What to do with portable basketball hoop in winter

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
davebo

What to do with portable basketball hoop in winter

Post by davebo »

This is our first winter with a portable basketball hoop. We have it setup on the edge of our driveway so it's nice and level and it's filled with water. In the summer, the water is a good option because it gives us the ability to drain/move it when we need to e.g. when we have our driveway sealed.

A few weeks ago, I looked on Lifetime's website and it says that you can keep water in it all year. The manufacturers website says "Lifetime bases are made out of high-density polyethylene plastic that is flexible enough to expand with the water when it freezes."

I'm surprised the manufacturer didn't hedge a little bit and tell people to drain it or use sand, just to be safe.

Just curious what people did who used water? Drain it and tip it over? Use water and let it ride? Sounds like antifreeze is not the best option.
livesoft

Re: What to do with portable basketball hoop in winter

Post by livesoft »

Hmmm, never really thought about. My area has 2 to 4 hard freezes each year. Our water-filled goal base has never leaked in 18 years of outdoor use. I doubt it has ever frozen solid all the way through. I'm interested in the experiences of others.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

If it freezes it might crack. Mine did not freeze for several winters then it eventually cracked. Drain completely for winter. It would take quit a bit of antifreeze if it's a big base. Easier and cheaper just to drain it. Why take the chance.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
soupcxan

Post by soupcxan »

[deleted]
Last edited by soupcxan on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
41Fin

Post by 41Fin »

We leave the water and let it ride since it gets use year round. No issues yet and the hoop has been around as long as I can remember.