Office Chair Recommendations (Aeron?)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

Office Chair Recommendations (Aeron?)

Post by ThankYouJack » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:55 am

I need a new office chair. I typically go for comfort, but am thinking something that offers more support and good posture will be better. I would be willing to spend a decent amount (maybe $500 or more for something high quality with a warranty) but would be nice to try some out before buying. Any recommendations?

Pajamas

Re: Office Chair Recommendations (Aeron?)

Post by Pajamas » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:21 am

Yes, go to a business that sells office chairs and try them out and see what feels comfortable to you.

Any of the better chairs from the top manufacturers (Steelcase, Herman Miller, Knoll, Haworth, etc.) will be of good quality.

Also look at the warranty so that when the fabric or cushion wears out in five years or whatever you can have it replaced at no charge instead of having to buy a new one.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:22 am

Save the money and buy a stand up desk. I've had one for 3+ years and will never go back to sitting

WalterMitty

Post by WalterMitty » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:33 am

I work in facilities for a megacorp, and buy many chairs per year. Most recently we opened a new office for 265 folks and we went with the Herman Miller Mirra chair. It has a mesh seat, with a rubber seat back. Folks seem to like it. I think it's just "okay".

My favorite chair that I use at work and at home (and have done so since around 2005) is the Knoll Life Chair. It has a fabric mesh seat back, and a fabric seat. It's a true fully adjustable chair (seat pan depth can slide in and out etc.) and this makes a big difference. Also the Knoll Life chair has a fairly flat seat without a solid frame/boarder. It lacks the hard ridge on the outer rim of the seat pan that many other chairs have (Aeron, Mirra, etc.) and that can cause some users thigh pain.

Be sure to look around the web and in your area for second hand commercial furniture dealers. You can pick up near mint condition chairs for a really good price.

NYC_Guy

Post by NYC_Guy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:41 am

Freedom Headrest from Humanscale. Changed my life (substantially eliminated back and shoulder pain). I also have a stand-up desk, but I still end up sitting a lot. It's not cheap, though. Starts at $1100. I think a desk chair and a good mattress are investments (in mental and physical health).

matjen

Post by matjen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:42 am

I sit in a Knoll Life chair currently (as in right now as I type!) and like it quite a bit. However I actually prefer the Knoll Chadwick. It is a very comfortable and a bit smaller than some of the other big gun chairs. I prefer the smaller footprint.

https://www.knoll.com/product/chadwick
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

bligh

Post by bligh » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:45 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:55 am
I need a new office chair. I typically go for comfort, but am thinking something that offers more support and good posture will be better. I would be willing to spend a decent amount (maybe $500 or more for something high quality with a warranty) but would be nice to try some out before buying. Any recommendations?
I bought an Aeron for myself ~9 years ago. I am sitting in it right now. Though it feels as good as new, if it broke somehow, I'd immediately go out and get another Aeron.

Considering how many hours I spend in my chair working, I figured it was a no brainer for me.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:50 am

bligh wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:45 am
ThankYouJack wrote:
I bought an Aeron for myself ~9 years ago. I am sitting in it right now. Though it feels as good as new, if it broke somehow, I'd immediately go out and get another Aeron.

Considering how many hours I spend in my chair working, I figured it was a no brainer for me.
+1 on Aeron. I've been sitting in the same one for well over a decade now. I didn't pay for mine - I got it from a start-up company I worked for ("Take what you want - we are shutting down") that went out of business (so I lost my job at the time but gained a nice chair :)). If I had to replace it - I would buy another one. The only thing I did do to it is I replaced the wheels with rollerblade type wheels which work much better.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:59 pm

Another vote for Aeron. I was lucky enough to have one at a company I worked at before I got laid off.

When I got my current job the "stock" chair was terrible. Company provides all kinds of ergonomics consulting but it's worthless - someone just visits you and tells you to adjust your chair, no alternatives are available.

So I bought a used loaded Aeron for $500, it was money well spent! :beer

BTW I found the Aeron seat to be rather stiff. I bought a custom cushion from ebay, it's now very comfy.

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:40 pm

My company bought me a Steelcase Amia when I requested a more ergonomic chair for my home office (lower back issues). It has been great for me and price point is in your range. Have been using it for years, 8 solid hours a day...quite happy with it, so much so that I paid out of pocket to buy another one for a second office.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:23 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:59 pm

BTW I found the Aeron seat to be rather stiff. I bought a custom cushion from ebay, it's now very comfy.
Which is why it is so important to actually try a chair before buying. Few people would buy shoes that they had never tried on just because they were recommended on the internet even though the shoes probably cost much less than an office chair and won't last nearly as long, but they will buy a chair they have never sat on. :oops:

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:33 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:59 pm
Another vote for Aeron. I was lucky enough to have one at a company I worked at before I got laid off.

When I got my current job the "stock" chair was terrible.

So I bought a used loaded Aeron for $500, it was money well spent!
This is similar to my story too, except that I got my second one for $250 on CraigsList. My first one was over 10 years old and it was still in excellent condition. I moved it with me to three different buildings before being laid off.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:53 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:21 am
Yes, go to a business that sells office chairs and try them out and see what feels comfortable to you.

Any of the better chairs from the top manufacturers (Steelcase, Herman Miller, Knoll, Haworth, etc.) will be of good quality.

Also look at the warranty so that when the fabric or cushion wears out in five years or whatever you can have it replaced at no charge instead of having to buy a new one.
+1. Aeron's are nice but so are most of the other ones. Aerons just get a lot more press humanscale, steelcase and the rest. Find a store that had half dozen of them and see what you like. At only 500 bucks you are in the used market but most these are available around that price point on Craigslist.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:24 pm

bligh wrote:
ThankYouJack wrote:

100% agree. Aeron - I have had mine since 1995. Expensive but well worth it...and it will likely last longer than most of its owners.

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:39 pm

bligh wrote:

If it broke after 9 years, I believe that you'd still have another 3 years left on the warranty. I'm on my second Aeron, and I had to use the warranty 3 times on the first one.

rocket354

Post by rocket354 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:40 pm

I've used Aeron at various companies. I bought for my own place a Steelcase and liked it considerably more. Aeron has more of the workplace market and therefore many more loyal followers who might not have experienced much else. That's not to say it isn't a fine chair, but it wasn't ideal for me and my back problems.

Other options I can put out there (some repeated from above): Get a nice seat cushion and/or back cushion. Some of those ergonomic chairs, regardless of brand, can be $500-1000. A good cushion and back support can be $100, total, and might make you feel even better. I know once I got a cushion the hip pain I had been experiencing went away almost immediately.

Also, a good sit-to-stand desk. Example. I got one of these (Staples had the best price, last I looked) and it's fantastic. I can sit when I want, then go to standing when I want within about five seconds, and vice-versa. I recommend a low-fatigue floor mat to go along with it.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:51 pm

Humanscale Freedom Chair can be found on $300 on ebay often. It's the best chair I've ever used. Only 4 adjustments, back panel height, seat pan height, seat pan slide forward/back, and arms up/down. The back reclines with you as you lean back. Excellent.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:25 pm

Aeron.

Had mine since 1999? The perfect chair, for me anyway.

Don't see any reason why it wont last another 20 years.

Beck49

Post by Beck49 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:54 pm

+1 on Aeron. Had one at work for, forever, and bought one for the home office. If one ever broke I would definitely replace it with another. It's a very safe and reliable solution to your chair decision. With that said, the suggestion of the standing desk might have some appeal. I'm just not sure how you kick back at work and take a short nap. Good luck.

stereotaxis

Post by stereotaxis » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:58 pm

I would also look at the Steelcase Leap chair (version 1 and version 2 are both fine) and also Haworth's Zody chair which is not often recommended but my personal favorite.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:19 pm

The Aeron has a crossbar that digs into my thighs. Don’t just buy one without sitting in one first. Some people find them not comfortable at all.

My last corporate job used Herman Miller Celle chairs. They looked cheap and plasticky, but are apparently pretty expensive. A different feel than the Aeron chairs, and they worked better for a wider range of people than the Aeron chairs did.

My home office has a Smart Motion Swing Chair. Very comfortable, and less expensive than a lot of Herman Miller and Steelcase. I got mine for free from a guy who didn’t want to fix a broken part. I scavenged replacement parts from a random office chair I got at Goodwill for $20.

Mostly, though, go to a store and sit in some chairs. Chairs are like shoes. You need to find one that fits you.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:38 pm

Great, thanks all. Makes complete sense to try before buying.

What stores sell higher end chairs? My local staples only has chairs up to ~$300.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:41 pm

rocket354 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:40 pm

Also, a good sit-to-stand desk. Example. I got one of these (Staples had the best price, last I looked) and it's fantastic. I can sit when I want, then go to standing when I want within about five seconds, and vice-versa. I recommend a low-fatigue floor mat to go along with it.
Those seem nice. I stay active throughout the day and just do a couple hours of work behind a computer a day so I'm not looking for a standing desk, but something like that with versatility could be nice.

FraggleRock

Aeron, yes

Post by FraggleRock » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:05 pm

Aeron
15 years from the first one. Got the cost down below 5¢/hr. It finally died.
6+ years on the new one.
Last edited by FraggleRock on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chickadee

Post by chickadee » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:24 pm

I recently had my Steelcase Leap chair in for service at the ergonomic workspace place I purchased it. I sat in every (expensive) chair there while waiting. I was blown away by the comfort of this Uplift Pursuit chair and ended up buying it. Now my husband gets the Leap. And it’s only $329! The Uplift folks designed it themselves after selling all the big names for years.

https://www.thehumansolution.com/uplift ... chair.html

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:33 pm

I've had Aeron and Humanscale Freedom at the places I've worked.

I can't remember the Humanscale enough to compare it to the aeron, but I remember it being comfortable. I've been using Aeron for the last 3 years or so and love it. There could be better options, but I haven't really experimented much as I am extremely comfortable with the aeron, so no need to look elsewhere

Mike83

Post by Mike83 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:38 pm

Still using an Aeron chair I got ten years ago. Be aware you can get their models in sizes: small medium large. A nice option for different height users.

If you consider other chairs, make sure they are BIFMA certified (Business Ind Furniture Mfg Assn?) to assure it stands up to long term, everyday use.

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:13 pm

Another vote here for the Aeron chair. I suffered from lower back pain for years. Bought an aeron chair in 1999 and the back pain went away. It's getting up in age and may be time to get a new one. Tip: If you have lower back issues, get the model with the adjustable lumbar support. I tried the other model with the wishbone support and the back pain returned. As previously mentioned, they come in A, B and C sizes. Here is a guide to determining the best fit for you:

https://www.hermanmiller.com/content/da ... chairs.pdf
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:17 pm

I love my Aeron chair. As others said, get the right size for you. :-)

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:47 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:38 pm
Great, thanks all. Makes complete sense to try before buying.

What stores sell higher end chairs? My local staples only has chairs up to ~$300.
There’s a “back” store in my neighborhood that has all of them.

Also, most big cities have businesses that specialize in office ergonomics, that might or might not have a showroom for you to try stuff.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:01 am

I used an Aeron at a previous employers and really liked it - better than any chair I had used up until that time.

A few years ago, I needed to buy an office chair for home. I bought the $89 Costco office chair that has the mesh seat and mesh back and armrests that raise up out of the way (I think it is usually $120 or so, and goes on sale periodically).

The Costco chair is now my new favorite chair. Perhaps if I tried is next to an Aeron I would prefer the Aeron, but I spend hours working from the Costco chair with no issues.

QuentinCrisp

Post by QuentinCrisp » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:19 am

I have a bad back and tried many, including most of those mentioned here. I use HAG executive chairs at my office and home office. Like them so much I purchased HAG for all my offices and conference rooms. They can be pricey, but they are durable, have visual appeal that is unique, and they are great for my back. If you look into the others, I would suggest looking at HAG as well. Specifically, the HAG Inspiration and HAG Excellence (either in mesh or leather). Everyone in my office really likes them.
Quentin

shelanman

Post by shelanman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:54 am

I will absolutely second the standing desk. I have an electronically-adjustable sit-stand desk, and it's the best thing ever. I love it. I bought one of the "Jarvis" desks from Fully (Specifically, this one). I've had it for six months and it is fantastic. I move it at least once most days.

However, you probably still want a good chair. Aerons are nice, though not my favorite. Personally, I like some of the Steelcase chairs better -- a bit more padding, and less of a "waterfall" at the end of the seat pan. The V2 Leap is nice (and widely available), but I sit on a Gesture at work, which I like better.

On the other hand, you can probably find used V2 Leaps in great condition for under $500 (or, for that matter, used Aerons for a similar price), whereas you're probably stuck buying new and paying close to $1000 for a Gesture.

ShortInSeattle

Post by ShortInSeattle » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:58 pm

I was lucky enough to snag a used Aeron chair from someone who was downsizing. I paid $80 for it and it's the most comfortable office chair I've ever sat in. If it ever dies, I'll spring for a new one.

srt7

Post by srt7 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:52 am

I needed an office/work chair as well. After trying out multiple ones in Office Depot, Staples etc. I went with this one ...
https://www.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-T ... _SS2041594

Must's for me were mesh back and seat, lumbar support and under $300. This one checked all those boxes. In fact, Staples are running a special $100 off on this one (and many others) until tomorrow.

Now ... I just bought it so can't comment on the longevity etc. but as of now it feels REAL good to use. My lower back is having a great day! :D

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:55 am

fishmonger wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:22 am
Save the money and buy a stand up desk. I've had one for 3+ years and will never go back to sitting
Takes a bit of getting used to, but this is my recommendation as well. Likely better for your health and posture too, provided you move around enough.

Tyler Aspect

Post by Tyler Aspect » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:42 am

I saw some used Aeron chairs for sale at $500 dollars. I am looking to buy an office chair for my daughter.
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.

scooterdog

Post by scooterdog » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:11 pm

Used a cheap Staples chair for the past 2 years, and then had enough of the discomfort (and a move back to a home office) to spring for a used Aeron for $450.

Agree with others here, no comparison for me when I found a person off of CL who had the SteelCase and a few other high-end office chairs. Had a lot of selection and could have saved some by going for models w/o as many asjustments. See if you can find a local place to try them out first.

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:26 am

After getting 18+ years of use from my Aeron Chair, I learned that the Aeron has been redesigned and upgraded in 2016. I bought the new model and it arrived last Thursday. The new model with the remastered posturefit support makes for a much more comfortable chair and provides better back support. If anyone is thinking of buying a new Aeron Chair, I stronly suggest making sure it's the new model and not one of the older ones. I see a lot of new Aerons for sale online at very discounted prices. They are likely the older model. Caveat Emptor.

https://www.wired.com/2016/10/herman-mi ... ron-chair/
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.