Cell Phone "family plans" Sprint for 4

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dm200

Cell Phone "family plans" Sprint for 4

Post by dm200 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:27 pm

My wife and I have 2 Sprint oldstyle "dumb" cellphones (one account going back decades) and pay about $75/month -

This was not a bad deal in the past - but not smart phones, etc.

Over Thanksgiving family gathering, discussing his Sprint smartphone capabilities, etc. - our adult son indicated that there is a Sprint "family" plan for four that could save him (and his fiancé) money AND get my wife and I smartphone capabilities, unlimited calls, texts, etc. for under $150 per month.

From things I read, it seems that these "family" plans for (at least) four - offer very significant cost benefits. My wife's and my account and the phones on Sprint go back years, so I doubt we have contractual "issues". We would go to our son's account/plan - and he would convert to the 4 phone plan. Our son also indicates that he can get some additional discount in relation to his employer.

Any things to be wary of?

HIinvestor

Re: Cell Phone "family plans" Sprint for 4

Post by HIinvestor » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:30 pm

We have a 2 line plan on T-Mobile for $60 including ALL fees and taxes, unlimited text, data and talking, plus some international texting and data at no extra charge. You have to have at least one person on the plan age 55 or older. I have a plan with D and H has a plan with S. It's the cheapest all inclusive plan we've had and there is NO throttling of the data speed!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:56 pm

HIinvestor wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:30 pm
We have a 2 line plan on T-Mobile for $60 including ALL fees and taxes, unlimited text, data and talking, plus some international texting and data at no extra charge. You have to have at least one person on the plan age 55 or older. I have a plan with D and H has a plan with S. It's the cheapest all inclusive plan we've had and there is NO throttling of the data speed!
seems like a real deal!!

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:14 pm

It's the best deal we've found that is all inclusive and has no limits and no throttling, plus no excess charges. So far, we've been very happy. Taxes and fees have a way of constantly increasing, so we are pleased that it's $60 with no extra add-ons. It's supposed to be good "forever" and you pre-pay month to month. If you don't want to have a credit card on file and pre-pay then it's $70 for the 2 lines.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:21 pm

My brother switched from AT&T to Cricket wireless (uses AT&T network) and pays $35/month for unlimited calling, unlimited texting and 5GB/month of LTE data. 2 lines on this plan would cost $70. 4 lines on this plan would cost $110/month with the group save discount. Crickets plans charges include all taxes and fees. My wife and I are also on cricket but we use a higher plan that allows for free roaming in Canada/Mexico as we travel to Canada very often. We have done road trips across the US, BC, Yukon and Alaska with cricket and are happy with the service.

Cricket Page showing plans and group save:
https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans
Wiki

MrJones

Post by MrJones » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:27 pm

5 lines with unlimited everything at Sprint is $100 a month. Very good deal IMHO.

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plans/un ... -plan.html

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:36 pm

As far as I know, the T-Mobile plan has no limits on the hotspot use or tethering. The Sprint plan appears to limit hotspot to 10gb. Hotspot is an important feature for S and may also be for D. We have better T-Mobile reception than Sprint.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:50 pm

MrJones wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:27 pm
5 lines with unlimited everything at Sprint is $100 a month. Very good deal IMHO.

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plans/un ... -plan.html
Sure does.. Will ask my son about it..

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:25 am

Please be sure to read the fine print on any deal. The sprint deal rate is thru 1/2019, I believe. They will throttle speed after 1st 10gb of data, I believe. My kids don’t want their data speeds throttled.

mxs

Post by mxs » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:37 am

There are tons of options out there. It just depends on what network you want and if you want to have a physical store to go to. Total Wireless for instance uses Verizon's network (usually considered the best, ATT being a close second) and charges $100 ($95 with auto bill) for 4 lines and 25 GB shared data.

topos

Post by topos » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:02 am

The Sprint plan appears to limit hotspot to 10gb. As far as I know, the T-Mobile plan has no limits on the hotspot use or tethering
While T-Mobile does not limit the hotspot use on the T-Mobile one unlimited plan, the speed is limited to 3G, whch means 512 Mbs max. This is really slow. To get 4G hotspot speed for up to 10 GB of data, the Oneplus extra plan is required. That adds $10 to the cost of the plan and make it comparable to Sprint offer for Hotspot.

Total Wireless for instance uses Verizon's network (usually considered the best..
Total Wireless speed is capped to 5 Mbs, as every other MVNO on Verizon Network. That is significantly slower than any other network. Cricket limits max speed to 8 Mbs. Boost Mobile (sprint network) or MetroPCS (T-Mobile network) do not put any speed cap.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:31 am

There's a clear split these days. AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, Tmobile have old, expensive, add fees plans that rip you off. Republic, Cricket and the like use the system of the big boys but with no contract, no added fees an reasonably priced phones. When my son's phone crapped out (cricket) we went to a cricket store and bought a new one for $20. Our plan for 4 of us is $100 and I believe at this point, we're at 4G each and once that's reached, you're simply throttled back. No rip off fees for overages like AT&T has (oh, we noticed you went over your data 3 hours before the new month so we conveniently added 1G for $10).

When I changed jobs, I needed to get myself on a plan so we used the opportunity to look and switch. All of the big guys were $250 plus fees for 4 of us. Such a rip off. And this was with a corporate AT&T plan. I've been quite happy paying $100 with zero added rip off fees for 4 smart phones.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

mxs

Post by mxs » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:22 pm

topos wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:02 am
Total Wireless for instance uses Verizon's network (usually considered the best..
Total Wireless speed is capped to 5 Mbs, as every other MVNO on Verizon Network. That is significantly slower than any other network. Cricket limits max speed to 8 Mbs. Boost Mobile (sprint network) or MetroPCS (T-Mobile network) do not put any speed cap.
I just did a speed test and got 13/3 Mbps with less than full connection. I think they are less throttled than you think.

Update. It seems all Tracfone Verizon MVNO's are no longer throttled. Total Wireless is a Tracfone company.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:12 pm

So far, a month into the 4 phone "family" sprint plan - worked out well. We all have unlimited calls, unlimited texts, unlimited data (but not unlimited hotspot), free HULU. DW and I got new smart phones replacing the dumb phones we had. Son got the first bill and it looks like there are some startup fees and adjustments - but will settle in about $125 a month TOTAL. Even better if we find a 5th user (FREE). DW and I will pay a little less per month. Son and fiancée will pay about $75 a month instead of the previous $175 per month.

I love the FREE HULU - can use both on smart phone or desktop.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Hiinvestor:
With that T-Mobile plan is it possible for you to use your hotspot to stream. Do you even need a home internet plan other than your phone plan?

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:41 pm

mxs wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:22 pm
I just did a speed test and got 13/3 Mbps with less than full connection. I think they are less throttled than you think.

Update. It seems all Tracfone Verizon MVNO's are no longer throttled. Total Wireless is a Tracfone company.
AFAIK they're all metered plans (Tracfone & Total). Not sure why they would want to throttle you if you're paying as you go for data. Are there unlimited plans I'm not aware of?

Road2Freedom

Post by Road2Freedom » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:13 am

dm200 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:12 pm
So far, a month into the 4 phone "family" sprint plan - worked out well. We all have unlimited calls, unlimited texts, unlimited data (but not unlimited hotspot), free HULU. DW and I got new smart phones replacing the dumb phones we had. Son got the first bill and it looks like there are some startup fees and adjustments - but will settle in about $125 a month TOTAL. Even better if we find a 5th user (FREE). DW and I will pay a little less per month. Son and fiancée will pay about $75 a month instead of the previous $175 per month.

I just changed our family of 3 to the same plan that I thought took us from a base of $180 to $145/mo ($130 with $5 auto pay discount per phone). The new plan gave added unlimited minutes (had 1500 anytime which was rarely an issue) and 10GB mobile hotspot. I didn't upgrade phones and like the fact there's no contract.

Looked up my first bill and it is somehow $91.34. There are a ton of credits so I suppose it will probably bump up next month.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 am

Road2Freedom wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:13 am
dm200 wrote:
I just changed our family of 3 to the same plan that I thought took us from a base of $180 to $145/mo ($130 with $5 auto pay discount per phone). The new plan gave added unlimited minutes (had 1500 anytime which was rarely an issue) and 10GB mobile hotspot. I didn't upgrade phones and like the fact there's no contract.
Looked up my first bill and it is somehow $91.34. There are a ton of credits so I suppose it will probably bump up next month.
Yes - once the dust settles on the transition, my son says he will do autopay and that will be $5 per phone less per month.

Three of the four users have gotten new phones. DW and I got Moto 4 - $6 per month each.

From what I understand, up to five phones cost no more - so with 3, you might be on the lookout for two more trustworthy friends/relatives/acquaintances to share two more phones on your plan.

Our son is on the lookout for one more - but none is apparent. You do have to be careful - even with unlimited calls/texts/data - because a user could run up other charges and you would be on the hook.

What makes our plan even better is that our son will get a Sprint discount because of his employer's deal with Sprint. While he is not overall financially "wise", on things like this - he is very good.

nyclon

Post by nyclon » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:23 am

dm200 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 am
Road2Freedom wrote:
dm200 wrote:
Yes - once the dust settles on the transition, my son says he will do autopay and that will be $5 per phone less per month.

Three of the four users have gotten new phones. DW and I got Moto 4 - $6 per month each.

From what I understand, up to five phones cost no more - so with 3, you might be on the lookout for two more trustworthy friends/relatives/acquaintances to share two more phones on your plan.

Our son is on the lookout for one more - but none is apparent. You do have to be careful - even with unlimited calls/texts/data - because a user could run up other charges and you would be on the hook.

What makes our plan even better is that our son will get a Sprint discount because of his employer's deal with Sprint. While he is not overall financially "wise", on things like this - he is very good.
After 10 years with at&t I just changed to cricket. Unlimited data, minutes and texting for $100 with all taxes and fees for 4 lines. Very happy so far.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:44 am

use a mvno like Ting.

Road2Freedom

Post by Road2Freedom » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:09 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 am
Road2Freedom wrote:
dm200 wrote:

I don't believe our offer is quite as good as your son's. This is the cost per line under our plan:

Unlimited Talk, Text and Data. Line 1: $65; Line 2: $45; Lines 3-10: $35; Lines 11-99: $30. Unlimited Anytime Minutes. Unlimited Messaging. HD Streaming. 10GB Mobile Hotspot. International Text from US. Sprint Global Roaming. Eligible for $5 per line/per month AutoPay discount on lines 1-10.

I get an additional $5/mo off the bill for being a USAA member. Not much but I'll take it.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:26 pm

I don't believe our offer is quite as good as your son's. This is the cost per line under our plan:
Unlimited Talk, Text and Data. Line 1: $65; Line 2: $45; Lines 3-10: $35; Lines 11-99: $30. Unlimited Anytime Minutes. Unlimited Messaging. HD Streaming. 10GB Mobile Hotspot. International Text from US. Sprint Global Roaming. Eligible for $5 per line/per month AutoPay discount on lines 1-10.
I get an additional $5/mo off the bill for being a USAA member. Not much but I'll take it.
He says this plan is $60 line 1, $40 line 2, $0 lines 3-5. Then, he says, $5 off per line for autopay. Free HULU - both on smartphone and laptop or desktop is a real valued feature.

Road2Freedom

Post by Road2Freedom » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:17 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:26 pm
He says this plan is $60 line 1, $40 line 2, $0 lines 3-5. Then, he says, $5 off per line for autopay. Free HULU - both on smartphone and laptop or desktop is a real valued feature.
Interesting. I had the option of adding Hulu but wasn't sure if it was free for a promotional period. Didn't feel like messing with it and having an unexpected charge down the road. Funny enough, the option I took only went down after my wife's and son's phone contracts expired. Prior to that, it was the same price as the old plan I had. Only checked it again because we had someone from AT&T trying to switch us over.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Road2Freedom wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:17 pm
dm200 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:26 pm
Interesting. I had the option of adding Hulu but wasn't sure if it was free for a promotional period. Didn't feel like messing with it and having an unexpected charge down the road. Funny enough, the option I took only went down after my wife's and son's phone contracts expired. Prior to that, it was the same price as the old plan I had. Only checked it again because we had someone from AT&T trying to switch us over.
Yes - hulu and sprint can be confusing. I see ads and promotions where it is not free - then ones where it is. My phone/account was set up (with link my son received) very easily, but he is still trying to get my wife's free HULU working for her. There do seem to be several different Sprint low cost plans.

You are also correct that, rightly or wrongly, there can be unexpected surprises down the road. You have to watch the monthly bills carefully. I am sure our son will do that :)

mxs

Post by mxs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:53 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:41 pm
mxs wrote:

AFAIK they're all metered plans (Tracfone & Total). Not sure why they would want to throttle you if you're paying as you go for data. Are there unlimited plans I'm not aware of?
Page plus has an unlimited plan for $55 but I don't know if it is throttled. US Mobile has unthrottled unlimited for $65. I don't use enough data to consider those plans, but they seem a little expensive to me.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:14 am

mxs wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:53 pm
inbox788 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:41 pm
mxs wrote:

Page plus has an unlimited plan for $55 but I don't know if it is throttled. US Mobile has unthrottled unlimited for $65. I don't use enough data to consider those plans, but they seem a little expensive to me.
Thanks, but I was mainly asking about Tracfone and Total. They don't provide any unlimited, even low speed. There's no such thing as unlimited, since they all limit something eventually, and when were looking for at plans over $50, you might just go with the carriers directly: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-phone ... 953-3.html ($60 sprint plan throttles after 23MB)
https://www.usmobile.com/plans
The US Mobile plan throttles after 16GB, which is about the lowest I've seen. You begin to compare them to the metered plans with unlimited slow speed like Mint (10GB @ $25-30; https://www.mintsim.com/plans/ ) or Straighttalk (10GB @ $45; https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal ... rviceplans ).

The comparative price is around $75 for 2 lines, and it's hard to beat the discounted prices for 3rd and 4th lines on a family plan and the amount of data they provide. Cricket Unlimited 2 Plan is probably the lowest cost at $100 for 4 lines, but it's not high speed by some peoples determination (3 mbps; 22 GB).
https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans