Regrets after reaching retirement?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ASpenderInRecovery

Regrets after reaching retirement?

Post by ASpenderInRecovery » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:37 am

Bogleheads,

I'd like to solicit some general feedback on personal regrets you have either after retiring or upon reaching retirement. For example, I'm 30, married with no kids, a bit of a workaholic, and don't allow myself to take vacations. I had a mentor recently encourage me to relax a little as when I go to retire I won't remember every extra day I worked but I will remember a nice trip/vacation I go on with my wife.

Examples:

Do you regret not taking more trips or vacations with your family? Regret not traveling more before having kids?

Do you regret not rewarding yourself more ie. nice car, electronics, etc once in awhile while remaining a disciplined saver/investor?

Do you regret leaving a job too early or staying too long and missing a better opportunity?

Do you regret not brown nosing enough with bosses to advance your career?

Do you regret not taking more risks in your career?

Sandtrap

Re: Regrets after reaching retirement?

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:01 pm

Nope.
Water under the bridge.
Onward👍

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:19 pm

I have a few minor regrets that I didn't retire sooner. But, water under the bridge.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:26 pm

So far, no regrets. But I travelled before retirement with and without kids and I travel in retirement with and without kids.

While I have a nice car, I don't consider it a reward for anything.

I do see people regret not taking care of their health and bodies. I don't have that regret so far.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:32 pm

Follow the Golden Rule in life and you will have no regrets. Treat yourself and others as you would like to be treated. Be nice to yourself.
Moderation in everything, it's okay to spend for present consumption so long as you are spending (saving/investing) for future consumption. Do not be a miser, you are still young so plenty of time to do ALL of the things you list above including settling down if that is what you desire. No one likes a brown noser, they like folks who are active participants in the accomplishment of objectives. No one has ever said they wished they spent more time at the office on their deathbed, and I don't believe that track record will be broken by you.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:35 pm

ASpenderInRecovery wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:37 am
Bogleheads,

I'd like to solicit some general feedback on personal regrets you have either after retiring or upon reaching retirement. For example, I'm 30, married with no kids, a bit of a workaholic, and don't allow myself to take vacations. I had a mentor recently encourage me to relax a little as when I go to retire I won't remember every extra day I worked but I will remember a nice trip/vacation I go on with my wife.

Examples:

Do you regret not taking more trips or vacations with your family? Regret not traveling more before having kids?

Do you regret not rewarding yourself more ie. nice car, electronics, etc once in awhile while remaining a disciplined saver/investor?

Do you regret leaving a job too early or staying too long and missing a better opportunity?

I did all those things, so nothing to regret. It is all a matter of balance and perspective. I feel satisfaction for successfully reaching this point in good physical and financial shape.

Levett

Post by Levett » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:39 pm

Start with assessing who you are--what you expect of yourself and life.

You are just 30 years old. The odds are on your side that you will have plenty of time to weigh these questions.

I agree with others that you don't want to lead a life weighed down by regret.

It sounds like you have a sensible mentor.

Lev

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:42 pm

We did a week every year without kids, mainly to make up for not seeing each other enough during the weeks/weekends due to jobs. Add to that a week with kids at annual family reunion with grandparents.

Can't say it really is a "regret," as our jobs were demanding, but it would have been nice to have take 2 week vacations together more frequently than every 5 or 6 years...

Then again, we are making up for it now (57/56).

On balance, DW and I would fall into Sandtrap's camp: No regrets, Onward!

OTOH, in your case, no vacations whatsoever is pretty extreme, at least in my subjective opinion. (Maybe you have your weekends off though, which would be a big factor.)
Edit Signature

Post by 2015 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:59 pm

Bogleheads,

Examples:

I'd say be careful with the opinions and projections of others. I was always getting this kind of "advice" before I retired but it never was in my personality. I don't regret anything in my life because everything good, bad, or ugly taught me what I needed to know in order to make the next change. If I had a "regret" it would be that I took everything so seriously and didn't trust myself more that even if I made a mistake, I would recover and get even better. Wait, I don't even regret that because it got me to where I am today. Oh well. You gotta be you.

It's awesome that you have mentor at 30. Nothing will move you faster in all facets of life than reading non-fiction business books and having a mentor.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:17 pm

Not many regrets. There are always things that might have turned out better if I had taken the other path, but you make decisions based on the information you have at the time. I tend to spend a lot of time (maybe too much) evaluating a decision, and trying to keep options open, but once I'm past that, I try to let things go.

If there is one that I still wonder about, it is whether it was a good choice to have been on such a push to graduate college quickly, starting JC classes while I was in HS, and taking as many as 25 units at a time. But I still did have time for some fun and good experiences (and to find the amazing wife who has been with me for 35 years), and graduating without debt gave us a lot more flexibility in our finances moving forward. Looking at others (including my kids) who have done the more traditional 4 years in one place, I'd say my college experience lacked in some ways, but benefitted in other ways.

We always tried to maintain balance in our lives, though with LBYM as a first priority. With three kids and one income, we didn't do fancy trips in the early years, but we did manage to use every vacation day available. We were probably 35 before we took our first trip overseas, but while we would have enjoyed travelling earlier, we didn't feel like we had missed out. It was probably about at this stage where we started maybe putting half of increases in income into additional spending (before this point it was probably save/invest 90% of any increase).

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:36 pm

Minor regrets: should have not bought the large house, should have maximized both 401b and 457b earlier, should have spent time on managing money at the beginning of my career. But that is life, you cannot be 100% right at every step.

Learning that there might be something called regret, I will just make sure that I will have few or no regrets in the future.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:11 pm

We have been very happy so far. I quit work shortly after S was born so I could stay home and raise him and D. We lived below our budget and always tried to go with H when he traveled. We treasured our family trips.

Once our kids were older, I went back to work part time to help build our savings and college savings plus retirement. I have enjoyed my various part time jobs. H just retired 5 years ago and enjoyed most of his 45 years of his career. I am still enjoying my part time career and we still enjoy travel—leisure trips, trips connected with my nonprofit, and just because.

Can’t really think of any regrets.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:46 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:36 pm
Minor regrets: should have not bought the large house, should have maximized both 401b and 457b earlier, should have spent time on managing money at the beginning of my career. But that is life, you cannot be 100% right at every step.
Even these things can be hard to know which was best. We bought the big house, but not until we were financially comfortable with it. It probably turned out to be at least a net wash, maybe a win, financially because of gains and tax impacts, and we made good use of the house over those years. I also don't regret not maxing tax-deferred earlier (always at least got the match, though), as I think we kept a reasonable balance (and put more in home equity). We did miss out on a few years of Simple IRA when it would have been easy to save there, and I caught on to the potential of HSA late and missed some opportunity there. But having a balance between taxable and tax-deferred investments has turned out to be very beneficial for gaming the ACA subsidies, which I would never have predicted years ago.

rocket354

Post by rocket354 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:53 pm

Not the OP, but perhaps instead of reading regret and thinking "things that I hate myself every waking moment for having done," read regret as "in retrospect, these are the lesson's I've learned about how things could/should be done." That would be a very helpful perspective for people still charting their course.

soccerdad12

Post by soccerdad12 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:57 pm

Tough answering those questions, bc you don't know how each of those decisions could turn out for you. You might make decision X and become filthy rich or you could make decision Y and it is become the biggest mistake of your life. You are asking people to look backwards, which is a valid reference point but with one different decision it could have turned out different for each of us.

Do your best, but enjoy life along the way because you never know when time is going to run out.
Last edited by soccerdad12 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:21 pm

Take advantage of all the vacation time you can get especially with your kids. At some point in your life, hopefully sooner rather than later, you will hopefully realize that your "career" advancement and success is completely meaningless with regards to what it takes to actively and mindfully lead a satisfying, fulfilling and meaningful life.

Regret for not brown nosing bosses? I hope you are joking...?

TRC

Post by TRC » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:25 pm

steadyeddy

Post by steadyeddy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:51 pm

If bunch of rich, old Bogleheads tell you they regret not spending a bit more in their youth, please keep in mind that they are rich and old. The people who have been unlucky in their careers or lives probably aren't reading Bogleheads, so can't comment.

And that's the unfortunate truth. Nobody knows at age 30 just how much they ought to save vs. spend because life is long and the future is unknowable. Do the best you can to do what's right for you. Just don't rely too much on responses from a self-selecting group that has had good outcomes.

:sharebeer

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:41 pm

I watch this from time to time:

https://youtu.be/qHnIJeE3LAI
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:53 pm

Never,Never regret,
Waste of valuable precious time.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

msj16

Post by msj16 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:56 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:41 pm

Thank you for this link. Yes, we need to be mindful - that is not always regretting the past or worrying about the future. Of coure all of us have to do some planning but we shouldn't forget to live for now.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:00 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:41 pm

Interesting....
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

retire57

Post by retire57 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:02 pm

We made some not-so-good financial moves over our working careers, and yet everything worked out just fine. Never been happier.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:38 pm

30? 30? At 30 I was still a baby. That was too early to have regrets.....Okay, I did, but personal stuff, not occupation wise. At that age I was only 3 years from graduating college. (Previous I had been in the Marines mainly and no regrets about that.) I was working hard as a young engineer, married 3 years (married after graduating.) Over my career I never took all of my vacation, but I always took at least 2 weeks with my wife and later with our kids. It would have been unfair to them, if I did not, and it would have been unfair to me as well.
Your thread title "Regrets after reaching retirement?" After retiring, I never had any regrets about anything in my life and I have none today, 19 years after retiring. You shouldn't either. Live your life well for you and your family. If you work too much, 50 years from now no one will remember how much you are working now, except you and yours. Memories..memories...let them be enjoyable ones.
Have no regrets!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFtGfyruroU
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:11 pm

At 30, retirement was not a consideration, nor was a balanced life with marriage and children, though we made efforts to both work and have balance. We maintained reasonable success with both but secondarily focusing on career provided the ability to fund our children's education at primary and graduate levels, provided assets for savings and, ultimately, resulted in successful children. If there is one thing that has made retirement copesthetic, it is that our children have become successful adults. If we had felt that was not occurring, we would have made whatever modifications we felt would lead to that outcome. No assurance, of course, but if you know in your heart you are neglecting family for career, then all sorts of difficulties now and later are more likely to occur. Both can co-exist but not without ongoing effort.

Tim

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:14 pm

Sheepdog wrote: . . . . "Regrets after reaching retirement?" After retiring, I never had any regrets about anything in my life and I have none today, 19 years after retiring. You shouldn't either. Live your life well for you and your family. If you work too much, 50 years from now no one will remember how much you are working now, except you and yours. Memories..memories...let them be enjoyable ones.
What a wonderful post Sheepdog!

"Non, je ne regrette rien" - "No Regrets" - Edith Piaf
"No! No regrets
No! I will have no regrets
All the things
That went wrong
For at last I have learned to be strong

No! No regrets
For the grief doesn't last
It is gone
I've forgotten the past

And the memories I had
I no longer desire
Both the good and the bad
I have flang in a fire
And I feel in my heart
That the seed has been sown
It is something quite new
It's like nothing I've known.

No! No regrets
All the things
That went wrong

No! No regrets
For the seed that is new
It's the love that is growing for you."

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:16 pm

Bopped around the world for years and never focused on my future or a career. Finally got 2 college degrees in my early 30s, and after more overseas adventures eventually "settled down" when I was about 40. Sure, if I had been more serious about planning my life and thinking about the future, I might have had a more shining career and more ... whatever. But I wouldn't change those early years even if I could. Retirement is icing on the cake.

ASpenderInRecovery

Post by ASpenderInRecovery » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:28 pm

rocket354 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:53 pm
Not the OP, but perhaps instead of reading regret and thinking "things that I hate myself every waking moment for having done," read regret as "in retrospect, these are the lesson's I've learned about how things could/should be done." That would be a very helpful perspective for people still charting their course.
Thanks Rocket. In retrospet “regrets” has a negative connotation and I was more looking for lessons learned over their lifetime which would be helpful for a younger BH saver/investor.

Tons of great advice thus far.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:50 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:14 pm
Sheepdog wrote: . . . . "Regrets after reaching retirement?" After retiring, I never had any regrets about anything in my life and I have none today, 19 years after retiring. You shouldn't either. Live your life well for you and your family. If you work too much, 50 years from now no one will remember how much you are working now, except you and yours. Memories..memories...let them be enjoyable ones.
What a wonderful post Sheepdog!

"Non, je ne regrette rien" - "No Regrets" - Edith Piaf
"No! No regrets
All the things
That went wrong

No! No regrets
For the grief doesn't last
It is gone
I've forgotten the past

And the memories I had
I no longer desire
Both the good and the bad
I have flang in a fire
And I feel in my heart
That the seed has been sown
It is something quite new
It's like nothing I've known.

No! No regrets
All the things
That went wrong

No! No regrets
For the seed that is new
It's the love that is growing for you."

Great song but only if sung by the unequal Edith Piaf.

TravelforFun

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:56 pm

Approaching full retirement and my regret is that I'd put too much money in tax-deferred accounts. Uncle Sam is waiting for me at the finish line.

I've no other regrets because I've done everything my wife and I wanted to do while we were working.

TravelforFun

skjoldur

Post by skjoldur » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:18 pm

I had a mentor recently encourage me to relax a little as when I go to retire I won't remember every extra day I worked but I will remember a nice trip/vacation I go on with my wife.
I endorse this advice. I worked very hard at times and was pleased with things I accomplished through work. But most of my best memories are from goofing around with friends and family. I also believe that your capacity to enjoy many experiences is greater when you are young. Vacations at 30 are better than vacations at 50 (although they are still great).

On the other hand it's really hard to give advice because you don't know what's going to happen. As they say: "judge no man happy until he is dead."

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:00 pm

deleted
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:06 pm

Nothing except maybe I should have invested a little bit of money in bitcoin. :D

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:18 pm

My only regret is that I didn’t know twenty years ago what I now know about investing, I might have done a better job of accumulating for retirement. Oh, well ...
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

Post by 2015 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:19 pm

steadyeddy wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:51 pm
If bunch of rich, old Bogleheads tell you they regret not spending a bit more in their youth, please keep in mind that they are rich and old. The people who have been unlucky in their careers or lives probably aren't reading Bogleheads, so can't comment.

And that's the unfortunate truth. Nobody knows at age 30 just how much they ought to save vs. spend because life is long and the future is unknowable. Do the best you can to do what's right for you. Just don't rely too much on responses from a self-selecting group that has had good outcomes.

:sharebeer
+1
One great post.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:19 pm

Not retired yet, but probably within 5-10 years.

I don't know that I'd say regrets.

Travel? I wish I had traveled internationally more, but making that happen isn't always easy.

Cars/Houses/material goods - do I wish I had splurged more? No, not at all. Do I think we overspent on any major purchases? No.

Career Decisions - I had a couple of opportunities early in my career they would have taken me on different paths. I have no way of knowing whether those paths would have been better or worse.

What if we had kids sooner? There are certainly upsides and downsides either way.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:24 pm

Regrets are not actionable.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | Endurance athletes are the Bogleheads of sports. | "I like people - I just don't want to be around 'em." - Russell Gordy

WildBill

Post by WildBill » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:28 pm

Howdy

I should have drunk more champagne. I am working on that now, trying to catch up.

And although we took the kids on lots of cool trips, if I had it to do over we would have done even more. Working on that one also. They are in college now, but we kidnap them for 2 or 3 trips a year.

Working is immensely overrated. Have fun. Regrets are for sissies. Make your decisions and take action.

Happy trails

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:02 am

Early retirement did not appear on my radar until I turned 35, when I paid off my mortgage and greatly reduced my living expenses, setting up my switch from full-time to part-time work 3 years later. By then, early retirement was well within my radar and I was able to retire in 2008 at age 45. Single, no kids, both big reasons I was able to retire 9 years ago.

As to the regrets shown in the OP's post, I sometimes wish I had stuck it out in my crummy rental apartment for another year before buying the co-op apartment I live in. The real estate market went into a nosedive in 1989-1990 so I would have been able to afford a slightly bigger place for the same money. No other regrets.

book lover

Post by book lover » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:44 am

No regrets but a generous helping of serendipity: A friend suggested the right career for me, moved to a low cost of living area without giving that much thought, met me wife though a physician I was working with and had many business opportunities appear from being at the right place and the right time. Finally, these wonderful folks at the Bogleheads were instrumental in helping me get a good handle on making the right financial decisions for which I will forever be grateful.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:47 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:32 pm
Follow the Golden Rule in life and you will have no regrets. Treat yourself and others as you would like to be treated. Be nice to yourself.
Moderation in everything, it's okay to spend for present consumption so long as you are spending (saving/investing) for future consumption. Do not be a miser, you are still young so plenty of time to do ALL of the things you list above including settling down if that is what you desire. No one likes a brown noser, they like folks who are active participants in the accomplishment of objectives. No one has ever said they wished they spent more time at the office on their deathbed, and I don't believe that track record will be broken by you.

This is all absolutely excellent advice.

Follows the ancient wisdom of "everything in moderation". Ecclesiastes, amongst others, would have approved.

Another example of why I so look forward to your posts.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:02 am

Valuethinker wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:47 am
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:32 pm

This is all absolutely excellent advice.

Follows the ancient wisdom of "everything in moderation". Ecclesiastes, amongst others, would have approved.

Another example of why I so look forward to your posts.
Thanks. P.S. I'm not retired yet (let's hope my employer's not making any plans either! :wink: )
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:32 am

No regrets for me while working for pay, or after retiring from paid work (16+ years). I love my blood family and my church family. It is almost always wiser to focus on helping others, beginning with my immediate family, rather than focusing on your own flaws or mistakes; all one can do is to learn from those flaws and mistakes, get back up, shake off the dust, and press on. It is far too easy to focus inwardly and become consumed with "should have" and "if only" rather than outwardly on "help and love others". I am satisfied what I have and try not to obsess on what I do not have. I try to focus on the things in my sphere of influence and not get up tight about all the "out there" problems that I can do nothing about other than worry. Oh, and turn off the nightly sensational stuff formerly known as news. :D Thus, no regrets. :sharebeer
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.