buying a tux - any experience with Indichino?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
informal guide

buying a tux - any experience with Indichino?

Post by informal guide » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:11 pm

For 40 years, I've made do with the tux I bought in a NYC thrift shop - -I wear it 1-3 times a year. But it has outlived its life.

I need to look good for a family wedding. Anyone have experience on buying a tux from Indochino? Views on value for around $500?

user5027

Re: buying a tux - any experience with Indichino?

Post by user5027 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:37 pm

I got one 6 years ago from myowntuxedo.com and am happy with it.

I think it was used jacket and pants and two new shirts and a tie.

Ragnoth

Post by Ragnoth » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:02 pm

I bought a suit from their NYC store. They have a person that measures you up. Based on that, they prepare the suit. You come in a second time, and they will proceed to measure you up again and do the alterations. It's the same as the "at-home" process except you have somebody to measure you and they supply a tailor to do the alterations.

I like a more traditionally cut suit, but it came out a little misshapen and short in the coat. It's "semi-custom" since they have a set pattern, and the whole measuring process is really just intended to get you "close" to the true size (e.g., if you would wear a 42 long, it will try to fit you into their equivalent of a 42 long right off the bat).

I wouldn't say that the end product was any better than having a tailor personalize a decent suit off the rack. I wouldn't do it again, but I suppose it can be worthwhile if you want to have the fun of getting measured up for a "custom" suit, or if you have trouble finding decently sized suits because you are particularly big/tall/unconventionally proportioned. For the effort and the price-point, I would rather pick something up at suit-supply.

nyclon

Post by nyclon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:27 pm

informal guide wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:11 pm
For 40 years, I've made do with the tux I bought in a NYC thrift shop - -I wear it 1-3 times a year. But it has outlived its life.

I need to look good for a family wedding. Anyone have experience on buying a tux from Indochino? Views on value for around $500?
Try Charles Tyrwhitt as well

informal guide

Post by informal guide » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:21 am

Thanks for the perspectives!

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:23 am

I went through a place called Buy4LessTuxedo this past May. It was a great experience.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:25 am

I bought my tux off the rack at J.C. Penny about ten years ago and wear it about the same number of times per year. It has held up very well and shows no signs of wear yet. Note that I only get it dry cleaned and never run it through the washer and dryer.

LawyersGunsAndMoney

Post by LawyersGunsAndMoney » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:50 am

Indochino is fine - though would probably not go this route if you don't live near a showroom that can professionally measure you. Generally these mail-order custom shops have gotten much better over the last 5 years, but you can still run into problems every now and again (e.g. the Combatant Gentlemen wedding tux snafu last summer where they couldn't deliver on their orders, or an experience a friend of mind had in the mid 2000s ordering custom shirts where some poor worker in a factory in China sewed 2 pockets onto the same side of a dress shirt, one above another.

I'd also look at some dept stores, discount stores that have good labels (like Century21 or the old Filene's Basement), or other mens stores - if you can fine something that looks good off the rack, and fits your frame with only minimal tailoring - that's going to be a good option.

Would also make sure to put effort into getting a good looking/good value bowtie, shirt, and shoes. Once you get a tux that fits well, the devil is in the details.