Home voice dictation experience

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Mrxyz

Home voice dictation experience

Post by Mrxyz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:38 pm

Hi,
Due to various medical reasons (Parkinson's etc), a number of folks have asked me for advice regarding "Home voice dictation". Dragon -Nuance is one of them.
Any experience in using these? Is there one which works better than others?
Thanks

fabdog

Re: Home voice dictation experience

Post by fabdog » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:48 pm

Have used Dragon in the past. Goal was to reduce keyboard workload to reduce injuries. It works well once you get used to it. You need a decent microphone and a relatively quiet area... and then some practice... it will be a bit frustrating out of the box but after a few days using it you should be in good shape

Mike

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:20 pm

Mrxyz wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:38 pm
Hi,
Due to various medical reasons (Parkinson's etc), a number of folks have asked me for advice regarding "Home voice dictation". Dragon -Nuance is one of them.
Thanks
Would you describe your end use? I tried Dragon several years ago and found it difficult then. I'm sure its improved.

I do find the latest iteration of the Google Assistant, built into my new pixel phone, to be amazing to me in its ability to correctly transcribe my spoken words into emails, texts, etc.

edit: I just tried voice dictation in Google Docs on my chromebook. From a quick read it only works in a Chrome browser on IOS, PC or Chromebook. Launch Docs, click "tools", then "voice typing", click the mike icon on the side and start. It seems to work very well.

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/4492226?hl=en

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:53 pm

heartwood wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:20 pm
Mrxyz wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:38 pm
Hi,
Thanks
Would you describe your end use? I tried Dragon several years ago and found it difficult then. I'm sure its improved.

I do find the latest iteration of the Google Assistant, built into my new pixel phone, to be amazing to me in its ability to correctly transcribe my spoken words into emails, texts, etc.

edit: I just tried voice dictation in Google Docs on my chromebook. From a quick read it only works in a Chrome browser on IOS, PC or Chromebook. Launch Docs, click "tools", then "voice typing", click the mike icon on the side and start. It seems to work very well.

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/4492226?hl=en

So the end users are elderly (>60-70 year old) folks, some with typing issues due to medical conditions like Parkinson's.
BTW, I use Dragon at work without much problem for many years. And I have not used Google Assistant at all.

Thanks

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:34 pm

My wife uses a Dragon for her work in the medical profession. Once she got her dragon trained, it has worked quite well.

gretah

Post by gretah » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:33 am

I don't know if this will do what you need but

I recently saw a demo of a website subscription service for writers and speech makers in which you download an app your smartphone and use it to dictate into your account. Program turns dictation into text in blocks for you to edit and move around.

www.Speare.com

They have a free level and a $9/mo level.

I was pretty impressed and will use it to write my current book.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:36 am

Google Documents has built in voice dictation that works great. And it's free.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:21 am

My Mac Air has excellent dictation ability. I open a blank doc, then click on edit, and the drop down menu lets me select dictation.

strafe

Post by strafe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:42 am

The (free) voice dictation built into Mac OS X works well. I certainly would not buy a third party product without trying it first.