Drive it till it dies. It died.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
IMO

Re: Drive it till it dies. It died.

Post by IMO »

testing321 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:33 pm
Some of the older model Nissans with CVTs had the warranty extended to 100,000 miles, and many of those got new transmissions installed for free. With these cars, it is best to sell it before, say, 100,000 miles or maybe even earlier.
Actually did a search. Nissan appears to have accepted responsibility for the defective CVT for your car (2003-2010). The warranty was actually doubled to 10 yrs and 120,000 miles.

http://www.nissanassist.com/faqs.php?menu=3

Furthermore, on that site it states:

"Q17.
If my vehicle is outside of the extended warranty, how will you address any service issues with my CVT?

A. Most vehicles equipped with a CVT that are out of warranty will now be brought back into warranty with the new 10 year/120,000 mile coverage. In the unlikely event you need a repair beyond the extended warranty period, Nissan is working to change the repair process and reduce the cost of repairs. Also, the MSRP of a replacement CVT has already been reduced. "

So given the above, I'd contact Nissan and ask about question #17" and clarify if the dealer charging you $6,000 is the "changed repair process and reduced cost of repairs and if it includes the MSRP reduced price?

But I will say as someone else has mentioned it, while some cars can/do make it to 200,000 or even 300,000 miles, it seems generally a bit unrealistic to expect every transmission to make it to 200,000+ miles no matter what make/brand. I think when Nissan extended the warranty for their CVT on those cars, that was basically done to help bring back faith for consumers in their brand. If they are so certain about their current transmission quality, then it seems a bit odd that they wouldn't up warranty on the transmissions of all their new cars to 10 yrs/120,000 miles.

I know someone who's Murano's transmission went out at around 100K, but that person got rid of the car. Probably was before the extended warranty was put in place. I'm sure he'll be pleased to hear that he could have kept the car and had Nissan replace his transmission for free. :annoyed
soupcxan

Post by soupcxan »

[deleted]
Last edited by soupcxan on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wander

Post by wander »

hightower wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:15 pm Transmission failure at 140k miles = terrible car, never buy that make/model again. Buy a honda or toyota. You won't see a transmission failure until 250k or more.
I have a Nissan, not a Murano, that has 400k+ miles with original transmission. It's not below any Honda or Toyota standard, IMHO.
testing321

Post by testing321 »

IMO wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:21 amActually did a search. Nissan appears to have accepted responsibility for the defective CVT for your car (2003-2010). The warranty was actually doubled to 10 yrs and 120,000 miles.

I think when Nissan extended the warranty for their CVT on those cars, that was basically done to help bring back faith for consumers in their brand. If they are so certain about their current transmission quality, then it seems a bit odd that they wouldn't up warranty on the transmissions of all their new cars to 10 yrs/120,000 miles.
So owners of a 2003-2010 model are good to 120k miles, but those with a later model are only good for 60k. Not good news. I own a later model Nissan Rogue and it needed a extra cooler installed on the CVT that was covered by the warranty. This was due to overheating which caused the car to occasionally go into limp mode.

Many (most?) Hondas, Fords and Toyotas now come with CVTs and I would be surprised if they didn't have similar problems. Mazda models don't have them yet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... nsmissions
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:31 am
hightower wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:15 pm
corwin wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:39 am The transmission (CVT) went out in my 2010 Nissan Murano with 140K miles. It will cost $6,000 to replace the CVT at the dealership. I don't want to put anymore money into the car. I already spent $4,500 earlier this year.

How do I sell a car that won't run if I don't trade it in at the dealership?

We will probably buy a used Murano, 2014 or 15 model year. The dealership has some available but I don't want to limit my choices to just them.

Anyone been in this situation before?
Transmission failure at 140k miles = terrible car, never buy that make/model again. Buy a honda or toyota. You won't see a transmission failure until 250k or more.
Early 00s Honda Odysseys had horrible transmission problems. My family had one that went through 3 transmissions in the first 100k miles. Which is not to say that's the rule- just that any brand can have issues here and there.
Yes, the bolded statement is factually untrue. We were the unfortunate owners of an '01 Odyssey. It was on its 5th transmission when we finally traded it in for $1000 credit on a new car. The first transmission failed within a couple of years, Honda replaced it. That transmission failed but was under a warranty extension Honda had offered on these transmissions, thank goodness. When that one failed, we paid AAMCO for a replacement. When that one failed, AAMCO replaced it. A year later when it started giving us trouble again (it was limping along daily to my husband's office which was lucikly only a 3-mile distance), we gave up.

I don't understand the OP's loyalty to the Murano. I know his experience and mine are anecdotal, but...Honda and I are never ever ever getting back together. That van was such a painful experience that I will never forget. We've had similarly bad experiences with GM brands (Chevy and Cadillac). We've had good luck with Fords (Taurus & F150) and Toyota (Camry, Corolla, & Lexus).

OP, here are plenty of other car makes that haven't had a chance to burn you yet. :D Give one a try.