Getting a Margaritaville beverage maker repaired.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
OnFire

Getting a Margaritaville beverage maker repaired.

Post by OnFire » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:40 pm

My wife bought a Margaritaville frozen beverage concoction maker off of Craigslist for $100. I believe it’s the Key West model, which retails on Amazon for $250. During a party, and after a few margaritas, I accidentally added a big chunk of ice to the bowl and it promptly got stuck halfway into the machine and proceeded to strip the gears out of it. It will turn on, but nothing happens once the motor starts turning.

I emailed the company with no luck. I’ve called the 1-800 number, and got an idiot who told me without a proof of purchase I can’t get the machine serviced, and there are no local shops near Chicago who could repair it. I tried calling the Canadian service number but I get rerouted back to Stateside and the idiot. I’m pretty handy and tried open got to see if there was something obvious and easily fixable, but there are tamper proof screws holding it together and I don’t have that particular tool.

I called a local fix all place half an hour away and they wanted $59 with no guarantee of any kind of success. Any suggestions of how to repair it? We did use it once every month or two and liked it. I hate to throw away a $250 machine because I have no receipt and can’t get one.
Where are all the customers yachts? | | “The most powerful force in the Universe is compound interest.” -Albert Einstein

Re: Getting a Margaritaville beverage maker repaired.

Post by 123 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:47 pm

Did you look at replacements parts online? http://www.margaritavillecargo.com/repl ... /key-west/

Does the gear casing connection turn when the motor is on so that you could just get a new jar assembly with collar and blades?

Next time it might be a good idea to have a "designated mixer" who refrains from imbibing.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

OnFire

Post by OnFire » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:23 am

Nah, this is a worst case scenario. It’s obvious that the stripped gear is internal. The jar doesn’t have any blades. I did check the parts on the website. None of is applicable. Just ice resivoirs,
spare jars, etc. I do appreciate the suggestions.
Where are all the customers yachts? | | “The most powerful force in the Universe is compound interest.” -Albert Einstein

Pixafari

Post by Pixafari » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:13 am

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:41 am

Time to learn how to tinker. Your only options appear to be to take it apart, find the broken piece, and see if you can fix it or to buy a new one. If you send it to the fix it place, they will try the first option but might have better tools to fix it. If you can get it apart for them they will at least have a better idea of whether they can fix it and might not charge you the $59 just to try.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:47 pm

Sell it to someone who can fix it for $35 and then it’s only a $65 mistake.

It’s just not worth it.

JT