What are the things you want to do between 55 and 65?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
flyingaway

Re: What are the things you want to do between 55 and 65?

Post by flyingaway »

JDCarpenter wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:32 am Retired this year at 57/56 with this decade at the top of our minds.... So far, we have these things on the "do sooner rather than later" list--and some are booked:
  • Strenuous liveaboard diving--Fiji, Cocos, Galapagos, etc. Diving involving complex travel--much of south pacific and indian oceans, at least from here....

Other demanding travels. After the Peruvian Andes, we (as expected) have placed other multi-day treks on our short term list, and DW is buying camping gear. Canyon/mountain trips in the american west fit here. So too, even multi-month carry-on only trips could get problematic as we age; so we are going to be on the road for over half of each year, I think.

Antarctic cruise (our first cruise, probably)--even though you can do it with less physical vigor, the excursions appear better done with good legs/lungs. Wildlife viewing trip in Southern Africa is also in this subcategory.

As noted by others, time with family, both for joy and (anticipated) caregiving. We are geographically closest to octogenarian in-laws (but 8 hour drive). Being able to be there, if we are not out of the country, will be beneficial. More likely than not, we will also be able to see our sons and their wives more frequently than once or twice a year now.

Such other things as we add to the activity list. Maybe go back to skiing? Bicycling tours?
We'll keep up with the physical conditioning/training to optimize the chances of being able to continue the physically demanding activities beyond age 65, as we know many people can. But at this point, we would rather take advantage of known health than to bet on unknown continued health!
I am right behind you. Booked our first tour trip to Peru in May, after my solo trip in February to China, Thailand, and Vietnam. A two week trip to Europe is planned in July or August. We still have not figured out where to go in the first week of 2018. We will do as much travel as we could, regardless of our retirement status.
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

flyingaway wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:52 am ...

I am right behind you. Booked our first tour trip to Peru in May, after my solo trip in February to China, Thailand, and Vietnam. A two week trip to Europe is planned in July or August. We still have not figured out where to go in the first week of 2018. We will do as much travel as we could, regardless of our retirement status.
Peru was amazing. We first feared that 8 weeks was going to be too long. Turned out to be at least 2 weeks short for what we decided (on the fly) we wanted to do/see/experience.... Confirmed that retirement was our right call--trying to do even the bare minimum in a week would have been tough.
Our personal blog (no ads) of why we saved/invested: https://www.lisajtravels.com/
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

JDCarpenter wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:57 am

Peru was amazing. We first feared that 8 weeks was going to be too long. Turned out to be at least 2 weeks short for what we decided (on the fly) we wanted to do/see/experience.... Confirmed that retirement was our right call--trying to do even the bare minimum in a week would have been tough.
Spending 8 weeks in Peru would really challenge me. We are not used to slow travel yet. Slow travel is something my wife wants to do in Europe.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

2015 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:15 pm A lot of emphasis on "doing", just like in a job, where the doing is seemingly Sisyphean. While I'm definitely "doing" what my heart desires in retirement, I'm also spending a whole lot of time just "being", and I gotta tell ya, nothing beats it.

The joy of being free to read outdoors at the city's library cafe, expanding degrees of fulfillment and satisfaction in my own life, instead of going to some job to solve the problems or agenda of something or someone else can't be adequately described.
Sometimes I was thinking that I might just get up as late as I want and watch TV as late as I want in retirement. Then, my second thought would be: that lifestyle would not beat my current work.

Post by 2015 »

flyingaway wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:58 am
2015 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:15 pm A lot of emphasis on "doing", just like in a job, where the doing is seemingly Sisyphean. While I'm definitely "doing" what my heart desires in retirement, I'm also spending a whole lot of time just "being", and I gotta tell ya, nothing beats it.

The joy of being free to read outdoors at the city's library cafe, expanding degrees of fulfillment and satisfaction in my own life, instead of going to some job to solve the problems or agenda of something or someone else can't be adequately described.
Sometimes I was thinking that I might just get up as late as I want and watch TV as late as I want in retirement. Then, my second thought would be: that lifestyle would not beat my current work.
That lifestyle wouldn't beat mine when I was working either, quite frankly. I have a loose but somewhat set schedule in retirement, because it works for me. This schedule includes getting up at the same time and going to bed at about the same time, while excluding sleeping in late (I'm a morning person) or get lost in television late at night.

During the time I was really driven towards career achievement working was actually fun. I recall a time when I was thrilled to be figuring out (and capitalizing on) the morass that I now know to be so-called organizational "leadership", organizational culture, and practices. I have many fond memories, have collected some great friends from my working life, and wouldn't trade for those experiences, good and bad. Everything has it's time and place. Now, however, nothing beats the freedom and contentment I experience in retirement.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

I would do Roth conversion if you have too much fore-tax savings. Better before the RMD, SS starting.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

SimplicityNow wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:42 am
Taylor Larimore wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:25 pm
flyingaway wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:25 pm
Taylor Larimore wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:55 pm I wanted to retire--and I did in 1981 at age 57.

My hobby was sailing so I earned a U.S. Coast Guard captain's license and began taking charter parties to the Bahamas and Florida Keys. I also delivered boats on the U.S. East Coast and Europe.

In 1998 I began posting on the Morningstar Diehard Forum, and then the Bogleheads Forum with more than 50,000 (total) posts trying to help others enjoy the financial success I had achieved. Bogleheads are appreciative!

It has been a good life (I'm 93).

Thank you for asking -- and best wishes.
Taylor
You have a truly wonderful hobby. I am just curious, at the time of your retiring, did you expect to enjoy your hobby so long?
Flyingaway:

I must admit I never expected to live this long, much less be able to race a sailboat almost every Saturday (my two boys and I placed 2nd last Saturday).

I am very thankful for reaching age 93 and feeling fit-- especially after battling four types of cancer -- one of which left me speechless so that I must use an electronic helper.

Our Miami family is very close and active. We have invited 28 Larimore's from around the country to enjoy a family reunion and Thanksgiving dinner on Biscayne Bay aboard a boat we've chartered for the event. They will be surprised to learn that I have written another Boglehead book. I wish I could invite every Boglehead to join us.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Enjoy your reunion and Happy Thanksgiving!
Would I get an invite if I changed my name to Larimore?

TravelforFun
GibsonL6s

Post by GibsonL6s »

I am close to this age and would love to play music live with others. I played through high school in garage bands and loved it but did not pursue it as a career. Also, I love indoor court sports like racquetball and squash and want to play more along with trying to do Yoga. It is great to see others on here accomplishing inspiring things!
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Theseus wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:00 pm I have a bucket list of hikes/treks I want to go on - most of them are fairly challenging (at least for me). Usually I can do once a year. If my knees support me I have 10 years in the best case. But most likely I have 3-5 years.
Exactly same for me. I'm 59 and at the top of this list are:

New Zealand (Milford and Routeburn tracks) - Done at age 56, 3 years ago
Grand Canyon Rim to Rim - hopefully within next few years. Challenging, so need to do it sooner than later.
Australia - Laparinta trail (at least a segment of it) - this might be my "retirement" celebration.
coacher

Post by coacher »

Applause to those of you who are deciding to "front load" your bucket list with adventures that are physically demanding. Besides the natural slowdown that comes with aging (notwithstanding habits that mitigate this - exercise, diet, etc.), a common reality those in this age group face is the slower healing process of injury. Semi retired at 56, I've spent more time in the past few months getting back on the basketball court with mostly folks that are 15-20 years my junior. 2 months ago I ruptured my Achilles tendon during a pick-up game and have been in a cast ever since. Though certainly a fairly common (not "Black Swan") type of injury, my perspective on what I do going forward has changed, and I am revising my previous desired allocation of 80-20 (that is - vigorous:low-impact) to about 30-70, whereas I would have approached my future outlook ("activity portfolio") much differently even 10 years ago. Yes life is too short not to take risks when you can, but it's also too short to ignore age-specific physical risks (kind of like investing :)). To sum up, I anticipate restricting my future activity on the court to H-O-R-S-E.
Jim85

Post by Jim85 »

I'm 61 and started semi-retirement at 58. I had achieved financial independence so I could. Initially pulled the plug (part time) to help my parents sell their home and move into a retirement community. My father was not well and help was needed. Plus I was able to spend a lot of time with him over about 5-6 months. He actually passed away days before the move. No regrets, one of best decisions I've made.

Now I spend a day a week visiting with my mother and helping her with stuff. I usually have at least 1 golf day. And still have my weekends with the wife, doing chores, yard work, etc. Working still 3+ days a week but my next goal is to be a snowbird this winter so might have to cut back further on work or retire completely...soon. In general, my retirement things to do were spending time with aging parents, golf and travel.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

JDTHOOSIER wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:07 pm
Theseus wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:00 pm I have a bucket list of hikes/treks I want to go on - most of them are fairly challenging (at least for me). Usually I can do once a year. If my knees support me I have 10 years in the best case. But most likely I have 3-5 years.

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim - hopefully within next few years. Challenging, so need to do it sooner than later.
Australia - Laparinta trail (at least a segment of it) - this might be my "retirement" celebration.
NewZealand track is on my list. I have to checkout the one you mentioned in Australia.
I did Inca Trail this year. Done two in Nepal (Annapurna and Everest Base Camp), Kilimanjaro while I was working. I really enjoyed Nepal and I will go back for a couple more.

I want to hike through Amazon Jungle, climb Mt. Elbrus, Trekking with Gorillas in Rwanda or Uganda, hike Mont De Blanc circuit, Climb Aconcagua, Lost city trek in Colombia, Patagonia - El Calafate & El Chalten, The Avenue of Volcanoes in Ecuador, Torres del Paine Circuit - Chile , Choy Oyu - Tibet. I'd be lucky if I can do 2-3 of these.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

No big plans, just enjoy every day like I did as a child before school and structure started.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Late retirement has an opportunity cost.

Even if you are not interested in travel, don't have hobbies, and don't want to accomplish anything specific--the later you retire the more difficult it is to adjust to retirement. It is increasingly difficult to shed workplace habits including your sense of identity and the structured life, make new friends, and try new things. Every year you work is a year you spend in a sitting position in air conditioned rooms instead of hiking in mountains. Every year you work you are not getting enough sleep and getting too much stress; in retirement it's the other way around.

There are also psychological factors. If you retire early, you have self-expectation to use your time to the fullest. If you retire late, you feel that you "deserve" to vegetate in front of TV. The former prolongs your life and enhances its quality; the latter does not.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

flyingaway wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:34 pm

Possible things that come into my mind are: ... dating a much younger person, etc.
Sounds good on paper, but:
1) I don't think there is a much younger woman who would have me.
2) My wife has an issue with it.
badbreath

Post by badbreath »

Retire from my job, but Megacorp does not want me to until 2020 (they offered me a lot of stocks to stay on)
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

flyingaway wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:55 am
JDCarpenter wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:57 am

Spending 8 weeks in Peru would really challenge me. We are not used to slow travel yet. Slow travel is something my wife wants to do in Europe.
Me too... I'd love to spend a month in Italy someday.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Theseus wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:47 pm

NewZealand track is on my list. I have to checkout the one you mentioned in Australia.
I did Inca Trail this year. Done two in Nepal (Annapurna and Everest Base Camp), Kilimanjaro while I was working. I really enjoyed Nepal and I will go back for a couple more.

I want to hike through Amazon Jungle, climb Mt. Elbrus, Trekking with Gorillas in Rwanda or Uganda, hike Mont De Blanc circuit, Climb Aconcagua, Lost city trek in Colombia, Patagonia - El Calafate & El Chalten, The Avenue of Volcanoes in Ecuador, Torres del Paine Circuit - Chile , Choy Oyu - Tibet. I'd be lucky if I can do 2-3 of these.
Color me very impressed. I'd love to do Nepal - it's been my dream forever. I have to watch where we go now as my wife has auto-immune issues and it's a huge risk to take her to any 3rd-world countries.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

VictoriaF wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:24 pm Late retirement has an opportunity cost.

Even if you are not interested in travel, don't have hobbies, and don't want to accomplish anything specific--the later you retire the more difficult it is to adjust to retirement. It is increasingly difficult to shed workplace habits including your sense of identity and the structured life, make new friends, and try new things. Every year you work is a year you spend in a sitting position in air conditioned rooms instead of hiking in mountains. Every year you work you are not getting enough sleep and getting too much stress; in retirement it's the other way around.

There are also psychological factors. If you retire early, you have self-expectation to use your time to the fullest. If you retire late, you feel that you "deserve" to vegetate in front of TV. The former prolongs your life and enhances its quality; the latter does not.

Victoria
OTOH, there is an opportunity cost of leaving money on the table. I have found it is difficult to be sure that we have enough. That NOUGH is against the unpredictable future.

I agree that there is no need to spend time to make money that you will never be able to spend in your life time. But I also don't want to come back to work on a $20k a year job at HomeDepot or Kroger.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

JDTHOOSIER wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:47 pm
Theseus wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:47 pm

Color me very impressed. I'd love to do Nepal - it's been my dream forever. I have to watch where we go now as my wife has auto-immune issues and it's a huge risk to take her to any 3rd-world countries.
What is the excitement to the Nepal? Are you talking about climbing the highest mountain peak in the world? That would be very challenging. I am not sure if I can do it now.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

VictoriaF wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:24 pm There are also psychological factors. If you retire early, you have self-expectation to use your time to the fullest. If you retire late, you feel that you "deserve" to vegetate in front of TV. The former prolongs your life and enhances its quality; the latter does not.

Victoria
I have seen research both ways on if early retirement prolongs or shortens life and know of nothing definitive. And from what I have read here, it seems like the folks planning to retire the earliest are the ones who want to kick back the most. I don't think you can make a broad sweeping generalization. I see people who are living life to the fullest while working continuing to do so whenever they retire and those who naturally just like to kick back continuing to in retirement and those who put things off when working pushing continuing the pattern. Personally, I don't believe retirement changes your basic personality or drives they are just directed in different ways.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Lynette wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:00 am I toured the world while still working till 73 - 4 or 5 international trips each year for over 20 years. I fixed up my house and garden. Today I have to modify a trench I dug to get the water runoff from the new driveway to the catch basin at the back of the house. I thought I'd splurge and get my landscaper to do this. He says they are so busy but call him in April! So today is leaf pickup day. Alexa tells me what the weather will be for the next week. Maybe I'll modify my trench myself. I'm taking classes in Spanish and photography at a community college start in January. I deliberately decided to isolate myself so that I did not get too involved with social and volunteer activities. That isn't working very well ...

As Nisiprius said, you don't really know until you get there how your health will be .. I simply assumed it was best to do long overseas trips in my fifties and sixties.
I am curious about your purpose of learning Spanish and the progress? I have been learning Spanish online for a few years and feel that it is difficult to make progress beyond the first round of duolingo.com.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:29 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:24 pm There are also psychological factors. If you retire early, you have self-expectation to use your time to the fullest. If you retire late, you feel that you "deserve" to vegetate in front of TV. The former prolongs your life and enhances its quality; the latter does not.

Victoria
I have seen research both ways on if early retirement prolongs or shortens life and know of nothing definitive. And from what I have read here, it seems like the folks planning to retire the earliest are the ones who want to kick back the most. I don't think you can make a broad sweeping generalization. I see people who are living life to the fullest while working continuing to do so whenever they retire and those who naturally just like to kick back continuing to in retirement and those who put things off when working pushing continuing the pattern. Personally, I don't believe retirement changes your basic personality or drives they are just directed in different ways.
I guarantee I'll be physically healthier in retirement though, so that has to count for something.

I actually do pretty well on vacations, because I work out every morning before lunch after getting plenty of sleep.
UncleLongHair

Post by UncleLongHair »

I think about this a fair amount, I am in my late 40's. Some things that I hope to do in my next phase of life:

- Stay in good physical and mental health, decrease stress, jettison the things and attitudes I have needed over my working life
- Spend more time outdoors, as a job, a hobby, or just in general, live somewhere close to nature and the water
- Write a book, or at least write regularly with some kind of purpose, perhaps as some kind of job i.e. blogger or reporter
- Help people who are on a similar path to mine, such as with career or financial advice or helping them out of bad situations I know something about
- Help to develop or implement infrastructure for 3rd world countries or otherwise damaged parts of the world
- Give my kids a perspective such that they don't need to spend all of their time obsessing about earning money like I did

There are things that 10 years ago I thought I would want to do but strangely I am losing interest. These include sailing around the world, lots of travel, and leaning a language. These things now feel more like something I wanted to do and then brag about rather than something that's actually satisfying. But we'll see. There are still many parts of the world I want to see.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:55 pm I wanted to retire--and I did in 1981 at age 57.

My hobby was sailing so I earned a U.S. Coast Guard captain's license and began taking charter parties to the Bahamas and Florida Keys. I also delivered boats on the U.S. East Coast and Europe.

In 1998 I began posting on the Morningstar Diehard Forum, and then the Bogleheads Forum with more than 50,000 (total) posts trying to help others enjoy the financial success I had achieved. Bogleheads are appreciative!

It has been a good life (I'm 93).

Thank you for asking -- and best wishes.
Taylor
Wow, 50,000 posts! I had no idea you've made so many!

And you have certainly inspired me.

One of my goals is to carry on the baton, so to speak, and to pass along the investment (and life) lessons I've learned.
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

I want to do pretty much the same as I plan to do between 45 and 55. Work at a job that makes me happy, but not necessarily rich, and spend time on my health (eg. exercise, time spent out in nature etc) and with my family.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!
Watty

Post by Watty »

I retired about two years ago just before I turned 59.

I've lost a lot of weight and get more exercise so I am pretty sure that I have added more years, or at least better quality years, to my life by retiring early. Not having the stress and BS of a mega-corp job and no more bad commute help too.

We usually watch our one year old grandson one day a week and I would miss out on getting to know him if I was still working.

I just made reservations for a six week photography course next summer.

We have taken several big trips since I retired and it is nice to not be in a hurry. When we were planning our first first retirement trip it was really odd to have to decide on a return date since we could stay as long as we wanted. While I was working it was always a matter of counting vacation days to see what we could squeeze in. The daily cost of travel is a lot lower since once we are at a destination staying a few extra days often just adds the cost of a hotel and in non-peak times outside of large cities that is usually very reasonable.

Several people have mentioned wanting to do things before they have health limitations, but for a couple you also need to consider that if your spouse had health limitations that will impact your ability to do things like travel. The odds for both spouses in a couple of making it to be 65 or 70 without one of them developing health issues are not great.
emoore

Post by emoore »

Atilla wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:56 pm I want to step back from the full time rat race, get a German Shepherd puppy, do a lot more of walking and biking.

Long road trips with the wife and the new fierce protective hound to warm places in the winter, volunteer more than I do now, get to a shooting range much more.

Right now I'm pressed for time to exercise outside. I'm stuck with a (very great) golden retriever who looks to me for protection and I don't get out to shoot guns nearly as often as I would like.

And road trips - long ones. I miss those from my college motorcycle trip years.
Going to be hard to take that German Shepard on the motorcycle!
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

emoore wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:59 pm
Atilla wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:56 pm I want to step back from the full time rat race, get a German Shepherd puppy, do a lot more of walking and biking.

Long road trips with the wife and the new fierce protective hound to warm places in the winter, volunteer more than I do now, get to a shooting range much more.

Right now I'm pressed for time to exercise outside. I'm stuck with a (very great) golden retriever who looks to me for protection and I don't get out to shoot guns nearly as often as I would like.

And road trips - long ones. I miss those from my college motorcycle trip years.
Going to be hard to take that German Shepard on the motorcycle!

I think it's doable.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/428686458258263359/
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
Calli114

Post by Calli114 »

Any high altitude destinations or remote trekking may seem dicier with advancing age and possibly declining balance as well. Tibet, Nepal, and Mt. Kilimanjaro come to mind.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Calli114 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:18 pm Any high altitude destinations or remote trekking may seem dicier with advancing age and possibly declining balance as well. Tibet, Nepal, and Mt. Kilimanjaro come to mind.
The oldest man to summit Everest was 80. An 85 year-old died attempting the feat.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

1) Spend time with my kids and grandkids with relaxed pace visits. We really enjoy time with family, and it's nice to have lots of flexibility.
2) Travel quite a bit; returning to some places I've enjoyed, staying for more extended periods (weeks, months) in some places. I don't have a big bucket list of remote exotic places, but I can easily think of 50 locations where I would like to spend a month or more getting to know people and the area. Some road trips around the US are also on the list.
3) I want to take my grandkids backpacking in the high mountains. This means staying in backpacking shape until at least age 65. I'm already seeing some of the limitations in injuries and slow recovery times, so it's not something I'm guaranteed to be able to do. I may have to back down to something like the High Sierra camps in Yosemite rather than someplace more remote.
4) Be available to older family members to assist them as needed. We have several who are slowing down, though fortunately they have prepared for this stage fairly well.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Hang out at Starbucks to play chess with the regulars.

TravelforFun
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

pennywise wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:07 am
2015 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:15 pm I'm also spending a whole lot of time just "being", and I gotta tell ya, nothing beats it.

+1000

At 60 YO and with the finish line of my career coming into view....this pretty perfectly describes everything I want to do.
Not yet retired, but when I think of retirement, this sounds like my perfect plan. Don't need to travel the country, but I would like two nice vacations a year and just being free from the rat race.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

TravelforFun wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:32 pm Hang out at Starbucks to play chess with the regulars.

TravelforFun
I don't have daily Starbucks coffee budgeted in my retirement yet. But that might be the retirement lifestyle we will most likely have in most of our days. More exciting things will only take a small portion of our retirement time.
westrichj312

Post by westrichj312 »

for me it would be a 35 year old wife.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:25 pm
Calli114 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:18 pm Any high altitude destinations or remote trekking may seem dicier with advancing age and possibly declining balance as well. Tibet, Nepal, and Mt. Kilimanjaro come to mind.
The oldest man to summit Everest was 80. An 85 year-old died attempting the feat.
I don't know if I even want to attempt that. In another thread, I was talking about the more money that I have, the less likely that I want to do dangerous things.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

Grasshopper wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:01 am Ms G. and I retired in 2006 ages 50 and 54, I am now 66 bought a rancho 30 miles from Mexico. We are both active, hiking, running, walking, have lots of critters to keep us busy. Currently we only take active trips, cruising on small ships, kayaking, snorkeling, hiking. We are also starting walking trips, we did San Francisco to Point Reyes in September and booked a 2 week Amalfi Coast Italy walking trip. I was never much for long term planning, except for our financial health. We have checked off trips from our bucket list, Alaska cruise and hiking Denali, Costa Rica and Panama several times, the Galapagos, Machu Picchu, Hawaii Islands, and regular kayaking trips to the Sea of Cortez. We are both healthy and expect to keep up this pace for another 10 years at least. Cheers :beer
Did you move to Mexico immediately after retirement? DH and I are planning to retire around the same time as you but one thing I'm concerned about is social interaction since most of our friends will still be working.

-Steph
siamond

Post by siamond »

I'm right there, early retired, 55... Primary things ongoing or in sight:
- exercise regularly (after a life of not doing much), and significantly improve my health while I still can
- play tennis and do kayaking again (I did as a teenager)
- big road/fishing trips (e.g. one month long)
- fishing in new environments, for challenging species (will go after alligator gar next spring!)
- the occasional, once-in-a-lifetime, trip (Galapagos last summer)
- learn new stuff while I still have the capacity (details TBD)

But most importantly, gain full FREEDOM (while my body and mind do not overly constrain myself).
Last edited by siamond on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I might want to get my CFP just for fun. Like anyone in Germany, Massachusetts state colleges provide free tuition for those over 60. My father in law in his mid 80's takes a course every semester at the local state college as he's only a high school graduate and always wanted to attend college. The rules are pretty simple. You do have to wait for all paying students to complete registration and if there are open seats, you get to take the class. I'd imagine it would be best to look at a number of courses and be ready for whatever becomes open.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

flyingaway wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:06 pm Exactly same for me. I'm 59 and at the top of this list are:

What is the excitement to the Nepal? Are you talking about climbing the highest mountain peak in the world? That would be very challenging. I am not sure if I can do it now.
There are a few things that are very attractive for Nepal.

1. Fairly inexpensive once you are there. This includes a guide and a porter, food, night stay etc. Like $50/ day.
2. Don’t have to spend nights in a tent if you aren’t inclined to do so. They have tea houses that give you a room, bed, bathroom, toilet and cooked meals. Everything is basic but it makes it a lot easier.
3 The views I have seen in two of my treks are just in believable. I still get gooosebumps thinking about them.
4. You don’t have to climb or summit a peak. No technical climbing necessary. Both my treks ABC and EBC were just strenuous hikes.
4. You can take your own time if you want to go slow. I have seen Japanese and Korean retired groups in their late 60s and 70s doing the same trek I did. It would take me 9 days. They may take 15 days since there is no need for predetermined destination to reach each night.
5. Very happy people. It is amazing how little they have but how much happier they are. They make great company.
6. You can do it in a group, solo with your own guide, make a group as you go along.
7. Generally safe. I saw several female solo hikers. But I had heard of an attack couple of years ago. But that seems to be rare.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

flyingaway wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:24 am
I don't know if I even want to attempt that. In another thread, I was talking about the more money that I have, the less likely that I want to do dangerous things.
Realistically, unless you were very experienced you would be going with an expedition company and I believe they run about $60,000. With all the travel and acclimation I believe it is about a 4-6 week adventure. Best I could find the mortality rate among climbers is 1.6% but I would expect those numbers to be rising slightly as more and more inexperience people are using expedition companies to attempt the summit. I think the latest Everest craze was started by the book "Seven Summits" which talks about summiting the highest peak on each of the seven continents.
Frank Wells and Dick Bass had a dream. It was as straightforward as it was difficult: climb the highest mountain on each of the world's seven continents. From Aconcagua in South America to Mount Everest in Asia, from Kilimanjaro in Africa to Vinson Massif in Antarctica, from Mount McKinley in North America to Elbrus in Europe and Mount Kosciusko in Australia: no one had ever scaled all seven summits -- it would be a first, a feat that had eluded the world's best mountaineers.

What made it all the more extraordinary was that Frank and Dick were businessmen, not mountaineers. Both had had so little climbing experience that they could hardly be ranked as amateurs, let alone world-class climbers. If that weren't enough, Frank was fifty-one and Dick was already fifty-three.

What made them think they could do it? Why should two successful, middle-aged businessmen risk their lives on some of the world's most remote and treacherous slopes?

Now, with veteran climber and writer Rick Ridgeway, Frank Wells and Dick Bass tell their story. It's all here: the frustrations and triumphs, the setbacks and the amazing successes. With a breathtaking determination and a love of adventure as large as Everest itself, they take you from the weeks of preparation to the anguish of their first ascents, from grueling days when it seemed easier to quit to the thrilling moments when a summit had been conquered.

This riveting saga brings you into the heart of courage and ambition, into an indomitable will to succeed that led two men from their comfortable lives at home in America to the harsh but beckoning wilds of Seven Summits.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:30 am
flyingaway wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:24 am
Realistically, unless you were very experienced you would be going with an expedition company and I believe they run about $60,000. With all the travel and acclimation I believe it is about a 4-6 week adventure. Best I could find the mortality rate among climbers is 1.6% but I would expect those numbers to be rising slightly as more and more inexperience people are using expedition companies to attempt the summit. I think the latest Everest craze was started by the book "Seven Summits" which talks about summiting the highest peak on each of the seven continents.
Frank Wells and Dick Bass had a dream. It was as straightforward as it was difficult: climb the highest mountain on each of the world's seven continents. From Aconcagua in South America to Mount Everest in Asia, from Kilimanjaro in Africa to Vinson Massif in Antarctica, from Mount McKinley in North America to Elbrus in Europe and Mount Kosciusko in Australia: no one had ever scaled all seven summits -- it would be a first, a feat that had eluded the world's best mountaineers.

What made it all the more extraordinary was that Frank and Dick were businessmen, not mountaineers. Both had had so little climbing experience that they could hardly be ranked as amateurs, let alone world-class climbers. If that weren't enough, Frank was fifty-one and Dick was already fifty-three.

What made them think they could do it? Why should two successful, middle-aged businessmen risk their lives on some of the world's most remote and treacherous slopes?

Now, with veteran climber and writer Rick Ridgeway, Frank Wells and Dick Bass tell their story. It's all here: the frustrations and triumphs, the setbacks and the amazing successes. With a breathtaking determination and a love of adventure as large as Everest itself, they take you from the weeks of preparation to the anguish of their first ascents, from grueling days when it seemed easier to quit to the thrilling moments when a summit had been conquered.

This riveting saga brings you into the heart of courage and ambition, into an indomitable will to succeed that led two men from their comfortable lives at home in America to the harsh but beckoning wilds of Seven Summits.
You now make me wonder if I should attack the harder targets first, in line of the thread. Frankly speaking, although I have been thinking about visiting all the countries in the world, I know that is a goal which is unachievable with my weak determination. So I will be happy to have visited many places.
But I hope I will not regret at 70 that I did not attemp those harder targets when I was around 55.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Theseus wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:21 am
flyingaway wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:06 pm Exactly same for me. I'm 59 and at the top of this list are:

1. Fairly inexpensive once you are there. This includes a guide and a porter, food, night stay etc. Like $50/ day.
2. Don’t have to spend nights in a tent if you aren’t inclined to do so. They have tea houses that give you a room, bed, bathroom, toilet and cooked meals. Everything is basic but it makes it a lot easier.
3 The views I have seen in two of my treks are just in believable. I still get gooosebumps thinking about them.
4. You don’t have to climb or summit a peak. No technical climbing necessary. Both my treks ABC and EBC were just strenuous hikes.
4. You can take your own time if you want to go slow. I have seen Japanese and Korean retired groups in their late 60s and 70s doing the same trek I did. It would take me 9 days. They may take 15 days since there is no need for predetermined destination to reach each night.
5. Very happy people. It is amazing how little they have but how much happier they are. They make great company.
6. You can do it in a group, solo with your own guide, make a group as you go along.
7. Generally safe. I saw several female solo hikers. But I had heard of an attack couple of years ago. But that seems to be rare.
This would be really challenging to me, as I have some breath problem at high altitude. But if I could convince my wife to give up her European fantasy, I might do that with an oxygen tank. (We will do some climbing next May in Peru).
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

munemaker wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:35 pm
flyingaway wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:34 pm

Possible things that come into my mind are: ... dating a much younger person, etc.
Sounds good on paper, but:
1) I don't think there is a much younger woman who would have me.
2) My wife has an issue with it.
My 2 thoughts on this were:
1) My husband would have an issue with it.
2) I sure hope my husband doesn't have this on his bucket list! :D
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

flyingaway wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:50 am

This would be really challenging to me, as I have some breath problem at high altitude. But if I could convince my wife to give up her European fantasy, I might do that with an oxygen tank. (We will do some climbing next May in Peru).
I’m already worrying about taking the Glacier Express because of the high altitude, I don’t have a desire to take on that kind of risk in my old age. I need no more than 4% decline of my health, no sequence of risks unnecessary. I also have fear of height as I get older. I didn’t climb up to the Eiffel Tower in my 40s either but my family did.
Toons

Post by Toons »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:18 am
Toons wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:56 pm Always wanted to travel the United States Of America in a class B -RV.
Accomplished.

:happy
This is my work in progress.
Belive ,Acheive,Succeed :sharebeer
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Last edited by Lynette on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

flyingaway wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:50 am

There are many treks in Nepal that are considered low to moderate difficulty level. So you have many choices and you can customize.

But before you embark get your doctor’s advise. And train well - especially on stair climbers.

Most important thing in higher altitude treks is marking sure you don’t climb too fast and acclimatize properly. From what I have heard and seen fit and younger people get altitude sickness more often than out of shape and older/slower people. Mostly because fit people translate their level of fitness in their ability to acclimatize. So they gain altitude much faster (e.g getting to their destination each day much faster than others) and ALS can creep in without notice. Slower altitude gain each day helps significantly with acclimatization.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.