Recommend a daily driver

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Rifampin

Recommend a daily driver

Post by Rifampin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:52 am

Situation: Going off to grad school so I will need something that is reliable and comfortable for 3-4 hr drives and stop & go traffic. My current car is a 2004 BMW M3 so I will obviously be downgrading in the fun department.

Budget is around 20k and under. I would prefer something with decent resale value as I plan on selling it immediately after the 24 month program is over.

So far my current thoughts are Lexus IS350, Honda Accord Sport edition, Acura TL/TLX..

alfaspider

Re: Recommend a daily driver

Post by alfaspider » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:55 am

Rifampin wrote: โ†‘
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:52 am
Situation: Going off to grad school so I will need something that is reliable and comfortable for 3-4 hr drives and stop & go traffic. My current car is a 2004 BMW M3 so I will obviously be downgrading in the fun department.

Budget is around 20k and under. I would prefer something with decent resale value as I plan on selling it immediately after the 24 month program is over.

So far my current thoughts are Lexus IS350, Honda Accord Sport edition, Acura TL/TLX..
Why not keep the m3? It won't depreciate and should be reasonably reliable if well maintained.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:57 am

look at the consumer reports annual buying issue for best used cars for every budget

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:00 am

Used Jeep

Rifampin

Post by Rifampin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:01 am

It is well maintained and I am a DIY kind of guy. But with 120k miles on it I will have no time to fix unexpected issues that may arise. Additionally, I will no longer be able to garage it and it will be subjected to door dings, etc Even though the value of it is probably around $14-15k, I mentally can't treat it as a beater car. The last thing I want to be worrying about during grad school is transportation. Also considering switching to something with an automatic transmission for stop & go traffic.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:08 am

for 3-4 hour stop and go trips yet cheap and reliable ..... perhaps the antithesis of the M3? A Prius. :shock:

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:09 am

hicabob wrote: โ†‘
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:08 am
for 3-4 hour stop and go trips yet cheap and reliable ..... perhaps the antithesis of the M3? A Prius. :shock:
+1

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:11 am

Used well depreciated Honda so it can be resold at a good value. Dependable daily driver.

Chadnudj

Post by Chadnudj » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:13 am

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:01 am
It is well maintained and I am a DIY kind of guy. But with 120k miles on it I will have no time to fix unexpected issues that may arise. Additionally, I will no longer be able to garage it and it will be subjected to door dings, etc Even though the value of it is probably around $14-15k, I mentally can't treat it as a beater car. The last thing I want to be worrying about during grad school is transportation. Also considering switching to something with an automatic transmission for stop & go traffic.

This is textbook "sunk cost fallacy" at work. You own this car. Take the money you'd otherwise spend on a new car and (a) get your current car thoroughly checked by a reputable mechanic to fix any issues, and (b) invest the rest (with some savings) for a car down the line and/or the cost of a rental car to cover you if your current ride stops working at some point and/or a mechanic (since you won't have time to DIY it on repairs).

You should be fine with a well maintained M3 for 2 years of grad school, up to 200k miles, even. And you'll thank yourself down the line in terms of avoiding spending on a "new to you" car that you didn't really need just yet.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:16 am

I have to say it. Cue up the Top Gear episode where an M3 followed a Prius around the track.....and beat it's MPG handily.

Are you going to be parking on-street? If so, something short might be in order. That makes it tough for also "comfortable". What "I" would buy is a Honda CR-Z. Available in a 6 speed manual, short, fun to drive (the transmission feels like a Civic Si to me). Used ones very cheap. I expect they're going to do what the CRX did......be discontinued because of very low sales numbers then become a cult car and rise in value.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:19 am

All good choices. I would suggest a used 9th Gen Accord Coupe EX-L V6 Manual Trans. Surprisingly fun to drive.
Do you drive much in snow? I would get Michelin X-Ice Tires whether you have AWD, FWD, or RWD.

Rifampin

Post by Rifampin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:22 am

Chadnudj wrote: โ†‘
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:13 am

This is textbook "sunk cost fallacy" at work. You own this car. Take the money you'd otherwise spend on a new car and (a) get your current car thoroughly checked by a reputable mechanic to fix any issues, and (b) invest the rest (with some savings) for a car down the line and/or the cost of a rental car to cover you if your current ride stops working at some point and/or a mechanic (since you won't have time to DIY it on repairs).

You should be fine with a well maintained M3 for 2 years of grad school, up to 200k miles, even. And you'll thank yourself down the line in terms of avoiding spending on a "new to you" car that you didn't really need just yet.
The issue is I won't have the time or desire to deal with rental cars/repairs if indeed a catastrophic repair was necessary. Common issues on the M3 despite maintenance varies from cooling system failure to rod bearing replacement. Not too mention despite popular belief, the M3 seats are highly uncomfortable on long drives (mine does not have lumbar support). Also it is lacking in some creature comforts important to a daily driver. I did not buy this car with the intention of daily driving it.

Rifampin

Post by Rifampin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:24 am

Alexa9 wrote: โ†‘
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:19 am
All good choices. I would suggest a used 9th Gen Accord Coupe EX-L V6 Manual Trans. Surprisingly fun to drive.
Do you drive much in snow? I would get Michelin X-Ice Tires whether you have AWD, FWD, or RWD.
Not much snow but will be repeatedly traveling through the mountains on I-26 so good tires are a must.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:25 am

Situation: Going off to grad school so I will need something that is reliable and comfortable for 3-4 hr drives and stop & go traffic.
Sorry, but I don't follow the reasoning. When I was in grad school, I walked or rode a bike. Both my legs and my bike were very reliable.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:26 am

Ok then. The answer is always Miata.

Rifampin

Post by Rifampin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:29 am

alfaspider wrote: โ†‘
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:26 am
I am assuming you own an Alfa judging by your username. No doubt Miatas are great cars but I would must prefer an S2000 if I went that route.

Chadnudj

Post by Chadnudj » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:38 am

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:22 am
The issue is I won't have the time or desire to deal with rental cars/repairs if indeed a catastrophic repair was necessary. Common issues on the M3 despite maintenance varies from cooling system failure to rod bearing replacement. Not too mention despite popular belief, the M3 seats are highly uncomfortable on long drives (mine does not have lumbar support). Also it is lacking in some creature comforts important to a daily driver. I did not buy this car with the intention of daily driving it.
You're talking 2 years of grad school. How often would you expect a top-notch maintained M3 to have catastrophic repairs? And even if it did, how long do you think it would take to (a) get a rental car, (b) get your car to a mechanic? That's maybe at most one day when you're inconvenienced (the day the car dies), and then you fit in the repairs/getting your car back/returning the rental car around your schedule. That's barely a blip in real terms.

As for lumbar support -- buy a good pillow/seat cushion. And what other creature comforts could possibly cost as much as $20k for a new car? If you can play music in it, you're pretty much set.

roflwaffle

Post by roflwaffle » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:44 am

Used plug-in Prius. :beer

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:49 am

Rather than shopping for a particular car I would shop based on price, mileage on car, mileage at the pump, comfort, reliability, etc.... I would probably look at 2-5 year old Japanese cars but why limit it to one type of Japanese car!? High end Toyota, mid/low level Lexus, Infiniti, etc.... Also, I wouldn't make plans for two years from now because who knows. Although, if you are 100% sure it's going to be two years because you are moving to a foreign country at that time then maybe do a two year lease on a brand new something.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:50 am

Also, I love M3's but I would probably dump it because you don't want to get a huge repair bill during grad school. I have personally had an unexpected huge repair bill on a German car and it hurts.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:52 am

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:29 am
I am assuming you own an Alfa judging by your username. No doubt Miatas are great cars but I would must prefer an S2000 if I went that route.
It's a bit of a car-guy joke, but there is some truth to it. They are cheap to own and operate yet still quite a bit of fun. Early NCs and earlier are done depreciating, so easy to own for a while and flip. I actually drove a Mazdaspeed Miata as a temporary car- it fit the bill nicely and I sold it for close to what I paid for it. I do own an Alfa now, but it's more of a track car than a daily driver. I don't think I'd ever daily an Alfa unless it was a new Giulia still under warranty.

S2000s are great, but have higher cost of entry- not an ideal "Beater" type city car. Either one will need a hardtop for outdoor parking, but that's easier and cheaper to find for a Miata.

prince

Post by prince » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:12 pm

Used Prius, your future self will thank you.

victorb

Post by victorb » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:28 pm

I would also seriously consider a Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla or Hyundai Elantra. There are some great deals on new cars and you would be covered by warranty for a minimum 3 years - 36,000 miles and full road side protection. If you are concerned about no hassle and no extra repair costs, that would certainly something I would look into. I have a friend with a Prius and I thought it had a so-so ride and not very good seats.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:33 pm

You messed up the acronymn!

Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

If it were me, I'd go for a 328d. Great fuel economy (45+ highway), and still a little bit fun to drive. Way down on HP compared to your M3, but pretty close in the torque department--and can hit 350-380lbft with a simple chip tune. F30 3-series is the same size as the E39 5-series, so has big, comfortable (firm) seats.

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:34 pm

I will have no time to fix unexpected issues that may arise.
You may be in one of the rare situations where leasing makes sense if you will not be driving too many miles.

strafe

Post by strafe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:04 am

Agree with others that leasing would be a good bet.

I think the VW GTI is the ultimate inexpensive fun car. Dealers in the DC area (not sure where you are) are selling them under $20k out the door.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:23 am

prince wrote: โ†‘
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:12 pm
After the therapy bills from the deep depression that would cause, I think I'd probably end up paying more for a Prius than an M3 :?

Rifampin

Post by Rifampin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:02 am

Watty wrote: โ†‘
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:34 pm

You may be in one of the rare situations where leasing makes sense if you will not be driving too many miles.
Considered a lease but future mileage is unknown. I did lease a MK7 GTI once and will probably never do that again. I much prefer to buy cars out right. If it helps with recommendations, I believe I have my priorities in line. I have the funds to pay for grad school and with the sale of the M3 I could very comfortably stretch another 5k to get in something more reliable and comfortable.

Rifampin

Post by Rifampin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:05 am

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:23 am
prince wrote: โ†‘
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:12 pm
After the therapy bills from the deep depression that would cause, I think I'd probably end up paying more for a Prius than an M3 :?
5 Reasons Why I Hate Priuses
1) It's a Prius
2) It's a Prius
3) It's a Prius
4) It's a Prius
5) It's a Prius

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:08 am

How about a used current generation Subaru WRX?

:D Since you lean toward more sporty cars.

Rifampin

Post by Rifampin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:10 am

bubbadog wrote: โ†‘
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:08 am
How about a used current generation Subaru WRX?

:D Since you lean toward more sporty cars.
Not a bad suggestion. I had a Subaru Legacy GT at one point. Great car but it ate oil for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I considered it the ultimate sleeper with a Cobb tune and bolt ons it had about 315hp and relatively light for a full side sedan.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:29 am

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:02 am
Watty wrote: โ†‘
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:34 pm

Considered a lease but future mileage is unknown. I did lease a MK7 GTI once and will probably never do that again. I much prefer to buy cars out right. If it helps with recommendations, I believe I have my priorities in line. I have the funds to pay for grad school and with the sale of the M3 I could very comfortably stretch another 5k to get in something more reliable and comfortable.
Don't make this too complicated.

There may still be some year end close outs on 2017 Corollas or Civics. A two year old car like that which is still covered the manufacturer's warranty would sell for a very good price when you are ready to sell it even if it has a few parking lot dings.

They might not be very sporty but you can save that for after you graduate.

jucor

Post by jucor » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:37 am

Your list of possible cars as well as your $20k budget are not in the realm of what you say you want in this post -- a beater car.

Stick with what you have -- don't worry about repairs. Should it need some you can rent a car for that week. You'll be FAR better off doing that than buying a car from your list of used wanna-be luxo cars.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 am

Find a low mileage, one owner Lexus LS 430.

Smooth, quiet, powerful, comfortable, doesn't stand out (I like that), reliable.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:49 am

bloom2708 wrote: โ†‘
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 am
Doesn't even have to be low-mileage as long as it hasn't been offroaded or turned into a hoopty ("VIP style" is very popular with these). The LS430 is arguably the best car Lexus has ever made. Those things will run forever.
Last edited by lazydavid on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:51 am

lazydavid wrote: โ†‘
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:49 am
bloom2708 wrote: โ†‘
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 am
Doesn't even have to be low-mileage as long as it hasn't been offroaded or turned into a hoopty. The LS430 is arguably the best car Lexus has ever made. Those things will run forever.
I agree. Mine has 132k and drives like new. For many, the mileage hurdle is one to get over, so if you start with a lower mile one, then you can get past that. I would have no problem buying one with 100k.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

cantos

Post by cantos » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:56 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote: โ†‘
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:16 am
I have to say it. Cue up the Top Gear episode where an M3 followed a Prius around the track.....and beat it's MPG handily.
The top gear episode is misleading as they have the Prius driven as fast as it can go - no Prius drive would ever drive that way on the streets, and in fact no ordinary driver would either. Drive an M3 the way it is typically driven for 10 miles, and drive a Prius the way it is typically driven for 10 miles, and the Prius will beat the M3 handily. Every time.

cantos

Post by cantos » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:01 am

Reading the replies I don't get the impression they are from people who regularly drive 3-4 hrs at a time in stop & go traffic. I do. If your stop & go is on the highway, then I HIGHLY recommend you get a car that has adaptive cruise control. Some older high end cars will have it, but the adaptive cruise control shuts off when you slow down to 15 mph or so, so when you hit 0 mph in stop & go traffic you won't get the benefit. But if you can find one that has full-time adaptive cruise control down to 0 mph, that is absolutely gold :sharebeer on the highway. Either way, both kinds of adapative cruise control make highway driving quite relaxing (as these things go).

options: ford focus/fusion, hyundai sonata, volvo s40/60, so on.
Last edited by cantos on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

victw

Post by victw » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:11 am

Mazda 3
Zoom. Zoom.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:12 am

bubbadog wrote: โ†‘
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:09 am
+1
+1

mirror

Post by mirror » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:24 am

If you only plan to own the car for 24 months and want something reliable why not just lease? You could maintain liquidity, have a reliable car, and not have the hassle of trading in/selling in 2 years.

Naismith

Post by Naismith » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:25 am

cantos wrote: โ†‘
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:01 am

Reading the replies I don't get the impression they are from people who regularly drive 3-4 hrs at a time in stop & go traffic.
But the OP said 3-4 hours AND stop & go traffic. I assumed those were two different tasks: stop & go near campus, and then a 3-4 hour trip on the weekends to get home.

And like Livesoft, I would consider a bus or bike or walking to campus. Indeed, I still bus or bike, and I am decades out of grad school. Among younger colleagues there is a sense of entitlement to drive a car and the gyrations they go through to find parking can be amusing.

But perhaps I misunderstood, and this is a daily ordeal...

Rifampin

Post by Rifampin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:40 am

Naismith wrote: โ†‘
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:25 am
cantos wrote: โ†‘
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:01 am

Reading the replies I don't get the impression they are from people who regularly drive 3-4 hrs at a time in stop & go traffic.
But the OP said 3-4 hours AND stop & go traffic. I assumed those were two different tasks: stop & go near campus, and then a 3-4 hour trip on the weekends to get home.

And like Livesoft, I would consider a bus or bike or walking to campus. Indeed, I still bus or bike, and I am decades out of grad school. Among younger colleagues there is a sense of entitlement to drive a car and the gyrations they go through to find parking can be amusing.

But perhaps I misunderstood, and this is a daily ordeal...
This will be a daily ordeal. The second year will be comprised of daily drives to clinicals 1-1.5 hrs out. Mileage needs are still an unknown variable so I don't think a lease is the option.

Sure I could walk to class, ride the bus, etc.. but I don't want to and you can't make me. I admit, I am entitled.

mrgeeze

Post by mrgeeze » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:07 pm

Sandtrap wrote: โ†‘
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:11 am
Used well depreciated Honda so it can be resold at a good value. Dependable daily driver.
+1 !!!

Could be a Toyota also.