Auto Insurance: AAA vs. Travellers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
xerxes101

Auto Insurance: AAA vs. Travellers

Post by xerxes101 »

I have been with AAA for my auto insurance for more than 12 years and I usually do not get any yearly annual quotes. This year I decided to do so since the AAA premium seemed too high to me.

So the quote from Travelers came in at a whopping $400 below my current AAA annual premium!!!

$1491 vs. $1093...AAA is a whopping 36.4% more. Two cars, good drivers.

I called AAA and gave them a chance to match, but they refused to do so. Now I am thinking I should have done this a lot earlier and should not have trusted that AAA would automatically give me a good deal because I have been with them for so many years (by the way, they market themselves as a non-profit organization). :annoyed

I was wondering if anyone cares to share any positive / negative experiences with Travelers auto insurance, 'cause the way it stands right now, they have a new fan :happy
denovo

Re: Auto Insurance: AAA vs. Travellers

Post by denovo »

If you're shopping, do it right. Get a few more quotes, Geico, Progressive, and Allstate. You can do it online.

edited to add: bundling sometimes provides additional saving if you are insuring home.
Last edited by denovo on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
DrakeSRT

Post by DrakeSRT »

You should check American National or ANPAC. A+ rated and beats all previous mentioned companies, at least in my area.
sport

Post by sport »

As long as you are shopping, shop the whole package: auto, home, etc. Often insurance companies give discounts for multi-policy customers. My discounts at State Farm are substantial.
denovo

Post by denovo »

xerxes101 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:28 pm

I was wondering if anyone cares to share any positive / negative experiences with Travelers auto insurance, 'cause the way it stands right now, they have a new fan :happy

I am not sure what state you live in, but it's worth it to check if your state's Department of Insurance has any information. I live in California, and they annually publish a justified complaint/total policies for that insurer so you get an idea how fairly insurers deal with customers when it comes to claims.

It's kind of confusing, because sometimes insurers operate under multiple names but here's what they published for CA.

https://www.insurance.ca.gov/01-consume ... posite.cfm (#1 being best, lowest complaint ratio)
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

denovo wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:01 pm If you're shopping, do it right. Get a few more quotes, Geico, Progressive, and Allstate. You can do it online.
You might also try The Hartford. As in everything else, your results may differ, living in the bumper car capital of the US, shopping auto insurance is always a losing game here in South Florida
AARP supposedly offers a better deal with The Hartford
Once tried using offers to get a better quote and used Costco, BJs and mail promo codes; all came up the same for I think Geico. And by the way they were all higher than The Hartford
NO, I do not work for them or profit from Hartford business
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
denovo

Post by denovo »

sport wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:10 pm As long as you are shopping, shop the whole package: auto, home, etc. Often insurance companies give discounts for multi-policy customers. My discounts at State Farm are substantial.
+1. It's good to check the rules too. Even if OP's home insurance is not up for renewal, many states allow you to cancel with little to no penalty even if in the middle of the term.
karlhall

Post by karlhall »

My experience with AAA

Oddly enough I just switched from State Farm to AAA. My rates dropped from 1300 per year to less than 800. I do get a discount for being a AAA member and their app on my phone tracks my driving. It looks like insurance companies count on lethargy or misplaced customer loyalty to a certain
extent. I had been a multi policy customer with State Farm for over 20 years and supposedly received a discount. Maybe switching companies every few years is the only way to keep rates lower. Geico gave me some pretty decent quotes so you might try them

Karl
Topic Author
xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 »

karlhall wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:25 pm My experience with AAA

Oddly enough I just switched from State Farm to AAA. My rates dropped from 1300 per year to less than 800. I do get a discount for being a AAA member and their app on my phone tracks my driving. It looks like insurance companies count on lethargy or misplaced customer loyalty to a certain extent. I had been a multi policy customer with State Farm for over 20 years and supposedly received a discount. Maybe switching companies every few years is the only way to keep rates lower. Geico gave me some pretty decent quotes so you might try them

Karl
Thanks all, I am planning to get more quotes and include my house as well. Thanks to your advice I definitely feel like a more informed consumer now :thumbsup

Regarding AAA, I definitely get the feeling that they start you off low the first year, and then go up fast to make up for it, so watch out for them. Like you say, this may be a common industry practice; we'll see. Also, my impression is that AAA systems are antiquated, because I usually pay the whole premium in a single payment, but after making full payment, I kept receiving bills for an unpaid balance. It took 2-3 phone calls to straighten things out with them. I hope you have a better experience with them.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

denovo wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:15 pm It's kind of confusing, because sometimes insurers operate under multiple names but here's what they published for CA.
My insurer operates under at least 48 names. It's a major company, and only 13 of the names include the name of the parent insurance company. I think they do that to spread out the risk to different buckets. Reinsurance - A string of major claims in one bucket cannot upset the other buckets.
The discovery of America, and that of a passage to the East Indies by the Cape of Good Hope, are the two greatest and most important events recorded in the history of mankind. -- Adam Smith, 1776
blmarsha123

Post by blmarsha123 »

S&L1940 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:19 pm
denovo wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:01 pm If you're shopping, do it right. Get a few more quotes, Geico, Progressive, and Allstate. You can do it online.
You might also try The Hartford. As in everything else, your results may differ, living in the bumper car capital of the US, shopping auto insurance is always a losing game here in South Florida
AARP supposedly offers a better deal with The Hartford
Once tried using offers to get a better quote and used Costco, BJs and mail promo codes; all came up the same for I think Geico. And by the way they were all higher than The Hartford
NO, I do not work for them or profit from Hartford business
My search at renewal time this year found that The Hartford (AARP) auto insurance was far lower than others (AAA, State Farm, Geico, Nationwide). However, even with bundling, their homeowners insurance was higher than most. So it was kind of a wash.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I have AAA, I think once my last kid is off my insurance, the premium will come back to normal level, normal level is what I would have paid before I added them to my insurance. It should be about $600 for the whole year for one 2013 Ford Explorer, we don’t drive much now that we retire. Plus we have multiple discounts from them.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

blmarsha123 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:29 pm

My search at renewal time this year found that The Hartford (AARP) auto insurance was far lower than others (AAA, State Farm, Geico, Nationwide). However, even with bundling, their homeowners insurance was higher than most. So it was kind of a wash.
Contrary to popular belief, bundling does not necessary result in a saving over splitting auto and homeowner carriers. Couple years ago, after decades of bundling 3 policies through Nationwide, the best quote by far was to go with GEICO for auto and umbrella, and Farmers for homeowners. So when you get quotes, I suggest you price auto & homeowner separate, and then also get a price for the 2 bundled.
midareff

Post by midareff »

edited to add: bundling sometimes provides additional saving if you are insuring home.
absolutely right, call around. After 45+ years with Liberty Mutual I switched to Geico when they were 1/3 as much. Shame on me for now quoting around earlier.
Topic Author
xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 »

Thank you all for your help. I think I am starting to see a pattern emerge here with these insurance companies.
Through talking to each other on this forum, I see that we have managed to tip their hands a bit, no?... :D
denovo

Post by denovo »

xerxes101 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:50 pm Thank you all for your help. I think I am starting to see a pattern emerge here with these insurance companies.
Through talking to each other on this forum, I see that we have managed to tip their hands a bit, no?... :D

Yes tl;dr must shop around every 1-2 years.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

Thanks to this thread, I will shop around when I renew my policy. But for my daughter, we called and AAA didn’t budge. She went with GEICO instead.
Dilbydog

Post by Dilbydog »

Had USAA (auto,renters,umb) for over 17 years, last increase caught me off guard. Called around and GIECO (auto and umb) were less than half of what I was currently paying. Two drivers clean records. I kick myself for not shopping around sooner.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

We have been with AAA for 4-years now. They continue to raise rates each year at least 10%. Up to this point, we have had a unique situation with a 3rd car on another policy that has made it hard to switch. That will be resolved shortly and we will be shopping around as well.