excel where I need a mouse.

iPhone 5S screen is too small to be used for any medium or heavy reading.

Lonestarz

Post by Lonestarz » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:51 am

Do you have kids? We have an iPad for them and I have used it twice (show parents something and watch a movie when sick)

If th iPad didn’t generate requests to watch movies - I might work it into my routeine but you have to evaluate your lifestyle to see how much time you spend sitting around the house but don’t want to get the computer (or if you take lots of trips out to the cafe or something, how organized you are and if you will remember to pack it)

I’m minimalist and prefer chatting with people if possible so I’d rather have a phone as a backup. As for around the house, it’s in my pocket and not something I have to make a mental note to bring with me.

Biglaw Investor

Post by Biglaw Investor » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:55 am

harrington wrote:
So to all the tablet owners out there do you use yours or is it sitting in a drawer someplace?
What's more important is whether you'll use it!

I have an iPad Pro 12 inch and an iPad Air 2. I love and use BOTH all the time but they're not for everyone. I'd try it out for awhile and return it if you don't like it.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:57 am

I use my iPad constantly. I am using it right now - it is my primary device at home; I only use our Windows PC for Quicken, the occasional Word or Excel use or if I need to print something.

harrington

Post by harrington » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:59 am

Biglaw Investor wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:55 am
harrington wrote:
So to all the tablet owners out there do you use yours or is it sitting in a drawer someplace?

I have an iPad Pro 12 inch and an iPad Air 2. I love and use BOTH all the time but they're not for everyone. I'd try it out for awhile and return it if you don't like it.
I think once I open it I own it.

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:59 am

iPhone 5S? Should have upgraded that.

The iPad will be an upgrade from looking at the small phone screen and probably not hurt your eyes as much.

harrington

Post by harrington » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:01 am

mortfree wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:59 am
I did.....I just put a new battery in it :D

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:07 am

Biglaw Investor wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:55 am
harrington wrote:

Using my iPad right now. Love it.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:09 am

I had an iPad up until about a year ago and ended up selling it. For me, it was a redundant device; it didn't offer anything that I couldn't already do with either my Macbook Air or phone.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:12 am

to begin, why did you buy it? If you didn't have an idea why you wanted it, you weren't seeking it out, reviewing the features, etc. then it sounds like an impulse purchase. The next question is, do you do this with other things? If not fine. If yes, you might want to explore that unless you can afford to spend impulsively and it won't affect your life/retirement, other financial goals.

The answer's pretty simple. You may not need the money since you spent it (though plenty of people make impulse purchases with money they can't afford to spend so I don't want to assume). If you don't need the money you will have to find uses for it. If you find uses for it, does it equal/justify the money spent? If no, return it. If yes, keep it.

If on the other hand, you need the money more than the ipad (you shouldn't have spent the money), return it (goes without saying).
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:17 am

I think the forum does not allow us to give medical advice ... especially if it is psychological.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:18 am

when I used to own one it was def. an impulse purchase. I had a thyroid disease that was untreated- one of the side effects was impulsivity.

I bring this up because now I actually would find it useful if I were to use it- Im a resident and walking in and out of patient rooms in a clinic is terrible. Also, the pro versions are powerful enough that it could do most of the computer stuff. I too have an iphone (7) and a macbook pro 15' and use them all the time.

However, I would definitely buy an ipad if I could afford it now for productivity- but Ill get one next year after residency.

So it can either be useful or useless depending on your own personal situation.

My wife uses it as a laptop and loves it- its great for cooking and its great for word processing etc.

harrington

Post by harrington » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:20 am

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:12 am
to begin, why did you buy it? If you didn't have an idea why you wanted it, you weren't seeking it out, reviewing the features, etc. then it sounds like an impulse purchase. The next question is, do you do this with other things? If not fine. If yes, you might want to explore that unless you can afford to spend impulsively and it won't affect your life/retirement, other financial goals.

The answer's pretty simple. You may not need the money since you spent it (though plenty of people make impulse purchases with money they can't afford to spend so I don't want to assume). If you don't need the money you will have to find uses for it. If you find uses for it, does it equal/justify the money spent? If no, return it. If yes, keep it.

If on the other hand, you need the money more than the ipad (you shouldn't have spent the money), return it (goes without saying).
Impulse purchase. Not a money issue at all.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:21 am

If you browse on your phone or use any apps the ipad will be much easier to use.

For $249, I’d keep it. If you don’t use it, sell it for $190 to somebody.

JT

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:35 am

I use mine everyday. That is why I bought it. But I am not you.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:52 am

harrington wrote:
I don't understand why you need an iPad if you have a MacBook.

My philosophy on returns is, the sooner the better. You wait around delaying your decision, and then you commit in your mind to returning it and can't find the receipt. Although stores nowadays are pretty good on returns, I always feel better if the device looks as if it hasn't been used much. Sometimes there are fine-print rules about restocking charges, and store credits versus refunds, and so forth.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Maya1234

Post by Maya1234 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:05 pm

I literally use my iPad every day for hours. As to why one needs it AND a laptop ... well I don't want to lie in bed and read a book with my laptop or read the newspaper on it while I'm sipping coffee At the table Or as I'm doing now surfing the web on the couch. I want something I can hold in my hand that's about the size of a paper equivalent. I find a phone too small to really enjoy reading or watching on. I love my iPad. Love love love.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:05 pm

I use mine constantly. It is my primary Kindle ebook reader, it is used for email and reading web sites (usually Bogleheads :wink: ), and it also hosts the authentication apps for my Fidelity, Google, Intuit, Amazon and GoDaddy accounts, and I use it every morning to listen to daily podcasts around the house. While I'm travelling I use it to watch movies or TV episodes which I have downloaded to it.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:14 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:52 am
harrington wrote:
I don't understand why you need an iPad if you have a MacBook.

My philosophy on returns is, the sooner the better. You wait around delaying your decision, and then you commit in your mind to returning it and can't find the receipt. Although stores nowadays are pretty good on returns, I always feel better if the device looks as if it hasn't been used much. Sometimes there are fine-print rules about restocking charges, and store credits versus refunds, and so forth.
An iPad can function as a one handed device and does not need to “sit” anywhere. A MacBook is a two handed device that works best when sitting on a semi level surface. Both useful devices but with very different use cases and form factors.

Maya1234

Post by Maya1234 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:54 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:52 am
harrington wrote:

Target, where the OP purchased is really great about returns. You don’t even need a receipt if you paid with a CC. They can use your cc to look up the receipt instantly. If you used a Target cc which gives you an instant 5 percent off ( no fuss no muss) you have an extended time to return even electronics. Look up their policy though so you know exactly how much time.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:04 pm

harrington wrote:
You haven't said why you bought it in the first place. Give that some thought and it may help you decide whether to return it. If, for example, it was just a novelty, then return it. If you can't see a way it will fit into your lifestyle or complement what you already have, return it.

I bought a mini-iPad a few years ago because of its portability and use it nearly every day.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

SeekingAPlan

Post by SeekingAPlan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:11 pm

I bought a Kindle Fire tablet last Christmas just to see if I liked using a tablet. I use it everyday and it was well worth the $30. Not sure if the cost was higher like the iPad tho.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:04 pm

MacBook Pro and IPhone and IPad. I paid nearly 1k for the iPad and never use it.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:07 pm

I find an iPad to be a fun "want" more than a "need." It can't replace a computer for some people or a phone but it's a fun toy. For people that it can replace a computer it is great while traveling for media consumption and games for the kids. If I had to choose, I might consider a Chromebook over an iPad too.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:29 pm

Count me in the "I use it constantly" camp. I use my iPad Air 2 every day to read. I use it for light web browsing. I use it for language study (especially for Chinese, where the characters are often too small on my phone). I use it for playing music in the background. I use it for watching videos. Once in a blue moon, I will play a game. It is invaluable when I travel.

I would like to upgrade to the new 10.5" iPad Pro, but I *don't* think I would get enough additional use out of it to justify the cost. None of those activities I just listed requires the horsepower of the Pro.

The new entry level iPad, though, is a bargain at that price.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:36 pm

I've used my iPad3 every day since I bought it in March 2012. It's never in a drawer. This post was composed on said iPad. If/when it finally quits working or becomes obsolete I'll buy the latest model.

westcoast

Post by westcoast » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:17 pm

DW and I each have one, we use them everyday mostly to read an surf the web. When they are out dated we will get the next upgrade. Can’t imagine not having one. We also have an iMac and two I phones. I would keep the one you bought.

NDS

Post by NDS » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:46 pm

Use my iPad 4 pretty much to battery drain every day. Hardly ever use my iPhone aside from making calls. Very much want to upgrade to new iPad, but now that it's hard to find iPad Air 2 where main thing is screen improvement, haven't seen a "worth it" price point for iPad Pro (~$300-400).

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:58 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:04 pm
MacBook Pro and IPhone and IPad. I paid nearly 1k for the iPad and never use it.
I did the same thing - impulse bought the $249 iPad at Target yesterday and then returned it today! iPad is a little better than a MacBook/Air/Pro if for a plane ride. Otherwise I have no legit justification for the iPad other than liking shiny new technology items.

I require one good Apple device with a real keyboard. If I had no restrictions on what I could spend I'd have an iMac on a desk, MacBook for working/writing remotely, and an iPad for content consumption on the couch & airplane. Then I'd have a Windows computer for gaming!

As it stands, I have a base MacBook Pro because it can do all of the things the other devices can do including hooking up to a large monitor if need be. It may be occasionally more convenient to use the iPad, but unless I was going to draw with the pencil the MacBook is literally all I would ever need.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:17 pm

Sitting on the couch watching TV and perusing bogleheads and etc. using my iPad. Much more enjoyable than on my iPhone 6 Plus. The increased landscape provides me significant benefit including reading books. Most recent purchase was "Can I Retire Yet" by Darrow Kirpatrick. Good price point on your iPad.

Monk53

Post by Monk53 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:41 pm

I' d keep it. I think once you figure out how it can work for you, it'll be a go to device. I have 1 Ipad in my detached garage for when I need to look up something. It is also tied to my Iphone 5 so I can answer the phone on the Ipad. Phone usually stays in the house charging. I have a newer Ipad that stays in the house between where I watch TV, the bedroom, and the kitchen. I really like not having a keyboard in the way. I read the morning news while eating breakfast. It's also tied to the phone. I have a mini with LTE that travels with me, also tied to the phone. My eyes aren't great and a larger screen is really nice. Add a contact to one and all update as does calendar changes. It's easier to hold sitting in an easy chair than a laptop. I like the aspect ratio better than a widescreen. I don't even use a widescreen monitor on my desktop. You can hotspot your phone and use the Ipad traveling. You got it, play with it.

jeffh19

Post by jeffh19 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:25 am

I really dont use my Pro much at all after I got my MBP....but assuming you're in a good financial situation....just keep it.

90% of the use mine gets is as an alarm clock lol...but it is handy to have to use in bed when you dont want a laptop on you but something bigger than a phone, or something to listen to thats portable and louder than a phone or for watching something else besides whats already on your TV if you wanna watch 2 games at once or whatever.

250 bucks aint much at all and you can keep it and use it for years

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:50 am

Last year I found a mini iPad at a great price and struggled if I really needed it. Have a Macbook Pro 13" & iPhone SE. Family talked me into it. So glad I did. I use all 3 everyday. The iPad goes with me on trips. I have books, movies, maps & podcasts loaded on it. Takes great pictures too. Yes, of all 3 devices it's the one I could do without. But I'd sure miss it.
Too soon old, too late smart.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:50 am

Really depends on how much you'll use it. I use mine so much that I just replaced my still-functioning Air with the new 10.5" Pro. I use it literally every day for email, video podcasts, and reading the books for my MBA courses. On short trips I bring it instead of my laptop.

The original iPad Mini I have mounted in my car is starting to get long in the tooth, so I'm thinking about replacing it with a MIni 4 before that line is discontinued. It likewise gets used every day, also for video podcasts (don't judge me!) or music, and Waze.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:27 am

Approximately 90 percent of my reading these days is digital - books and magazines (downloaded from library) is done via Ipad. Also they are primary device used for reading in bed. Both our ipads are used every day.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:46 am

I rarely use mine - use my Chromebook for everything include reading books. Otherwise I use my Surface 3.
I have too many other devices I don't use!

tampaite

Post by tampaite » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:11 am

harrington wrote:
If this is the only tablet in the house, keep it otherwise return it.

harrington

Post by harrington » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:22 pm

Update: I didn’t realize I could open an iPad and still return it if I didn’t like it for whatever reason and I must say I absolutely love it. I haven’t used my laptop since purchasing this tablet. Well worth the $250. Thanks everyone.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:39 pm

I use iPad everywhere. I don't use laptop much. Depend on what you do.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:08 pm

for that price, and the utility of the device...keep it!

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:15 pm

I have a top of the line MacBook Pro, iPhone X, but my iPad I use by far more than all other items.

raamakoti

Post by raamakoti » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:21 pm

keep it - app interface is on iOS devices are much better than any other platform I used. Nothing came close, especially the apps I use.

Chris001122

Post by Chris001122 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:33 pm

I had a period where I did not use my iPad and it sat. Later, I got a Samsung note tab a, Under 300 dollars and has a pen with wrist rejection. I use it in bed, kitchen table, it's useful. Sold my iPad when I boycotted apple a year ago.
"It's always been a mistake to bet against the United States since 1776." - Warren Buffett

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:49 am

I got an iPad Mini about six months ago.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=220350

Far and away its most frequent use is as an e-reader.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=224406

I can take it with me when I leave the house, but I only do that if I will be waiting somewhere and plan to read. It doesn't have cell capability, so to use it as an internet device I need to have wifi wherever I am.

So far I really haven't found much else to do with it. Occasionally take pictures or video. At home I use the desktop computer. I haven't found any games I want to play on it.
Last edited by Earl Lemongrab on Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:34 pm

I use an iPad and Chromebook interchangeably for mostly web browsing. The latter keyboard is more useful when I need to enter a lot of text, but for mainly reading, the lighter iPad is preferable. Unfortunately, both are becoming less desirable to use because the web development has been heading towards these self playing video ads. I was avoiding using ad blocking, but they've become such a nuisance that it's become a necessity for me, though the ad blocking has only moderate effect.

I miss the good old days of simple text articles, Ad Words and static banners (1990's?).

Anyway, that said, I use my iPad a lot. It's my go to device for video apps (youtube, kid watches Disney Channel, etc.) and for quick reference lookups (words, recipes, questions, etc.). The latter might be replaced with Alexa, but I haven't begun down that road yet.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:17 pm

I have 2 iPads.An IPad Air 2 with cellular which I take with me on vacation and when we go out.I have an IPad Pro 12.9 inch which I use as my computer at home.I prefer using the 9 inch screen instead of my phone when away from home.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:33 pm

harrington wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:01 am
mortfree wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:59 am
I did.....I just put a new battery in it :D
I strongly recommend upgrading to the iPhone SE.

It is the same size as the 5S but the innards and camera are far more powerful. They constantly run specials where you can get it for less than $150.

I upgraded both my mother-in-law and mother from the 5S to the SE and they are very happy

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:39 pm

My husband gave me his iPad when he upgraded, but I never use it. I have a Macbook Air and a Moto G5 Plus, both of which I use daily. I would return it.