Drive it till it dies. It died.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
corwin

Drive it till it dies. It died.

Post by corwin »

The transmission (CVT) went out in my 2010 Nissan Murano with 140K miles. It will cost $6,000 to replace the CVT at the dealership. I don't want to put anymore money into the car. I already spent $4,500 earlier this year.

How do I sell a car that won't run if I don't trade it in at the dealership?

We will probably buy a used Murano, 2014 or 15 model year. The dealership has some available but I don't want to limit my choices to just them.

Anyone been in this situation before?
Goal33

Re: Drive it till it dies. It died.

Post by Goal33 »

Some options off the top of my head

You get it fixed someplace else cheaper (then keep driving or sell private party)

You trade it into the dealership for whatever they’ll offer (as-is).

You sell it on Craigslist for parts.

You sell it on Craigslist noting it needs transmission work (as-is).

You donate it for a deduction.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Regarding the old car, maybe you can put an add on Craigslist and see if a Nissan enthusiast who wants to take on the transmission rebuild will want to buy it from you. Otherwise, your only option may be to call a junk yard and sell it for scrap.

Why would you buy a newer version of a car that just had a transmission failure at 140k? I would be inclined to never buy Nissan again.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

As "Goal33" said, the vehicle with worthless except as spare parts if it doesn't move.

Call your local, independent transmission shops and get their opinion. You may have to put a few thousand into it in order to sell it for a reasonable price.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
onourway

Post by onourway »

Why does it have to be replaced by a dealer? I would suspect it could be swapped for under $2k at an independent shop. You will recoup all of this by having a driveable vehicle to sell.

Also curious why you would buy another version of a vehicle that just dumped a transmission at a relatively young age?
soupcxan

Post by soupcxan »

[deleted]
Last edited by soupcxan on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

aristotelian wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:48 am Why would you buy a newer version of a car that just had a transmission failure at 140k? I would be inclined to never buy Nissan again.
This. It is not normal for a 7-8 year old car to be totaled out due to maintenance/wear. I can't imagine why, after experiencing a transmission failure essentially junking your vehicle, you'd want to rush out and buy another vehicle with the exact same transmission that just failed on you.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Yeah, avoid Nissan CVT's like the plague. I think 2011 and 2012 might be ok years for them (I have a 2011 Altima) just prior to when they went to a new design
Watty

Post by Watty »

onourway wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:50 am Why does it have to be replaced by a dealer? I would suspect it could be swapped for under $2k at an independent shop.
+1

It is rare for a dealership to do repairs for a reasonable price. Some of them have rightly earned the nickname "Stealership". Once a car is past the warranty is rarely makes sense to have it maintained at a dealership.

Even with they are out outright ripping you off they will often use expensive new brand name parts when there may be very acceptable remanufactured, salvaged, or third party parts available. They will also often just replace things like a transmission when it might be repairable.

Call an independent transmission shop and see what would charge for a new transmission.

You may have also overpaid for the repairs earlier in the year.
aristotelian wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:48 am Why would you buy a newer version of a car that just had a transmission failure at 140k? I would be inclined to never buy Nissan again.
+1000

You just had a 2010 die, if you buy a 2014 version of the same model then why would you expect it to last more than 4 more years?
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

soupcxan wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:51 am Why on earth would you buy another Murano given this lack of reliability?
Exactly!
btenny

Post by btenny »

Yes I have been in exactly your situation way back in the late 1980s. I had been looking at used cars at Hertz. They had told me they would give me $2K (as I recall) for my used Nissan Sentra wagon. Well a few days later the clutch went out on the Nissan. So the next day we went to Hertz and talked to them. They said they would stay with the deal as my car had tons of miles and would go up for auction anyway. So they told me to tow it in and they would trade for a car on the lot. So I bought a used Buick that evening and had my old Nissan towed in the next day when I picked up the Buick.

I expect that is the same situation with your Murano. It is too old and high mileage for the dealer. So the Nissan dealer will not put that car on his lot. He will auction it. It is worth very little as you know. TBD if someone at the auction will part out the car or figure out how to put a used transmission in it cheaply. If the interior and sheet metal is in good shape it is worth at least $1.5K.

I am pretty sure you can get $2K for your car as a trade anyplace. That is sort of the floor price they will offer for any car from what I can tell. All the car dealers are selling hard right now and have lots of inventory. So you should be fine. Just tell the dealer your situation and go from there. But beware of them adding "disposal fees" to get rid of your old car. These should be zero and not reduce the $2K trade value.

Good Luck.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

I would call and write Nissan politely. If they don't offer you at least half the replacement cost, I would call and write Nissan impolitely. Mention lawyer and class action lawsuit. It might work, it might not.
Topic Author
corwin

Post by corwin »

Watty wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:03 am
. . .
You just had a 2010 die, if you buy a 2014 version of the same model then why would you expect it to last more than 4 more years?
The repairs earlier this year were done at an independent shop I have used for years. I was on my way there when the car died. The dealership was only a few miles away so I had them tow it to the dealership.

We love the Murano otherwise. This is our second one. The first one was traded in with 95K miles after 6 years.

We will move and down-size our house in 2-3 years when we become empty-nesters. Depending on where we end up our driving needs may drastically change. We may trade-in at that time for a sedan.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

David Jay wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 am As "Goal33" said, the vehicle with worthless except as spare parts if it doesn't move.

Call your local, independent transmission shops and get their opinion. You may have to put a few thousand into it in order to sell it for a reasonable price.
You can get a used transmission on eBay for around $975 with free shipping. Have the local transmission place see if they can find a used one for a better price. Then another chunk for the install.

As it sits right now, you car is probably worth $500 to the salvage yard or $1,000 in trade if the dealer is nice and will take it.

If the OP is done with the car, then put it on Craigslist for $1,500 and say "bad transmission". Or get $500 from the local salvage yard.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

aristotelian wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:48 am Regarding the old car, maybe you can put an add on Craigslist and see if a Nissan enthusiast who wants to take on the transmission rebuild will want to buy it from you. Otherwise, your only option may be to call a junk yard and sell it for scrap.

Why would you buy a newer version of a car that just had a transmission failure at 140k? I would be inclined to never buy Nissan again.
There are plenty of Nissan enthusiasts, but I'm skeptical that there are any Murano enthusiasts. It's the quintessential anti-enthusiast car.
SundayMorning

Post by SundayMorning »

I would not buy another one, if I had your experience. Mazda is off my list going forward, from a 626 that needed a new transmission at 90K miles. I will not buy another Ford either, as they have not handled an air bag recall appropriately after 2 years +. Simple as that; off our list in my family.

Since I buy cars every 12 years or more; I doubt we will run out of auto manufacturers to keep on the good list.
mirror

Post by mirror »

corwin wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:18 am
Watty wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:03 am
. . .
The repairs earlier this year were done at an independent shop I have used for years. I was on my way there when the car died. The dealership was only a few miles away so I had them tow it to the dealership.

We love the Murano otherwise. This is our second one. The first one was traded in with 95K miles after 6 years.

We will move and down-size our house in 2-3 years when we become empty-nesters. Depending on where we end up our driving needs may drastically change. We may trade-in at that time for a sedan.
If that is your situation why not lease instead of buying and trading in after 2-3 years? I think this would be one of the few cases where it would make more sense to lease.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I would use it as a trade-in at the Honda dealership when I got a gently used CR-V. You seem to have really bad luck with Muranos. Why did you trade in one with only 95k miles?
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

bubbadog wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:10 am
soupcxan wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:51 am Why on earth would you buy another Murano given this lack of reliability?
Exactly!
Come on, people. The OP's experience is anecdotal and doesn't apply to the purchase of another Murano except as one data point in the vast number of Murano owners. You might as well ask why anyone on the entire earth would buy a Murano given the demonstrated lack of reliability in the OP's post. Who are all these rubes buying a used car if it's destined to die an early death? Unless you think there is something about the OP's driving habits that create a greater likelihood of a transmission failure in this car, which is impossible to know.
BAM!

Post by BAM! »

Alexa9 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:17 am I would call and write Nissan politely. If they don't offer you at least half the replacement cost, I would call and write Nissan impolitely. Mention lawyer and class action lawsuit. It might work, it might not.
Don't be this kind of person. This is exactly what's wrong with America!

Either get a new one, or do what I did --> look online for a salvaged transmission from a car accident. Have it shipped to a local mechanic. You can get a transmission Grade A quality for $1000, $200 shipping, then $800 labor at your local mechanic. Viola! fixed for $2k. Likely they'll give you a warranty on it too.
soupcxan

Post by soupcxan »

[deleted]
Last edited by soupcxan on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Ketawa wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:30 pm
Exactly!
Come on, people. The OP's experience is anecdotal and doesn't apply to the purchase of another Murano except as one data point in the vast number of Murano owners. You might as well ask why anyone on the entire earth would buy a Murano given the demonstrated lack of reliability in the OP's post. Who are all these rubes buying a used car if it's destined to die an early death? Unless you think there is something about the OP's driving habits that create a greater likelihood of a transmission failure in this car, which is impossible to know.
Consumer Reports rates the Nissan Murano as average in overall reliability. The 2010 was above average overall, but the "transmission, major" category is average. The 2016 Murano is much worse than average overall. 2015 is average. 2014 is much better than average. I would definitely avoid the 2016. If I were fixated on a Murano, I'd probably try to find a gently used 2014.

Toyota 4Runner is much better than average for every model year except for 2013, where it's merely better than average. So there's that, too.

Source: Consumer Reports, April 2017
mouses

Post by mouses »

corwin wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:39 am The transmission (CVT) went out in my 2010 Nissan Murano with 140K miles. It will cost $6,000 to replace the CVT at the dealership. I don't want to put anymore money into the car. I already spent $4,500 earlier this year.

We will probably buy a used Murano, 2014 or 15 model year. The dealership has some available but I don't want to limit my choices to just them.

I'm nearing the end of life with one of my old cars. I was not looking forward to the hassle of selling it or trading it in, and then I stumbled across a donate your car link on a charity I'm involved in. The way they describe it, this is a no-hassle process. The car is picked up wherever you specify. They will take cars that don't run. The charity gets whatever they sell it for minus the fee, and you get the tax deduction. For a car that is not worth much, imho this is the easiest way to get rid of it and do a little good at the same time.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

My 15YO Camry died so I donated it to St.Vincent DePaul Society and they ended up getting $1800 for it.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
WalterMitty

Post by WalterMitty »

I would get it fixed at a non-dealer shop...call around and find the best price. Once it's fixed, take it to CarMax and get a quote from them on a purchase.
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

bloom2708 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:20 am
David Jay wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 am As "Goal33" said, the vehicle with worthless except as spare parts if it doesn't move.

You can get a used transmission on eBay for around $975 with free shipping. Have the local transmission place see if they can find a used one for a better price. Then another chunk for the install.

As it sits right now, you car is probably worth $500 to the salvage yard or $1,000 in trade if the dealer is nice and will take it.

If the OP is done with the car, then put it on Craigslist for $1,500 and say "bad transmission". Or get $500 from the local salvage yard.
Agree, used transmission then keep it! It is like every other used Murano then. I don't sell my cars for mechanical problems.

Don't know what the $4500 was for but say the used transmission route costs you $3000. Combined that is like $625 monthly payments for just one year. That compares well with a 4 year loan on a new one (hope you paid cash upfront). I would not expect those kind of issues every year.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

The earlier $4500 repair is history, and that likely makes the OPs car more reliable after a used CVT is installed, if he goes that route.
hightower

Post by hightower »

corwin wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:39 am The transmission (CVT) went out in my 2010 Nissan Murano with 140K miles. It will cost $6,000 to replace the CVT at the dealership. I don't want to put anymore money into the car. I already spent $4,500 earlier this year.

Transmission failure at 140k miles = terrible car, never buy that make/model again. Buy a honda or toyota. You won't see a transmission failure until 250k or more.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

1 Sell on craig's list, where is, as is.
2 Buy a Toyota or a Honda.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

soupcxan wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:53 pm
Exactly!
If you bought a car, and it turned out to be a lemon, you would immediately rush out and replace it with the same exact thing? :confused
Lemons happen. I'm sure someone has had a lemon of the same exact car that I drive, but mine runs completely fine at 10 years old with 90K miles. What makes me different from the person who had the lemon?

If I bought a lemon, I would reassess whether I had missed something important in the inputs, process, etc that led me to that purchase. If nothing significant changed, I could very well end up making the same decision.
ragabnh

Post by ragabnh »

Honda and Acura have had their share of transmission problems, I would go with Lexus/Toyota.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Salvage yard. They will often pay to have it towed, and pay you perhaps $100-$200.
uclalien

Post by uclalien »

quantAndHold wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:54 pm
Exactly!
Consumer Reports rates the Nissan Murano as average in overall reliability. The 2010 was above average overall, but the "transmission, major" category is average. The 2016 Murano is much worse than average overall. 2015 is average. 2014 is much better than average. I would definitely avoid the 2016. If I were fixated on a Murano, I'd probably try to find a gently used 2014.

Toyota 4Runner is much better than average for every model year except for 2013, where it's merely better than average. So there's that, too.

Source: Consumer Reports, April 2017
I was looking at used Nissan Altimas (amongst other similarly sized cars) earlier this year. When looking at Consumer Reports and other sources of information, I noticed that there was a significant drop in reliability in 2014. Shortly thereafter, I went to a used car lot and saw a disproportionate number of 2014 or newer Nissan Altimas. That was enough to get me to stay away.

I can't say for certain that this drop in reliability spans all Nissan models, but it could be that their quality control is worse than when the OP bought a 2010 Murano.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

That's exactly my reaction too!
gac1979

Post by gac1979 »

The cvt had a 10 year/120k warranty. You aren’t that far out of warranty. A letter to Nissan corporate may help to get a goodwill repair done.
mx711yam

Post by mx711yam »

The CVT in my 2014 Altima went out the other day. I only had 85000 miles. They tried to charge me $7,000 for it but I called Nissan and complained and they were able to do the whole thing for $1100. So definitely call and complain and also don't ever buy a Nissan again. I won't.
Thrift Shop

Post by Thrift Shop »

See previous thread about Murano's, including my post.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=178798

I would pass on the Murano if I were you.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

OP, first off, very sorry to hear this... Hopefully nissan can work a deal with you to take off the blunt of the repair cost.

Unfortunately, the whole "drive it until it dies" is some of the bad talking points issued at BH and other personal financial forums. The same goes for the "never lease a vehicle!!!" mantra. Both points are decent rules of thumb, but definitely not true across all cases. Anytime you take a vehicle past 100,000 miles, you're increasing the likelihood of seeing a catastrophic failure --- like what happened here --- and may end up with a repair bill equal to or greater than the value of the car. 2,000 miles ago, the car still had some equity in it. Now, you should be able to get it towed to a salvage yard, and get at least $500-1000 for it.

I totally get the financial aspect of keeping a vehicle for as long as possible and not caring what other people think of your vehicle... but, there's also merit to not ending up stranded somewhere or with a 3500 lb mechanical object that needs thousands in repair work. Unfortunately, there's a bit of survivor bias in the forums as well when people chime in how they have 10+ year old vehicles with 200K plus miles on it and have never had a serious problem besides maybe a new alternator and regular maintenance (which they do not always do even though they claim they do --- as shown in a long debate on your standard macpherson strut)

Now, whether it's better to repair the vehicle or dump the money into a newer, more reliable vehicle is another debate.
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.
Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 »

aristotelian wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:48 am Regarding the old car, maybe you can put an add on Craigslist and see if a Nissan enthusiast who wants to take on the transmission rebuild will want to buy it from you. Otherwise, your only option may be to call a junk yard and sell it for scrap.

+1

Had a similar experience with a Nissan Maxima that started having problems with the ignition coils, a known and systemic problem with that make/model. Car gave out at 160k miles and bought a Toyota and Acura since then. Would likely never consider a Nissan again.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

hightower wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:15 pm

Transmission failure at 140k miles = terrible car, never buy that make/model again. Buy a honda or toyota. You won't see a transmission failure until 250k or more.
How much you want to bet that if I hit google I can come up with hundreds of people reporting their Honda and toyotas having transmission problems before 150k?:) Heck here is the first link I clicked on https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Ody ... lure.shtml of people reporting all sorts of honda transmission problems on just one model year.

Obviously without a ton of numbers you can't tell if you got unlucky (i.e. a lot of Hondas will make to 200k with no problems.) or if there is a design flaw (i.e. some model year has 75%+ failure rate on the part at 60k).

And yes I know people who have taken their hondas to 300k. I also no ones that crapped out and died at 120k. They are better than average. They aren't flawless.
GottaRun

Post by GottaRun »

i would have it fixed at an independent shop, keep the paperwork of the repair and then sell on Craigslist.

I didn't realize the Nissan CVT had a poor reputation; GTK.

I have a '05 Nissan Quest (3.5) minivan which has 265,000 miles (and counting). Best vehicle I've ever owned. 17 year old son is driving it now.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

My Toyota van had transmission problems just before my extended warranty that I purchased from the dealer expired. It was only 55 months old and had only about 50,000 miles on it. The dealer wanted to charge me for “cleaning” and other nonsense but I pointed out that under the bumper to bumper warranty they sold me, it was all covered.

We are still using the van and it hasn’t had any major problems since. It is now 18 years old with 110,000 miles on it. I’m glad we didn’t dispose of it or say Toyotas are terrible after the transmission needed to be replaced early on.

For the OP, lots of interesting advice above. I guess I’d weigh how much you are tired of this vehicle and wanting to get rid of it vs fixing it with a good used transmission so you can drive it until you want a sedan.

Leasing might be worth exploring but may not be an option considering the mileage you are putting on your vehicle.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Early 00s Honda Odysseys had horrible transmission problems. My family had one that went through 3 transmissions in the first 100k miles. Which is not to say that's the rule- just that any brand can have issues here and there.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Exactly!
+1. If you invest in international stocks and it crashes next year, does that mean you shouldn't buy international ever again?

OP, have you tried getting a quote from Carmax? I would 1) find a cheaper quote from your independent mechanic; 2) list it on craigslist for 3 weeks, and then 3) try Carmax if none of those work.
soupcxan

Post by soupcxan »

[deleted]
Last edited by soupcxan on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ethelred

Post by Ethelred »

I think many posters in this thread have entirely unrealistic expectations. A car that has an expensive repair after 140,000 miles is not a lemon, even if you personally have owned a car that reached 200,000 or more without major work. 140,000 miles is still five times around the circumference of the Earth. A quick web search tells me that most state "lemon laws" cover cars up to either 12,000 or 24,000 miles.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Seems a bit too early to fail. Go talk with Toyota. Rock solid indestructible cars.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
testing321

Post by testing321 »

The CVTs in Nissans have not been reliable. Check consumer reports, check nicoclub.com. They are now appearing in Toyotas and other makes as well. They have a much shorter life expectancy than previous designs, which makes them risky if buying a replacement from a salvage yard and risky if buying them in a new car that you intend to keep for many years. You can have a new CVT installed with a one year warranty, but you're on the hook again after that for several more thousand $ if the new one fails.

Some of the older model Nissans with CVTs had the warranty extended to 100,000 miles, and many of those got new transmissions installed for free. With these cars, it is best to sell it before, say, 100,000 miles or maybe even earlier.
NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 »

You might want to tell that to all the ~ '99-'0 V6 Honda and Acura owners who had premature transmission failures on their Honda autos.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

soupcxan wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:42 am
angelescrest wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:38 am
Exactly!
+1. If you invest in international stocks and it crashes next year, does that mean you shouldn't buy international ever again?

OP, have you tried getting a quote from Carmax? I would 1) find a cheaper quote from your independent mechanic; 2) list it on craigslist for 3 weeks, and then 3) try Carmax if none of those work.
If I buy a lemon and the manufacturer doesn't stand behind it, I'm not buying that brand again, I don't care if they sold a billion other perfect cars.

As the saying goes, “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice — I won't get fooled again."
I get that you wouldn’t buy again, but it doesn’t qualify as a lemon. If you had a Toyota or a Honda, and its tranny failed at 140k, would they replace it for free? I highly doubt it.