How much do you budget for vacation?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
randomguy

Re: How much do you budget for vacation?

Post by randomguy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:56 pm

pacamoky wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:48 pm
Speaking of vacations, does anyone else struggle with feeling some remorse due to the carbon footprint created from traveling?
Nope. Other choices I make like eating meat, driving a car, and so on result in a much higher output than what I do for a week or two a year.

This is one of those useless questions as you are going to get responses that range the gamut. Even normalizing by income is hard as high income people can blow more money on luxury goods like vacations if they want to. And then you will find people that think flights and hotels are free if you use points despite the fact that those points could have been converted to cash. And so on.

And in the end for a lot of people it varys. I don't have a budget but only rough ideas of what I want to spend on discrentionary entertainment. Some years that entertainment budget is spend on buying TVs and computers. Other years trips to europe. And in other years going to concerts. And one year it bought a new bathroom.

annielouise

Post by annielouise » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:05 pm

Our travel bucket (couple, no kids at home) generally has $5k to $10k in it.

This year we traveled:

to a wedding (clothes, flight, car, food - stayed with relatives) $800

to The Netherlands for 10 days (1 passport, 1 suitcase, travel guides, flights, airbnb, transportation, activities, food) $4200

So we spent $5000, but we have already filled the travel bucket back up to $10k for 2018. We've been keeping it higher anticipating last minute travel needs, but we are learning that "terminal" doesn't necessarily mean "soon".

cfs

Post by cfs » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:13 pm

No budgeting required on my side of the house. Now seriously, I just purchase the tickets, pack my travel vest with cash, pack my bags out I go. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas. Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:17 pm

We currently budgeted $10K per year for vacation in retirement, which I have found to be not sufficient. We already spent $15K in 2017. Plan to double or triple that amount. That is why I am still working on making more money after FI.

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:19 pm

HIinvestor wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:56 pm
Honestly we don’t budget and never have, tho we live well below our annual income. We take about 4 or more trips a year that last 1-3+ weeks. Sometimes my airfare is covered, sometimes a night or more of hotel is covered, more often it is all on our own dime but airfare is rarely more than $1000/person/trip and sometimes only $500/person/trip or less. We stay at hotels that are convenient to where we want to be that are about 3 or 4* or have sometimes stayed for a few days with loved ones and travel economy plus because we are United silver premier.

The price of lodging, transportation and meals varies greatly, depending on location. Indianapolis is generally much cheaper than Chicago, SF and DC, and Honolulu for example. We often base our travel on meetings I attend and tack leisure stops to my meetings, favoring in-park lodging at national parks.

When we have done a foreign trip, it’s often a package tour that includes everything (air, luxury lodging & meals) for under $4k/person for 10 Days.

We spend about $3500/person/year for domestic airfare, but sometimes more. Dunno, maybe we spend $10k or more on domestic lodging and more on meals but don’t specifically track either unless they are unreimbursed business expenses.

Oh, we always pay off our credit cards in full and never carry a balance. These days, we only pay for vacations out of current cash flow and never out of savings.

When the kids were young and living with us, trips were 4 airfares instead of 2 but we all shared 1 room and 1 car, so those expenses weren’t that high. We only took 1 or 2 trips a year back then because it was tough coordinating schedules and we had lots of ed expenses and college. Now that college has been paid off and H has retired, we are enjoying traveling more.
We discuss where we'd like to go a year or so in advance, plan the trip, and look at the cost. If it's more than what we "feel" is reasonable, then we adjust. Sometimes it ends up where a trip to the Philippines becomes a trip to California. Sometimes it goes the other way. Then money gets set aside each month to accommodate the projected travel costs.

I've only ever budgeted my savings -- I determine how much to save and in which accounts, setup automagic transfers, and let it go. The rest is living/discretionary, though it's rarely entirely spent at the end of the month. I've been lucky to have jobs that permit that style of "budgeting" though.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:47 pm

pacamoky wrote:
Speaking of vacations, does anyone else struggle with feeling some remorse due to the carbon footprint created from traveling?
"For over seven years, Qantas and Virgin Australia have offered passengers the chance to add carbon credits to the cost of their tickets"

It is handled under Australia's Fly Carbon Neutral program which is certified and independently verified by the federal government's National Carbon Offset Standard.

Even if you don't live in Australia or use an airline that doesn't offer it directly, there are lots of way to do carbon offsetting.

msk

Post by msk » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:23 am

My vacation budget has not changed since my college student days to now 18 years in retirement. Daily expenses not to exceed my daily earnings/pension, fares extra coming from savings. Hence we have tended to take very long vacations, since there is no real financial pain. Travelled Economy till recently, hence did not have to give much thought as to fares. Now switched to Business Class and I get annoyed at having to cough up $20+k just for fares :annoyed We generally stay in 4* accommodation in HCOL countries, 5* in LCOL countries, hotels for a week or less, apartments for more than a week in one place.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:01 am

We retired this year (late 50's), and like to travel. Many years ago, when finances were tight, we budgeted fairly carefully. When income increased, we stopped budgeting and just relied our natural saving and LBYM tendencies. Since we have no pensions or other regular income until we claim SS, I am doing a bit more expense planning and tracking for the next couple of years to make sure we stay on a good financial track.

Our target spending is about 50% travel and 50% for the rest of our expenses. We don't really worry ahead of time how much we are spending, but if we start going over the annual target for multiple years, we will sit down and take a closer look at why, and whether we think it is sustainable. The good thing about this model, is that it is a lot easier to cut back travel if investments return poorly than it is to get out of a luxury car lease or big mortgage payment. At retirement, we reorganized some aspects of our life (downsized a notch, paid off a mortgage) to keep the required monthly expenses to a moderate level even though we live in a VHCOL area.

This year will probably have two trips to Europe of around 1 month each, along with several trips within US. We will see how long we keep up this pace; if it stops being fun, we will cut back.

For us, in addition to our own vacations, we really enjoy time spent with our kids and grandkids, and so sometimes we pay part or all of the cost for them to go someplace they might not go on their own budgets (they are also LBYM). This has ended up being a significant chunk of our travel expenses, though not necessarily every year.

We still tend to look for the best value (to us) in our travels, even with this larger travel budget, but we are willing to spend more for things than we used to, recognizing that we may not always have another opportunity.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 am

Our Budget/Reality: Depends on the accounting method used. We often pay for a cruise in year one for year two: Where to allocate the expense? For this year, we spent about 14% of gross om travel. However; if the numerator includes what we prepaid for a trip next year, we spent 31%.

However, this percentage does not include unredeemed investment returns or a hypothetical 4% withdraw rate. If we added that to the denominator; our percentage would be a lot lower.

On a marginally-related topic: One can’t travel forever. If you are lucky enough to maintain good health into your late 70s or mid-80s, that would be a blessing. At some point, the body can’t take travel, so the trips become shorter (time and distance), until travel stops. So lifetime travel budgets should presume front-loading.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:10 am

Less than 5% of annual gross income is our budget and we stick to it most years. As we mature we see a change in balance between the awe of being in exotic places (which has about worn off at this point) and the joy of being pampered with a cool hotel (or villa), great food and personal guides. We always do this with a sharp eye toward maximizing our own definition of value.

We try to follow a strategy of doing most of our trips in the immediate region since we have lived on several continents. No point in visiting Africa while living in Europe, nor North America while living in Asia. This miminizes transit time, cost and jet lag. We do a mix of short and long trips, domestic and not, car and plane.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:09 am

We don't budget for anything except saving/investing. We spend 6-7% of gross income annually on travel. For reference, we're early 40s DINKs who love to travel. We typically do (per year) one international trip, one long weekend skiing, one weeklong ski trip, one weeklong beach trip and a couple of weekend trips.

-Steph

LEB1230

Post by LEB1230 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:17 am

Depends on when and where we are going. No two vacations are the same.

rg422

Post by rg422 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:35 am

We set aside 10K a year for vacation/family trips (family of 4).

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:46 pm

Right around 1.5K per year. This usually gets us 8 days or so at a S. California beach in the summer.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:44 pm

oh one other thought since you're asking about budgeting which means you're probably cost-conscious. I don't do it this way, but Clark Howard says the way to see the world on the cheap is rather than do what most people do which is plan for where you want to go, instead see what location is on sale and then figure out why you might want to go there. He says different places at different times go on sale (due to currency fluctuations or other reasons) and you may get to travel more because you're spending less on each locale. While it might mean you have to wait to go some place you'd like to, eventually (?) it will go on sale and you'll get it at a bargain. He was in the travel industry before he started his radio show and has traveled the world so probably knows what he's talking about.

He's gotten to go to places that he might have never thought about going to and had wonderful memories. So look for where airfare is on sale (or hotels, or travel packages, etc.) or where countries currencies might be beaten down (relative to your home currency) and take a look at those places. Hope that helps.
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:00 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:46 pm
Right around 1.5K per year. This usually gets us 8 days or so at a S. California beach in the summer.
Ditto, except we are a family of 4. Helps that I am from Southern California and we stay with family and friends. To be totally honest, when we return we usually ask ourselves if it was worth it. To date it has been to visit family and friends annually, but we really do not like California anymore. We have decided that there will be no family "vacation" next year, but have planned a few shorter day visits to places in state. I think our kids (5 and 2) will enjoy a few local attractions even more than the one major vacation - at least for this year. We both travel a bit for work and simply don't enjoy it.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:06 pm

Per day budget $200 in developed countries. $100 in developing countries.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:08 pm

I have earmarked $10k a year in my budget for travel. (I don't call it "vacations" because I'm retired and my life is a vacation now.)
This year, with two international trips, plus a bit of domestic travel, I have gone over the $10k, but my overall budget is still under my allowance, so no problem. I may up the travel $$ if I continue to stay below budget on other parts of my life.

Gotta go. Heading off to SoCal for Turkey Day. More $$ toward travel. (Edit: When I return I will sit down and plot my travels for 2018. So many options.)

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:00 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:00 pm
runner3081 wrote:
Ditto, except we are a family of 4. Helps that I am from Southern California and we stay with family and friends. To be totally honest, when we return we usually ask ourselves if it was worth it. To date it has been to visit family and friends annually, but we really do not like California anymore. We have decided that there will be no family "vacation" next year, but have planned a few shorter day visits to places in state. I think our kids (5 and 2) will enjoy a few local attractions even more than the one major vacation - at least for this year. We both travel a bit for work and simply don't enjoy it.
We are a family of 3... After the first few days, I still enjoy it, but it gets old. Not working is really the best part :)

My daughter, however, LOVES the beach and we do it for her. It isn't a terrible drive from the Phoenix area, either.

However, my wife and are more of the homebody types!

jayk238

vacation budget? How to determine? What is yours?

Post by jayk238 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:25 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

what is an appropriate vacation budget? How do you determine this?
What is your vacation budget per year? What percentage of your income is it? How many in your family?

We are a married couple, no kids. Budget is projected to be 16k next year excluding day trips or short domestic trips. We plan to budget 16k for european/international trips - goal is 4x a year travel.
Income next year will be 255k. 20k in student loan debt and savings goal of 100k.

What do you guys do to determine how much is ok, too much?

I've never travelled until i started residency- not once out of the country except to where my family is from for family stuff that I didnt pay for.

I would say that travel is very important to me- seeing other cultures, ways of life, food etc. So its something I want to do.

I'm not sure however, if waht I want to do can coincide with what is ok- ie savings wise.

We think 16 is doable - but since ive never made the income yet to save or spend this kind of money I wonder how prudent it is.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:26 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:00 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:00 pm
runner3081 wrote:
We are a family of 3... After the first few days, I still enjoy it, but it gets old. Not working is really the best part :)

My daughter, however, LOVES the beach and we do it for her. It isn't a terrible drive from the Phoenix area, either.

However, my wife and are more of the homebody types!
This past summer's "vacation" was a logistical and traveling nightmare, and two days in my wife and I both looked at each other and simultaneously said that we wished we were home. We'll still take the week off of work, but the out-of-state vacation is going to be nixed - at least next year.

Having to travel for work, we've both realized the novelty wears off quick, even quicker when it is with young children. We're just not lovers of traveling. Vacations, for us, should focus on time together as a family without other responsibilities, and not the locale.

mhc

Re: vacation budget? How to determine? What is yours?

Post by mhc » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:53 pm

family of 5

We spend about 30 days a year on vacation.

I don't have a particular vacation budget. I set a saving goal for the year. The rest of our spending tries to be what we consider a good value.

This summer we took a 3 week vacation where we averaged $800/day. If we go to National Parks, we probably average $200-400/day. We like comfortable hotels. We probably spend $20k/yr on vacations.

I have a really hard time spending more than $1000/day on vacation. I don't see the value.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:15 pm

Didn't we just do this?

viewtopic.php?p=3626949

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:49 pm

^^^ Yes, we did. I merged jayk238's thread into here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:13 pm

pacamoky wrote:
No because the alternative would be to stay close to home. You're quite correct that the more people travel, the more CO2 gets released into the atmosphere, but OTOH, society benefits when people become more aware of other cultures and have a wider perspective.

TravelforFun

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:23 pm

jayk238 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:25 pm
what is an appropriate vacation budget? How do you determine this?
What is your vacation budget per year? What percentage of your income is it? How many in your family?
You're asking a diverse group of folks a question that depends on income. The sum total of every out-of-state vacation I've ever taken is probably in the ballpark of $16,000.

Expensive vacations for me tend to equal roughly 2-3 weeks net pay and be a week long. Those are few and far between (significantly less than annually), for two adults and recently also one toddler. I guess on average, we spend 3-5% of gross income on all vacations, but the short road trips and camping that make up most of our vacations don't get specifically budgeted. They're just part of a general discretionary allowance in our budget.

I don't just use those figures arbitrarily though or have a blanket amount to spend each year, and I simply don't have the luxury of setting a goal for a certain number of trips a year. If a reason/desire for a trip comes up, I start by making sure it can be done without affecting higher priority goals (eg - fixed expenses, retirement and then non-retirement savings, charitable giving), and then set a target budget.

If a planned vacation is not penciling out well that way, but is really important to me, I figure out what other compromises to make, and my preference is to take that out of other luxury spending plans for the short term rather than my savings goals. Since one of my most important pre-retirement goals of buying a house is in the past, there is flexibility in my non-retirement savings goal, but there's also hobbies, home improvement projects, eating out, etc. to compromise on.
Last edited by iamlucky13 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:49 pm

"Hundreds" Of Dollars.

:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Bammerman

Post by Bammerman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:54 pm

My dad was a manufacturer's representative and traveled frequently. Here is his advice on packing for a trip:

"First, lay out on your bed, all the clothes you plan to take with you. Next, lay out all the money you think you will need. Finally, take away half of the clothes, and double the money."

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:22 pm

pacamoky wrote:
Not at all.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:09 pm

I live in SoCal. No need for expensive vacations!

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:15 pm

pacamoky wrote:
Never once has this entered my mind.

sco

Post by sco » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:18 pm

pacamoky wrote:
Nope, the planes and trains are going whether you are on it or not. My company travel agent does allow me to purchase carbon credits as part of my travel, of course I can't expense that line item.

sco

Post by sco » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:21 pm

I've spent $1700 to take a family of four first class to the carribean for a week. And I've spent 10k on two big vacations for the year.
It has always been somewhere between those two numbers. I don't count weekend getaways, we don't do a lot of those right now.

thangngo

Post by thangngo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:41 pm

pacamoky wrote:
You're not serious, aren't you?

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:22 am

thangngo wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:41 pm
pacamoky wrote:
You're not serious, aren't you?
Lol, I was thinking the same thing. Some of these places without tourists they would be in extreme poverty, have people thought about what people would do to put food in their mouth without tourists.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:42 pm

2015 $13,353 114 nights outside home
2016 $13,563 119 nights outside home
2017 $15,610 84 nights outside home (so far)

In 2015 and 2016, I had more time away at lower cost because I was spending six weeks on el Camino de Santiago.

When I was estimating my retirement budget, I have allocated a much higher amount to travel. However, I am not even close to reaching it, because most of my trans-Atlantic flights are free (thanks to credit card bonuses), some of my travel is very inexpensive (el Camino, Czech Republic), and some of my travel is to visit friends (France, Toronto).

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:58 pm

pacamoky wrote:
I think about it once in a while and then I concoct justifications for why it's OK. I realize that my justifications are self-serving, but it is what it is. And I compensate in other ways: I use public transportation whenever I can, my car is a 1997 Honda Civic, my apartment requires much less energy than a house would, and most of my food is one-ingredient with minimum packaging.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:59 pm

We have a household budget that includes room for discretionary purchases. To the extent that vacation costs exceed our household budget, we draw from our emergency fund/cash reserve, which covers lumpy, large purchases, such as vacation or summer camp.

seligsoj

Post by seligsoj » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:28 pm

We make a bit over $200k but have spent only about $1000 each year, for the last 3 years on beach vacations within driving distance. With 2 small kids it is the opposite of relaxing to go on vacation, at least for us. My husband and I are also homebodies and like the creature comforts of staying in our home. As the kids get older, we will get more adventurous and take more vacations to expose them to the world.

Jimbo9911

Post by Jimbo9911 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:58 pm

pacamoky wrote:
I don't.
Jim

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:26 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:42 pm

In 2015 and 2016, I had more time away at lower cost because I was spending six weeks on el Camino de Santiago.
You're spending 1/4+ of the year traveling for roughly the median American cost of living for those time periods.

The thread isn't even a competition, but I declare you the winner anyways! :beer

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:34 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:26 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:42 pm

You're spending 1/4+ of the year traveling for roughly the median American cost of living for those time periods.

The thread isn't even a competition, but I declare you the winner anyways! :beer
I like to win, but I must point out that even when I am traveling, I am still paying rent, utilities, car insurance, taxes, and annual membership fees. On the other hand, the cost of living in the metro D.C. area is above the national average.

Cheers,
Victoria

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:00 pm

Toons wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:49 pm
"Hundreds" Of Dollars.
+1

We typically vacation away from people and civilization which means there isn't a lot of ways to spend money while on the vacation.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:50 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:00 pm
Toons wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:49 pm
"Hundreds" Of Dollars.
+1

We typically vacation away from people and civilization which means there isn't a lot of ways to spend money while on the vacation.

Bingo :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:56 pm

We spent 12K this year for a total of 18 days with between 4 - 6 adults (we paid for everything). We saved another $8K using miles and points on those trips. This was a high year for us. We usually spend around 5K total. All U.S. based travel, but flew and rented cars for most of the trips.