Hyundai Elantra Special Edition- any thoughts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
protagonist

Hyundai Elantra Special Edition- any thoughts?

Post by protagonist » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:35 pm

The local dealer is offering a new 2017 with the Ultimate (top end) Package for $7000 below MSRP. $21280 plus state tax and license/registration fees.

That's about $2000 less than a Honda Civic EX Hatchback with Honda Sensing.

Anybody have experience with this car and care to comment?

Thanks.

6miths

Re: Hyundai Elantra Special Edition- any thoughts?

Post by 6miths » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:11 am

Have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT and have driven many Honda Civics. I'm not fond of the styling of the new Elantra but that is personal preference obviously, I'm not keen on the styling of the new Civic either for that matter. On paper the Hyundai offers more bang for back in terms of features but the build quality of Hondas seems much more solid to me. I think the Elantra is decent value for money but it is very hard to beat Honda and Toyota for quality.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

crystalbank

Post by crystalbank » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:07 am

I think $7000 off MSRP is a great deal. The Elantra is a great car and Hyundai really picked up their quality in recent years. I would take it!

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:16 pm

crystalbank wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:07 am
I think $7000 off MSRP is a great deal. The Elantra is a great car and Hyundai really picked up their quality in recent years. I would take it!
Thanks. I probably will. I have emailed about 50 dealers and so far nobody has given me a better price than my local dealer down the street (the price above). Plus they offered me a good trade-in price about $1000 above kelley blue book.

Crystalbank, by your comment I imagine you own an Elantra. Two issues I have heard about it:

1. Lousy acceleration....bad going up hills especially in inclement weather. I did think it had less power than other similar cars I test drove like the Civic.
2. Bad handling and gets stuck easily in snow/ice. I am quite concerned about this. To be fair, most of the complaints were from people using the 3 season tires, not snows. But the tires that come with the car seem very low-end to me.

Can you comment on these issues, as well as anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks.

harrington

Post by harrington » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:40 pm

Can't comment on the new models but I gave my son my 2009 Elantra when he went off to college and he's still driving it with minimal issues and close to 175,000 miles.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:50 pm

protagonist wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:16 pm
2. Bad handling and gets stuck easily in snow/ice. I am quite concerned about this. To be fair, most of the complaints were from people using the 3 season tires, not snows. But the tires that come with the car seem very low-end to me.
Can't comment on the quality of the tires generally. But I own a 2013 Elantra GT and have had zero trouble with handling in snow and ice, what we get in central NC at least. Tires are sufficiently grippy, center of gravity is low enough, and ESC and ABS help out. I've driven in 2-day old refrozen slush, navigated patchy black ice, and spent several hours in fresh snow during storms over the last few years. It was a joy to drive through powder on the back roads while people were catching their cars on fire on the freeway - see link below for your amusement. I was able to traverse places where poor drivers in pickups and SUVs got stuck. Doesn't mean I had a great car or was a great driver but certainly adequate for normal snowy conditions.

(https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... zh&ampcf=1)

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:55 pm

Thank you , Tamarind and Harrington. To somebody who has been a loyal Honda driver since the 80s that is reassuring.
I live in MA so winter handling is important.

crystalbank

Post by crystalbank » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:23 pm

protagonist wrote:
crystalbank wrote:
Thanks. I probably will. I have emailed about 50 dealers and so far nobody has given me a better price than my local dealer down the street (the price above). Plus they offered me a good trade-in price about $1000 above kelley blue book.

Crystalbank, by your comment I imagine you own an Elantra. Two issues I have heard about it:

1. Lousy acceleration....bad going up hills especially in inclement weather. I did think it had less power than other similar cars I test drove like the Civic.

Thanks.
I don't own an Elantra but drove the Elantra on numerous occasions and also had seat time with the current '17 MY for more than a week. The 'lousy acceleration' I suspect probably had more to do with the transmission not doing a proper job and still keeping it in higher gears over a hill. They revamped the Elantra for MY '17 and it's significantly better than previous generations including the 6-speed auto transmission. It's quite peppy when you drive around in sport mode.

I can't comment on handling in snow since I live in CA, but I don't see how this will be any different than all the other FWD cars out there with winter tires.

Here's a review I found on YT which I think explains all the details about the car very well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpncR9Jqj38.

I was flooring the car the whole time I had it and still got around 40 MPG. Great build quality too, reminds me of my old Audi but only cheaper and probably more reliable :P

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:13 pm

crystalbank wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:23 pm
protagonist wrote:
crystalbank wrote:

Thanks.
I don't own an Elantra but drove the Elantra on numerous occasions and also had seat time with the current '17 MY for more than a week. The 'lousy acceleration' I suspect probably had more to do with the transmission not doing a proper job and still keeping it in higher gears over a hill. They revamped the Elantra for MY '17 and it's significantly better than previous generations including the 6-speed auto transmission. It's quite peppy when you drive around in sport mode.

I can't comment on handling in snow since I live in CA, but I don't see how this will be any different than all the other FWD cars out there with winter tires.

Here's a review I found on YT which I think explains all the details about the car very well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpncR9Jqj38.

I was flooring the car the whole time I had it and still got around 40 MPG. Great build quality too, reminds me of my old Audi but only cheaper and probably more reliable :P
Thanks again, Crystal. Come this time of year I seriously miss California. No snow yet but it is getting cold here.
I don't know what MY stands for. Model year?
Anyway, glad to hear your positive reviews. One thing that sold me on it was the 10 yr/100K warranty with a dealer within walking distance. With all the sophisticated electronics, I anticipate things do go wrong, and when they do they are very expensive to repair. When I was test-driving a Honda rep told me that if the screen goes dead on the Honda "infotainment center" (gotta love that euphemism), replacing it costs $3700. That is just $300 less than the price I was quoted for replacing the engine in my 2006 Element! (which is why I am car shopping). I am sure there are better aftermarket products in the $500 range, but just saying.....

GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:18 am

I purchased a 2017 Elantra Limited in June for just under 20K with rebates. Included self-driving features + more and dealer sticker was 30K.

Jane

Post by Jane » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:49 am

A friend of mine rented a 2016 Hyundai Elantra. We liked everything about the car, but neither of us would want to own the car for any price due to the blind spot. We drive in Los Angeles, California.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:48 pm

I just bought the car.

I will look out for the blind spot. I imagine the blind spot detection system, assuming it works well, will eliminate that problem (at least once I get used to using it...that is if I am still alive and kicking).

I eliminated the blind spot issue on my 2006 Element and on my gf's 2015 Fit with those tiny convex stick on mirrors from Auto Zone like truck drivers use....they cost only a few bucks each, and are probably the best under-$5 purchase that can save your life. But I am excited about the blind spot detection thing.

There is a ton of sophisticated safety electronics in the car. It all seems fantastic and I love it....though maybe not so much if and when it fails. Best case scenario is a huge repair bill or do without. Worst case....well....
Last edited by protagonist on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:27 pm

I have a 2009 Honda Fit and a 2010 Hyundai Elantra

Fit:
better gas millage average 32-33mpg
acceleration is better
mechanically very durable except for A/C
a lot of cheap not as durable plastic interior parts and the paint scratches and body dents on the exterior if you blow on it.

Elantra
Nicer interior and more durable finish and exterior
seats more comfortable.
acceleration feels a fairly dead compared to fit
Gas millage kind of poor for its size only 27 mpg

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:45 pm

sschoe2 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Fit:
acceleration is better
a lot of cheap not as durable plastic interior parts and the paint scratches and body dents on the exterior if you blow on it.

Elantra
seats more comfortable.
I really like the Fit. My gf has one. Problem is that I am tall, and the leg room doesn't work for me.
What you say about the performance and comfort factors - I agree.
I think the Elantra is much improved since 2010 from everything I read. It is now rated at just under 40 MPG highway....about the same as the Fit I believe. Since I just bought it today and have driven it about a mile, I am not ready to comment.

I got the top-of-the-line 2017 Elantra for only about $3000 more than the 2015 Fit cost out-the-door, if my memory serves me well. It's a lot more car for the money, with a warranty that sounds too good to be true (skeptical). The thing drives itself. I hope it proves to be reliable.
Last edited by protagonist on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:48 pm

Overall I like my Fit as well as well as my mom's Elantra. I like the cargo space (can fit a bike in without taking off the wheels just turn front wheel up). It has been pretty good mechanically especially compared the the 90's GM excrement-boxes my parents bought that they came to regret. First car that the family has owned that will make it to 100k miles. The only thing that really bothers me about the fit is the seats get uncomfortable during long trips. I ride 100 miles on a bike saddle so making my rear end sore is really something for a car.

I'm really not fussy about cars. As long as they drive ok and are durable that is good enough for me.

sambb

Post by sambb » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:56 pm

i would get civic, accord, or preowned other model (camry, prius)
Not a hyundai

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:59 pm

sschoe2 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:48 pm

I'm really not fussy about cars. As long as they drive ok and are durable that is good enough for me.

That's always been my attitude. That said, the features available in the new cars are pretty seductive, unlike the older ones which had heat, A/C , cruise control, a CD player and not much else worth paying for except maybe a sunroof. I usually opted for base model cars and put a good stereo system in...the higher trim levels gave you little more than bling...but that has changed . The car that I purchased for $22-23K including tax, reg, fees etc. comes pretty close to being self-driving. Not quite to the point that I would recommend you should kick back and read the newspaper and count on the car definitely staying in your lane, maintaining a steady distance from the car in front and automatically avoiding all collisions, as it is programmed to do. But it is not far from that either , and I imagine it will be a dinosaur in 5 years.

I have driven Hondas pretty much steady since the mid-80s....every time I tried something else it turned out to be a nightmare. So I went into this process thinking....Honda, Toyota, nothing else. But Hyundai and Kia seem to have come a long way...probably a bit inferior to Honda and Toyota but not by much, according to reviews, and they are much hungrier to make deals so you can get a lot more for your money. I'm a bit skeptical as well, given my history with other models, but whatev.....

I also agree that the Fit is not particularly comfortable, though it is otherwise a great little car.
Last edited by protagonist on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:09 pm

sschoe2 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Fit:
acceleration is better

Elantra
seats more comfortable.
My parents have a Fit and love it. I have an Elantra GT and love it. We both get better mileage in the real world than you list here (41 for the Fit and 34 for the Elantra, but my mom and I both have a lot of highway in our commutes). Otherwise I'd say I agree with your comparison *except* that the Fit also has rather less pleasant ride than the Elantra (both on stock tires). It's not just the seats and interior width but the noise level and vibration as well.

Both are definitely solid small affordable cars that are more functional than enjoyable. But these 2nd tier cars have gotten so much better over the last 10-15 years, getting safety and comfort features that used to be the province of luxury.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:21 pm

I just googled it....
2017 Hyundai Elantra/MPG
Up to 32 city / 40 highway

I don't know if that is accurate or not. But if so, with a 14 gal. tank (larger than the Civic, Fit or Corolla), that translates to a potential range of 500 + miles between fill-ups.
The difference between a car that gets 30 mpg and one that gets 40 mpg is only about 83 gallons/10K miles. That can add up if you do a lot of long commuting, but other than making the environmentally conscious decision (which is important IMHO), from a financial standpoint it is not the huge deal that people make it out to be for the average driver. And going from 40 mpg to 50 mpg (as with the better hybrids) the difference is only 50 gallons/10K miles- about $120 at today's local prices. Even if gas goes up to $5/gallon, the difference is not that great.

I thought the Elantra was quieter and rode smoother than the Civic or Corolla that I drove...more in line with the Accord and Camry, maybe even a bit more so. But I only took them for test drives. It did seem to lack power compared with the other cars.

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:18 pm

We have a 2014 Elantra SE that we bought new and included the back-up camera, Bluetooth, and heated seats which, at least at the time, was pretty nice for an economy priced car. Been happy with it. Average MPG has been around 35 and long road trips we'll get 40-42 mpg. Hard to beat that in its car class. Acceleration is a bit underwhelming but it doesn't bother me much. I'm usually more interested in optimizing fuel efficiency so I don't mind not being able to really push it. The stock tires were not great. Didn't feel real solid in heavy rain or snow. I believe they were Hankook, not sure if they still put those on the 2017 model. Anyhow, we got 50K miles out of them before changing out this year for some better rated ones. So, I agree with the two knocks you've read about acceleration and handling with the stock tires, but it's worked out okay for us thus far.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:09 am

jimmo wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:18 pm
We have a 2014 Elantra SE that we bought new and included the back-up camera, Bluetooth, and heated seats which, at least at the time, was pretty nice for an economy priced car. Been happy with it. Average MPG has been around 35 and long road trips we'll get 40-42 mpg. Hard to beat that in its car class. Acceleration is a bit underwhelming but it doesn't bother me much. I'm usually more interested in optimizing fuel efficiency so I don't mind not being able to really push it. The stock tires were not great. Didn't feel real solid in heavy rain or snow. I believe they were Hankook, not sure if they still put those on the 2017 model. Anyhow, we got 50K miles out of them before changing out this year for some better rated ones. So, I agree with the two knocks you've read about acceleration and handling with the stock tires, but it's worked out okay for us thus far.
My guess is that manufacturers are skimping on tires across the board on new vehicles.
My 2006 Element was a great car but the tires wore out in 2 years. And my guess is they have gotten worse.
My gf's 2015 Fit has already suffered two or three flat tires in her 2-3 years of ownership.
I doubt that Hyundai is an exception.

I have been researching snow tires, and Hankooks actually seem to get very good reviews, despite being at least $50 cheaper per tire than Michelins or Bridgestones. I am surprised. (And skeptical).

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:40 am

When I replaced tires, I went with General AltiMax. Middle of the road price, solid ratings. Been very pleased 6 months in. Wet traction and handling noticeably better than the Hankooks that came with vehicle. I just get all-season tires so no comment on snow tires.