Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
quantAndHold
Posts: 1087
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:15 am

wdnnikl wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:09 am


Definitely not in favor of Uber delivering my packages though. Will have to investigate jet.com.
https://logistics.amazon.com
Amazon Logistics is not Uber. It’s a guy in a white van wearing Amazon logo wear and an Amazon contractor badge.

When they first started delivering in my area, there were some teething pains. But lately, I prefer AMZL. They’re more reliable than any of the others here.

wdnnikl
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:49 am

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by wdnnikl » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:25 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:15 am
wdnnikl wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:09 am


Definitely not in favor of Uber delivering my packages though. Will have to investigate jet.com.
https://logistics.amazon.com
Amazon Logistics is not Uber. It’s a guy in a white van wearing Amazon logo wear and an Amazon contractor badge.

When they first started delivering in my area, there were some teething pains. But lately, I prefer AMZL. They’re more reliable than any of the others here.

From Amazon:
- What type of vehicle do I need?
If you are awarded business with Amazon, you'll need to use cargo vans with at least 300 cubic feet of cargo capacity

- Can delivery providers use walkers, bicyclists, and motorcyclists?
Yes, though this depends on the location. Currently, walkers and bicyclists are options in New York. Motorcyclists are an option in California.

Apparently a white van is not required to deliver a package and there is no mention of Uber, just yet. :wink:

Here's the Uber link. :wink:
https://flex.amazon.com
Good news here is that as an independent contractor you can have your pets and friends with you. Unless you are delivering Amazon fresh, then they aren't allowed to be in the vehicle. Whew, that's good to hear. Apparently, there is just a little bit of wiggle room however, "Repeated non-compliance with this policy will affect your eligibility for the Amazon Flex program." Sounds like it's all nailed down, my broccoli is protected. :annoyed

danaht
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:28 am

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by danaht » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:04 pm

I now tend to only use Amazon for the hard to find items that I can not buy locally. Amazon's prices are not as good as they once were in the past. Also, before buying anything it's always good to do a price comparison. The easiest way to compare prices is usually just to use the Google search - and Google will list the prices online and locally. I ordered 0 items from Amazon this holiday weekend so far- because most of the deals I want are "prime" only. I am no longer a prime member.

SrGrumpy
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by SrGrumpy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:22 pm

"Price gouging" is when your local 7/11 triples the price of water and batteries after a natural disaster. If you don't like Amazon, don't click. Simple as that.

User avatar
eye.surgeon
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:19 pm
Location: California

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by eye.surgeon » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:31 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:59 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:31 pm
I've seen several items I've purchased that I've gone to purchase again priced as nearly twice as much. Both sold by Amazon. This was only a week later. One was an outlet strip as Black Friday TV purchases are going up. The other was some pint glasses. I'm watching prices more carefully now and reconsidering renewing Amazon Prime. I've heard that they charge people different prices. Not sure what the legality of this is.
There are tons of industries that charge different prices on the same product for different people.

Cable TV (and internet, etc), Airlines, etc
Amazon should think hard about emulating the business practices of those two industries. Both are profoundly unpopular for that very reason.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

Nyc10036
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by Nyc10036 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:31 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:22 pm
"Price gouging" is when your local 7/11 triples the price of water and batteries after a natural disaster. If you don't like Amazon, don't click. Simple as that.
If you don't click, how is one to comparison shop?
No need to get so defensive about Amazon. I am sure they are doing very well.

User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 4883
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:54 pm

Nyc10036 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:31 pm
SrGrumpy wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:22 pm
"Price gouging" is when your local 7/11 triples the price of water and batteries after a natural disaster. If you don't like Amazon, don't click. Simple as that.
If you don't click, how is one to comparison shop?
No need to get so defensive about Amazon. I am sure they are doing very well.
https://legaldictionary.net/price-gouging/
Definition of Price Gouging
Noun


The practice of raising prices on certain types of goods and services to an unfair level, especially during a state of emergency.
Run, You Clever Boy! 8723

quantAndHold
Posts: 1087
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Amazon Flex and Amazon Logistics are two different things.

Amazon Logistics is the white van people, although apparently your van doesn’t need to be white. They handle overnight and two day shipments from Amazon fulfillment centers. This is a regular job, and every time I order something, the same guy shows up at my house.

Amazon Flex would do things like Prime Now and Amazon Restaurants deliveries in the cities where Amazon has those things. If you want lunch, or two hour delivery, this is who delivers it. The type of vehicle the delivery person uses would depend on what’s most efficient for the location. The last time I used Prime Now at my house, the guy showed up in a subcompact hatchback loaded to the gills with Prime Now bags. When I used Prime Now at my downtown office, the guy showed up on a bicycle. The one time I used Amazon Restaurants, the guy showed up in a van, but it was a day Amazon was running a special, and he had deliveries for half the people in my 30 story building. Not surprisingly, the food was cold.

raamakoti
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by raamakoti » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:35 pm

I noticed this - I was looking for Boogie Board Sync https://smile.amazon.com/Boogie-Board-9 ... sync&psc=1

The price swing was between $81 and $135 - after missing the $81 window. I had to wait over 2 months to see $81 again. there was lot of price swing during this time. Since I was not desperate to get it, so I waited and got at $81

I add to cart and change it as save for later and keep and periodically check for price and big items I always check at Costco and other site. So far amazon could not beat Costco for items greater than $100 value.

User avatar
cfs
Posts: 3456
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:22 am
Location: My own camino since 2014

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by cfs » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:58 pm

I have not noticed the price gouging, and I have three items in my cart since last month, the cost remains the same. Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, thanks for reading.
~ Donating Member ~

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 17576
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:12 pm

cfs wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:58 pm
I have not noticed the price gouging, and I have three items in my cart since last month, the cost remains the same. Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, thanks for reading.
Happy Thanksgiving, cfs!

I have many items on my Amazon Wish Lists, which allows me to monitor prices and buy as appropriate. In the notes field, I indicate the lowest price I have seen and use it as a benchmark. When the price drops significantly, I buy; when it rises, I wait. When I want a specific high-priced item, I use CamelCamelCamel.

I don't use Amazon Prime, because I don't care about fast delivery. I can wait. I always get free shipping, because I always have some staples that I can add to my cart to bring it to above $25. When the free-shipping threshold was $40, it was a bit more difficult but still doable.

I don't have an Amazon credit card. However, I buy Amazon Gift Cards with my Chase Freedom at 5x. Sometimes, Freedom gives you 5% at Amazon directly; other times, I buy Amazon GC at supermarkets, pharmacies, and gas stations.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
cfs
Posts: 3456
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:22 am
Location: My own camino since 2014

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by cfs » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:33 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:12 pm
. . . I don't use Amazon Prime, because I don't care about fast delivery . . .
Victoria, thanks. I don't have Amazon Prime, but I also get the free shipping because I like to buy several items [getting me into free shipping territory]. God bless you and your family, have a Merry Christmas.
~ Donating Member ~

fourwheelcycle
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 5:55 pm

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by fourwheelcycle » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:10 pm

wdnnikl wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:09 am
I watch deliveries like a hawk. When an item is delivered late, I contact [Amazon] and request a Prime membership extension.
Same here, and each time they add a month to my membership.

wdnnikl
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:49 am

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by wdnnikl » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:58 am

fourwheelcycle wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:10 pm
wdnnikl wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:09 am
I watch deliveries like a hawk. When an item is delivered late, I contact [Amazon] and request a Prime membership extension.
Same here, and each time they add a month to my membership.
Yep, one month each time. They even gave an extension for a damaged book. Although, the book was about the cost of Prime for one month. Initially, they did resist that extension request, but not too much and eventually gave in. :happy

User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 4883
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:36 am

Prime member here. Just ordered today at excellent price :moneybag and will be receiving tomorrow with free one day shipping for Prime members. Booyah!
Run, You Clever Boy! 8723

User avatar
cfs
Posts: 3456
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:22 am
Location: My own camino since 2014

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by cfs » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:01 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:36 am
Prime member here. Just ordered today at excellent price :moneybag and will be receiving tomorrow with free one day shipping for Prime members. Booyah!
Wow, I can see you jumping up and down! Good luck, Merry Christmas, thanks for reading.
~ Donating Member ~

User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 4883
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:27 pm

cfs wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:01 pm
TheTimeLord wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:36 am
Prime member here. Just ordered today at excellent price :moneybag and will be receiving tomorrow with free one day shipping for Prime members. Booyah!
Wow, I can see you jumping up and down! Good luck, Merry Christmas, thanks for reading.
Probably the first time I have bought something on Black Friday in about a decade.
Run, You Clever Boy! 8723

rjbraun
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by rjbraun » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:38 pm

I've been buying with no-rush shipping (or whatever it's called). While I have Amazon Prime I will take offers to receive a $1 Amazon digital book credit in the many instances where I am not particularly time-sensitive. Anyway, as a result there have been times when I see a price drop. Depending on the amount of price difference and how busy I may be at the time, I sometimes will cancel the existing order and place a new one. Basically, the no-rush shipping option gives me a window to watch & execute. In this case, it hardly seems like "price gouging".

All this being said, there have been times when I buy something only to see the price drop a decent amount, and, I agree, it doesn't feel good. At the same time, I have seen things go the other way, too.

User avatar
linenfort
Posts: 1923
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:22 am
Location: #96151D

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by linenfort » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:32 pm

Thank you for the camel x3 heads up. Very useful site! I’ve spent too much time watching my cart changes over the years.
The problem is not that bitcoin is a sham. The problem is that people are nuts.

Doom&Gloom
Posts: 1521
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:35 pm

IMO thread title should have been: Beware Amazon Price Fluctuations

djdube525
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:57 am

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by djdube525 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:55 pm

JoinToday wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:21 am
KT785 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:47 pm
If you've never tried it before, check out CamelCamelCamel to track Amazon prices on specific items, evaluate past pricing, track prices/set alerts, etc. :beer

Edit: looks like Mike Scott beat me to it . . .
I've used camelcamelcamel. Some (perhaps a minority) of the low prices on amazon are bogus (unfortunately), 3rd party sellers. Camelcamelcamel has notified me of prices below my limit. I have purchased them but they never arrived. Did this again (same item, different seller), never arrived. Seller feedback shows a new seller, with maybe 1 positive review. Over the coarse of time, feedback becomes all negative, items are never delivered.
As far as notifications go, you can set price watches based on 3rd party re-sellers, Amazon, or both.

I typically only crate alerts where Amazon is the seller. I have alerts on oft used items. Like Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil at $22 for a 5qt jug. Just yesterday I got an email it dropped below $20, and then I stock up for the next set of oil changes.

Jonathan
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:36 pm

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by Jonathan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:58 pm

Just like with credit cards, low-information buyers can overpay at Amazon, while savvy users benefit greatly.

Price comparison sites, browser plugins, no-rush shipping bonuses, 15% off with subscribe-n-save, 20% off with Amazon Family, 5% cash back with the Amazon Store Card. Plus Amazon Warehouse, Amazon Outlet, Amazon Gold Box.

Yes, they wiggle prices sometimes, and you can always find a third-party seller charging a wackily exorbitant price, but the options for saving money are numerous.

User avatar
linenfort
Posts: 1923
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:22 am
Location: #96151D

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by linenfort » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:22 am

I wonder how often camelcamelcamel updates, because it gets a different price than I see. For example, Columbo Season One on DVD (ASIN B00DZP1C4K; please don't comment on my viewing tastes :happy ) is reportedly down to $9.99, which it used to be in my shopping cart. However, it's $16.23 in my shopping cart these days. I set an alert, waited overnight, got an email from camel^3 that it's $9.99. Signed in as someone else to eliminate the paranoid feeling that the price was only jacked up for me: it's $16.23. :|
The problem is not that bitcoin is a sham. The problem is that people are nuts.

drg02b
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by drg02b » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:50 am

Nyc10036 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:54 am
jebmke wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:47 pm
I usually check around but if the price is close, I often go back to AMZ because delivery is fast - we have a huge AMZ distribution center about 1.5 hours away.
I have three warehouses 45 minutes radius.
Useless without Prime.
Amazon sits on the order for 5 business days (7 days counting weekends) then ships.
Standard procedure for them.
I factor it in my shopping decisions and just buy from other places more.
Agree. I use to be a Prime fanboy, but I got tired feeling like I always had to buy from them and then the constant game of getting extensions and their customer service reps seeming to play dumber and dumber every time I asked for extensions when they failed their guarantee. More and more it just felt sleazy and I hated wasting time on it all -- I analyzed my purchasing history, and even with the 2% bonus on my CC rewards, decided 99% of the time, I was not saving money, and did not need packages that fast.

Since dropping Prime, Amazon has become even more obnoxious, constantly blasting me with prompts to get Prime and even defaulting my shipping option to Prime or paid 2-day shipping. It's now 2-3 screens extra to click out of this to make a purchase. And apparently, their logistics can't operate any slower, so then orders just sit in pre-shipment for nearly a week -- I just cancelled one item, since I realized my Menard's has comparable options, some at lower prices. Amazon (like many subscription services) just wants to milk passive income from me, and if they are going to continue to pull the gimmicks they do, then I'll learn to shop elsewhere.

Doom&Gloom
Posts: 1521
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:31 pm

drg02b wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:50 am
Nyc10036 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:54 am
jebmke wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:47 pm
I usually check around but if the price is close, I often go back to AMZ because delivery is fast - we have a huge AMZ distribution center about 1.5 hours away.
I have three warehouses 45 minutes radius.
Useless without Prime.
Amazon sits on the order for 5 business days (7 days counting weekends) then ships.
Standard procedure for them.
I factor it in my shopping decisions and just buy from other places more.
Agree. I use to be a Prime fanboy, but I got tired feeling like I always had to buy from them and then the constant game of getting extensions and their customer service reps seeming to play dumber and dumber every time I asked for extensions when they failed their guarantee. More and more it just felt sleazy and I hated wasting time on it all -- I analyzed my purchasing history, and even with the 2% bonus on my CC rewards, decided 99% of the time, I was not saving money, and did not need packages that fast.

Since dropping Prime, Amazon has become even more obnoxious, constantly blasting me with prompts to get Prime and even defaulting my shipping option to Prime or paid 2-day shipping. It's now 2-3 screens extra to click out of this to make a purchase. And apparently, their logistics can't operate any slower, so then orders just sit in pre-shipment for nearly a week -- I just cancelled one item, since I realized my Menard's has comparable options, some at lower prices. Amazon (like many subscription services) just wants to milk passive income from me, and if they are going to continue to pull the gimmicks they do, then I'll learn to shop elsewhere.
I dropped Prime recently so DW could sign up for it--for reasons that fit our needs and wants. Since dropping Prime, I have the same experiences as above. Amazon's marketing for Prime seems designed to make former Prime members feel like second-class citizens. I can deal with it, but I still like Amazon and will continue to do business with them. However, if I really need something from Amazon in a hurry, I will probably need to order it through DW's Prime account.

Post Reply