Replace TVs with Smart Tvs or not?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
AKBTX14

Replace TVs with Smart Tvs or not?

Post by AKBTX14 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:24 pm

Looking for some advice.

We have 2 large Plasma Tvs that work just fine, but they are not smart TVs. Right now we have dish/dvr to watch TV (plan to get rid of that as well perhaps). We are just casual TV watchers (Less than 2 hours daily except for 1 weekly shows that gets recorded). Netflix is the only streaming service we have and we tablets for that.

TVs sizes are large enough for us and we are very happy with the picture quality.

I am thinking to get a streaming device instead of replacing TVs during the sales this month.

What is a better route in your opinion? Would I be missing anything if we do not go the smart Tv route?

Regards

DSInvestor

Re: Replace TVs with Smart Tvs or not?

Post by DSInvestor » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:35 pm

If you like your plasma TVs, I suggest going with a streaming device. A roku device would allow you to watch netflix on your TVs. If you're an Amazon Prime subscriber, you can watch Amazon prime videos for free on the Roku as well. Apple TV does not yet support Amazon Instant Video.
Last edited by DSInvestor on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:35 pm

The notion of smart tv has essentially died, and it has been replaced by the home media hubs represented by google, Apple, Roku, and others. You’d be wasting your money to upgrade. Btw, plasma is still fantastic technology, which mainly lost out to the convenience of LCD. Buy an Apple TV or something similar and you’ll be fine.

PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:38 pm

AKBTX14 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:24 pm
Looking for some advice.

We have 2 large Plasma Tvs that work just fine, but they are not smart TVs. Right now we have dish/dvr to watch TV (plan to get rid of that as well perhaps). We are just casual TV watchers (Less than 2 hours daily except for 1 weekly shows that gets recorded). Netflix is the only streaming service we have and we tablets for that.

TVs sizes are large enough for us and we are very happy with the picture quality.

I am thinking to get a streaming device instead of replacing TVs during the sales this month.

What is a better route in your opinion? Would I be missing anything if we do not go the smart Tv route?

Regards
What are you thoughts on why you want to buy and use a streaming device? I think that will help us help you decide.

Personally, my newest TV is a "Smart"TV, but I never, ever use the Smart features. The only app it has on it that I might ever use is the Netflix app. But I actually gave up my subscription for that for lack of use. I do own and use my AppleTV device daily with that TV. I like the AppleTV since I'm fully set up with all the Apple iCloud services and this brings iCloud to my TV.

But if you're main goal is to have Netflix on the TVs, then one of many different streaming devices is probably cheaper than buying a new SmartTV.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:44 pm

As already satated - Rather than replace the Tv's you can make them smart by attaching a Roku (or similar) device to each tv - a far cheaper option (avoid apple tv- far more expensive than other solutions - personally I'm a Roku fan).

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:48 pm

+1 for adding streaming device(s) to your current tv(s)

I have had a couple of Rokus for a few years. Love them.

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:53 pm

Both smart TVs and streaming boxes quickly become obsolete. Better to replace a $70 streaming device every few years than an $899 TV.

AKBTX14

Post by AKBTX14 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:57 pm

I think we pay $100/mo for dish for very little TV time (however DVR recording is mostly for one show Empire for DW, I mostly watch CBS and local news). Therefore we have been thinking to cut dish for a while.

I am thinking towards Roku, Hulu was also recommended to me. We are solely Android based family (No Apple).

Thanks

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:11 pm

The short answer, get a streamer.

Like you, I'm a plasma fan (well, actually it's my backup - my main are a LCoS projector and a DLP pj). I did not find Smart TV as smart. Our daughter just got a used plasma last month, connecting to a Roku.

My plasma is connecting to both an Android box and an older Apple TV. Like you, I do not watch much TV, other than live sports programs. So I'm not your typical viewer either.

If you do upgrade, avoid LCD/LED backlit TV's. OLED is getting to be reasonable; LG is pushing their 55" 4K HDR for $1,499 during Black Friday. Bear in mind that OLED has issues with motion judder, which would not work for a sports fan like me.

denovo

Post by denovo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:13 pm

Just get a chromecast.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:54 pm

FedGuy wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:53 pm
Both smart TVs and streaming boxes quickly become obsolete. Better to replace a $70 streaming device every few years than an $899 TV.
+1. Buy a new streaming device and plug it into one's existing TV versus tossing the entire TV.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:06 pm

We have had ROKU for years now and been very happy with it. Now on a ROKU 3 I think. Connects to wireless WAP which backhauls via powerline to our router.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:13 pm

I've got a Samsung Smart TV in the living room. Also happen to have a Chromecast and 4K Blu Ray player attached to it that can both stream.

Honestly the Blu Ray player does a better job of streaming than the TV itself because it seems to have a better WiFi connection to our network. The Chromecast works fine but is a bit clunkier because I have to find my phone or iPad in order to control it so it takes a bit longer to get on Amazon or Netflix but also works just fine.

What the smart TV does nicely is give you a slick interface to hop between cable and streaming services with just one simple remote. Other than that, there isn't much there to get excited about.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:22 pm

There is no advantage to a smart tv over a streaming device providing you have HDMI input(s) on your TV. As a matter of fact, any brand of smart tv will limit you more than having the entire universe of streaming devices available to you.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Post by 123 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:33 pm

We got a 4K Smart TV when our plasma passed away. We use it with a cable box and also with the built-in Netflix and Amazon apps. We have found that the smart TV is more cumbersome to use then the Blu-ray player we used previously to get Netflix and Amazon programming. The Smart TV seems to update a lot more which is an annoyance.

While we really enjoy the 4K streaming from Netflix and Amazon if I had it to do over I would probably just get a "dumb" HDTV and use it with a Blu-ray box (or another streaming device). My spouse is particularly aggravated with the way the Smart TV interface user works, it doesn't really bother me. You know the saying "Happy wife, happy life", well mine could be happier in this regard.

If you're happy with your plasma I would suggest getting a Smart TV/steaming device like a Roku, etc. They're mostly less then $100.

I wouldn't mind if Smart TV would get a little smarter.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:38 pm

As others have said, get a Roku (3 or newer) or an Apple TV (4th or 5th gen). The Apple TV makes sense if you are in the Apple ecosystem, otherwise the Roku is a bit cheaper. We have a 4th gen Apple TV in the kitchen, and our 4K TV has Roku built-in. Both work very well with all the streaming services, including our in-home Plex Media Server.

The newer Apple TV models are a bit faster and more responsive than the Roku models, and if you're interested in games, the Apple TV offers the benefit of playing a lot of your iOS games on your TV. The Roku models are a bit cheaper, and in our case it is built into the TV. It streams 4K programming from Netflix and Amazon beautifully. (We have gigabit internet service.)

We also have an older Apple TV 3rd gen (no real app store, but I can AirPlay to it from my iPad when I'm on the treadmill). We used to have a Roku 3 XS (grandma is using it now) and an older Roku 2 (too slow). We also had a Chromecast. The Chromecast was little better than a toy, and I gave it away. I don't recommend a Chromecast.

Other than the built-in Roku software in our TV, most of the smart TV software I've seen is subpar. Apple and Roku do a much better job with the interface and their app stores. (And unfortunately, none of the high-end TV's use Roku software.)

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:52 pm

Or just get a cheap blu ray player. Even one used. As long as it can do NetFlix.

That's what we stream on our non-smart TVs with. We just happened to need a few DVDs players a few years ago. Made sure to get "smart" ones. They were maybe $30/each brand new from Walmart. Samsung. Work perfect and stream fine.

student

Post by student » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:59 pm

Hang on to your plasma tv. They give better blacks and you cannot buy them anymore.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:06 pm

A Smart bluray player will also give you the same functionality at far less cost than replacing the TV. However, on both smart bluray players and smart TV's, the designers are thinking about the hardware first and the interface for the smart features second. The shopper's priority is a TV that looks good and a blurary player that boots up fast and plays discs without hassle.

For a streaming device, the smart feature interface is the core user experience aspect of the product. They have to get it right.

So I'll add another vote for streaming device like a Roku.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:16 pm

I also have a plasma TV and really like it. I added a Sony Blu-ray player to stream and it works great.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:27 pm

Add the latest Fire TV box to each for $69.95 each.

Keep the TVs.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

2comma

Post by 2comma » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:18 pm

I didn't pay much of a premium for the smart feature in our two modestly priced flat screen TV's but I never use it, I use the Roku. I think it's a lot more likely that Roku will keep up with new providers than TV vendors will in the future. The Samsung smart features are rather slow when I was playing with it. We have a Visio in the bedroom and the smart features work much faster. We've cut the cord, rarely watch TV, I just turn on a show from Netflix about WW!! to sleep. Personally I'd get the Roku and keep what ya got.
If I am stupid I will pay.

deikel

Post by deikel » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:43 pm

I don't think there is anything smart about TVs, so I cut the cord 7 years ago and still have my 10 yr old TV - I would not replace it if it would fail tomorrow.

At two hours watching a day you are not a casual TV user in my mind, you are heavily using your two TV screens

Are you getting actual value out of that experience ? And what exactly would the smart TV add in value to that to justify its expense ? Only you can answer that, but your post sounds to me like you just want the latest gadget regardless...and there is nothing wrong about that, but the excitement of the new will probably wear off pretty fast...
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immidiatly and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:30 am

AKBTX14 wrote:
Looking for some advice.

Regards
Have a Samsung Smart plasma. Seems they put VERY little effort into maintaining their app base and certain ones have actually disappeared. If all you want is smart functionality the external boxes are likely better than any integrated Smart apps. The voice control and gestures and stuff is a total waste of time.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

simmias

Post by simmias » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:23 am

deikel wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:43 pm
At two hours watching a day you are not a casual TV user in my mind, you are heavily using your two TV screens
Multiple studies have shown that the average American watches five hours of TV a day. I'd say that makes his two hours pretty casual in comparison.

OP, I echo the majority of the thread in recommending a Roku. There should be decent deals on them for BF as well. I have two of the new Roku 3s and I love them.

loves2read

Post by loves2read » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:46 am

blaugranamd wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:30 am
AKBTX14 wrote:
Looking for some advice.

We have 2 large Plasma Tvs that work just fine, but they are not smart TVs. Right now we have dish/dvr to watch TV (plan to get rid of that as well perhaps). We are just casual TV watchers...
Have a Samsung Smart plasma. Seems they put VERY little effort into maintaining their app base and certain ones have actually disappeared. If all you want is smart functionality the external boxes are likely better than any integrated Smart apps. The voice control and gestures and stuff is a total waste of time.
I have several flat screens--a couple of plasma ones (still doing well)--recently bought a 65" 4K when our main tv which was about 10 yrs old started pixelating like the night sky...
We watch lot of TV in various formats--live sports, news programs, regular cable and streaming sources--

We use Roku sticks which are wifi ready for smaller TVs, one tv has stream capability built in (use that in guest room upstairs)
I love Roku sticks--bought one for my sister to use and programmed it for apps for services I have like Acorn TV and Netflix and some others because she lives in fringe area north of San Antonio--has OTA antenna and can't really afford much more.

The issue with using a streaming device is your wifi/internet strength for downloading a quality picture
So you have to have service that provides that...

I have also had TV or DVD players w/smart features where the mfg after couple of years didn't want to upgrade the software of THEIR product to match upgrades on the streaming channels...
Sony has been bad about that on their DVDs we had and Samsung has done that to us as well (YouTube channel on one Samsung model)...

Some televisions have clunky nexus for their streaming capability or remotes--Vizio gets knocked for that--offset to lower prices/decent viewing quality--but it isn't the only one
It can take lot longer for those machines to access, load, and be ready to stream what you want to watch than some other product...

I fund Roku sticks are usually very quick/responsive--
The remote for the USB stick MIGHT be the weak point because some of them have tendency to lose connection with the stick and you have to try various options to reconnect--a true PITA...
And a remote replacement is n to worth the money--just buy a new stick...
Have Apple iPad and phones but no Apple TV

Have Amazon Prime and it is offering not just its programming paid or free with Prime membership but also is a nexus for tying into other subscription platforms like Acorn TV, Showtime, etc...

We are watching Poldark (PBS Masterpiece) now--via Amazon to catch up on past seasons--via our 4K DVD player and have good visuals--
There are promotional specials that streaming services offer that people take advantage of to watch special programs
And frankly there are lot of people sharing signin coding for some services...
HBO has lot of that apparently which led to the decision to offer JUST a streaming option to pay for
I think this is wave of future
On my ATT UVerse cable there are some channels that don't have ON DEMAND feature--like PBS/Masterpiece
So if we miss an episode of Endeavor or Polldark (which we didn't even know we liked when S3 started) we don't have many options for seeing past programs...

For Roku if you get one of the wifi ready sticks you can take it with you and even use it when you travel if you have wifi network that allows it--some hotels cut bandwidth for streaming because they want you to pay for their streaming options

AKBTX14

Post by AKBTX14 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:56 am

Thanks for excellent suggestions. Here is my setup.

TV1
Main TV and it runs for an hour, local CBS news during coffee/breakfast before leaving to work. Then an hour or so in the evening.
It has a dumb home theater connected to it; although I do not remember when we used it last time (took out the remote batteries middle of this year).

TV2
No one watches live TV on it. :oops:
97% use is for PS4 (PS1 (still got two of them), PS2, Xbox1, Xbox360, Game Cube, Wii (I know lots of HDMIs and a HDMI switch :x ). 2% use is Netflix. It is connected to a smart Sony BR DVD player (No one uses it anymore). 1% use is for Redbox.

Wi-Fi in the home is 150mbps and I have 3 Wi-Fi extenders. I think I get about 60 mbps in the remotest location.

Roku has many different options and I checked the website and its BF sales begin on Nov 23.

Any particular Roku?

Regards

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:07 pm

AKBTX14 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:56 am
Roku has many different options and I checked the website and its BF sales begin on Nov 23.

Any particular Roku?
With no need for 4K, I would simply buy the new Roku Streaming Stick (model 3800).

Another option would be the 2016 Roku Streaming Stick (model 3600) for a small discount. It will probably be a little slower. I like the look of the slightly bigger Play/Pause button on the new model, although I have not used it yet. My one complaint with my Roku 3 is that the remote buttons are difficult to differentiate in the dark. There are two buttons of rows that are exactly the same size. One row is Rewind, Play/Pause, Fast Forward directly below Voice Search, OK, and the Options button. The 2016 model fixes this by moving the OK button up and making Play/Pause the only button directly in the middle. The new remote goes a step further and makes Play/Pause bigger.

Another option would be the new Roku Express (model 3900). It will only have a regular IR remote that has to be pointed at the Roku to work instead of the RF remote with the Roku Streaming Stick. It also does not have voice search, which is included on the Streaming Stick; I think it's pretty useful.

harrington

Post by harrington » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:59 pm

I love my two Plasma TV's and would never get a new TV just because it is a smart TV. Buy a Roku or a smart DVD player which can be purchased for $100 or less.

wish

Post by wish » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:14 pm

We got a Samsung smart TV last year.....used the "smart" option for a few weeks, then went back to Roku and then to a chromebox. Either of the latter are faster ...

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:59 pm

I think it’s pretty hard to even find a dumb TV anymore.

Like others have said, the smartness in smart TV’s is implemented better in Roku, FireTV, Chromecase, and AppleTV. If that’s the only reason you’re considering a smart TV, then get a streaming device.

One reason you might want a new TV, however, is power usage. Plasma TV’s are power hogs. New TV’s are much better about power consumption.

annielouise

Post by annielouise » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:30 pm

We are just like you for TV ownership (except we watch a bit more TV). First got a Chromecast but were never really happy with it. Got a Roku 3600R for our 2nd TV and really liked it. Just got a Roku streaming stick ($50 right now at amazon, but we paid $40 a few weeks ago*) for the primary TV because we kept moving the 1st one back and forth.

* camelcamelcamel rocks, and black Friday deals are overrated.

seychellois_lib

Post by seychellois_lib » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:58 pm

I just purchased an inexpensive 55 inch TCL 4K LCD TV for $400. It is a so called smart TV but really amounts to a TV with Roku software on board. Very happy with this combo. Unlike some smart TVs, Roku provides software updates as required. This eliminates the need for the separate Roku box. I gave my redundant Roku to the kids. The other thing I like about this TV is the very simple Roku remote which runs the whole show. All TV adjustment is accomplished using the simple remote. Very nice IMO and there are no cables other than the power cable and an OTA antenna cable if one wishes to watch broadcast TV.

It is certainly not a high end TV but I have never been a hi end TV kind of guy. I think you pay 200% more money for 10% more capability.

What surprises me is Google, Amazon, et al have not followed Roku's lead and loaded Google Home, Alexa etc. on a TV product. That would be an excellent combo. All TV functions could, if one wished, be controlled by voice and the TV would replace the stand alone voice controlled devices currently on the market. Include a camera and software to enable a two way video stream which is voice commandable and Skype capable and you have a very interesting package IMO.

However, one thing I did not appreciate was the extent to which Roku monitors what you are watching/doing. The TOS are pretty interesting reading. I suppose the cable companies do the same.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:30 pm

I just dumped cable for antenna. I have an old SONY DLP in the rec room I just bought a new digital tuner/usb video for.

I watch most stuff on my computer with a large monitor. It also has a HDhomerun for watching broadcast.

Keep your old TV and buy accessories for it.

emoore

Post by emoore » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:35 pm

I’d go with roku, Apple TV, or fire tv. I’d avoid the sticks. Not enough processing power to have a trouble free experience. Go with the full size streaming devices.

deikel

Post by deikel » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:53 pm

simmias wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:23 am
deikel wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:43 pm
Multiple studies have shown that the average American watches five hours of TV a day. I'd say that makes his two hours pretty casual in comparison.

OP, I echo the majority of the thread in recommending a Roku. There should be decent deals on them for BF as well. I have two of the new Roku 3s and I love them.
Not questioning your point of data, but how is this even possible ? You work 8h a day, you sleep 8h a night - that only leaves 8 h for all the rest and 5 of them are actual TV watching (compared to just have it blare in the background ?) - not sure how people do that....if it just blares in the background you don't need a smart TV for that IMO....if it is serious watching for 5h....you don't need a smart TV either...too late.

And if 5h is the average...to compensate for me, someone would have to watch all the other awake time...amazing...scary actually....please tell me that statistic is skewed somehow.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immidiatly and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Streaming device is the way to go if you are otherwise happy with your TVs.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

Lonestarz

Post by Lonestarz » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:56 pm

Plasma TVs can use a lot of energy maybe big and heavy. Thin LED can be mounted on the wall. With limited usage it’s not cost-effective for the energy savings to replace.

My only complaint against Smart hubs is when you’re trying to search for the title to stream, it is hard typing letter by letter. I recommend something with a keyboard like a computer, but that is my preference. Smart hub and TV both share this weakness.

There are several Mac mini or equivalent windows PCs built for ‘media center’ service. Also useful when pulling up maps, family photos, or websites you want to share with a group.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:52 pm

Lonestarz wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:56 pm
My only complaint against Smart hubs is when you’re trying to search for the title to stream, it is hard typing letter by letter. I recommend something with a keyboard like a computer, but that is my preference. Smart hub and TV both share this weakness.
This is why on a Roku, I think voice search is worth the extra cost.

Bammerman

Post by Bammerman » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:20 pm

I "cut the cord" five or seven years ago and have been using successive generations of Apple TV's to stream content to my "dumb" lcd tv since then, very happily. Until last week I'd have echoed what nearly everyone here's been saying: never mind smart tv's, just get a (Roku, Apple TV, whatever) streaming device. But a week ago I bought a new LG OLED "smart" tv and have been using its "built-in" Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon video apps to stream content (mostly -- I still use my Apple TV for some content like PBS and my own photos and videos in the cloud). I have to say, the "built-in" apps work great, are fast, and make it possible to do all my tv watching with just the single "magic" remote that came with the new tv, without having to mess with changing inputs, etc. with my programmed Harmony remote. And the built-in apps stream in 4K, which my 3rd generation Apple tv can't. So just keep in mind that whether it's an external "smart streaming box" or a built-in app, this is just a way of collecting/presenting content on the tv screen. The quality of the picture on the tv screen is paramount. I can't say enough complimentary things about the picture on my OLED tv. It's just amazing. "Infinite" black is not an exaggeration. (Plasma users: don't believe me, go check it out for yourselves.) And the tv is much more energy efficient than my 10-year-old lcd tv -- I can put my hand on the back of the tv after an hour and it's cool. Yes, it was expensive, but the value is really there, imho. I will be spending a lot of time in front of this tv over the next decade, and I am willing to pay for the best experience I can afford.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:13 pm

Lonestarz wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:56 pm
Plasma TVs can use a lot of energy maybe big and heavy. Thin LED can be mounted on the wall. With limited usage it’s not cost-effective for the energy savings to replace.
The later models used only slightly more power than their LCD counterparts. My 51" plasma (which is wall-mounted) had a peak of ~150 Watts measured on a Kill-A-Watt meter. The average was more like 100 Watts. Per the FTC Energy guide standards, that's a $22 per year energy cost. I just looked up a brand new Samsung LED-backlit TV. It's listed $16 per year. That's for a fairly heavy use (5 hours a day). For the amount we watch, the difference in energy cost is more like $1/year.
True. Supposedly my TV can use a USB wireless keyboard. I've never tried that, but at one point I found a smartphone app that could control the TV over WiFi that included the ability to use a pop-up keyboard on the smartphone.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:48 pm

agree with the others. Get a streaming received and plug it in.

One thing that I noticed with the smart tv that we purchased ~4 years ago is that the built-in wireless receiver is just not very strong. Very difficult to pick up streaming directly into the TV, at least based on where our router is i the front of the house. Even with a booster mid-way, the TV streaming reception pixelates and freezes constantly. Don't forget that TV makers are not computer geeks, and since they have to cut costs somewhere, just don't expect to see a fast processor.

In contract, our $99 apple TV picks up the streaming connection just fine, even without the booster.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:49 am

AKBTX14 wrote:
Looking for some advice.

Regards
Hi AKBTX14 -

We purchased three new televisions over the past few years. I believe two were smart televisions and by the third purchase we knew better. The televisions are made by Samsung and overall they have worked well. The Smart TV was an unnecessary expense. We would watch Netflix and using the Smart TV was painful and slow.

At the end of the day, it was a waste as we connected Apple TVs to each television. Of course Netflix streams without problem from the Apple TV.

If using the Apple TV (or another device), in my opinion it is not needed.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

thangngo

Post by thangngo » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:36 am

AKBTX14 wrote:
Looking for some advice.

Regards
We don't even have a TV in our family.

You can save money by just keeping your current TV and buy streaming box (amazon, apple, google, etc.) to make it smart.

AKBTX14

Post by AKBTX14 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:50 am

Thanks all

Just orderd a Roku Streaming Stick+ RO3810R

https://www.roku.com/products/streaming-stick-plus

I was thinking to get Roku Ultra, but the price didn't drop.

The Streaming Stick+ will work as well. I do not have Ethernet wired in my home. WiFi is set to dual band and newer laptops get about 100 Mbps (that I forgot to remember).

Roku is going to be 15 feet away from WiFi router so it should get a decent Mbps (hopefully).

Happy Thanksgiving

danaht

Post by danaht » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:20 pm

I currently have a 5 year old 1080P 60" Visio LCD TV that works great with a Chromecast device. I am also not going to upgrading yet. I am waiting for OLED technology to become widely available in 60+" TVs. Hopefully this will happen in the next few years. Then I'll upgrade to OLED (and hopefully 4K) at the same time.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:04 pm

I think that it makes the most sense to look at a TV as basically just a simple monitor, an output device for a set of video signals with no intelligence other than to choose what video signal comes into it.

[Even audio should not go to the TV, but from the analog audio outputs of the cable box or whatever device that is the source of the video and audio content. And that analog audio signal should go to the audio amplifier directly. Audio from HDMI sounds less natural and kind of abrasive to me. Just my 2 cents for setting things up based on my experiments.]
Last edited by rgs92 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:15 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:04 pm
I think that it makes the most sense to look at a TV as basically just a simple monitor, an output device for a set of video signals with no intelligence other than to choose what video signal comes into it.
Even audio should not go to the TV, but from the analog audio outputs of the cable box or whatever device that is the source of the video and audio content.
We have a dumb flat panel. Everything from the cable box is piped through the coax cable. Everything from the ROKU is piped through the HDMI cable.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

grog

Post by grog » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:14 pm

Not entirely related but whenever I’m at someone’s house and they have a fancy TV, movies usually look terrible. Kind of like a cheap soap opera. Borderline unwatchable. It’s some sort of picture smoothing feature and it can probably be disabled, but it makes me want to cling to my no frills LCD.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:07 pm

If you just send video from the cable box to the TV by coax (and not by HDMI), it won't be in HD, FWIW.
If the reason for this is that there is only one HDMI input on the TV, you can get a little switching box to choose the HDMI source. They are on Amazon and elsewhere. Good luck.

As far a fancy TVs being unwatchable, they may just use the factory settings with hyped-up color intensity and image sharpness. It can be super-fatiguing. They do this to stand out in the store display. I agree that it can be awful.