Target Pre-pay phones on Thanksgiving in store issues

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mxs

Target Pre-pay phones on Thanksgiving in store issues

Post by mxs »

I went out on Thanksgiving for the first time ever specifically looking for the iPhone SE locked with Total Wireless from Target for $100 (normally $350 - $400 unlocked, $130 - $160 locked). Here is what I went through...

I got into a cell phone line and I was roughly the 10th person in line. The line moved quickly as they were taking appointments to start selling post pay phones and add them to plans an hour after doors opened. When I got to the front of the line, I asked for the iPhone SE from Total Wireless. I was told "we aren't handling pre-pay phones, you can come back tomorrow morning." I explained to them that the pre-pay phone took less work on their part and I just needed the phone box so I could checkout. I then was told that they could help me when the appointments started, and someone would get the phone from their safe. So, I waited. Another customer was waiting for the same phone ( two of them in fact ) and was being a much squeakier wheel than me. After they asked at least four times about the phone or if they needed to form a line somewhere for that phone and about 45 minutes had passed what appeared to be a manager came and took the keys to the safe and got all the Total Wireless I phones from the safe (three SE's and two 6's total). I got the last SE they had.

There seemed to be a huge disconnect between regular Target employees and Target Tech employees. Target Tech apparently controls all the phones, but they only had two workers there. There was a large merchandise cage full of iPads and earphones for iPhones by the electronics registers being handled by a Target employee that would have been a great place for the pre-pay phones, but they kept them in the back safe unaccessible.

I feel like had myself and the other customer not spoken up, they were not going to sell that item even though it was listed in the ad and stock was available. It took much less time to sell than post-pay phones did as it was essentially rung up as any other item in the store would have been. I don't know if this was nearly false advertising or something similar to bait and switch, but it was at best poor preparation/communication/training. I felt like a second rate customer as this item was not of their concern at all.

Should I have done something differently? Any similar experiences?

First world problem, I know. At least I did get the phone.
navyitaly

Re: Target Pre-pay phones on Thanksgiving in store issues

Post by navyitaly »

Target cell phone company is a contractor. They don’t work for Target. They do things their way.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

I found the employees at Target who helped me get my phone to be a significant step down in professionalism and organization than the other Target employees. I was kind and polite, and eventually got my phone. It was a little like pulling teeth, though.

Congrats on your new phone, I really like my iPhone SE! :beer
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Topic Author
mxs

Post by mxs »

I could tell the whole organization was jacked up from the beginning as they had their only two registers for iPads only, and made phone customers wait an hour at least. Sure, some people bought the iPads, but not enough to have your only two registers dedicated to that. I would guess there were 20 iPad customers and 50+ phone customers.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I have found that you can frequently get these Black Friday deals by ordering online instead of going into the store. Sometimes they are even available a few days beforehand.
sls239

Post by sls239 »

I went to Target Thursday and left without buying anything because it was so poorly organized.

Walmart on the other hand was an absolute breeze and it has been for several years now.

I know one difference is that Target left all their regular merchandise in place, Walmart moved a lot of regular merchandise out of the way, essentially doubling the aisle width of the major square where most of the deals were.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Somewhat related: Target also does not price match right now:

"Price matches and adjustments to competitors will not be allowed for prices from Thanksgiving Day through the entire week after Thanksgiving. (11/23/2017 – 12/2/2017)."
https://corporate.target.com/about/shop ... confidence
Topic Author
mxs

Post by mxs »

Best Buy has a similar temporary price match policy.
darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 »

Kenkat wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:32 am I have found that you can frequently get these Black Friday deals by ordering online instead of going into the store. Sometimes they are even available a few days beforehand.
I apply this philosophy to almost everything.

It is almost universally easier to buy things online rather than in-person.
Topic Author
mxs

Post by mxs »

This deal became available Thanksgiving day through Best Buy's website, but I don't think their was any notification that they would be essentially price matching Target's deal. I agree that online would have been easier, but my local Best Buy did not have this phone in stock and I wanted to hurry up and switch out of Verizon while I had a long weekend to get things working, my phone cases/screen protectors arrived, and before my Verizon billing cycle came up. I'll be writing up a post about the switch over process that was a little interesting, but seems like it went through okay.
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

What's your time and aggravation worth?
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
Topic Author
mxs

Post by mxs »

eye.surgeon wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:52 pm What's your time and aggravation worth?
Fair point/question, and I think that essentially is true for anyone going out on Thanksgiving/Black Friday. It is a roll of the dice. I was after more than just this phone, but it was the one thing that I wanted to make sure I bought and got taken care of this weekend. It all worked out in the end, but like a lot of things in life there were a few bumps along the way.
danaht

Post by danaht »

If you can - try to buy the phone online and pick it up later. I guess there were a few items on Target's black Friday add that were "in-store" only. Perhaps this phone was one of those items. I did all my Target Black Friday shopping online this year - and picked up the items later. Did not deal with any lines or crowd - and was very happy.
Topic Author
mxs

Post by mxs »

danaht wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:15 am If you can - try to buy the phone online and pick it up later. I guess there were a few items on Target's black Friday add that were "in-store" only. Perhaps this phone was one of those items. I did all my Target Black Friday shopping online this year - and picked up the items later. Did not deal with any lines or crowd - and was very happy.
Yes, that would have been a better option though the store only had 3 total so I would have had to wait for a shipment most likely. My fault for the impatience. Everything worked out, I may have needed to vent a little.