Where to buy new iPhone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
yolli71

Where to buy new iPhone?

Post by yolli71 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:47 am

My wife has an iPhone 5 and she's ready to move up to a new phone. We're looking to purchase an iPhone 8, but where is the best place to purchase the new phone? Would it be directly from Apple or from our provider, Verizon? Or does it even matter?

We were going to go to the Apple store, but then I was wondering if Verizon might offer some sort of a better deal to keep us as customers (as we're going to buy the phone outright...no payment plans).

Any advice?

JMacDonald

Re: Where to buy new iPhone?

Post by JMacDonald » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:59 am

Best Wishes, | Joe

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:02 am

I just got an iPhone 8 Plus at an Apple store and paid in full for it. I moved my Verizon SIM into the new iPhone and it worked. A Verizon store will sell you one with 24 monthly payments and no interest (provided you continue service with them), but they also charge an "upgrade fee" of $30.00. I guess that's in effect the finance charge. For me, paying Apple full price up front (with no "upgrade fee") is preferable to dealing with Verizon any more than necessary.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:24 am

Cheyenne wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:02 am
I just got an iPhone 8 Plus at an Apple store and paid in full for it. I moved my Verizon SIM into the new iPhone and it worked. A Verizon store will sell you one with 24 monthly payments and no interest (provided you continue service with them), but they also charge an "upgrade fee" of $30.00. I guess that's in effect the finance charge. For me, paying Apple full price up front (with no "upgrade fee") is preferable to dealing with Verizon any more than necessary.
The last time I purchased an iphone at Verizon, I paid in full for the phone. They would allow you to make payments if desired which worked out to the same price when multiplied by 24 months. I also wasn't charged an upgrade fee of any kind but I wasn't under a contract either.

I've always just bought my phone at Verizon since they ensure I have the correct model, swap all my data to the new phone and get it working before I walk out the door.

revert

Post by revert » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:25 am

Most iPhone 8 deals will only be for new lines of service, so if you're planning on keeping the existing Verizon line it doesn't particularly matter where you buy it from - it will be difficult to find less than full retail anywhere.

The only exception is if you're on Verizon postpaid and they'll cut you a deal for extending your contract length. If that's not the case, I generally prefer to buy from the Apple store because I find them more pleasant to work with.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:35 am

JMacDonald wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:59 am
This deal looks good: https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/deals-hub
That's a good deal if you think signing up for T-mobile is also a good deal. If you quit, they demand full payment for the 'free' phone.

I buy my phones outright and then pick the cheapest plan. Right now that's Cricket but I just ordered a SIM from here, $15/month for unlimited talk/text/data:
(Thanks BH!)
https://www.mintsim.com/

emoore

Post by emoore » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:44 am

Black Friday deals with Walmart, Target, or Best Buy.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:39 am

I will begrudgingly continue to use Verizon because of their network, but after the debacle I've experienced in trying to get the iPhone X, I won't buy another thing from them because I have no confidence in them.

I purchased two iPhone X's from the V website on 10/28. I made all payments requested and received paperwork that the orders would deliver on 11/3. On 10/29, I received a notice from my credit card about a potentially fraudulent charge from Verizon. I called Verizon to ask if it was them They said no and they confirmed the charge was fraudulent. So I had my credit card cancelled.

On 10/31, I received an email from Verizon indicating they were trying to make a charge to my card but that it was canceled. I called them to update the card, but in speaking to them that day, I learned that the charge was legitimate and they had no idea why someone told me it wasn't (luckily there were notes in the system summarizing my conversation from 10/29).

By the end of the 10/31 phone call, everything was squared away and V confirmed both phones would arrive on 11/3 (one was a present BTW).

11/3 comes. One phone arrived, the second one didn't. I called around 5 PM after not hearing anything. I was first told that they ran out and I was just unlucky. After pressing them, it was due to the credit card issue from earlier in the week. My phone order was in some sort of a black hole in a perpetual "pending" status. So, I asked them to cancel the order and they did.

I called back on 11/7 (I think) to see if I could get some sort of compensation for my issues. They offered to waive any shipping fees on a new phone, which I declined. I found out they did not cancel the order when I called on 11/3. I asked them to on this phone call and they indicated they did.

On 11/9, I had the opportunity to buy the phone at an Apple Store. Unfortunately, V still had not canceled the order, and because of that, Apple couldn't sell it to me for my current line. I would've had to create a new account at V.

I called for the 3rd time on 11/9 for Verizon to cancel my order that I made on 10/28. They finally did. But unfortunately, the phones sold out at the Apple store so I was SOL.

Last, and I'm sort of piling on at this point, on 11/10, Verizon's website indicated they had stock at a store near me. I went through the entire process and purchased the phone. Verizon email confirmed the order, but I never got a 2nd set of instructions they told me to wait for before I went to the store. After waiting a while, I finally called. They had an issue with their system that indicated there was inventory when there actually wasn't (not sure I buy this but at this point, it doesn't matter). I had to go through the whole cancellation process again for this order.

As I said initially, I'll still use them because they have the best coverage for what we need, but I'm done giving them any other business.

And yes, I am a little bitter :-)

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Apple :D

mega317

Post by mega317 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:14 pm

ERISA Stone wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:39 am
On 10/29, I received a notice from my credit card about a potentially fraudulent charge from Verizon. I called Verizon to ask if it was them They said no and they confirmed the charge was fraudulent. So I had my credit card cancelled.
So the day after you make a large purchase from Verizon, the credit card tells you there was a large purchase from Verizon and you cancel the card?

yolli71

Post by yolli71 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:52 pm

Okay, so from the responses I've seen so far, I should either buy the phone from Apple, Verizon, or now T-Mobile (which I'm not interested in switching providers at this time). I think I'm even more confused now! :oops: If there's no special advantage in going with Verizon, I think I'm inclined to buy the phone through Apple.

I didn't expect to get a lower price on the actual phone from Verizon, but I thought they might've offered me a deal like more data at a discounted rate or something like that.

I told my wife we should wait for Black Friday but she seems to think there won't be any deals on iPhone 8's. Thoughts?

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:24 pm

mega317 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:14 pm
ERISA Stone wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:39 am
On 10/29, I received a notice from my credit card about a potentially fraudulent charge from Verizon. I called Verizon to ask if it was them They said no and they confirmed the charge was fraudulent. So I had my credit card cancelled.
So the day after you make a large purchase from Verizon, the credit card tells you there was a large purchase from Verizon and you cancel the card?
No. There were 3 charges from Verizon on Friday, the day I purchased the phones. Then Saturday there was a 4th charge. That was the charge my CC flagged and the one Verizon denied making.

2comma

Post by 2comma » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:29 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:35 am
JMacDonald wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:59 am
This deal looks good: https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/deals-hub
That's a good deal if you think signing up for T-mobile is also a good deal. If you quit, they demand full payment for the 'free' phone.

I buy my phones outright and then pick the cheapest plan. Right now that's Cricket but I just ordered a SIM from here, $15/month for unlimited talk/text/data:
(Thanks BH!)
https://www.mintsim.com/
Actually, I think you mentioned mintsim before (thanks!) and I think it's a very good deal but I rarely use any data so I'll probably stick with my AirVoice wireless at $10/Mo - small charges for voice/data but the data is no great deal but I have lots of rollover minutes so essentially free for my limited use. I thought the $15/Mo plan doesn't have unlimited data, it's 2 Gig, still I agree an intriging deal.
If I am stupid I will pay.

Cash

Post by Cash » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:19 am

If you're buying the phone outright, just get it at Apple. Simple, efficient, and the phone will be unlocked.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Just order one from the online apple store. Apple will likely have better stock than any other reseller and I think they have free shipping.

You'll get an unlocked phone shipped to your house. Getting it set up and working is trivial and easy.

Problem with buying directly from Verizon is that you'll get a locked Verizon phone which is a hassle if you ever change providers or decide to travel overseas and want to insert a non-Verizon SIM.

urumbu

Post by urumbu » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:26 pm

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:02 pm

yolli71 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:52 pm
Okay, so from the responses I've seen so far, I should either buy the phone from Apple, Verizon, or now T-Mobile (which I'm not interested in switching providers at this time). I think I'm even more confused now! :oops: If there's no special advantage in going with Verizon, I think I'm inclined to buy the phone through Apple.

I didn't expect to get a lower price on the actual phone from Verizon, but I thought they might've offered me a deal like more data at a discounted rate or something like that.

I told my wife we should wait for Black Friday but she seems to think there won't be any deals on iPhone 8's. Thoughts?
COSTCO

http://membershipwireless.com/index.cfm ... ell-phones

They will throw in 25 dollars and some accesories.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

rj49

Post by rj49 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:48 pm

You can look at swappa.com, which is sort of like ebay in using paypal and guarantees, but is quite rigorous about requiring detailed photos and descriptions of phones. If you're not absolutely tied to the 8, you can get previous models in mint or even new condition for much less (and avoid sales tax, if that's an issue in your state), but they also have the iphone 8.

If others are looking for an unbeatable plan and at least age 55, T-Mobile offers two lines of unlimited everything for $60 a month, all taxes and fees included. I live near Canada and go on Mexican cruises, so their free data and cell service in those countries also adds value, and you get a free hour of in-flight data on gogo-equipped flights, which I used a few days ago.

inspector00

Post by inspector00 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:26 pm

If you wait for 11/23 you can get either:
a $300 walmart giftcard if you buy it at walmart
a $250 target giftcard if you buy it at target
$200 off the phone if you buy it at best buy

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkell ... 6f897520bb

emoore

Post by emoore » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:30 pm

inspector00 wrote: