Best head set for listening and microphone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CountryBoy

Best head set for listening and microphone

Post by CountryBoy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:34 pm

I currently use Skype for language learning and have a Plantronics head set and microphone but the audio is very poor quality.

Can someone suggest a head set and microphone with excellent audio?

Thank you.

mhalley

Re: Best head set for listening and microphone

Post by mhalley » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:24 pm

Check out madlustenvy for multiple reviews at different price points.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mad-lus ... ed.534479/

Tyler Aspect

Post by Tyler Aspect » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:35 pm

I have an old JVC HA-SR500 headset. I found its audio quality to be very good.
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Thanks to everyone for their guidance.

Followup question clarification:

Since I am using my Plantronics head set and microphone for Skype and find that my voice or audio quality is so poor, am I identifying and resolving the problem correctly by buying another headset? Is there anything else by way of adjustment that needs to be done to improve my outgoing audio over the microphone?

The reason I ask is that I know numerous adjustments are needed on the Video side for an improved picture and I have done those already. I don't seem to be able to find any info to improve the audio side.

Thanks.

badbreath

Post by badbreath » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Just get a Sennheiser headset with a mic and you will be good
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

dandinsac

Post by dandinsac » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:04 pm

If you have good video, with no dropouts or stutters, a new headset may be worthwhile. If your video is bad, it may be a slow connection. If you can’t understand the speaker, (not due to your lack of knowledge of the foreign languague), then it may be their connection.

You could try to record an audio file to your computer with the exiting headset. When you listen to it, if it doesn’t sound great, a new headset is in order.

You can also try to adjust the location of the microphone. Generally, closer to the mouth is better. Doing a few different recordings would help you figure that out.

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:28 pm

You could try to record an audio file to your computer with the exiting headset. When you listen to it, if it doesn’t sound great, a new headset is in order.
Yup, I did that and it sounds very distant, like I have to speak very loudly.

mrb09

Post by mrb09 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:41 am

I'm on computer conferences several hours a day. I have hearing aids but I still have some issues hearing on calls if my headphones have too much bass, and I've had folks complain in the past about background noise from my mic. I've tried lots of different headsets and/or headphones and mics.

I ended up with separate audio-only headphones (some old audio-technica m35s I've had for years) and a Blue Yeti USB desk mic. I have the mic in front of my desk and I have the gain turned down, so it doesn't pick up too much background noise. It has a mute button in front that flashes when on (helps with the infamous "sorry I was on mute"), and the headphones plug into the mic so I can hear feedback if there's too much keyboard noise.

It is overkill by most people's standard, but given the amount of time I'm on calls and need to both hear and be understood, it works for me.

gpburdell

Post by gpburdell » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:23 am

badbreath wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:27 pm
Just get a Sennheiser headset with a mic and you will be good
+1. I have a Sennheiser gaming headset w/ attached mic and it works great. I work from home most of the time and take conference calls over Google Hangouts several hours a day. Numerous times people have commented that my voice comes through the clearest. I do have the headset and mic running through a dedicated sound card; not sure if that makes a difference or not.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:37 am

Certainly some troubleshooting before spending money is a good idea. Are you using windows 10, using onboard sound from your computer?
You might check for new drivers for your bios, and adjust microphone settings. Most motherboards use Realtek these days I think.

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fi ... indows-10/
(I don’t know anything about the driver program mentioned in the article, I would try the manual method)

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/microphon ... windows-10

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:54 am

You folks are wonderful with all your advice. Thank you.

I am currently running Realtek High Definition Audio on a Windows 7 system.

gpburdell -
Would you please advise which model of Sennheiser gaming headset w/ attached mic it was that you bought. There seem to be a lot of models to choose from.

There is no space on my desk for a desk mic.

Just for the record, I do Skype for language learning(French) so I need as high fidelity as I can get in order to hear and be heard.

Many thanks again.

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:20 pm

So does anyone own and use a Sennheiser headset w/ attached mic that works? Apparently if I use Skype I do not need a gaming headset with sense around (according to Best Buy today.)

There are many models but I need a specific model no.; I don't want to buy just anything with Sennheiser on it.

Thanks.

Veiled

Post by Veiled » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:19 pm

Don't know about the stuff you just mentioned and am a little late to the party. But I love Bose headphones and the audio-technica – ATR2100.
Pardon me as I read these one hundred and fifty-seven SP vs LLC vs Scorp threads...

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:49 pm

Veiled

Thanks for the reply but I need a headset+mic combo.

badbreath

Post by badbreath » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:52 pm

I use this

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/headphones ... r-hd-4-20s

Very good for travel also
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:21 pm

Do you approve of the quality of the microphone? That is especially important for me.

Thanks.