Electric Car (Nissan Leaf) for a teen driver?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
texasdiver

Electric Car (Nissan Leaf) for a teen driver?

Post by texasdiver » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:20 pm

Daughter #2 is about to earn her learners permit and I'll soon be having to think about what kind of car to get her. Our oldest daughter got her mother's hand-me-down 10-year old CR-V. But we don't have any cars ready to hand down at this point so we will need to find something for Daughter #2.

Her round-trip mileage to and from school will be about 10 miles per day. Maybe 12 if she swings by to drop her younger sister off at middle school. With after school lessons and such she might push 20 miles per day on some days but rarely more than that. A electric car seems like the perfect option for a teen driver. She can park it along side our garage right next to the meter so it should be easy to install a good charging station there.

I'm seeing lots of 2011-2014 Leafs for sale around here (Portland area) for $5-8 grand. I think they are lease resales. I'm thinking this would be a good option for a HS driver. She can plug it in every night and never have to worry about gas money. The leaf seems like a reasonably safe and modern vehicle for a daughter to use for scooting around the suburbs. And the limited driving range will function to clip her wings a bit. He he. If she ever needs to make a long drive she can always swap with mom or me.

The other options would be to look for something comparable like a Honda Fit or perhaps a used Prius. But I'm liking the idea of a full electric car for our family's 3rd car.

Thoughts?

tic

Re: Electric Car (Nissan Leaf) for a teen driver?

Post by tic » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:42 pm

dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:51 pm

For the kind of driving you are talking, Leaf would be just fine. If she was driving on highway, I would be concerned not on city streets.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:55 pm

I really like the idea of most families' second (or third car) being all-electric! Sounds like a great plan for a HS student.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:00 pm

dbltrbl wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:51 pm
For the kind of driving you are talking, Leaf would be just fine. If she was driving on highway, I would be concerned not on city streets.
No freeway driving at all in her daily routes. Just suburban driving around the cul de sacs and on wide suburban thoroughfares that have 30-45 mph type traffic.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:34 pm

Sounds like she would be an excellent candidate for one as she won't be able to drive far.

chessknt

Post by chessknt » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:34 pm

Get a used civic or camry. The leafs have issues with driver side safety which I would be very concerned with in a new driver. Their batteries are known to degrade and the car will be expensive to repair if mechanical issues arise. The drive and pick up of an electric car is different from a gas car which she should probably learn first. Finally she wont learn how to maintain a ice car (ie oil change intervals, coolant, timing belt, etc).

If you are dead set on a plug in look at a used gen 1 volt instead. It has an added bonus of being usable once she moves out too.

deikel

Post by deikel » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:30 pm

I had a Leaf for two years and I think your plan is great.

No need for an extra charging station at all, normal power outlet is all you need for overnight charging and the guesstimated 20 miles a day, charge in no time anyway.

Just be aware that the car is no so great in winter conditions (absolutely would need winter tires), the heavy torque on the front wheels make ice driving a bit of an issue and the thing drives very 'sporty' - just like a go-cart. Your daughter will probably get the very wrong idea of driving after having a leaf for a while...just saying, he next combustion car will need a lot of horses to come close to the same drive feeling.

The idea of clipping the wings is great, cool comeback on range anxiety !
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immidiatly and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:59 pm

deikel wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:30 pm

No need for an extra charging station at all, normal power outlet is all you need for overnight charging and the guesstimated 20 miles a day, charge in no time anyway.

Just be aware that the car is no so great in winter conditions (absolutely would need winter tires), the heavy torque on the front wheels make ice driving a bit of an issue and the thing drives very 'sporty' - just like a go-cart. Your daughter will probably get the very wrong idea of driving after having a leaf for a while...just saying, he next combustion car will need a lot of horses to come close to the same drive feeling.

Thanks for the heads up.

This daughter is our quirky artistic studious one who is really ambivalent about driving and who doesn't much care about what kind of car but likes the green idea of an electric car. She'll likely be a super safe and careful driver so I'm not much worried. She'll be the rare teen who puts her phone in the trunk to avoid the temptation. She would be fine without a car but I'm getting sick of running her and her younger sister around and we don't have functional mass transit in this suburb other than Uber. So the car is really more for me, to free up my afternoons from chauffeur duty. Getting her a car will also free her up to find HS jobs which is also something we want to encourage.

Daughter #1 was a socialite speed demon who's always on her phone or running around with friends. Her driving scared me to death and still does, although she's now 20 and has survived 4 years of driving so far.

rj49

Post by rj49 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:03 pm

I would be concerned about a teen forgetting to charge a car sufficiently and ending up with an empty battery and stranded somewhere. My teen nieces neglect to charge their phones diligently and are always on empty at inopportune times, and I remember as a teen I had to be rescued on occasion when I ran out of gas.

The other fear I'd have is of the quick acceleration of electric cars, which might elevate the risk of accidents for someone not used to driving or for getting tickets. I find that I prefer the lower power of a Corolla since it doesn't 'take off' on me and tempt me into speeding. Inattentive teens are also riskier in an electric car because pedestrians can't hear them and get out of the way of a distracted driver.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:16 pm

Sounds OK to me. Yeah, I see the safety report. Kinda have to balance that against other concerns, it doesn't seem like a complete dealbreaker to me.

Have you discussed this with her? Does she like the idea or dislike it?

I assume she'll have a cell phone and can call you if she gets stranded.

The main "fear" I have is silly but practical. Exactly how is she going to "just plug it in?" Via a long extension cord? Where, exactly, does she live? With you? Is it absolutely certain that she can park every night within easy extension-cord distance of an outlet? Do you have a garage with an outlet in it? An exterior outlet on your house? Any risk of casual just-for-fun vandalism of the cord?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:46 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:16 pm
Sounds OK to me. Yeah, I see the safety report. Kinda have to balance that against other concerns, it doesn't seem like a complete dealbreaker to me.

Have you discussed this with her? Does she like the idea or dislike it?

I assume she'll have a cell phone and can call you if she gets stranded.

The main "fear" I have is silly but practical. Exactly how is she going to "just plug it in?" Via a long extension cord? Where, exactly, does she live? With you? Is it absolutely certain that she can park every night within easy extension-cord distance of an outlet? Do you have a garage with an outlet in it? An exterior outlet on your house? Any risk of casual just-for-fun vandalism of the cord?
Suburban house. We have a parking spot right along side the garage that already has an ordinary outdoor 20 Amp outlet on the wall. So she would have her own private parking spot with a plug and wouldn't need more than an 8 ft extension.. If we needed more than an ordinary 120 volt 20 amp outlet then it is the exterior garage wall where the meter is located and the main circuit box directly inside so probably the easiest location on the house to install a higher voltage charging station if that was necessary. I'm thinking that for overnight charging what we have is fine.

If she forgets to charge her car overnight she'll just have to ride the school bus. She'll learn. If anything she is our most responsible child.

2comma

Post by 2comma » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:32 pm

I think you've found a good option. I have a friend with a Leaf and he's been using a 120V charger. He recently changed jobs so has to drive further and he's right at the edge of not having enough charge at the end of the week. I think you daughter should be fine with her mileage and will quickly figure out what here range is.
If I am stupid I will pay.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:11 am

The battery in Leaf's changed about March of 2013 and the batteries after that date have proven to be significantly better. The date of manufacture is on the door. A late 2013 is a safe bet and there are lots of them off lease.

If you want to get fancy, you can buy an app called LeafSpy Pro and a little meter (OBD II) that plugs under the dash that reads the battery and reports on its state of health. Otherwise, just look for one that still has twelve bars or at least 11.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:13 am

You should test drive one first before even mentioning the possibility to her. They do take off like a rocket.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:29 pm

WhyNotUs wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:11 am
The battery in Leaf's changed about March of 2013 and the batteries after that date have proven to be significantly better. The date of manufacture is on the door. A late 2013 is a safe bet and there are lots of them off lease.

If you want to get fancy, you can buy an app called LeafSpy Pro and a little meter (OBD II) that plugs under the dash that reads the battery and reports on its state of health. Otherwise, just look for one that still has twelve bars or at least 11.
texasdiver says the round trip to school is ten miles. That would seem to leave a nice fat margin of safety.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:41 pm

deikel wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:30 pm

Interesting info on the snow and ice driving. But it occurs to me that we live in a district that has lots of higher elevation hilly areas and the schools tend to close when there is ice on the road anywhere. So for those few days per year when we get ice storms or slippery roads they don’t let the kids drive anyway. Worst case scenario if schools are open and the roads are questionable she can always take the school bus which chain up when it gets bad.

Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:36 pm

chessknt wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:34 pm
Finally she wont learn how to maintain a ice car (ie oil change intervals, coolant, timing belt, etc).
This statement is going to sound increasingly anachronistic with each passing year, as ICE vehicles become more and more obsolete. Oil changes, coolants, timing belts are not the way of the future. You’d do well to get your daughter started early on what is rapidly becoming the new paradigm.

A raving bipolar lunatic visionary recently said that soon, “driving a gasoline car is going to feel like a steam engine with a side of quiche.”
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -musk-fast

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:00 pm

Dendritic Tree wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:36 pm
chessknt wrote:
Finally she wont learn how to maintain a ice car (ie oil change intervals, coolant, timing belt, etc).
This statement is going to sound increasingly anachronistic with each passing year, as ICE vehicles become more and more obsolete. Oil changes, coolants, timing belts are not the way of the future. You’d do well to get your daughter started early on what is rapidly becoming the new paradigm.

A raving bipolar lunatic visionary recently said that soon, “driving a gasoline car is going to feel like a steam engine with a side of quiche.”
The statement is anachronistic today and probably has been for 10+ years. You go in for service when the light on the dash board goes on:) Actually doing maintenance is probably more like 30 years. That being said that Tesla roadster is beyond vaporware. Let wait til it ships.

As far as accelerating like a rocket, that is a good thing right? Rockets tend to accelerate slowly and take a long, long time to hit top speeds. Seriouslu go look at a saturn V launch and the thing almost appears to sit on the pad for a couple seconds before moving:) The acceleration curve of EVs is slightly different but it isn't some insane thing like you are giving her a Tesla P100D. She will be fine.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:39 pm

FWIW, my Leaf is great in the snow. I live at high altitude with lots of snow and have Blizzaks on it and it is a snowdog.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:48 am

Used Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla.. . just in case.
Can't bring a gallon gas can to help a stranded Leaf.. . or jump start it.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:21 am

texasdiver wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:20 pm
Daughter #2 is about to earn her learners permit and I'll soon be having to think about what kind of car to get her. Our oldest daughter got her mother's hand-me-down 10-year old CR-V. But we don't have any cars ready to hand down at this point so we will need to find something for Daughter #2.

Her round-trip mileage to and from school will be about 10 miles per day. Maybe 12 if she swings by to drop her younger sister off at middle school. With after school lessons and such she might push 20 miles per day on some days but rarely more than that. A electric car seems like the perfect option for a teen driver. She can park it along side our garage right next to the meter so it should be easy to install a good charging station there.

I'm seeing lots of 2011-2014 Leafs for sale around here (Portland area) for $5-8 grand. I think they are lease resales. I'm thinking this would be a good option for a HS driver. She can plug it in every night and never have to worry about gas money. The leaf seems like a reasonably safe and modern vehicle for a daughter to use for scooting around the suburbs. And the limited driving range will function to clip her wings a bit. He he. If she ever needs to make a long drive she can always swap with mom or me.

The other options would be to look for something comparable like a Honda Fit or perhaps a used Prius. But I'm liking the idea of a full electric car for our family's 3rd car.

Thoughts?
I wish I could say "yes, go for it".

You know where I am on the Great Barrier Reef (and causation), I think. I am probably more pro electric car than anyone I know (as a concept). And, I believe that within 25 years we will not be allowed to drive anything else (unless perhaps fuel cell, compressed air etc.).

Nonetheless safety concerns would give me pause. Total mileage will be low, so the harm of a petrol engined car is less. Less say that 1 flight to Europe p.a.

As per other suggestions, I would suggest a used Camry. Accord or other compact car (by US standards).

The moment for an EV is just not yet.

Plymouth56

Post by Plymouth56 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:01 pm

As the owner of a 2015 Leaf I would say go for it!
"Rocket"acceleration if a concern can be calmed by driving in eco mode.
I drive in Minnesota and my Leaf does fine on snow and ice .
In fact weight distribution is better on a Leaf than many ice cars.
I drive 26 miles a day , plug in to a 110 outlet at night and have never have had an issue .
A comment about your daughter having to "re learn" to drive a ice car is hogwash.
If she forgets to charge her Leaf and the battery runs low?
Its not a instantaneous dead car and worse case you get it towed.
She will have warning,and I doubt it would be an issue given how far she drives.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:26 pm

Maybe something a little bigger?
Prius lls.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

Pdxnative

Post by Pdxnative » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:45 pm

Great car for teen driver. Check out platt auto in Gladstone. Large inventory of these and they know the differences between model years. Concerns about battery life in the pre 2014 models are worth being aware of. It may be fine for you, but will affect resale. Remember that age matters more than mileage in these cars, as batteries will inevitably degrade with age.

A good forum for leafs: http://mynissanleaf.com/

chessknt

Post by chessknt » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:04 pm

Dendritic Tree wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:36 pm
chessknt wrote:

The oil boom argues otherwise. We will have cheap oil for many years to come and the financial math of electric cars doesn't add up especially if the tax breaks disappear. If you're doing it for environmental reasons then that is different but the masses that are still looking for the best value are looking at ice.

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:54 am

Bad idea. Your teen won't have anywhere to charge it when they go away to college. And you dont know how farcollege will be away. Teens typically only drive 7,000 miles or so a year : You will not save enough on gas to make up for the high purchase price and insurance costs for a more expensive car. Better to get a low mileage fuel efficient car such as a Honda Fit or Civic

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:33 pm

3feetpete wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:54 am
Bad idea. Your teen won't have anywhere to charge it when they go away to college. And you dont know how farcollege will be away. Teens typically only drive 7,000 miles or so a year : You will not save enough on gas to make up for the high purchase price and insurance costs for a more expensive car. Better to get a low mileage fuel efficient car such as a Honda Fit or Civic
No, the car will stay home and be handed down to her younger sister. I'm basically intending to keep it as our family's 3rd car for teen use. There is a 3rd daughter 3 years younger waiting in the wings.

When daughter #2 goes off to college we'll evaluate her new transportation needs at that time. If she winds up doing something like going to UW in Seattle it would be unlikely that we'd even send her to college with a car at all. She can take the train to school and use public transit and bikes. If she goes off to some more rural long distance college then we'd put her into an economical long distance road trip car like a Honda Fit or something.

danaht

Post by danaht » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:23 pm

My team member at work had a Nissan Leaf from around 2012. He said it had problems keeping a charge after a couple years of ownership. I think you would be better off getting a used cheap regular gas car.

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:52 pm

So if each daughter drives it for 2 years at 7,000 miles per year they will have combined to put only 42,000 miles on the car. Assuming a gasoline car would have averaged 25 mpg that would be 1,680 gal of gas at $2.50/gal that would almount to $4,200 in gas. So getting an electric car would save 4,200 in gas plus maybe 9 oil changes. however electric isn't free and my guess is if you analyze the difference in purchase price and insurance of the more expensive car you won't have saved anything . Plus with the electric car you will have the worry of them not managing the charging of the batteries and running the battery down when they are out at night . Be prepared to give them your other car frequently. The economics don't justify the inconvenience of an electric car to me.

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:19 pm

I just looked up the MSRP of the Leaf 32k Your insurance on that with a teen driver will be astronomical

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:40 pm

3feetpete wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:19 pm
I just looked up the MSRP of the Leaf 32k Your insurance on that with a teen driver will be astronomical
Used ones are all over the place around here for around $8k

I'd never buy a new car for a teen.

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:07 pm

Wow I didn't realize they depreciated that much. Buying a used Leaf certainly changes the economics but I don't know how you would factor in the battery fade issue and how many years or miles you should get before the batteries need replacement. Have you researched the longevity of the Leaf batteries? Maybe you should start a thread on that and see what experience members have had with them. If you buy a leaf that is a couple of years old and try to use it for 8 years or so as your daughters progress through high school, you would be looking at 10 year old batteries. That may be beyond their useful life.

Regardless of the economics I still don't think it is a good idea to set up a teenage girl where she has to manage battery usage and charging when the failure to do so means she might break down somewhere that isn't safe. It's a lot easier with a gasoline car when there is usually a gas station nearby.

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:49 pm

Wife and I do a lot of suburban city walking. I sure don't like teenagers driving a car I can't hear coming.
JW
Retired at Last

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:50 pm

3feetpete wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:07 pm
Wow I didn't realize they depreciated that much. Buying a used Leaf certainly changes the economics but I don't know how you would factor in the battery fade issue and how many years or miles you should get before the batteries need replacement. Have you researched the longevity of the Leaf batteries? Maybe you should start a thread on that and see what experience members have had with them. If you buy a leaf that is a couple of years old and try to use it for 8 years or so as your daughters progress through high school, you would be looking at 10 year old batteries. That may be beyond their useful life.

Regardless of the economics I still don't think it is a good idea to set up a teenage girl where she has to manage battery usage and charging when the failure to do so means she might break down somewhere that isn't safe. It's a lot easier with a gasoline car when there is usually a gas station nearby.

They don’t really depreciated that’s much. That 30k car you referenced? No one pays that. With the incentives and electric car rebates it’s more like 20k give or take. So depreciation walks down from that starting point.

As for charging stations? Judging from the plug share web site there are about 50 public charging stations within 10 miles or so of our house. I don’t see it as an issue. If she is ever taking an out of town trip for any reason she can always swap cars with my wife or me.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:59 pm

texasdiver wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:50 pm
3feetpete wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:07 pm

They don’t really depreciated that’s much. That 30k car you referenced? No one pays that. With the incentives and electric car rebates it’s more like 20k give or take. So depreciation walks down from that starting point.

As for charging stations? Judging from the plug share web site there are about 50 public charging stations within 10 miles or so of our house. I don’t see it as an issue. If she is ever taking an out of town trip for any reason she can always swap cars with my wife or me.
+1
In my hood, a 32k MSRP leaf is a 27900 car -7500 for the tax incentive. So you are paying 20400 for that car that will be worth 8-10k in 4 years. Live in a state with a 3-5k tax credit and you are paying 15-17k for car that will be worth 8-10k in 3 years. That is pretty low depreciation.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:22 pm

texasdiver wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:50 pm
Are the charging stations at places that are reasonable for you to charge a car? If so, great, if not, then they don't really help you. I have seen them recently. One at a local mall as I dropped off my teenager and his friend with one A3 hooking up (or attempting....they seemed to be having a lot of trouble) and one outside a restaurant complex nearby that I notice the local police always park their ICE cruiser at. A local Cisco has several chargers. They are certainly starting to show up in more places.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Hulu

Post by Hulu » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:06 am

Just bought a plug-in hybrid Pacifica and love it. Maybe get one of those? I had concerns about the weight of the Leaf in case of collision. If you're good with the safety it's an awesome car according to a pretty credible source:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/the-niss ... xperiment/

Good job on raising a responsible child!

abonder

Post by abonder » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:23 am

I still think it’s a cool idea for a third family car primarily for teen drivers staying locally. I don’t know the safety stats but have no reason to believe muchbfofferent from other similarly sized vehicles. I agree that depreciation is less severe when to account for fact that nobody pays near MSRP, but I think you still do pretty well buying used. I know you won’t save that much money on gas, but you are getting a newish car with decent reliability (per CR) for a low price. I also think brand new car for teen driver is unnecessary and I’ll-Advised, but my little ones aware years from driving so I haven’t crossed that bridge.

just frank

Post by just frank » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:12 am

My 17 yo daughter is learning to drive on our leased LEAF, which is mom's daily driver, and she is sad that the car is about to get returned at end of lease. She's an EV native and, unsurprisingly, rolls her eyes when she has to drive a stinky gas-wagon.

If we needed a third car (mom just got a Bolt), we would get a older LEAF just like you plan to.

Having looked at the safety...the gen 1 LEAFs are great. I would say that they test safer than 80% of cars made before 2010...so better than getting a compact **beater**, a possible alternative.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:50 am

Be careful of fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) from non EV owners in the replies.

1. Safety
Its a small hatchback. Crash tests are comparable with other small hatch backs like a Honda Fit
2. Power
0-60 is 10 second. Last I checked, Corolla is around 9 seconds and Civic is into the 8's. There is an ECO button that decreases the throttle mapping that makes the pedal less sensitive to input. It'll still allow full acceleration if you floor it.
3. Snow
It's a FWD car and it will perform about the same as other FWD in snow: not that well. There is an ECO button that will decrease throttle response so you don't slip in snow. I always drive with that button enabled to increase range.
4.Range
Assume 2011-2012 models have decreased battery capacity from the 73 miles when new to 50. That will still more than enough to cover two days for your daughter. You can be sure if she forgets to charge one night and sees 30 miles remaining in the morning, she will remember for the next day. Charge time is 3-4 miles an hour on ordinary 110v or 5-6 hours for your daughters usage. The higher trim models includes an app that will remind you to plug in if you forget.
5. Breakdowns
All cars break down even gasoline cars. Yes a gallon of gas won't save an EV out of charge. What will you do if the brakes fail in a gas car? In a Leaf, you have regenerative braking so that the brakes may last longer and less likely to obey great. I have 140,000 miles in my Prius plug in and have never replaced the brakes. There's maintenances and repairs in a gas car that doesn't exist in an EV. I never have to repair the starter or alternator. My car doesn't have either.
6. Insurance
Again, is about comparable to other vehicles in it's class.
7. Economics
In my state of California, electricity costs as much as gasoline. There is no savings driving electricity unless I install solar. I didn't buy the car to save money. I bought the car to never have to waste time going to gas stations. Takes me fewer seconds to plug in and unplug than minutes to turn off into a gas station.

I love the idea of clipping her wings. The first thing my 18 year old brother did was drive 500 miles to Las Vegas when he got his car. My sister has a Volt and a Leaf in her home She didn't install anything and charges using 110v. Neither did I.

GottaRun

Post by GottaRun » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:52 am

a good friend of mine is engineering director of a municipality in the colorado front range. The city owns and operates a small fleet (3-4) Nissan Leaf's which the city staff take out to projects, run errands, attend meetings.

My buddy said they are great and he's really impressed with them. He's a farm/ranch kid from rural north dakota.....he's converted! Bottom line, I was surprised he was so positive towards the EV.

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:00 pm

awesome idea!

the BMW i3 would also be a great buy but they are a bit more on the used market.

The upside is that most have active rear ending accident avoidance.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:28 pm

EVs are great for commuters with a short fixed route and the possibility of recharge overnight.

I'd get an older ICE vehicle for a teen, eg. a 10 year old Honda Accord or Civic. Or a Prius, they are reliable and have excellent fuel economy.