Paying for news?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Maya1234

Re: Paying for news?

Post by Maya1234 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:44 pm

I know I'm an outlier but I pay for my news. I am. A voracious reader of news and subscribe to the WSJ, Washington Post, LA Times, and Ny Times. I feel each is a purchase well worth the price. The one newspaper I would subscribe to if reasonably priced but feel is just vastly overpriced is The Boston Globe.

PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:57 pm

Former newspaper reporter here (large East Coast daily). Parts of this thread sure are depressing. I am sad that some folks feel it is "not worth their time" to read what I consider to be outstanding coverage in the New York Times, Washington Post, and so many other professional outlets. For the record, we happily pay for subscriptions to the New York Times, Seattle Times, Washington Post (electronic), and about six or seven magazines. We used to subscribe to the Wall Street Journal and we're going to take another look at restarting that one.

There are so many misconceptions about how newsrooms actually work and what investigative reporting involves. I don't know where to begin. My former newspaper colleagues are some of the best, hardest working, and most dedicated professionals I have ever known. If you can find a way to pay something, that would be great. Otherwise please just read widely.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:38 pm

PugetSoundguy wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:57 pm
There are so many misconceptions about how newsrooms actually work and what investigative reporting involves. I don't know where to begin. My former newspaper colleagues are some of the best, hardest working, and most dedicated professionals I have ever known. If you can find a way to pay something, that would be great. Otherwise please just read widely.
I do my part by reading and recommending Rick Mofina books. :) He writes thrillers about newspaper reporters solving crimes in the West and Pacific Northwest. I like seeing reporters as the "heros" in these books.

I have other things to say, but I've said them in other threads. I just wanted to give a plug to top-notch crime reporters Tom Reed of the San Francisco Star and Jason Wade of the Seattle Mirror -- both fictional. ;)

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:43 pm

knightrider wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:59 am
I get most of my news through Facebook...
Are you sure...? :D

I pay. It used to irk me; however, for the past year I've been very proud to pay for my news, and to support the organizations that accurately report it.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:11 pm

I pay for WSJ print and digital. I’ve been reading the WSJ since 1987. Reading the print edition is my daily lunch activity. The print version is expensive, although they have good deals for gift subscriptions for new subscribers.

I’m traveling and was shocked to pay $4 for Mondays print WSJ edition at Safeway. Perhaps I’ll stick with digital for the rest of this trip.

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:15 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:42 am
Have you looked at FB's earnings recently? You should be asking them to pay you because you are the product. You're a captive consumer on their platform where they can serve you an unending number of advertisements. 8-)
FB has gotten good enough that the sheep lead themselves to slaughter now.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:10 pm

I subscribe to the WSJ paper edition.
I may go to digital as I tire of recycling the piles of paper (but the plastic sleeves are great for daily cleaning up of doggie mess in the yard).

We also have about 11 magazine subscriptions. Not sure how many of them I would qualify as news vs purely entertainment.

IMO

Post by IMO » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:28 pm

knightrider wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:59 am
I get most of my news through Facebook by "liking" the various news outlets pages. I feel guilty not paying for any of it. Occasionally some news site will say I reached my 10 free articles /month limit and ask me to sign up for some $1/month subscription.

I have no problem paying that but it is such a nuisance to sign up for something so cheap. I can't be bothered going through a complex registration process so I can give them $1/month. And if I do that for dozens of news sites it is all the more a nuisance.

I am wondering what is a better way to pay for news? Or should I just enjoy the articles for free and not feel guilty about it?
Just about everything on the internet is paid via advertisers. That's basically a primary factor in most blogger's goal, to start collecting advertising revenues. News sites are no different. Do you feel guilty about watching youtube videos? Just go shopping for something on the internet, then watch how miraculously all the ads seem to be geared towards what you had shopped earlier.

msi

Post by msi » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:55 am

I've been paying for WSJ digital, but not sure if I'm going to renew. I can't stand the op-ed section, and I think Bloomberg would work well enough.

I also used to subscribe to Barron's but haven't in years.

raamakoti

Post by raamakoti » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:10 am

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:07 pm

Halicar wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:33 pm
But it costs money to operate subways, and if everybody jumped the turnstyles, the subway would very quickly shut down. Or in your example, the only reason you can watch the movie for free is because everyone else pays for it. As I recall, Kant had a few things to say about this...
Well I agree with you there, categorically.
Stay on target...