Are expensive tires worth it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fortfun

Are expensive tires worth it?

Post by fortfun » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Looking for new tires for my Toyota Highlander. I can get 4 Michelin's (LTX defender) out the door for $722 from Discount Tire (with the rebate). The other name brands aren't much less. Are the Michelin's worth the extra money OR is it better just to go with the generic?

hicabob

Re: Are expensive tires worth it?

Post by hicabob » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:35 pm

Stopping in 10 less feet can save much more than the difference in tire prices. Personally I crowbar open the wallet and buy highly rated tires.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:37 pm

hicabob wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:35 pm
Stopping in 10 less feet can save much more than the difference in tire prices. Personally I crowbar open the wallet and buy highly rated tires.
Thanks Hicabob. That's my current thinking. I just wonder if the Michelin's really stop 10 feet sooner?

Lonestarz

Post by Lonestarz » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:37 pm

I don’t know if the brand matters - but the model does. Some mid to high level tried will have improved traction. Also maybe quieter ride. Never buy the cheapest ones.

If you’re spending $$ on tires , with a Highlander ($35k and low 20’s mpg?) the cost differential for some better tires is not large on total cost of ownership.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Lonestarz wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:37 pm
I don’t know if the brand matters - but the model does. Some mid to high level tried will have improved traction. Also maybe quieter ride. Never buy the cheapest ones.

If you’re spending $$ on tires , with a Highlander ($35k and low 20’s mpg?) the cost differential for some better tires is not large on total cost of ownership.
Thanks Lonestarz. Does 722 seems like a decent price?

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:41 pm

Expensive tires don't matter.

Good tires matter a lot!

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:47 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:41 pm

Good tires matter a lot!
True. I just don't know how to tell the difference. Do you? I suppose Consumer Reports probably has an article on it. I don't get consumer reports and I don't necessarily trust the people posting on Tirerack.com etc.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:51 pm

fortfun wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:47 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote:

Good tires matter a lot!
True. I just don't know how to tell the difference. Do you? I suppose Consumer Reports probably has an article on it. I don't get consumer reports and I don't necessarily trust the people posting on Tirerack.com etc.
I used to trust CR. Now I go by Tirerack reviews. First I look for quality; then I try to find value.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:00 pm

fortfun wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:40 pm
Lonestarz wrote:

Go to tire rack and calculate the price of tires, tax, shipping plus $80-100 for installation and see how that matches up to you 722 number.

I typically spend the money to get quality tires. Michelin is a good brand, but there are others that are equally good depending on the specific tire.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:04 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:51 pm
fortfun wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:47 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote:

Good tires matter a lot!

I used to trust CR. Now I go by Tirerack reviews. First I look for quality; then I try to find value.
I think the Tirerack reviews are just consumer surveys. I really question whether consumers really know much about the details and whether they aren't biased by brand names.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

stlrick

Post by stlrick » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:22 pm

I doubt that I ever really obtain the accurate information to determine what actually is the best tire for my car, but once I have whatever information I can find, I have never given a moment's thought to the cost of that tire. Just turn around and take a look at your children in the back seat (or now, grandchildren). There are few things where the difference between penny wise and pound foolish could be more extreme.

tj

Post by tj » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:24 pm

fortfun wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:31 pm
Looking for new tires for my Toyota Highlander. I can get 4 Michelin's (LTX defender) out the door for $722 from Discount Tire (with the rebate). The other name brands aren't much less. Are the Michelin's worth the extra money OR is it better just to go with the generic?
You might be able to get these cheaper at Costco. If you're a costco member, check at costco.com. I would have saved $$ on the same brand of tires if I did Costco instead of Discount Tire.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:26 pm

tj wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:24 pm
fortfun wrote:
You might be able to get these cheaper at Costco. If you're a costco member, check at costco.com. I would have saved $$ on the same brand of tires if I did Costco instead of Discount Tire.
Thanks TJ. I'm not a member but I'll look into the potential savings. It's a bit far from my house to use regularly.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:27 pm

stlrick wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:22 pm
I doubt that I ever really obtain the accurate information to determine what actually is the best tire for my car, but once I have whatever information I can find, I have never given a moment's thought to the cost of that tire. Just turn around and take a look at your children in the back seat (or now, grandchildren). There are few things where the difference between penny wise and pound foolish could be more extreme.
True.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:28 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:00 pm
fortfun wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:40 pm
Lonestarz wrote:

Go to tire rack and calculate the price of tires, tax, shipping plus $80-100 for installation and see how that matches up to you 722 number.

I typically spend the money to get quality tires. Michelin is a good brand, but there are others that are equally good depending on the specific tire.
Thanks KenKat.

FraggleRock

Post by FraggleRock » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:30 pm

I have decided NO based upon our driving.
We only put 4500 miles per year on our car.
Our typical speed is about 20-25 miles per hour as we live in the city.
We only drive on the super highway for about 100 miles/year and never in inclement weather.
We don't drive on crappy snow-covered roads. We just stay home.

Therefore, no more Cooper Zeons and hello to Hankook Ventus.

Veiled

Post by Veiled » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Paying more for tires only make sense to me when they improve mileage and save you money. There's a list of tires with low rolling resistance here.
Pardon me as I read these one hundred and fifty-seven SP vs LLC vs Scorp threads...

tj

Post by tj » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:39 pm

fortfun wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:26 pm
tj wrote:
fortfun wrote:
Thanks TJ. I'm not a member but I'll look into the potential savings. It's a bit far from my house to use regularly.
I probably wouldn't bother if you're not a member.

Atgard

Post by Atgard » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:07 pm

I have been called frugal many times, and cheap a few. But I would never ever skimp on tires.

It doesn't matter how great of a car you have, how much power, what brand, what the handling performance or stopping distance are, etc. -- if the tires are crap, they are the only thing actually touching the road. The better handling, resistance to blowouts, etc. is literally priceless (a friend had a tire blowout and severe injuries from a car accident).

Now, is the most expensive tire always the best tire (especially for your specific use, i.e. summer tires vs. snow tires vs. run-flats)? Not necessarily, but a good tire from a trusted brand like Michelin is a very good start. I use Michelins, but I can't say if their ______ tire brand is as good as the Pilot Sport 2's that I use. Yes, I researched various brands in various places before selecting them. If you're not looking for maximum performance, that may be overkill, but I still wouldn't buy an off-brand to save a few bucks. (And please do not ask me about used tires.) :D

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:23 pm

The Michelin Defenders are outstanding. Last year my son put them on his truck and suv. All from Costco.
nice ride, good all around. We have snow and ice so we'll see how they do this winter.
I have the Michelin at2 ltx on my Toyota Tundra. They do well. I think the Defenders are quieter and softer and will likely last a little bit longer because the tread pattern is not quite as aggressive.
IMHO the best quality tires for the car/truck is the right price at any price.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:37 pm

Every year Costco has tires on sale, you can get $70 for 4 Michelin tires.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:58 pm

We buy LesSchwabTires (western states distributor) best tires. They may not be as good as other brands but the are good enough and not cheap. Their service, locations, are supurb. There is a LesSchwab close to every major hiway and city down to 10k -15k populations. My midvalley city of 120k has 6 stores. From tractor tires to 12 in tires and I have had need for both and the service for mounting a tractor tire. They don't carry bicycle tires but I can get free service for the bicycle tires. I have received a couple of free tires from road hazards/sidewall damage
Shameless plug. :mrgreen:
Last edited by itstoomuch on Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

HerbRight

Post by HerbRight » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:03 pm

I think yes, in my experience I try to replace always with the same model/brand than the originals... I had a flat tire and even on rain and on a curve, the tire hold up great and ran several miles...

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:25 pm

Assuming they work well with your vehicle (check tire rack.com), yes they are worth it.

They ride nicely for a long-life tire. I have had two sets of the Ltx defenders’ predecessor and both sets have lasted for more than 80,000 miles.

Will definitely buy again.

JT

Lonestarz

Post by Lonestarz » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:31 pm

Partially depends on tire size - larger wheels, more expensive. Part of the joy in driving a cheap car is things like good tires are also much cheaper.

We just go to Costco and take their recommendations- shoot for the discount (that they have almost every other month). Costco never seems to be the best price but it is a fair price and I’d rather just get it done than spend half a day trying to save $50 (if I’m lucky).

For a SUV $750 sounds reasonable. I’d get a quote on the cheapest tires and then a reccomendation on what they would suggest based on your driving conditions (snow? Highway, off road, fast swerving in and out of traffic?)

Odds are the better tire is going to be not significantly more.

If you’re going to some random shop sure price check the tire online.

voltaire

Post by voltaire » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:47 pm

Not a direct comparison to OP's vehicle--but, I was most impressed in the improvement in ride when I replaced my Jaguar's tires with Michelin Pilot Sport tires (high speed rated summer tires). Better ride, better handling, stopping feels surer. I would buy similar tires again in an instant even though they only have a 30,000 mile warranty.

I got them on closeout at America's Discount Tire which is a good operation--but, next time might try Costco.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:58 pm

It depends on the reason why they are expensive. One reason for tires being expensive is that they are intended to resist the heat that builds up from driving 124 mph for long periods of time. If you drive 124 mph for long periods of time then, yes, you should pay for a tire with the appropriate speed rating.

I don't buy terribly expensive tires, but I do have an expensive habit: I buy new tires long before wear bars are showing on my old tires. That probably makes me a bad person from a green standpoint, but it does seem as if tires get noticeably less grippy in winter long before the tread is "worn out."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Woodshark

Post by Woodshark » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:01 pm

I don't know if expensive tires are worth it but I can attest that cheap tires are not. We have an old minivan that we use very occasionally to haul things like furniture or bagged mulch from Home Depot. We might put 2500 miles a year on it so the last time it needed tires I went with cheaper tires than I would put on a daily driver. I bought Goodyear Viva II tires. They were priced less than the tires we normally would buy, but they were a name brand so I thought they would be OK, and at first they were. The "bargain" was short lived. I replaced them yesterday, because after only 9,000 miles and less than three years of occasional use, they were so out of round that two different tires shops said they could not be balanced. A quick internet search showed that it was a common complaint about this tire.

Lesson learned.

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:17 pm

Tire Rack does actual test comparisons between tires that put stopping distance, handling, wet/snow traction, and the like to the test. There is a big difference between mediocre tires and high performance tires. My wife's Impala had these god awful Goodyear Integrity tires on them that would squeal and break loose on dry pavement. Test drove a V6 mustang once that had the same tires and it was terrible, spun the tires with normal acceleration on dry pavement. The Continental DWS I put on my car are leaps and bounds better than those and the OEM Yokohamas they replaced. They'll put my face into the steering wheel without kicking in the ABS at max braking. That's what you want if you're trying to avoid being at fault... Or dead.

I'm with those above: look into 3rd party testing and get the best set you can afford.

$700 for a full set of new quality tires seems about right. That's about what I paid for my Contis
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:26 pm

I prefer Goodyear tires but my younger formerly broke self did just fine with a set of kumhos.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:32 pm

Atgard wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:07 pm
I have been called frugal many times, and cheap a few. But I would never ever skimp on tires.

It doesn't matter how great of a car you have, how much power, what brand, what the handling performance or stopping distance are, etc. -- if the tires are crap, they are the only thing actually touching the road. The better handling, resistance to blowouts, etc. is literally priceless (a friend had a tire blowout and severe injuries from a car accident).

snip...
+100 I bought new tires recently and my mechanic agreees with Atgard. IIRC, I paid~$750 for four tires for my SUV. I'm frugal in lots of ways, buying tires is not one of them.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:42 pm

Atgard wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:07 pm

Now, is the most expensive tire always the best tire (especially for your specific use, i.e. summer tires vs. snow tires vs. run-flats)? Not necessarily, but a good tire from a trusted brand like Michelin is a very good start. I use Michelins, but I can't say if their ______ tire brand is as good as the Pilot Sport 2's that I use. Yes, I researched various brands in various places before selecting them. If you're not looking for maximum performance, that may be overkill, but I still wouldn't buy an off-brand to save a few bucks. (And please do not ask me about used tires.) :D
For most people the mid range tires tend to be the best deal. The improvement between them and the "top" of the line tends to be pretty minimal for most uses (i.e. if you are driving north of 100mph you have different concerns than I do as far as things like speed ratings). The real bottom of the tire barrel is noticeably lower in quality.

Peter G

Post by Peter G » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:43 pm

Our test covers many sized tyres from brands such as Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone and Yokohama.

Our expert testers give every set of tyres a thorough workout to help find the tyres that:

are best at wet and dry cornering
have the shortest stopping distances in wet and dry conditions
have the lowest rolling resistance to save you money on fuel
offer you safety at a reasonable price.
Our interactive comparison tool helps you find out which brands are safer and the best value for money. Our Recommended list will help you see quickly which models come out on top.
https://www.choice.com.au/transport/car ... re-reviews
You might find a product suitable for yourself in this impartial comparison by a consumer organisation.

O2sats

Post by O2sats » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:11 pm

I try to be a cost-conscious consumer in many ways, but I do subscribe to the philosophy of not going cheap on things that stand between you and the ground-shoes, mattress, and tires.

cantos

Post by cantos » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:18 am

I don't gamble on this one. Michelin Defenders for most of the year, and Michelin X-Ice 3 for the winters. Is my life/health and those in my car worth the extra $500 or whatever bucks? Of course. Statistically speaking compared with many activities, driving is dangerous. Do what you can to make it safer.

msk

Post by msk » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:37 am

All tires have a rating code on them. Learn how to read the code and make an intelligent choice. E.g. A very hard, long-wearing tread will obviously compromise on grip. A tire made for cold climates will very likely be rather soft when used in an Arizona summer, etc. Great on grip but rather accelerated wear. A tire made for hard use off road will almost always be rather noisy on tarmac. You pay for premium materials in the tire manufacture so that all those levels are at a higher compromise level overall. An easy way to decide: just use the same ratings as the manufacturer put on your vehicle ex-factory, not necessarily the same brand.

LowER

Post by LowER » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:04 am

BFG TKOs have served me well for 25+ years on mini and super duty trucks between northern Alaska and southern Mexico, on some pretty dicey terrain and lots of snow. Never a flat, ever, even on my F350 with ridiculous hp and torque, on some pretty unforgiving terrain, and deflated. Snow performance is great but not the best out there. I've drive a few others with disastrous results.

If you go back and read my prior posts, you'll see that I'm very frugal about many things, but tires is not one of those.

ladders11

Post by ladders11 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:07 am

Agree with the sentiment, don't be too cheap about tires, or shoes... drive safely!

IMO

Post by IMO » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:55 am

There are a number of factors to consider on tires. Some things are a give/take on tires. A basic review on the various aspects of tires can be found on-line with Consumer Reports: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/tires/buying-guide

You can also link to some various tire category reviews via the above site. As typical with most personal consumer reviews, you will find a large variety on ratings (some 1's and some 5's) so if you read enough reviews you can make a best guess if the tires were liked or not by the reviewers.

Seems if you want objective data on things like real life tread wear, you need to subscribe to Consumer Reports and hope that the tire you're interested in was tested and/or the one tested is still available.

I never understand when people say they prefer brand "x" vs. "y" because each company has many different products. Furthermore, each car type has specific issues, so for example, what works on a sports car may not work on a pick up truck, what works in the AZ dessert heat may not work great up in the winters in Flagstaff, etc. If you live in the snow, the best performing all weather tire probably won't compare to the lowest cost studded snow tire in winter for safety reasons. Quieter tires may perform poorer in the snow or rain (I don't know the answer?).

I do know that when it comes to go karts and F-1 racing, for dry weather, it's not treads that give the best performance. But then again, a real life tire with no tread wouldn't work too good if you got even a little rain.

just frank

Post by just frank » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:41 am

What Nisi said....if you get a LOT of rain, or any snow/ice, replace the tires when the tread gets low. My guess is that any cheap new tire will outperform any expensive tire worn to 4/16" in bad weather.

I also found the MIchelin Premier A/S tires that are engineered to have constant stopping power as they age (more grooves open up in the tread). That sold me....I care how they will work in 30,000 miles, not how they are leaving the tire store parking lot.

My rationale is that a lot of cars can now stop faster than before, b/c of automatic braking and traction control. You want to be able to stop FASTER than most other cars on the road to avoid rear-ending someone...and being liable.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:14 am

tj wrote:
fortfun wrote:
I second this, and have bought all of my tires from Costco for 10+ years. I also second the sentiment that the right process is to look for the best tires for your application (there will usually be 2 or 3 excellent choices), and only then look for the best deal on those specific tires.

OP didn't provide year/trim level, so I mocked up a 2010 SE (mid-level model). With the $70 rebate and the penny install that is running now, the total with IL fees/taxes would come to $708, so a modest savings. But that also includes nitrogen fill, lifetime balancing/rotating, and road hazard. I'm not sure if the $722 price includes the "certificates" that Discount Tire requires you to buy to get road hazard protection. If not, then the gap widens to almost $100.

Bridgestone H/L Dueler Alenza is another good choice for this application--that's what I have on my Lexus RX, which is the same as the Highlander--but Bridgestone isn't on sale at the moment. Michelin Premier LTX is also solid. Choose the Premier for better wet traction, the Defender for better snow traction.

zlltt

Post by zlltt » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:57 am

Woodshark wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:01 pm
I don't know if expensive tires are worth it but I can attest that cheap tires are not. We have an old minivan that we use very occasionally to haul things like furniture or bagged mulch from Home Depot. We might put 2500 miles a year on it so the last time it needed tires I went with cheaper tires than I would put on a daily driver. I bought Goodyear Viva II tires. They were priced less than the tires we normally would buy, but they were a name brand so I thought they would be OK, and at first they were. The "bargain" was short lived. I replaced them yesterday, because after only 9,000 miles and less than three years of occasional use, they were so out of round that two different tires shops said they could not be balanced. A quick internet search showed that it was a common complaint about this tire.

Lesson learned.
for me , the lesson learned from your posted experience is
"ought to thorough research before purchase". the review and rating of Goodyear Viva ii must be not good, right?

also,I believe if you do research more, you will find some inexpensive tires with less popular brand name but equally good quality.

back to op question, more expensive tires usually have something more advanced features than inexpensive ones. longer life time, quieter, or better high speed performance.if I don't care road noise or it doesn't snow in your living area, the expensive ones are not wise choice.

further more, except the everyone known brands: Michelin bridgestone etc.there must exist some 2nd tier brand with equally good quality tires but much lower price in the market.you just need spend some time do the research find them out. IMHO some Japanese tires are pretty good choice , but not that popular.for a non luxury Honda driver.
for luxury car driver, I think so
called expensive tires worth your precious time and trusted brand confidence. no brainier. if I afford to drive BMW/Benz/Ferrari/porches.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:01 am

I am a long time user of Michelin tires. Their best tires always have high performance ratings and they have paid off for me several times. One time a driver turned in front of me at an intersection. I just knew I was going to hit her but hit my brakes hard, and to my amazement stopped on a dime avoiding an accident. I was driving a 1992 Camry with normal brakes, so it had to be the tires. I am convinced Michelins add a level of safety that I am willing to pay for.

OTOH, I never get the mileage in their tread life warranty. I had a long conversation with a service manager at a large dealership recently. He said he has only seen a couple of people qualify for a prorata rebate on their tread warranty. I did not qualify with my last set of tires but he told me to contact Michelin and complain which I did. I got a discount of $130 on my next set of tires. The point is do not expect to get the mileage warranted with Michelin tires. The discount I got was a nice surprise but I am not banking on it for the next time.