Keurig died...what now?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bloom2708
Posts: 2921
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:41 pm

soupcxan wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:59 am
rec7 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:47 am
mouses wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:46 am
Aren't the cups those things use environmental disasters?
True but think of all the plastic in your car.
Do you typically drive your car once and then throw it away?
I do not think that was the point. If you stopped doing things or buying things because it was "bad for the environment", you could not leave your house or even own a house.

You couldn't get a bag (plastic or other) from any store. Buy anything that wasn't 100% recyclable. Do you not own a Keurig, yet do you have garbage? Bad for the environment.

If those little plastic cups make the difference between salvation and the opposite. I'm afraid we aren't gonna make it. :wink:
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

AllenSmith
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by AllenSmith » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:45 pm

denovo wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:56 pm
livesoft wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:42 pm
Give up drinking coffee altogether. That's the cheapest option.

Some banks and Trader Joe's give free coffee. You can go every day for $0.
Go to bank every day for a free k-cup....come on :shock:

Rupert
Posts: 2718
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by Rupert » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:11 pm

rec7 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:47 am
mouses wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:46 am
Aren't the cups those things use environmental disasters?
True but think of all the plastic in your car.
Hmmm, it appears you have fallen victim to the "searching for perfect solutions fallacy."

rec7
Posts: 2210
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:22 pm
Location: ST LOUIS

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by rec7 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:47 pm

soupcxan wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:59 am
rec7 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:47 am
mouses wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:46 am
Aren't the cups those things use environmental disasters?
True but think of all the plastic in your car.
Do you typically drive your car once and then throw it away?
No but think of how many of those it would take to make the plastic in your car? I am guessing it would take years to make the bumper.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

Theseus
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:40 am

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by Theseus » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:56 pm

dwickenh wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:02 am
OK, I am going to share how a real cheapskate drinks coffee. I buy these(niceeshop(TM) Disposable Drawstring Seal Filter Empty Paper Tea Bags (White,M Size,Set of 100) and put my own folgers coffee into the bag- one tablespoon. I then microwave the water and teabag for 2m 55sec in a coffee cup. I am able to reuse the bag up to 3 times each morning. Total cost per cup is about 8 cents if reused twice.

Call me cheap(my wife does all the time)

Dan
Dan

I am amazed!!! That is unbelievable amount of savings from % standpoint if you are regular coffee drinker let alone Starbucks or Peet's drinker. Don't you loose coffee taste after first use? I can tell the difference between espresso and a long coffee. For me even the regular long coffee tastes diluted. So for my Mocha or Cappuccino drink I use 2-3 shots of espresso than a long coffee.

User avatar
dwickenh
Posts: 828
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:45 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by dwickenh » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:06 pm

Theseus wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:56 pm
dwickenh wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:02 am
OK, I am going to share how a real cheapskate drinks coffee. I buy these(niceeshop(TM) Disposable Drawstring Seal Filter Empty Paper Tea Bags (White,M Size,Set of 100) and put my own folgers coffee into the bag- one tablespoon. I then microwave the water and teabag for 2m 55sec in a coffee cup. I am able to reuse the bag up to 3 times each morning. Total cost per cup is about 8 cents if reused twice.

Call me cheap(my wife does all the time)

Dan
Dan

I am amazed!!! That is unbelievable amount of savings from % standpoint if you are regular coffee drinker let alone Starbucks or Peet's drinker. Don't you loose coffee taste after first use? I can tell the difference between espresso and a long coffee. For me even the regular long coffee tastes diluted. So for my Mocha or Cappuccino drink I use 2-3 shots of espresso than a long coffee.
I have to be honest, coffee is coffee to me. I don't prefer it strong to start with and yes it is a little weaker with each cup, but not distasteful.

The bags are less than 4 cents each, the coffee I buy lasts months.

My wife does not drink coffee, otherwise this would never fly :twisted:

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 12096
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by Toons » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:14 pm

Everything wears out.
My keurig did,,,
I got another one with all the features I wanted.
I suggest you do the same .



You Only Live Once
Enjoy :happy :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

soupcxan
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:54 am

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by soupcxan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:38 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by soupcxan on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
topper1296
Posts: 499
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:50 pm
Location: Nashville TN

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by topper1296 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:44 pm

I love the convenience of my Keurig, however I'll admit that I like the taste better out of my old Cuisinart brewer. If/when my Keuring dies on me, I'll prob switchback to old school coffee making.

itstoomuch
Posts: 4823
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: midValley OR

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by itstoomuch » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:51 pm

Burger King.
In my area, Senior' s 50cent coffee including refills. :greedy
I pay full price for the sausage biscuit @$1. :greedy
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

jcc
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:05 pm

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by jcc » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:42 pm

Take a look on Amazon and Target. Kitchenaid makes a coffee maker that can do a regular pot of coffee and K-cups. I've had it for a few weeks and love it and have had no issues with using the regular K-cups.

Liberty1100
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by Liberty1100 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:17 pm

I have a Keurig too and my favorite appliance, with an Instant Pot as a close second.

If I were you, I would stick with Keurig for the simple reason that k-cups can be found everywhere. You can get them at Dunkin, Starbucks, Bed Bath & Beyond (use a coupon!), Costco, Target, Walmart, and just about every chain grocery store. Maybe I am just fixated on K-cups, but I don't see any other pod-style makers have such a variety of flavors.

One thing is, depending on your water hardness and quality, Keurigs may need to be cleaned and descaled more often to keep it working. Some water conditions may require a carbon filter to be placed in the reservoir. The version (Keurig K575that I have reminds me to descale the Keurig every so often (I'm not sure if it is an amount of use based or calendar based, but I have heard to do it every six months. I flush the Keurig by filling the reservoir with vinegar and run cups of hot "water" until the vinegar is empty. I then fill with more water and run the remaining vinegar through the system as there is an internal "boiler" within the units that contain a large amount of liquid. I run it until there's no vinegar smell.

ThriftyPhD
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:43 am

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by ThriftyPhD » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:48 pm

Liberty1100 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:17 pm
If I were you, I would stick with Keurig for the simple reason that k-cups can be found everywhere. You can get them at Dunkin, Starbucks, Bed Bath & Beyond (use a coupon!), Costco, Target, Walmart, and just about every chain grocery store. Maybe I am just fixated on K-cups, but I don't see any other pod-style makers have such a variety of flavors.
Pod-style coffee flavors are like investment funds. While having a lot of options is nice, in the end you're better off with 1-3 great options rather than dozens of mediocre ones. :beer

To further abuse the analogy. Being able to buy pods at Dunkin, Starbucks, etc is like having an Edward Jones in every town. Sometimes it's better to just buy from the source (Vanguard.com == Nespresso.com). :mrgreen:

Valuethinker
Posts: 33384
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:30 pm

rec7 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:47 am
mouses wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:46 am
Aren't the cups those things use environmental disasters?
True but think of all the plastic in your car.
That's not good logic. Drunk driving will kill me so I should not give up smoking?

Doing X will only save 20 dollars. But I waste 100 dollars here so there is no point?

Anyways cars last an average of 13.5 years. And car recycling is an area that has made huge strides. In 1980 USA had C 40m junk cars piled up. Now it has nearly zero, the technology made such huge strides. Source: Adam Junto Junkyard Planet (really entertaining book btw)

dognose
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by dognose » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:40 pm

Good grief ... buy another Keurig machine and get on with your life.

rec7
Posts: 2210
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:22 pm
Location: ST LOUIS

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by rec7 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:30 pm
rec7 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:47 am
mouses wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:46 am
Aren't the cups those things use environmental disasters?
True but think of all the plastic in your car.
That's not good logic. Drunk driving will kill me so I should not give up smoking?

Doing X will only save 20 dollars. But I waste 100 dollars here so there is no point?

Anyways cars last an average of 13.5 years. And car recycling is an area that has made huge strides. In 1980 USA had C 40m junk cars piled up. Now it has nearly zero, the technology made such huge strides. Source: Adam Junto Junkyard Planet (really entertaining book btw)
I see your point but today everything is made out of plastic. Razors, pens you name it.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

Liberty1100
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by Liberty1100 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:18 pm

ThriftyPhD wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:48 pm
Liberty1100 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:17 pm
If I were you, I would stick with Keurig for the simple reason that k-cups can be found everywhere. You can get them at Dunkin, Starbucks, Bed Bath & Beyond (use a coupon!), Costco, Target, Walmart, and just about every chain grocery store. Maybe I am just fixated on K-cups, but I don't see any other pod-style makers have such a variety of flavors.
Pod-style coffee flavors are like investment funds. While having a lot of options is nice, in the end you're better off with 1-3 great options rather than dozens of mediocre ones. :beer

To further abuse the analogy. Being able to buy pods at Dunkin, Starbucks, etc is like having an Edward Jones in every town. Sometimes it's better to just buy from the source (Vanguard.com == Nespresso.com). :mrgreen:
You can also buy the K-cups from Keurig.com.

User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 34327
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by nisiprius » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:38 pm

A mild negative vote, or at least a caution, on the Technivorm Moccamaster (which is a filter-cone drip coffeemaker, not a K-cup unit). We've had ours for perhaps twelve years, it makes really good coffee, and the main unit seems solid and must have a bigger heater coil because it boils the water more quickly and makes the coffee faster than standard drip coffeemakers.

But. In twelve years we've had to replace the plastic cone, which looks just like a cheap plastic Melitta cone but a cheap plastic Melitta cone won't fit, and the Technivorm replacement cost $16. Then the little valve at the bottom quit working, and I couldn't stand the cost of replacing it again, so I ripped it out with pliers and live with the exit hole of the cone always at full open. Then the thermal carafe lost its insulating qualities--I'm not sure why, there wasn't the jingle-and-hiss you get when you destroy a Thermos bottle--and we bought another one for $100. But, the carafe comes WITHOUT A STOPPER and the old stopper we had didn't fit, so we bought a stopper for another $15. The thin brown plastic lid on the cone developed a network of crazes and cracks and then suddenly split down the middle. I patched it together with superglue, which has held for over a year. I'm not quite sure what we'll do when it splits again. What I mean to say is the main unit is solid but the appurtenances are cheesy and short-lived, and, unfortunately, living in the United States it costs a fortune to get replacements.

Our grandson kept talking about our having an "airport" in our kitchen and we couldn't figure out what he meant, until we realized that the heating unit Technivorm looks just like an airport control tower.

Image
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

denovo
Posts: 3524
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by denovo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:21 pm

AllenSmith wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:45 pm
denovo wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:56 pm
livesoft wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:42 pm
Give up drinking coffee altogether. That's the cheapest option.

Some banks and Trader Joe's give free coffee. You can go every day for $0.
Go to bank every day for a free k-cup....come on :shock:
And then go to Costco for a free dinner from samples :twisted:

koozie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by koozie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:18 pm

There seems to be an epidemic of Keurigs suddenly breaking this week. Weird.

JDP
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:39 am

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by JDP » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:23 pm

Teague wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:51 am
You could try calling Keurig support:

1 (866) 901-2739

I've done this in the past and they have replaced, free, machines that were years out of warranty. No charge for shipping either. I have no idea if they still will do this.
Second this.

I called customer service a couple years back to inquire about parts to fix a broken Keurig that was a year past its warranty. I explained its issues and surprisingly the rep offered to replace it for free. I was kind of blown away because someone else had bought this for my girlfriend, so we had no proof of purchase or anything else. All I gave them was the old machine's serial number and our address, and they mailed us a new one. One of the best customer service experiences that I've ever had. :D

Atilla
Posts: 1173
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by Atilla » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:44 pm

Buy another Keurig if crappy, expensive, convenient coffee is your thing. But buy distilled water for 69 cents a gallon and only use that. The machine will last forever.

It's what I use for my kicka$# Italian-made espresso machine that I have never had to clean, except externally with a wet rag.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

technovelist
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by technovelist » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:25 am

JDP wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:23 pm
Teague wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:51 am
You could try calling Keurig support:

1 (866) 901-2739

I've done this in the past and they have replaced, free, machines that were years out of warranty. No charge for shipping either. I have no idea if they still will do this.
Second this.

I called customer service a couple years back to inquire about parts to fix a broken Keurig that was a year past its warranty. I explained its issues and surprisingly the rep offered to replace it for free. I was kind of blown away because someone else had bought this for my girlfriend, so we had no proof of purchase or anything else. All I gave them was the old machine's serial number and our address, and they mailed us a new one. One of the best customer service experiences that I've ever had. :D
That's because they lose money on the machines. The cups are where they make all their money.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.

Valuethinker
Posts: 33384
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: Keurig died...what now?

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:35 am

rec7 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:14 pm
Valuethinker wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:30 pm
rec7 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:47 am
mouses wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:46 am
Aren't the cups those things use environmental disasters?
True but think of all the plastic in your car.
That's not good logic. Drunk driving will kill me so I should not give up smoking?

Doing X will only save 20 dollars. But I waste 100 dollars here so there is no point?

Anyways cars last an average of 13.5 years. And car recycling is an area that has made huge strides. In 1980 USA had C 40m junk cars piled up. Now it has nearly zero, the technology made such huge strides. Source: Adam Junto Junkyard Planet (really entertaining book btw)
I see your point but today everything is made out of plastic. Razors, pens you name it.
But that does not justify me using more disposable plastic bags, or plastic water bottles, than absolutely necessary.

What you are saying, I think, is that not using Keurig cups is a small virtue. Agreed.

But I cannot determine how much plastic there is in my car (and it has advantages over heavier metals, say) or my phone. And cars do get recycled (although doubtless not all the plastic).

But i do have discretion over use of many one-off plastic items: I can reduce utilization.

The UK has managed to drop disposable plastic bag use by something like 85% just by introducing a 5p (cents) charge. It's not so much the cost, it is that it is a constant reminder that we don't need all these plastic bags when we shop.

That's several *billion* fewer plastic bags that go into landfill, and often wind up in the sea. Killing sea turtles and birds, and contaminating the food chain.

That's one country with a medium sized economy, not larger than California in GDP.

If we could do that with Nespresso and Keurig and other cups, that would be several billion that don't go into landfill and find their way into water bodies, and eventually the food chain. Or, we might force manufacturers to make ones which are biodegradable.

We are on a very big journey to not drown ourselves in our own effluent on this planet. Such a journey will require big steps.

But it will also require small ones.

Post Reply