How do I sell silver coins?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Muri
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:00 am

How do I sell silver coins?

Post by Muri » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:53 am

We have some US silver coins left to us by a relative who was a collector. How do I find out the value and safely sell them?

geekpryde
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: How do I sell silver coins?

Post by geekpryde » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:14 pm

For silver value only (as opposed to numismatic value) use this: http://www.coinflation.com/coins/silver ... lator.html

For selling to Bullion collectors, I recommend this site: https://www.cointalk.com/forums/

You would have to be a member and meet some other basic requirements to post a FSH (for sale here) add.

If they have value beyond silver, the guys at CoinTalk could still help you out: https://www.cointalk.com/forums/whats-it-worth/

clydewolf
Posts: 733
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:51 pm

Re: How do I sell silver coins?

Post by clydewolf » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:32 pm

I acquired a collection of silver coins.
When I sold them, I went to a local coin dealer. He stated a price for each coin after he viewed the coin.

User avatar
alpenglow
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:02 pm

Re: How do I sell silver coins?

Post by alpenglow » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:40 pm

I've sold a number of coins on eBay without a problem.

User avatar
SurfCityBill
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 10:15 pm
Location: Western United States

Re: How do I sell silver coins?

Post by SurfCityBill » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:03 pm

alpenglow wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:40 pm
I've sold a number of coins on eBay without a problem.
+1

RudyS
Posts: 1371
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:11 am

Re: How do I sell silver coins?

Post by RudyS » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:23 pm

alpenglow wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:40 pm
I've sold a number of coins on eBay without a problem.
Were these numismatic grade, or bullion grade? Ebay might be a good source of determining value if you can be sure of the grade of the coin.

User avatar
Ice-9
Posts: 1338
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: How do I sell silver coins?

Post by Ice-9 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:30 pm

An easy online point of reference is APMEX, which will be willing to buy if you have a minimum of $1000 value.

Here's their selling instructions: https://www.apmex.com/sell-gold-sell-silver-to-apmex

If they're common coins, you may be able to find the price each of the coins you have currently sells for on APMEX here: https://www.apmex.com/apmextop40

Edit to add: And here's a link where you could compare with their competitor JM Bullion: https://www.jmbullion.com/sell-to-us/

User avatar
alpenglow
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:02 pm

Re: How do I sell silver coins?

Post by alpenglow » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:52 pm

RudyS wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:23 pm
alpenglow wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:40 pm
I've sold a number of coins on eBay without a problem.
Were these numismatic grade, or bullion grade? Ebay might be a good source of determining value if you can be sure of the grade of the coin.
Both. I've sold low grade coins that were more or less worth melt value. I've also sold some nice Silver Eagle proofs with numismatic value. None were graded and slabbed, however.

User avatar
welderwannabe
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:32 am

Re: How do I sell silver coins?

Post by welderwannabe » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:48 pm

Ice-9 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:30 pm
An easy online point of reference is APMEX, which will be willing to buy if you have a minimum of $1000 value.

Here's their selling instructions: https://www.apmex.com/sell-gold-sell-silver-to-apmex

If they're common coins, you may be able to find the price each of the coins you have currently sells for on APMEX here: https://www.apmex.com/apmextop40

Edit to add: And here's a link where you could compare with their competitor JM Bullion: https://www.jmbullion.com/sell-to-us/
+1 here. I have bought and sold from APMEX many times over the years. Never any problems.
I am not an investment professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

spectec
Posts: 1244
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:00 am

Re: How do I sell silver coins?

Post by spectec » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:42 pm

This has been a great thread, well worth saving.
I've been trying to figure out how to proceed in a similar situation for several years.
Many thanks to all who replied to the OP.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

Stormbringer
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:07 am

Re: How do I sell silver coins?

Post by Stormbringer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:32 pm

I just keep mine locked in the safe. I figure I get a couple extra minutes of quality sleep each night knowing they are there.
"Compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe." - Albert Einstein

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 49298
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: How do I sell silver coins?

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:21 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (coins).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
Optmst
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:38 am
Location: USA is home, but traveling now
Contact:

Re: How do I sell silver coins?

Post by Optmst » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:20 am

Stormbringer wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:32 pm
I just keep mine locked in the safe. I figure I get a couple extra minutes of quality sleep each night knowing they are there.
I agree with not selling, especially at the current low prices. Diversifying some assets away from paper and into physical things you can hold and store securely has value.
I'm not as concerned about the return on my money as I am the return of my money. (Often attributed to Will Rogers)

jackholloway
Posts: 965
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: How do I sell silver coins?

Post by jackholloway » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:17 am

The coin community forum is also pretty useful. I have bought and sold a few coins through APMEX, but I do not consider myself a coin investor or collector.

Once you know how to grade your coins or where the value in your collection lies, a local coin store can also work, but you should go in knowing roughly what you have, so you can make an informed decision.

Post Reply