IPHONE 8, X

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
HerbRight

IPHONE 8, X

Post by HerbRight »

hi, is the iPhone X worth the $$$ or the 8 is good enough??
PFInterest

Re: IPHONE 8, X

Post by PFInterest »

depends. do you need the things the X does? if not then no.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

In my opinion neither is worth the price. But I'm a bad judge of what makes a good phone. I just upgraded to a $1 LG X Charge.
Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne »

I wanted a new phone and settled on the 8 Plus. I'm very pleased with it. It's fast and the camera (not me) produces stunning photos. I do like the aspect ration of the screen on the X but I try to avoid buying first versions of anything. I also don't need facial recognition.
pochax

Post by pochax »

hard facts:
iphone X has larger, arguably nicer (OLED vs. LCD) display, face ID (no touch ID), animojis, and optical image stabilization (OIS) in both cameras (iphone 8 plus has OIS has it in only one of the 2 cameras, iphone 8 only has one camera period (with OIS)).

not-so-hard facts:
8/8 plus look like 7/7 plus which look like 6s/6s plus which look like 6/6 plus. iphone X is looks altogether different so if you want to impress your friends, iphone X is the way to go.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I decided on the X for a couple of reasons, but it was a close call:

I held my iPhone 6 up next to the X, and it wasn't much smaller. The available screen size on the X is larger, and eventually more apps will use the real estate. I've been wanting more screen real estate, but am not comfortable with an 8Plus.

I have started taking more and more photos on my phone and leaving my DSLR home, and the X has a great camera.

I am convinced, by store personnel and comments here, that losing TouchID wasn't going to be a problem, and that swiping in place of a physical home button is easy.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

HerbRight wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:29 pm hi, is the iPhone X worth the $$$ or the 8 is good enough??
You must provide more information, as it depends on what you’re interested in. There are a lot of reviews comparing the two if you want a fully featured analysis.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

pochax wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:49 pm hard facts:
iphone X has larger, arguably nicer (OLED vs. LCD) display, face ID (no touch ID), animojis, and optical image stabilization (OIS) in both cameras (iphone 8 plus has OIS has it in only one of the 2 cameras, iphone 8 only has one camera period (with OIS)).

not-so-hard facts:
8/8 plus look like 7/7 plus which look like 6s/6s plus which look like 6/6 plus. iphone X is looks altogether different so if you want to impress your friends, iphone X is the way to go.
The screen is larger, by diagonal measurement/whatever they use, but it doesn't seem as large for practical uses. It puts a black frame on either side of whatever you're viewing in landscape mode. Seems like the Plus gives more usable screen real estate.

If you want to watch content like Netflix, Hulu, or iTunes, I think the Plus might be a better choice.
pochax

Post by pochax »

kjvmartin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:40 pm The screen is larger, by diagonal measurement/whatever they use, but it doesn't seem as large for practical uses. It puts a black frame on either side of whatever you're viewing in landscape mode. Seems like the Plus gives more usable screen real estate.

If you want to watch content like Netflix, Hulu, or iTunes, I think the Plus might be a better choice.
it's only a matter of time before app developers adapt to the new 18:9 ratio on displays. the fact that Apple, Samsung, Google, LG, and almost every newly released phone have moved or are moving to the new ratio, means developers will follow suit. this problem will be solved over time.
Raladic

Post by Raladic »

The X gives you a bigger screen in a smaller form factor since there is basically no bezel on any side.

FaceID also works really well and I don't miss the fingerprint sensor.

Some apps have not yet updated to the new screen, so they show a black bar at the bottom, but a lot of apps have been updated in the last week to make full use of the screen.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

I went from a 6 to an 8. I don't need what the X offers. My 8 is working fine for my needs.
Best Wishes, | Joe
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

pochax wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:45 pm
kjvmartin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:40 pm The screen is larger, by diagonal measurement/whatever they use, but it doesn't seem as large for practical uses. It puts a black frame on either side of whatever you're viewing in landscape mode. Seems like the Plus gives more usable screen real estate.

it's only a matter of time before app developers adapt to the new 18:9 ratio on displays. the fact that Apple, Samsung, Google, LG, and almost every newly released phone have moved or are moving to the new ratio, means developers will follow suit. this problem will be solved over time.
Therefore, over time, I might like an iPhone X. Right now, I like a Plus. Can you watch Netflix on the new ratio display without using some kind of black bars on the edge or top & bottom?
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

Raladic wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:36 pm The X gives you a bigger screen in a smaller form factor since there is basically no bezel on any side.

FaceID also works really well and I don't miss the fingerprint sensor.

Some apps have not yet updated to the new screen, so they show a black bar at the bottom, but a lot of apps have been updated in the last week to make full use of the screen.
It puts an artificial bezel on the sides in the native TV app watching an iTunes show. The amount of screen space for viewing content is smaller than the iPhone 8 Plus.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

HerbRight wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:29 pm hi, is the iPhone X worth the $$$ or the 8 is good enough??
To keep this actionable, are you looking to buy an iPhone 8 or X?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

The 8 is definately good enough.

If you want a larger screen (relative to the 8) in a smaller size (relative to the 8 plus) or the simplicity of facial recognition (I would like that feature but didn't pay for it and settled on the 8 plus), then maybe the X is for you.

I have never gotten Apple Care before, but have a package this time since the back is glass for charging. It adds a little weight and I really fail to see why it's difficult to plug it in to charge ...

But the 8 over the 6 is great in terms of responsiveness. I definitely notice and appreciate the 8.

My six got broken so I needed to update. Maybe made a mistake getting an 8 for my wife and a SE is probably better for one hand for her. Thought she's like a little bigger screen because she's always scrolling around a newspaper app.

I don't really like the home button on the eight that much vs a real button. The haptic feedback makes me think my case is loose. That's what broke on my six so I can see why they ditched the actual button.

Anyway, I use google translate a lot with the camera function to do instant translate ( I mean I am filling out medical forms in a foreign language that I can't read) and it's much, much improved over the six. (minor flaws aside) Very, very, very happy with the 8 plus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cash

Post by Cash »

Not really sure why anyone would get an 8 over an X. If you want something cheaper than the X, get a 7/7+, which is about the same as an 8/8+, but significantly less expensive. If you want the latest technology, pay a bit more and get the X rather than pay a bit less to get essentially the same phone that's been around since 2014 (with modest upgrades).
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:01 pm
Was wondering the same thing.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Cash wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:17 am Not really sure why anyone would get an 8 over an X. If you want something cheaper than the X, get a 7/7+, which is about the same as an 8/8+, but significantly less expensive. If you want the latest technology, pay a bit more and get the X rather than pay a bit less to get essentially the same phone that's been around since 2014 (with modest upgrades).
It has the same processsor as the X, so if you want it to last longer through updates, the extra money might be worth it—especially if you don’t want the fancy X screen. That and wireless charging, which isn’t a big deal.
Cash

Post by Cash »

angelescrest wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:10 am
Cash wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:17 am Not really sure why anyone would get an 8 over an X. If you want something cheaper than the X, get a 7/7+, which is about the same as an 8/8+, but significantly less expensive. If you want the latest technology, pay a bit more and get the X rather than pay a bit less to get essentially the same phone that's been around since 2014 (with modest upgrades).
It has the same processsor as the X, so if you want it to last longer through updates, the extra money might be worth it—especially if you don’t want the fancy X screen. That and wireless charging, which isn’t a big deal.
Sure, but someone who values the latest processor would seem to me to be someone who'd value the latest tech generally. It's not like the A10 is a slouch. If you want the latest tech, get the X. If you want a perfectly good, fast phone that will last several years, but don't value the latest tech, get the 7/7+.
pondering

Post by pondering »

The 8+ has the 1920 x 1080 screen size which matches all the other screens I use.
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
knpstr

Post by knpstr »

Cash wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:17 am Not really sure why anyone would get an 8 over an X.
My wife says because the X doesn't come in Gold or Rose Gold.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

I just upgrade from a 6S to the X. Worth the money? Yes.

I cycle thru phones every 2 years, so it came down to the 8 and X. While the dual cameras sold me on the X. Yes, they are available on the 7 and 8 however only in the + versions. Being a pocket carrier, there is no way a + is going to fit.

The X gave me the dual camera, in a smaller package and I'm happy to make the change.
pechy2925

Post by pechy2925 »

Took delivery of my X yesterday. I'm not blown away by this phone, but I don't think I would want to be. All I want with a phone is for it to be fast, useful, and convenient for me. I have no complaints and that's essentially what I look for I guess.
wander

Post by wander »

I will say something different. Iphone 7 is good enough for most people.
emoore

Post by emoore »

I'm looking at the same decision. The 8 or the X. The 8 plus is too big so that's out. For me it basically comes down to the fact that the 8 has black friday deals so I can get a $250 GiftCard whereas the X doesn't seem to have any deals. I'll take over a $500 savings to have the 8 vs. the X
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

I always buy one generation older than the cutting edge:
- 7 series is a great deal and still has good performance
- 8 series is as good as the X but much better value and still has a proper button
- X only if must have face recognition and animated emojis (ie. all your friends have one)

My son just bought a brand new 6, they are still being produced. Apple phones seem to be well supported so there's no clear reason to upgrade. I've played with the X but found the "bottom swipe" to be a poor substitute for the missing button, it's an awkward reach IMO. I like Plus sized phones for myself.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

emoore wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 am I'm looking at the same decision. The 8 or the X. The 8 plus is too big so that's out. For me it basically comes down to the fact that the 8 has black friday deals so I can get a $250 GiftCard whereas the X doesn't seem to have any deals. I'll take over a $500 savings to have the 8 vs. the X
Could you please expand on that?
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
emoore

Post by emoore »

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

I think the 8 is fine. I personally think "Face ID" is a solution in search of a problem, that the fingerprint sensor is better, and Apple's war on buttons has now gone too far.

The iPhone 8 is really more like an iPhone 6SSS, and the logical end of the line of the iPhone 6 design and form factor. Plus, t-mobile had a credit on my old iPhone 6 for $300, which made my net cost $400 for the 8. And, whatever the relative merits of the X vs 8, the X is the first gen of a new product line, so expect glitches, while I expect the iPhone 8, while perhaps a bit more staid, will deliver near perfect performance right out of the box. Since the 8 and X have the same cpu and the same memory, I expect the 8 will be very serviceable for a long time to come.
Cash

Post by Cash »

knpstr wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:10 am
Cash wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:17 am Not really sure why anyone would get an 8 over an X.
My wife says because the X doesn't come in Gold or Rose Gold.
Lol that was almost enough for my wife too, but I sold her on the silver.
Cash

Post by Cash »

chuckb84 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:12 am
I think the 8 is fine. I personally think "Face ID" is a solution in search of a problem, that the fingerprint sensor is better, and Apple's war on buttons has now gone too far.
Do you have an X? I have yet to hear anyone who actually owns one say that (unlike, say, the continued absence of the headphone jack). I don’t miss TouchID, and I especially don’t miss the home button. I wish my job would upgrade us from iPhone 7s so that I wouldn't have to deal with that button at all!
ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone »

Cash wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:41 am
chuckb84 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:12 am
Do you have an X? I have yet to hear anyone who actually owns one say that (unlike, say, the continued absence of the headphone jack). I don’t miss TouchID, and I especially don’t miss the home button. I wish my job would upgrade us from iPhone 7s so that I wouldn't have to deal with that button at all!
I've read a lot of personal reviews regarding the lack of the button. I think I've only read one where the person missed the button. If one really likes playing with buttons, there are still 3-4 on the sides of the iPhone X.

I'm waiting for my iPhone X but the wife got hers. One thing I really like about it that I haven't read here is it fits much better in my hand than the iPhone Plus sizes. When I go back and forth with both phones in my hand, my iPhone 7+ feels like a brick.

The iPhone X can be charged wirelessly if that matters to you.
Topic Author
HerbRight

Post by HerbRight »

angelescrest wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:08 am
LadyGeek wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:01 pm
Was wondering the same thing.
I want an X, but actually the main use is the camera... so don't really know if X takes better pics than 8 ... I HAVE a 6S plus...
I already tried SAMSUNG and after a year still couldn't get used to android...
Topic Author
HerbRight

Post by HerbRight »

Thanks for all your opinions... there are things that I have not considered in my first comparison...size, I have a 6SPLUS and it is too big, X has bigger screen than regular 6, 7, 8 but size is smaller than 6SPLUS... I LIKE THAT... and is seems that X does have a better camera....
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

The X camera is incomparably better than the 6S, but so is the 8's. I would get an X before I got an 8+, but you might consider the 8 if you're not opposed to going back down in screen size or the cost of the X makes you uncomfortable.
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
hoppy08520

Post by hoppy08520 »

Texanbybirth wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:52 am
emoore wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 am I'm looking at the same decision. The 8 or the X. The 8 plus is too big so that's out. For me it basically comes down to the fact that the 8 has black friday deals so I can get a $250 GiftCard whereas the X doesn't seem to have any deals. I'll take over a $500 savings to have the 8 vs. the X
emoore wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:11 am https://weeklyad.target.com/promotions? ... twa&page=4

From Targets black friday ad
Thanks for the heads up. Reading the fine print, I think (?) that you can get the gift card only if you also sign up for a new cellular plan as it talks about "qualified activation":
Target wrote:Get a guaranteed $250 gift card for iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus with purchase and activation of a Verizon Device Payment, AT&T Next, Sprint 24-Month Installments or Lease plan.
I interpret this to mean that if you just want to buy a phone paying full price and use the SIM card and contract you already have (which is what I'd want to do as I'm happy with my current AT&T plan), that this might not count as a "qualified activation." But I'm not sure. Googling more on this, I couldn't find any details.

I might try anyway though. I have a iPhone SE (which is an iPhone 5S body with iPhone 6S innards) and I've been wanting an iPhone 8 or X, but I just can't bear spending $1,000 for a phone and even the $700 price tag of the iPhone 8 is difficult to swallow. If I can actually get $250 off, I'd buy the iPhone 8.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

hoppy08520 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:59 pm
emoore wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:11 am https://weeklyad.target.com/promotions? ... twa&page=4

Thanks for the heads up. Reading the fine print, I think (?) that you can get the gift card only if you also sign up for a new cellular plan as it talks about "qualified activation":
Target wrote:Get a guaranteed $250 gift card for iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus with purchase and activation of a Verizon Device Payment, AT&T Next, Sprint 24-Month Installments or Lease plan.
I interpret this to mean that if you just want to buy a phone paying full price and use the SIM card and contract you already have (which is what I'd want to do as I'm happy with my current AT&T plan), that this might not count as a "qualified activation." But I'm not sure. Googling more on this, I couldn't find any details.

I might try anyway though. I have a iPhone SE (which is an iPhone 5S body with iPhone 6S innards) and I've been wanting an iPhone 8 or X, but I just can't bear spending $1,000 for a phone and even the $700 price tag of the iPhone 8 is difficult to swallow. If I can actually get $250 off, I'd buy the iPhone 8.
Target also has a $300 gift card with the Note 8, but it is "activation required." I suspect they get back their $300 through monthly fees. These days I'll only buy a phone if it is unlocked.
emoore

Post by emoore »

sunny_socal wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Target also has a $300 gift card with the Note 8, but it is "activation required." I suspect they get back their $300 through monthly fees. These days I'll only buy a phone if it is unlocked.
You don't have to be a new customer. You have to sign up for the 24 month 0% interest plan instead of paying for the phone outright. So the phone costs the same either way. The carriers want you to be on the plan so you don't up and leave quickly like you could if you paid for the phone outright. Doesn't make a difference to me since I plan on staying on the same carrier for a long time.
hoppy08520

Post by hoppy08520 »

emoore wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:19 pm

You don't have to be a new customer. You have to sign up for the 24 month 0% interest plan instead of paying for the phone outright. So the phone costs the same either way. The carriers want you to be on the plan so you don't up and leave quickly like you could if you paid for the phone outright. Doesn't make a difference to me since I plan on staying on the same carrier for a long time.
Thanks emoore, I hope you're right. I will probably trudge over to Target on Black Friday and try it out. If I can get a iPhone 8 for $449 after the $250 gift card instead of the $699 MSRP, without any hidden fees, then sign me up. I'm on a month-to-month AT&T contract and I don't really like signing up for long-term commitments, but I've been on AT&T for years now and I don't see changing that, so maybe I'll sign a new commitment for a "free" $250.
Last edited by hoppy08520 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

hoppy08520 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:24 pm
emoore wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:19 pm

Thanks emoore, I hope you're right. I will probably trudge over to Target on Black Friday and try it out. If I can get a iPhone 8 for $449 after the $250 gift card instead of the $699 MSRP, then sign me up.
I've not been on a payment plan for a phone: are you able to pay off these plans sooner? Like sign up for the plan, get your GC, then just pay it off in Dec or Jan?