Uber for someone who knows only taxis

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JDCarpenter

Re: Uber for someone who knows only taxis

Post by JDCarpenter »

DrGoogle2017 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:54 pm ... I might use it more overseas.
We used uber a few times in Peru when in larger cities, no collectivos that we were familiar with, and too far to walk. Good results with it--although the cars weren't necessarily as new as those in the US, they were fine. Given our abysmal non-mastery of spanish, it was a much easier interface than trying to establish fares in advance with randomly flagged-down taxi drivers....
Our personal blog (no ads) of why we saved/invested: https://www.lisajtravels.com/
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Google maps has tabs for Uber and Lyft, so you can easily compare estimates of wait times and prices, and you can launch the apps from there. Also install the apps. There is almost always some promo discount for new users, so google for that before signing up.

I tend to use Lyft. Just about every driver I've had drives for both and I can't remember one who didn't prefer Lyft. Apparently they get a larger percentage of the fare. Plus Lyft is usually cheaper or at least no more expensive. Wait times have been comparable.

Tip the same way you would for a taxi. Rate the driver five stars unless there is a clear problem. Apparently, drivers also rate you.
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Very interesting thread and thanks to all who posted. I had no idea it was going to be so one-sidedly enthusiastic. I've put Uber on my phone and have decided yes, this is something I need to know how to use.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Jim85

Post by Jim85 »

I always use Uber. Never a taxi or shuttle service anymore. I drove for a bit for Uber and Lyft, at first out of curiosity and then sometimes when bored. It was interesting but there's no money in it. Drivers have to drive a lot to make a living so I say TIP THE DRIVER. Some drivers prefer Lyft cause tipping was built into the app and was not for Uber. Uber now does facilitate tips. I stopped doing this since it unnecessarily complicated my taxes when I wasn't really making anything from it.
Soul.in.Progress

Post by Soul.in.Progress »

Nisi,

I have used Uber both domestically (in the US) and internationally. Super convenient app, and the model is a brilliant use of today’s technologies. Have never used Lyft but intend to get that app too.

Some additional things to offer that I didn’t see mentioned previously in this thread:

If you change your mind, or don’t like some aspect of the assignment (the car, the driver (rating), the wait time, etc), I believe you have a few minutes after assignment to cancel the ride, with no charge to you. I’ve canceled once before.

As a female who often traveled alone on business trips, I can’t overstate how much I like the driver’s picture, name, and the status of my trip and that I could share all of that info, including my real time ride status with anyone over text (hubby could follow my route real time). Never felt this security in a taxi.

I’ve been pretty happy with the drivers I’ve gotten, but a small handful have been kind of creepy. I think compared to taxi drivers, that aspect has been equivalent for me.

Love, love the cashless transaction. Never have to worry about the CC machine being broken, or waiting for receipts.

You get a rating, and are rated by your drivers. It is visible in the upper left corner if you click on the menu.

Like others, I have had excellent experience with Uber customer service on two relatively minor issues. Both times the CS was only over email, no phone number.

Enjoy!
Start by doing what is necessary; | then do what is possible; | and suddenly you are doing the impossible. | -- Francis of Assisi
Soul.in.Progress

Post by Soul.in.Progress »

Also, to the poster who asked why you have to verify the car, there have been news stories of drivers who have “posed” as Uber drivers in Uber-frequented areas (think outside a night club in wee hours of the night), hoping to pick up inebriated females. One such case, IIRC, involved a female who was taken to a remote location and had to physically struggle with the driver to get away from him. It was not in fact her Uber ride. She didn’t verify the car, she just got into a car that pulled up or was waiting where she expected her ride.

I always verify the make/model, license plate number, AND name/picture of the driver and ensure it matches the assigned ride on my Uber app.
Start by doing what is necessary; | then do what is possible; | and suddenly you are doing the impossible. | -- Francis of Assisi
Tallis

Post by Tallis »

CWRadio wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:48 am Do you need internet access after you are picked up by Uber or Lyft to complete the transaction? I use a Tracfone and usually keep WiFi on and phone data off. Thanks Paul
I'm also a Tracfone user, and with Lyft you do need Internet access to complete the transaction and add the tip. You also want to have location on when you summon the ride.

One of the reasons I prefer Lyft to Uber is that I can add the tip on, rather than fish cash out of my wallet. There's no way I'm going to stiff a cabdriver.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

One thing I found out with Uber is that you can sign up, get the app, verify your account and all that with a Google Voice number. You can't order a car though.
mrc

Post by mrc »

By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

Soul.in.Progress wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:14 pm Also, to the poster who asked why you have to verify the car, ...

I always verify the make/model, license plate number, AND name/picture of the driver and ensure it matches the assigned ride on my Uber app.
In addition to the safety issues, if you get into the wrong car, you will be heading to the wrong destination. (DW had this happen to her assigned ride--another lady jumped into the uber when it arrived at the curb. DW kept watching the app to see her car information and was informed that she was "on her way." Soon enough, the driver returned and exchanged passengers....)
Our personal blog (no ads) of why we saved/invested: https://www.lisajtravels.com/
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

OK, I have a question. I just downloaded both Uber and Lyft. How do you pay? Neither asked for my credit card.
Best Wishes, | Joe
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

JMacDonald wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:21 pm OK, I have a question. I just downloaded both Uber and Lyft. How do you pay? Neither asked for my credit card.
When someone who hacked Uber's customer data installs ransomware on your computer they will ask for a credit card.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

jebmke wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:24 pm
JMacDonald wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:21 pm OK, I have a question. I just downloaded both Uber and Lyft. How do you pay? Neither asked for my credit card.
When someone who hacked Uber's customer data installs ransomware on your computer they will ask for a credit card.
Yea, the day I sign up is the day Uber gets hacked. Oh well, by this time with Equifax and others, I am sure everyone has my information.
Best Wishes, | Joe
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

JMacDonald wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:29 pm
Yea, the day I sign up is the day Uber gets hacked. Oh well, by this time with Equifax and others, I am sure everyone has my information.
Actually, I think they were hacked a year ago and failed to disclose. You may be ok. Or not. :P
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

jebmke wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:37 pm
JMacDonald wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:29 pm
Actually, I think they were hacked a year ago and failed to disclose. You may be ok. Or not. :P
So I should have asked google first before I came here. Now I will have to watch my back against these hacks. :shock:
Best Wishes, | Joe
Daisy Dog

Post by Daisy Dog »

I used Uber for the first time this year in Santa Fe. Figured it was cheaper and more convenient to use Uber for a week than to rent a car. Went pretty well - found out that they email you right after the ride for a tip. I tipped every time except:

ONE BAD EXPERIENCE: This was a ride from the Santa Fe Opera back into downtown. I know the route well - have driven it many times. Our elderly driver was late picking us up - said she got lost...(huh? The SF Opera is an extremely popular place in the summer.). So that should have been a warning.

Anyway, we got in the car and I didn't pay much attention as I was talking to the passenger in the back. All of a sudden I noticed it was very dark on the road we were on and off in the far distance were the lights of downtown Santa Fe! I immediately asked her what she was doing as I absolutely know the route and she said, "Oh, it's the Uber GPS. It takes different routes sometimes." I said, "Well, turn around and go back. We're lost." Then I immediately got on my phone and asked Siri to give us directions. The driver just said, "Oh, we're doing fine. I just know we'll find a way out. Just wait." Of which I replied, "No, WE are not doing fine, Linda."

Siri efficiently got us back to the main road but as we got to town, the driver had to pause at each street and peer at the signage - and this is downtown - everyone knows these streets if they live there! So what should have been a 20 minute ride turned into 90 minutes.

When I got my bill, I saw I was charged for "excessive mileage" or something like that. I emailed Uber and the surcharge was removed.

Lesson I learned: Pay attention! And don't take for granted they know where they're going. If you know the route, you can ask them to take the route you want. Also, have a backup route on Google Maps or Mapquest that you can refer to if you feel uncomfortable.

My grandson only uses Lyft now. Says it is much better than Uber. So I'll try it next time.

Oh, one last thing - kind of sad. One Uber driver told me Santa Fe literally has no taxi service now. I thought: Does everyone have a smart phone and it seems to me you have to have some internet connection - there is no number to call.

Happy Trails :-)

Daisy
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Did you log into the app yet? When you run the app it should ask you to register for an account at which point it will ask for a CC. It's been so long for me i can't remember exactly but if it doesn't prompt you- look at the menus and there should be a place to setup an account and profile.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

DaftInvestor wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:02 pm
Did you log into the app yet? When you run the app it should ask you to register for an account at which point it will ask for a CC. It's been so long for me i can't remember exactly but if it doesn't prompt you- look at the menus and there should be a place to setup an account and profile.
I just looked - if you have already run the apps there is an icon in the upper left of the app that opens a menu. In both lyft and uber there is a "payment" menu item.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Nisi,

Thank you for starting this thread. As I don't have a smartphone (yet), I have not even considered using Uber until a recent experience. I was in Toronto, and at the last moment the person who I was staying with became unable to take me to the airport. She has called Uber, and Uber has arrived within minutes. The fees and tips were prepaid, but after chatting with the driver I quite liked him and also gave him all my Canadian coins which included several dollar coins.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

VictoriaF wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:08 pm Nisi,

Thank you for starting this thread. As I don't have a smartphone (yet), I have not even considered using Uber until a recent experience. I was in Toronto, and at the last moment the person who I was staying with became unable to take me to the airport. She has called Uber, and Uber has arrived within minutes. The fees and tips were prepaid, but after chatting with the driver I quite liked him and also gave him all my Canadian coins which included several dollar coins.

Victoria
The fair isn't prepaid but rather automatically charged to the credit card of the person who ordered the Uber at the END of the ride.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

DaftInvestor wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:11 pm

Victoria
The fair isn't prepaid but rather automatically charged to the credit card of the person who ordered the Uber at the END of the ride.
I stand corrected. The way it worked, I gave my host cash and she has ordered Uber and told me that I should not worry about a tip. I gave a tip anyway, because the ride was very efficient and the driver had an interesting story.

I was curious about the mechanics of paying for Uber, and this thread has clarified it for me.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

VictoriaF wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:15 pm
DaftInvestor wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:11 pm

Victoria
I stand corrected. The way it worked, I gave my host cash and she has ordered Uber and told me that I should not worry about a tip. I gave a tip anyway, because the ride was very efficient and the driver had an interesting story.

I was curious about the mechanics of paying for Uber, and this thread has clarified it for me.

Victoria
Ubers pre-ride estimates are pretty accurate so whatever cash she asked for was probably within a couple of dollars of final payment.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

DaftInvestor wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:03 pm
DaftInvestor wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:02 pm
I just looked - if you have already run the apps there is an icon in the upper left of the app that opens a menu. In both lyft and uber there is a "payment" menu item.
After I asked the question here, I googled it and found the answer. I can use Apple pay for payment. I rarely ever have a need for a Taxi, but I downloaded the apps just in case. Thanks.
Best Wishes, | Joe
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:39 am I'm thinking that I probably need to sign up for and "learn how to use" Uber, as one more available transportation option. I've literally never used it before nor have I ever shared a ride with anyone using it. I'd like those who have used it to compare it, as best they can, to the experience of using taxis.

What are your tips on using Uber? (Speaking of which... what about tips?)

My experience in using taxis is that only once in my whole life have I ever been seriously uncomfortable with a driver (he was drunk). How often have you personally been seriously uncomfortable with Uber?

What would you say about the "professionalism" of Uber drivers? Let's say taxi drivers in general are 7 on a scale of 1-10 where...

How do you feel about Uber's "reliability" particularly with respect to availability, how arrival time compares with taxis, how well arrival times match promises and estimates?

I live in a suburban town--sprawling area of continuous suburb as it were--population 40,000. There are no longer any taxis companies whose taxis are actually stationed in my town, and typical calls during "normal" times will promise arrival in 15 to 30 minutes and often be five minutes late. My need for Uber includes things like 10-15 mile trips when my wife needs the car, or occasional 5-mile trips in the nearby Big City when the weather is bad and the public transportation options are bad.
It's way better. I no longer use taxis. Uber is cheaper, you don't have to tip (making it even cheaper), the service is better, the arrival is quicker, the app is super slick. It's seriously disruptive to an entire industry so much so that cities have literally outlawed it in a protectionist manner. I see precious little downside to the consumer.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Daisy Dog wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:41 pm I used Uber for the first time this year in Santa Fe. Figured it was cheaper and more convenient to use Uber for a week than to rent a car. Went pretty well - found out that they email you right after the ride for a tip. I tipped every time except:

ONE BAD EXPERIENCE: This was a ride from the Santa Fe Opera back into downtown. I know the route well - have driven it many times. Our elderly driver was late picking us up - said she got lost...(huh? The SF Opera is an extremely popular place in the summer.). So that should have been a warning.

Anyway, we got in the car and I didn't pay much attention as I was talking to the passenger in the back. All of a sudden I noticed it was very dark on the road we were on and off in the far distance were the lights of downtown Santa Fe! I immediately asked her what she was doing as I absolutely know the route and she said, "Oh, it's the Uber GPS. It takes different routes sometimes." I said, "Well, turn around and go back. We're lost." Then I immediately got on my phone and asked Siri to give us directions. The driver just said, "Oh, we're doing fine. I just know we'll find a way out. Just wait." Of which I replied, "No, WE are not doing fine, Linda."

Siri efficiently got us back to the main road but as we got to town, the driver had to pause at each street and peer at the signage - and this is downtown - everyone knows these streets if they live there! So what should have been a 20 minute ride turned into 90 minutes.

When I got my bill, I saw I was charged for "excessive mileage" or something like that. I emailed Uber and the surcharge was removed.

Lesson I learned: Pay attention! And don't take for granted they know where they're going. If you know the route, you can ask them to take the route you want. Also, have a backup route on Google Maps or Mapquest that you can refer to if you feel uncomfortable.

My grandson only uses Lyft now. Says it is much better than Uber. So I'll try it next time.

Oh, one last thing - kind of sad. One Uber driver told me Santa Fe literally has no taxi service now. I thought: Does everyone have a smart phone and it seems to me you have to have some internet connection - there is no number to call.

Happy Trails :-)

Daisy
I also go to Santa Fe Opera every summer so I find your experience to be amazing that an Uber driver did not know her way around Santa Fe. I could drive to the opera house and back in my sleep.
Best Wishes, | Joe
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

mouses wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:08 pm What's going on with these cautions to get the correct car? What is happening that wrong cars show up?

I wish these things did not require smart phones.
If you are at a place where multiple people are requesting Uber cars (like on the curb at an airport, or outside of a hotel in a tourist city like Las Vegas),many (most?) people enter their destination when requesting the car. If you get in the wrong car, and the driver doesn't verify you are the right person/destination or you don't notice if the car/driver are the right ones, they could start driving you to the wrong destination. I have been at places like O'Hare airport were literally dozens of people were standing on the curb holding out their phones waiting for Lyft/Uber cars at the same time.
rj49

Post by rj49 »

I drive for Uber and Lyft to stay engaged, to have some of the satisfactions of work without the drawbacks, even though I'm retired and have no debts. I use my earnings for travel and to contribute to a Roth IRA, and it pays for the lease on my Corolla as well and gives me an excuse to lease new cars every 3 years.

The main thing about Uber is acccountability, since both drivers and passengers are rated, so Uber drivers have an incentive to be professional, friendly, socially aware, and safe. All drivers have criminal background checks and have to have a clean driving record, as well as getting their cars inspected annually and to have a newer-model car capable of carrying 4 passengers. Drivers are supposed to follow their GPS, but sometimes it will give bad routes (or not recognize new hotels or housing), so if I know a better way I'll ask the passenger, and usually tell them to let me know if they want to go a certain way to get somewhere.

The most daunting aspect of using it for some people is simply the unfamiliarity of the app, but it's about as user-friendly as can be...just put in where you want to go, it will tell you how much it will cost, and the nearest driver will head to your place. It's quite good for seniors, since they don't have to worry about driving, they get some social interaction as well, and it gives them more opportunities to get out of the house, so I take a lot of seniors from retirement communities and nursing homes to get groceries, to and from medical appointments, and to things like an Eagles club or casino where they can have a few drinks and not have to worry about driving. Most drivers will also be happy to wait for a short stop if you need to go into a store or something quickly or make a stop along the way. if your area offers Ubereats, you can even get a driver to bring you food.

As for tips, it's all done within the app when you get a message to rate someone, but there's no tip pressure or expectations, as with taxi drivers and waitstaff. I think maybe 20% of passengers leave a tip with me, but I rarely go back into individual ride details to see who did and didn't. The entire experience is meant to be frictionless, so you don't hand over money and you don't get the stress of watching a taxi meter racking up the dollars, and usually you'll get a quote for the ride beforehand, so there shouldn't be any surprises.

Finally, if you want to save a few dollars, you can find codes to get a free first ride--retailmenot.com usually has several that might work. If you want to try Lyft and it's in your area, they also usually offer $5 off the first several rides, and you can compare prices on a trip to maybe save a few dollars.

Uber also just came out with a new VISA card through Barclay that has the sweet benefits of 4% cash back on dining and bars and 3% back on flights and hotels, 2% on online spending, and $50 refund of money spent for Amazon Prime or any streaming service if you spend $5,000 a year, and no foreign transaction fee, so those who eat out or travel a lot might consider it.
Greentree

Post by Greentree »

If you think taxis are courteous, you'll love Uber:). I always hated taking taxis because they generally drove like nuts in our bigger city. Uber drivers drive like normal people. My only bad experience over many trips is a suburban driver who didn't know how to drive in the city. It took us forever to merge, etc. but I'll take uber over a taxi any day.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

rj49 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:15 pm I drive for Uber and Lyft to stay engaged, to have some of the satisfactions of work without the drawbacks, even though I'm retired and have no debts. I use my earnings for travel and to contribute to a Roth IRA, and it pays for the lease on my Corolla as well and gives me an excuse to lease new cars every 3 years.
Thank you, rj49,

This is very informative,
Victoria
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

mouses wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:04 am

Perhaps drivers could avoid that by not working past a certain time at night.
The pub crawl mountain bike issue was a Saturday afternoon and the open intoxicants were around 7:00p.m. on the next Saturday. They wanted to pre-drink before the club. I never did the bar rushes since I usually work in the morning.
rob

Post by rob »

rj49 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:15 pm <snip>newer-model car capable of carrying 4 passengers.<snip>
This has not been my experience... I've had a number of very old/dirty cars.. and a couple of ex cabs :-/ It's one of my main issues... I just don't want to drive in a smoking car or one manufactured a decade or more ago. I can get a cab for that experience.

Uber works great with a couple of exceptions :-
- Some areas get little service - especially in suburbs where the arrival time is just like the train station and not based on reality.
- Flakey drivers that never turn up and say they did or just take forever and hope you cancel first, so they get the cancel fee.
- Complaints just get form replies and infuriatingly never address your issue. At this point drivers are clearly more important than riders to Uber.
- The calls BEFORE they accept the fare so they know how far your going... I get this a lot at night at airports.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

rob wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:45 pm - Some areas get little service - especially in
Rather than tell the customer "no cars available", there should be an option to summon a car from further away by paying a surcharge (perhaps the deadhead fare to the pickup point). Not sure why they haven't implemented something like that.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:00 amI have zero stats, but I think Uber and Lyft might actually cut down on DUIs. Maybe the ease of getting a ride, and the cost being reasonable leads some people to not take foolish risks by drinking and driving.
Our twenty-somethings consistently use Uber when going out and alcohol is involved. They're safer than I was at that age. :shock: Access is easy, prices seem reasonable, especially when shared.

In my limited personal experience, Uber cars are clean and prompt. In my smaller city, taxis are beaters and the sleazy-looking drivers smoke in them. No, thanks.
motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool »

I still pre-book a taxi for early morning rides to the Airport. I just can’t sleep well at night not knowing for sure that I have a ride. Otherwise, I love Uber for any other scenario where I need a ride.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
Tamales

Post by Tamales »

On top of the just-announced hack of Uber that involved 57 million of its users (and the associated cover-up that Uber tried to hide for over a year), another Uber news item from yesterday is that Uber permitted unqualified drivers (e.g. felons) to drive, and is being fined ~$9M by Colorado. It's hard to imagine that was limited to one state.

But once you get loyal customers, they will rationalize bad behavior and pretend none of it happened, or even defend the company's actions. And so it goes.... :confused
CollegePrudens

Post by CollegePrudens »

motorcyclesarecool wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 am I still pre-book a taxi for early morning rides to the Airport. I just can’t sleep well at night not knowing for sure that I have a ride. Otherwise, I love Uber for any other scenario where I need a ride.
One can pre-book an uber. The feature is called "schedule a ride". See https://www.uber.com/info/scheduled-rides/

I used "schedule a ride" recently and it does work.

Hope this helps.
We need to learn to want what we have, not to have what we want, in order to get stable and steady happiness - The 14th Dalai Lama
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Tamales wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:58 am On top of the just-announced hack of Uber that involved 57 million of its users (and the associated cover-up that Uber tried to hide for over a year), another Uber news item from yesterday is that Uber permitted unqualified drivers (e.g. felons) to drive, and is being fined ~$9M by Colorado. It's hard to imagine that was limited to one state.

But once you get loyal customers, they will rationalize bad behavior and pretend none of it happened, or even defend the company's actions. And so it goes.... :confused
How bad can it be? They let Mr. Money Mustache be an Uber driver. :)

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2017/11 ... er-driver/

His beef was more that it's a terrible way to make a living, at least the way he was doing it.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool »

CollegePrudens wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:11 am
motorcyclesarecool wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 am I still pre-book a taxi for early morning rides to the Airport. I just can’t sleep well at night not knowing for sure that I have a ride. Otherwise, I love Uber for any other scenario where I need a ride.
One can pre-book an uber. The feature is called "schedule a ride". See https://www.uber.com/info/scheduled-rides/

Hope this helps.
”Schedule a Ride” has two shortcomings:
1. It is only in select markets.
2. It does not guarantee a ride. It only estimates the lead time and sends out a ping on your behalf. You have to permit a 15 minute window, and even though you requested an XL for four people and their luggage, you may get a car that is not suitable.

It probably would be good enough in a big city, but I’d rather prebook a taxi or airport shuttle van for an early morning flight.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
schmitz

Post by schmitz »

sauron22333 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:08 am In my experience Uber is way better than taxi. I used to use taxi a lot but now it is exclusively Uber. Here are some reasons why:
1. App is super easy to use and is very transparent about driver and trip details
2. They take feedback seriously
3. You never need to carry cash
4. You always get a receipt (very important for business travelers like me)
5. Drivers are very interesting people and I’ve had many fascinating conversations
6. You will occasionally ride in great cars. I get an occasional Audi or Cadillac here and there

Overall, my experience with taxis would be 3 on a scale of 10 and with Uber 8 out of 10.

Just last week, I had to get a taxi at Minneapolis airport (didn’t have time to wait for Uber as I was running late for a meeting) and once I reached my destination, the driver started asking for cash saying his cc machine wasn’t working. I did have cash luckily but he didn’t have enough change so despite the horrible service, I ended up paying a tip to this guy. I will absolutely avoid taxis in the future as I have been since I started sing Uber a couple of years ago.
There’s a good chance the cab driver scammed you. The “cc machine isn’t working” is often a lie. And I’ve heard they must accept credit cards or else you don’t have to pay. Might be a state dependent law.
CollegePrudens

Post by CollegePrudens »

motorcyclesarecool wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:52 am
CollegePrudens wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:11 am

Hope this helps.
”Schedule a Ride” has two shortcomings:
1. It is only in select markets.
2. It does not guarantee a ride. It only estimates the lead time and sends out a ping on your behalf. You have to permit a 15 minute window, and even though you requested an XL for four people and their luggage, you may get a car that is not suitable.

It probably would be good enough in a big city, but I’d rather prebook a taxi or airport shuttle van for an early morning flight.
In my market (sf Bay Area suburb) the scheduled ride was guaranteed (as much uber or any taxi service can guarantee in advance). We booked the day before, the driver accepted and our card was checked (pending charge). The driver arrived the next day in the 15 minute window that uber indicated the day before.

We didn’t have any car size requirements. That said, our experience was not significantly different than what we have experienced with scheduling shuttles in a similar way (Ie the day before or so).
We need to learn to want what we have, not to have what we want, in order to get stable and steady happiness - The 14th Dalai Lama
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Not that any taxi/shuttle/ride service guarantees much but, from the description below, this sounds more like a scheduled request than a scheduled ride. I suspect they're doing little more than storing your request in their system until the appointed time. When released, it's just another ride request.
https://www.uber.com/info/scheduled-rides/

Q: Am I guaranteed to get a ride?

A: Uber actively monitors availability to ensure that a car will arrive during the period you schedule a ride, but does not guarantee your scheduled ride. In the rare case a car cannot be found, you’ll be notified immediately."

https://www.uber.com/info/scheduled-rides/UK/

"... When the time comes, we'll request a car on your behalf to be ready and waiting when it's time to go. ..."
CollegePrudens

Post by CollegePrudens »

spammagnet wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:10 am Not that any taxi/shuttle/ride service guarantees much but, from the description below, this sounds more like a scheduled request than a scheduled ride. I suspect they're doing little more than storing your request in their system until the appointed time. When released, it's just another ride request.
https://www.uber.com/info/scheduled-rides/

Q: Am I guaranteed to get a ride?

A: Uber actively monitors availability to ensure that a car will arrive during the period you schedule a ride, but does not guarantee your scheduled ride. In the rare case a car cannot be found, you’ll be notified immediately."

https://www.uber.com/info/scheduled-rides/UK/

"... When the time comes, we'll request a car on your behalf to be ready and waiting when it's time to go. ..."
I suppose one could call it a scheduled request. However the requesting happens ahead of time - in my case 1 day ahead. And the driver accepted the request ahead of time as well (a minute or so after the request).

Effectively, this worked the same as calling a shuttle service one day ahead. If a driver had not accepted the ride ahead of time, our fallback was to order a shuttle service on the phone. We don’t have a preferred shuttle service but have an existing billing (credit card on file) relationship with Uber - so we were motivated to explore the uber option.

The ride was to the airport for a 6:30 flight. So we wanted to have something in place ahead of time.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

CollegePrudens wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:05 pmI suppose one could call it a scheduled request. However the requesting happens ahead of time - in my case 1 day ahead. And the driver accepted the request ahead of time as well (a minute or so after the request).
The driver having accepted it in advance is different than how I interpreted it. Having accepted it, the driver's rating would suffer if they didn't show up on time. That's probably as good as you could expect from any similar service.
PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 »

What's with the not tipping? These people don't make much money to begin with. What's wrong with giving them a few extra bucks to get them closer to a decent wage?

Back when I was doing taxes, I did quite a few Uber/Lyft tax returns. After wear/tear on your car and paying income and self employment taxes some of these people were breaking even at best. I had several want to quit when I told them how much taxes they owed. Said it wasn't worth it.

So, go ahead, give them a little tip next time.