Laptop from Costco - Chase Freedom/AMEX

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FB01

Laptop from Costco - Chase Freedom/AMEX

Post by FB01 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi,

I am planning to buy laptop from Costco Online. I can use either AMEX and Chase Freedom online. Based on the extended warranty, which one is the card that I should use so that I can better coverage for my laptop

- Chase Freedom
-AMEX Blue

Thanks,

JR

Jags4186

Re: Laptop from Costco - Chase Freedom/AMEX

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:02 pm

FB01 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:56 pm
Hi,

I am planning to buy laptop from Costco Online. I can use either AMEX and Chase Freedom online. Based on the extended warranty, which one is the card that I should use so that I can better coverage for my laptop

- Chase Freedom
-AMEX Blue

Thanks,

JR
Chase Freedom gives you price protection and 1 year extended warranty. AMEX gives you 1 year extended warranty and no price protection.

I’d use Chase.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:09 pm

Why not get the Citi Costco Visa? It gives you the longest warranty. I believe 4 years.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:09 pm

FB01 wrote:
Hi,

- Chase Freedom
-AMEX Blue

Thanks,

JR
Did you see something on their web site that indicated you could use AmEx? There was a big kerfuffle between Costco and American Express, Costco terminated their partnership and won't accept them in the stores. I just tried placing a small order online with costco.com using my AmEx, they wouldn't accept it.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:28 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:09 pm
FB01 wrote:
Hi,

- Chase Freedom
-AMEX Blue

Thanks,

JR
Did you see something on their web site that indicated you could use AmEx? There was a big kerfuffle between Costco and American Express, Costco terminated their partnership and won't accept them in the stores. I just tried placing a small order online with costco.com using my AmEx, they wouldn't accept it.
Yup.

https://www.costco.com/online-shopping.html#payment

“Costco.com accepts the following credit cards: VISA, MasterCard, Discover, and the Costco credit card.“

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:31 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:28 pm
oldcomputerguy wrote:
FB01 wrote:
Hi,

- Chase Freedom
-AMEX Blue

Thanks,

JR
Yup.

https://www.costco.com/online-shopping.html#payment

“Costco.com accepts the following credit cards: VISA, MasterCard, Discover, and the Costco credit card.“
But no AmEx. That’s what I thought.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:36 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Why not get the Citi Costco Visa? It gives you the longest warranty. I believe 4 years.
Alexa9,

1) Do I have to do anything to get this extended warranty?

2) Does this apply to other appliance such as humidifier?

KlangFool

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:25 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:36 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Alexa9,

KlangFool
I don’t know the answer, but I am curious, too, so I googled:

https://www.costco.com/concierge-two-pl ... ?langId=-1

seems to be the four year warranty program. Need to read through the details and decide if I want the Costco Visa card (been thinking about it anyway).

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:33 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:25 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:36 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Alexa9,

KlangFool
I don’t know the answer, but I am curious, too, so I googled:

https://www.costco.com/concierge-two-pl ... ?langId=-1

seems to be the four year warranty program. Need to read through the details and decide if I want the Costco Visa card (been thinking about it anyway).
TravelGeek,

To be precise, it is 2 extra years warranty beyond the manufacturer or extended warranty. Costco extended the normal manufacturer warranty to 2 years.

KlangFool

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:42 pm

Besides knowing the length of the extended warranty period, knowing how strict or lenient the insurers are is also important. I was just reimbursed for the entire purchase price of a Hisense tablet for just the trouble of filing an online claim. The tablet was 18 months old and out of the manufacturer’s one year warranty period, but in the extra year of my Hilton Honors AmEx extended warranty. Granted, the tablet was only about $70, but they didn’t ask any questions and took my word for it that it wouldn’t hold a charge. In my experience, the AmEx extended warranty service has been great. I can’t say the same for the Visa program.