What are the things you want to do between 55 and 65?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
flyingaway

What are the things you want to do between 55 and 65?

Post by flyingaway » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:34 pm

One of the major reasons for my OMYs is that I could not identify things that are significant or critical enough to require me to quit my work right now. So I would like to ask those members who are in a position to answer this question:

What are the things that you want(ed) (wish(ed)) to do between 55 and 65, but you may (might) not be able to do after 65 or beyond? The precise ages are not important, but hopefully you get the idea?

Possible things that come into my mind are: Staying with your parents, travelling to challenging places, dating a much younger person, etc.

WalterMitty

Re: What are the things you want to do between 55 and 65?

Post by WalterMitty » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:50 pm

I can't answer for myself as I'm not there yet, but for my inlaws it was a getting a boat. They live in the Chicago burbs, but wanted a boat in downtown Chicago. They wanted to enjoy it while they were still very able-bodied. They first got a power boat, then a sailboat. They kept if for many years, and then last year sold the boat and bought a condo in Chicago. In many ways their boat was a floating condo anyway, but they did enjoy being on the water for many years. Now they love their condo and have no regrets.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:50 pm

Stay healthy physically and mentally, more important than money in this age group.

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:44 pm

When our friends, neighbors, and colleagues were all pretty much under age 50, it was very unusual for us to hear of someone dying or becoming disabled due to a medical condition or disease.

Once we hit 50, we started to regularly (every year or so) find out that someone in our age group had died or become seriously ill. Now that we have hit our early 60s, we lose people we know to death a couple times a year.

So when I think of things that I might not be able to do after 65, I think more in terms of "will I be alive to do anything?" rather than physical or mental limitations as I age.

It sounds trite, but tomorrow really is promised to no one.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:56 pm

I want to step back from the full time rat race, get a German Shepherd puppy, do a lot more of walking and biking.

Long road trips with the wife and the new fierce protective hound to warm places in the winter, volunteer more than I do now, get to a shooting range much more.

Right now I'm pressed for time to exercise outside. I'm stuck with a (very great) golden retriever who looks to me for protection and I don't get out to shoot guns nearly as often as I would like.

And road trips - long ones. I miss those from my college motorcycle trip years.
Last edited by Atilla on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moderator Warning-Free Since 2017.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:00 pm

I have a bucket list of hikes/treks I want to go on - most of them are fairly challenging (at least for me). Usually I can do once a year. If my knees support me I have 10 years in the best case. But most likely I have 3-5 years.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:35 pm

The desire to travel more and spend more time with family and friends led me to ask for a part-time job last year. We've been able to take short trips with friends regularly during many of my four-day weekends and it has been great. Thanks to my President/CEO for being compassionate and Southwest for the companion pass.

TravelforFun

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:56 pm

Always wanted to travel the United States Of America in a class B -RV.
Accomplished.

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:51 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:35 pm
The desire to travel more and spend more time with family and friends led me to ask for a part-time job last year. We've been able to take short trips with friends regularly during many of my four-day weekends and it has been great. Thanks to my President/CEO for being compassionate and Southwest for the companion pass.

TravelforFun
I am fortunate to have a job that can be described as part-time, so I have a lot of time to do many things. I just have not found something that requires me to quit my job.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:55 pm

I wanted to retire--and I did in 1981 at age 57.

My hobby was sailing so I earned a U.S. Coast Guard captain's license and began taking charter parties to the Bahamas and Florida Keys. I also delivered boats on the U.S. East Coast and Europe.

In 1998 I began posting on the Morningstar Diehard Forum, and then the Bogleheads Forum with more than 50,000 (total) posts trying to help others enjoy the financial success I had achieved. Bogleheads are appreciative!

It has been a good life (I'm 93).

Thank you for asking -- and best wishes.
Taylor
Last edited by Taylor Larimore on Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:06 pm

I have been working part-time since my kids graduated from college and I was in my early 50s. I'm very happy and can work as much or as little as I choose. We travel as much or as little as we choose as well. We have more than enough money to do what we want, when we want it. I'm happy and so is H, who is fully retired since the kids' college expenses and tuitions are fully paid.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:07 pm

I want to engage with my children before they leave home. Right now, after work, I'm so busy shopping, cooking, cleaning, that I don't sit down until it's time for them to go to bed. Our relationship is mostly be telling them what to do and being constantly stressed. I also want to get back in shape and do challenging travel before my knees and back give out.

Post by 2015 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:15 pm

A lot of emphasis on "doing", just like in a job, where the doing is seemingly Sisyphean. While I'm definitely "doing" what my heart desires in retirement, I'm also spending a whole lot of time just "being", and I gotta tell ya, nothing beats it.

The joy of being free to read outdoors at the city's library cafe, expanding degrees of fulfillment and satisfaction in my own life, instead of going to some job to solve the problems or agenda of something or someone else can't be adequately described.

Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:25 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:55 pm

My hobby was sailing so I earned a U.S. Coast Guard captain's license and began taking charter parties to the Bahamas and Florida Keys. I also delivered boats on the U.S. East Coast and Europe.

In 1998 I began posting on the Morningstar Diehard Forum, and then the Bogleheads Forum with more than 50,000 (total) posts trying to help others enjoy the financial success I had achieved. Bogleheads are appreciative!

Taylor
You have a truly wonderful hobby. I am just curious, at the time of your retiring, did you expect to enjoy your hobby so long?

gips

Post by gips » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:31 pm

- Focus on health and exercise: since I retired 1.5 years ago, I've lost 15 pounds and improved my cardiovascular capacity.
- I was able to spend more time with my daughter, saw almost every one of her varsity tennis matches senior year.
- extended travel
- giving back to our community
- taking online classes in non-work related subjects
- cooking

FraggleRock

do between 55 and 65?

Post by FraggleRock » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:34 pm

Oops. Too late. Age 69.05.
Time to end it all, I guess.
No trip to España in 2018.
No trip to Italia in 2019.
Last edited by FraggleRock on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:55 pm

Toons wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:56 pm
Accomplished.
Roadtrek Envy.
. . . . never ends. . . . :shock:
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Topic Author
flyingaway

Re: do between 55 and 65?

Post by flyingaway » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:56 pm

FraggleRock wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:34 pm
No trip to Español in 2018.
My OP did not mean to be anything other than honestly seeking help.

My earliest possible retiring age is 55. Since I have not found anything that definitely requires me to quit my job to pursue, I may do a few OMYs. But 65 is the absolutely latest age for me to retire. I just want to know if I might miss anything that I may view important because of my OMYs.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:59 pm

2015 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:15 pm
A lot of emphasis on "doing", just like in a job, where the doing is seemingly Sisyphean. While I'm definitely "doing" what my heart desires in retirement, I'm also spending a whole lot of time just "being", and I gotta tell ya, nothing beats it.

The joy of being free to read outdoors at the city's library cafe, expanding degrees of fulfillment and satisfaction in my own life, instead of going to some job to solve the problems or agenda of something or someone else can't be adequately described.
The only time I really enjoy just being is very early in the morning when the world is quiet. The best such moment was around 4:30 in front of a fire on the Maasai Mara. Years ago I saw a lone tent glowing on a mountain snow field while eating dinner at the Banff Springs Hotel, I remember wishing I was spending the night in that dome tent instead of my room. It was an image of perfect serenity to me.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:08 pm

Buy more apartment buildings>cancelled. Fugedabudit. Going the "boglehead route" henceforth.
Retire and move from HCOL to LCOL. Liquidate business> mostly done.
Retire to a mini ranch with DW > done.
Play all the resort golf courses in Hawaii before leaving (hcol >lcol) > mostly done.
Travel across the USA and around the world to pursue photo journalism in depth with DW who is also a photographer. > pending.
Buy a Roadtrek or Travato RV and travel the USA, etc. > pending.
Play all the famous golf courses > cancelled.

The largest hurdle post 65 thereabouts is lifestyle limitation due to health. It takes the forefront more than it ever has at age 30-40-50-60.
Thanks for posting this topic.
Actionably advice:
Do everything you can while you can . . .as soon as you can. . . because the day there's a handicap license plate on the car is a big "wake up call".

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
J :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

rec7

Post by rec7 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:12 pm

delamer wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:44 pm
When our friends, neighbors, and colleagues were all pretty much under age 50, it was very unusual for us to hear of someone dying or becoming disabled due to a medical condition or disease.

Once we hit 50, we started to regularly (every year or so) find out that someone in our age group had died or become seriously ill. Now that we have hit our early 60s, we lose people we know to death a couple times a year.

So when I think of things that I might not be able to do after 65, I think more in terms of "will I be alive to do anything?" rather than physical or mental limitations as I age.

It sounds trite, but tomorrow really is promised to no one.
I saw three neighbors die in their early sixties. All with in a stones throw of the place we live. It really makes you think deep. Not everybody heads out at 90 like the media likes you to believe.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:18 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:50 pm
Stay healthy physically and mentally, more important than money in this age group.
+1, I've been trying very hard to loose some weight (abt 10 lbs in last couple weeks) and challenge myself to hike more (up to 8 mi rugged course a couple times/week. In the 55-65 time frame, I feel better, more energy, sleep better and work seems to be more pleasant. Coming down the home stretch so if I can stay healthy, eat well, enjoy life, the transition to retirement should be worth the effort.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:25 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:25 pm
Taylor Larimore wrote:

Taylor
You have a truly wonderful hobby. I am just curious, at the time of your retiring, did you expect to enjoy your hobby so long?
Flyingaway:

I must admit I never expected to live this long, much less be able to race a sailboat almost every Saturday (my two boys and I placed 2nd last Saturday).

I am very thankful for reaching age 93 and feeling fit-- especially after battling four types of cancer -- one of which left me speechless so that I must use an electronic helper.

Our Miami family is very close and active. We have invited 28 Larimore's from around the country to enjoy a family reunion and Thanksgiving dinner on Biscayne Bay aboard a boat we've chartered for the event. They will be surprised to learn that I have written another Boglehead book. I wish I could invite every Boglehead to join us.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

J295

Post by J295 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:38 pm

In no order (57 and retired)
Play competitive and recreational golf
Spend more time with parents
Relocate temporarily from time to time to see more of kids and grandkids
Radically embrace the spiritual life
Say yes to random opportunities

Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:46 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:25 pm
flyingaway wrote:
Taylor Larimore wrote:

Taylor
Flyingaway:

I must admit I never expected to live this long, much less be able to race a sailboat almost every Saturday (my two boys and I placed 2nd last Saturday).

I am very thankful for reaching age 93 and feeling fit-- especially after battling four types of cancer -- one of which left me speechless so that I must use an electronic helper.

Our Miami family is very close and active. We have invited 28 Larimore's from around the country to enjoy a family reunion and Thanksgiving dinner on Biscayne Bay aboard a boat we've chartered for the event. They will be surprised to learn that I have written another Boglehead book. I wish I could invite every Boglehead to join us.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Taylor:

Thank you! I hope to have a hobby that can last for a long time.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:59 pm
2015 wrote:

The only time I really enjoy just being is very early in the morning when the world is quiet. The best such moment was around 4:30 in front of a fire on the Maasai Mara. Years ago I saw a lone tent glowing on a mountain snow field while eating dinner at the Banff Springs Hotel, I remember wishing I was spending the night in that dome tent instead of my room. It was an image of perfect serenity to me.
I wish to be at a slightly more modern (warm and foreign) location, drinking a cold beer and just watching people go by.

Joeko

Post by Joeko » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:52 pm

Surf and long hikes

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:16 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 pm
TheTimeLord wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:59 pm
2015 wrote:

I wish to be at a slightly more modern (warm and foreign) location, drinking a cold beer and just watching people go by.
Maasai Mara is pretty warm during the day but people watching isn't the primary activity. Maybe you would like Buenos Aires or go casual and try Cozumel.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

cfs

Post by cfs » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:35 pm

The 55-65 window is closing on me. I could not visit a few dreamed places due to the geopolitical situation. No regrets. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:16 am

Focus on my health and my sleep, trying to stay healthy, I did manage to lose 10-20lbs, couldn’t do that before with my long commute. Long extension of travelling, go any time and anywhere whenever I feel like with my husband. No restriction. The best part is I get to rediscover my artistic side through my classes at the local community college. I now can combine my love of art and travelling, I’ve been painting some of my favorite vacation photos a la Monet style. But basically I get to enjoy my life in a leisure place before illness set in.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:18 am

Toons wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:56 pm
Accomplished.

This is my work in progress.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:34 am

flyingaway wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:51 pm
I am fortunate to have a job that can be described as part-time, so I have a lot of time to do many things. I just have not found something that requires me to quit my job.
There is no reason for you to retire. There's no sweeter gig than working at a University.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:45 am

My wife and I want to move to a retirement community that has lot of activities. Sports, clubs, card-games. A chance to meet new people and make new friends... We're working hard to get some of our family members to join us.

Warmer place near Phoenix - we'd probably spend 7 months a year there from November to May.

But we also have a lake house where we would spend our summers with a boat and jetskis. Different set of friends there. I think it be a very fun change of pace to switch back and forth each year. Keeps us from getting tired of one area.

Like to have more time to get in shape, go for walks and easy hikes with my wife.

Like to have time to learn some programming, and mess around with Android/IPhone apps.

Like to have time to play water volleyball and basketball in a league, ping-pong, spades, poker, watch some football without guilt about chores because weekend time is limited.

Like to volunteer my time at Habitat for Humanity.

Like to have my children and grandkids visit me at the lake house for long easy-going vacations (Grandkids can stay as long as they like).

Like to spend time with MY parents (they live fairly close to the lake house).

Like to take a 7-week cruise through the Pacific, starting with Seattle and Alaska, and ending up in Australia/New Zealand.

And there's plenty more...

carolinaman

Re: do between 55 and 65?

Post by carolinaman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:24 am

flyingaway wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:56 pm
FraggleRock wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:34 pm
No trip to Español in 2018.
My OP did not mean to be anything other than honestly seeking help.

My earliest possible retiring age is 55. Since I have not found anything that definitely requires me to quit my job to pursue, I may do a few OMYs. But 65 is the absolutely latest age for me to retire. I just want to know if I might miss anything that I may view important because of my OMYs.
I would recommend doing whatever travel you wish to do in that age bracket, whether it be international, cross country or other. Travel can be physically demanding, especially international travel, and many people begin to have physical limitations in that age bracket. Also, try to do any physically demanding things such as strenuous hiking, mountain climbing, triathalons, etc.

It is important to eat right, get plenty of exercise and take care of yourself so you will have a better chance of doing the things you wish to do. Establish and maintain good family and social connections so you can enjoy the journey together. Finally, and most importantly, have an overarching purpose to your life. Forgive the philosophy, but many people are so consumed with their work and then they retire without any real purpose to replace it. There is life after work.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:02 am

For me before 55;

Do the bike "race" from Miami to Key West
Do an Olympic distance Triathlon
Do some Treking in Nepal

I hope to continue Sprint distance Tri's well into my 70's

Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:06 am

HomerJ wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:34 am
flyingaway wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:51 pm
There is no reason for you to retire. There's no sweeter gig than working at a University.
I don't have enough money to do all the (or many) things I want to do in retirement yet. I have enough to maintain my current life style.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:07 am

2015 wrote:
I'm also spending a whole lot of time just "being", and I gotta tell ya, nothing beats it.

+1000

At 60 YO and with the finish line of my career coming into view....this pretty perfectly describes everything I want to do.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:13 am

HomerJ wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:34 am
Yes colleges are full of smart, motivated paople but when you tell a Gen Z student no and he goes directly to the provost to (literally) say you are mean to him and your dean spends the next couple of days frantically trying to appease Provost and Brat.....not as much fun as you may remember on campus :wink:

And those are the days your thoughts turn to living life post-retirement without having to deal with bratty students and cowed administrators!

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:28 am

Spend time with our children before they head off to college and get busy with their lives.

queso

Post by queso » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:33 am

I have started to think about punching out in the next 5-10 years or so. DW has no desire to retire, but we do have the option to live abroad on her company's dime so I may just follow her to wherever she goes. If I can talk her into retiring as well I'd love to pick up a 55' cat and sail the Caribbean until I either get too old to do it or get tired of it (not likely).

SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:40 am

Retired last month at 58.

Wanted to reduce my stress level: DONE

Get more sleep and improve my physical condition.1st one accomplished working on the second.

Do more mountain biking. This will be trying due to physical conditions but it's a work in progress.

Traveling. One big trip last month and 3 already planned for 2018. Looking forward to more of this when my wife retires in a few years.

Spend more time with friends and revitalizing my existing friendships.

SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:42 am

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:25 pm
flyingaway wrote:
Taylor Larimore wrote:

Taylor
Flyingaway:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Enjoy your reunion and Happy Thanksgiving!

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:52 am

You won't know what they are until you start doing them, because one thing leads to another. And the decline of "being able" because of fitness and health is a completely unknown variable.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:57 am

Start seriously cleaning out all the crap accumulated over the years that is no longer used and that the kids won't want (or need, or have a place to store). I started this shortly before 55, starting with a racecar and enclosed trailer, a boat, a snowmobile, a Lotus, most recently a custom racing road bike built in 1974, a dozen guitars, my silver coins that were a stupid buy, a pnumatic air driven floor jack, and little things that will go on craigslist.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:01 am

Ms G. and I retired in 2006 ages 50 and 54, I am now 66 bought a rancho 30 miles from Mexico. We are both active, hiking, running, walking, have lots of critters to keep us busy. Currently we only take active trips, cruising on small ships, kayaking, snorkeling, hiking. We are also starting walking trips, we did San Francisco to Point Reyes in September and booked a 2 week Amalfi Coast Italy walking trip. I was never much for long term planning, except for our financial health. We have checked off trips from our bucket list, Alaska cruise and hiking Denali, Costa Rica and Panama several times, the Galapagos, Machu Picchu, Hawaii Islands, and regular kayaking trips to the Sea of Cortez. We are both healthy and expect to keep up this pace for another 10 years at least. Cheers :beer

Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:16 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:57 am
Start seriously cleaning out all the crap accumulated over the years that is no longer used and that the kids won't want (or need, or have a place to store). I started this shortly before 55, starting with a racecar and enclosed trailer, a boat, a snowmobile, a Lotus, most recently a custom racing road bike built in 1974, a dozen guitars, my silver coins that were a stupid buy, a pnumatic air driven floor jack, and little things that will go on craigslist.
I have started cleaning my office, throwing away books and papers, my own publications. I know that I will not need them, even if I stay for a few more years.

Now back to the house. No, my wife just told me this morning that if she retires, she will spend a considerable amount of time just to do shopping.

Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:21 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:08 pm
Buy more apartment buildings>cancelled. Fugedabudit. Going the "boglehead route" henceforth.
Retire and move from HCOL to LCOL. Liquidate business> mostly done.
Retire to a mini ranch with DW > done.
Play all the resort golf courses in Hawaii before leaving (hcol >lcol) > mostly done.
Travel across the USA and around the world to pursue photo journalism in depth with DW who is also a photographer. > pending.
Buy a Roadtrek or Travato RV and travel the USA, etc. > pending.
Play all the famous golf courses > cancelled.

The largest hurdle post 65 thereabouts is lifestyle limitation due to health. It takes the forefront more than it ever has at age 30-40-50-60.
Thanks for posting this topic.
Actionably advice:
Do everything you can while you can . . .as soon as you can. . . because the day there's a handicap license plate on the car is a big "wake up call".

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
J :D
That is so true. I am doing many of the things that I want to do in retirement while not fully retired. I call it experimenting retirement.

Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:56 am

queso wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:33 am
I have started to think about punching out in the next 5-10 years or so. DW has no desire to retire, but we do have the option to live abroad on her company's dime so I may just follow her to wherever she goes. If I can talk her into retiring as well I'd love to pick up a 55' cat and sail the Caribbean until I either get too old to do it or get tired of it (not likely).
I do not have a plan to do things like sailing the Caribbean, unless you meant on a cruise ship. I might do those things when I was in my 20s or 30s.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:00 am

I toured the world while still working till 73 - 4 or 5 international trips each year for over 20 years. I fixed up my house and garden. Today I have to modify a trench I dug to get the water runoff from the new driveway to the catch basin at the back of the house. I thought I'd splurge and get my landscaper to do this. He says they are so busy but call him in April! So today is leaf pickup day. Alexa tells me what the weather will be for the next week. Maybe I'll modify my trench myself. I'm taking classes in Spanish and photography at a community college start in January. I deliberately decided to isolate myself so that I did not get too involved with social and volunteer activities. That isn't working very well ...

As Nisiprius said, you don't really know until you get there how your health will be .. I simply assumed it was best to do long overseas trips in my fifties and sixties.

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:32 am

Retired this year at 57/56 with this decade at the top of our minds.... So far, we have these things on the "do sooner rather than later" list--and some are booked:
  • Strenuous liveaboard diving--Fiji, Cocos, Galapagos, etc. Diving involving complex travel--much of south pacific and indian oceans, at least from here....

Other demanding travels. After the Peruvian Andes, we (as expected) have placed other multi-day treks on our short term list, and DW is buying camping gear. Canyon/mountain trips in the american west fit here. So too, even multi-month carry-on only trips could get problematic as we age; so we are going to be on the road for over half of each year, I think.

Antarctic cruise (our first cruise, probably)--even though you can do it with less physical vigor, the excursions appear better done with good legs/lungs. Wildlife viewing trip in Southern Africa is also in this subcategory.

As noted by others, time with family, both for joy and (anticipated) caregiving. We are geographically closest to octogenarian in-laws (but 8 hour drive). Being able to be there, if we are not out of the country, will be beneficial. More likely than not, we will also be able to see our sons and their wives more frequently than once or twice a year now.

Such other things as we add to the activity list. Maybe go back to skiing? Bicycling tours?
We'll keep up with the physical conditioning/training to optimize the chances of being able to continue the physically demanding activities beyond age 65, as we know many people can. But at this point, we would rather take advantage of known health than to bet on unknown continued health!
Edit Signature