Chromebook vs Windows 10?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
nycguy83

Chromebook vs Windows 10?

Post by nycguy83 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi all,
Looking for recommendations for a new laptop to supplement our Macbook Pro (my wife and I currently share).

We really just need something for web browsing so I was looking at cheap chromebooks. I then came across the Acer Aspire that runs Windows 10 and can't figure out which way to go.

We are looking for something under $350 and I think at least with 4gb of RAM and 32 GB SSD. I liked the Acer's because of the slightly larger screen sizes). If the Windows 10 device can run traditional MS office apps (not web apps) that would be a plus and something to consider.

Any recommendations?
Thanks!

Nyc10036

Re: Chromebook vs Windows 10?

Post by Nyc10036 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:07 pm

I have a Chromebook and I like it a lot for web surfing.

The cheap Windows 10 laptops come with 32 GB or 64 GB of hard drive. I doubt you will be able to install Office on it.

mxs

Post by mxs » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:27 pm

Can you link what you are looking at? I quickly found one listed at Target with a 500 GB HD.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:47 pm

Coming from Mac OS, you will probably not like Windows. ChromeOS is limited but nice and simple. I've had good luck with Acer Chromebooks. If you buy from Costco, I believe you have 90 days to return. Amazon holiday return policy allows you to return anything purchased since Nov 1 until January 31. So I'd buy a couple and keep the one you prefer.

cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:26 pm

Just took the dive into a Chromebook a few weeks ago, based on the price and also my (teenage) daughters' positive experience at school with them. For the money (less than $200 in my case) it's a good deal. All interaction is via the pre-installed Google Chrome browser, so the device is perfect for surfing the web and using web-based apps including Gmail. It's also small and light and has great battery life. Think of it basically like a tablet with a keyboard and touchpad, but without the tablet touchscreen.

You can't put Microsoft Office on it, but you can use Google's version of office for free via the browser. You can also export these to Office via another computer, and there's also a free Google Chrome add-in that allows you to open Office documents from within the browser.

Overall, it works out for me - if I need to do more heavy-duty stuff than web browsing or web-based applications, I'll use my desktop PC that has everything I need. But this thing works for about 80%+ of my need for a computer, which is all I need from a laptop.

Hope this helps!

meebers

Post by meebers » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:54 pm

There is always an option to install Chromium OS on a USB stick and run it off of the USB to test it or go ahead and permanently install it on the HDD/SSD https://9to5google.com/2016/02/17/never ... s-pc-macs/. I used an older computer and the install was uneventful. It remains the only system on that computer after install. Cost = $0.00 (free version) :sharebeer

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:13 pm

I have two Acer Chromebooks. I'm using one right now for this post. I use this one for Internet surfing, Email and occasional YouTube viewing. My older one is permanently HDMI cable attached to a HDTV so I can watch streaming sports events on the big screen. They're great for what I use them for, but I still use a Windows 7 PC as my main computer for financial processing and the like.

Another thing about Chromebooks is I don't worry about viruses or malware. Almost everything is done in the cloud so if there's a problem it's Googles problem. In fact, some times if I see a suspicious link on the PC I'll try it on the Chromebook first to see if it's legit.

I was a little leery of getting Acer computers, but thought I'd give them a chance because of the low price. I've been pleasantly surprised.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

nycguy83

Post by nycguy83 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:28 pm

This is all great advice. I will definitely go with a chromebook.

Just trying to decide between the Acer 14, 15 or Samsung 3. Hard to beat the Samsung 3 for $170!

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:33 pm

You’ll like the Chromebook a lot more than you’ll like trying to run Windows on 4 gb of RAM.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:35 pm

Samsung Chromebook Plus.

Cheap windows laptops are poor investments.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:48 pm

cockersx3 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:26 pm
Think of it basically like a tablet with a keyboard and touchpad, but without the tablet touchscreen.
That is a great analogy.

One thing to watch out for is that some of the low priced chromebooks and have pretty small or mediocre screens to keep the cost low. It would be good to see it in person instead of just buying one online that you have not seen.

Since you already use a Mac would an iPad work for what you need?

nycguy83

Post by nycguy83 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:07 pm

I already have an iPad Pro which I love.

It might seem a bit like overkill but we often find ourselves competing for the laptop will the full keyboard.

I’m zeroing in on the Asus 15 for ~$300

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:16 pm

I know nothing about Mac laptops, but I'm fairly confident that the experience isn't that much different than Windows laptops, except that it costs more.

Having gone through about a dozen or so Windows laptops, I can say for sure the frustration is the progression over time: stuff slows down, stuff stops working, and there is no room for more stuff.

Chromebooks take a completely different approach. The "system" is the Internet. The apps are on the web and the storage is in the cloud. The system doesn't slow down, because all the crap you might "install" do not drag down the performance. Stuff doesn't stop working, because the "version" you run and the "version' of your system are constantly updated.

I *LOVE* Chromebooks. In the old days, it took me weeks to move to a new laptop. I had to get the IT guys to make sure I had stuff installed the same on both machines, then I had to figure out how to move all my data to the right place to use the new machine. With a Chromebook, I literally just run it the first time and everything is the same as it was the last time I used the old machine. The Mac and Micro$oft stuff will eventually follow the same model. It's hard to be comfortable with for the first few hours, but once you get it, it is a dream. Oh, and by the way: It costs somewhere between 0.5x and 0.1x the cost of moving to a new Mac or PC.

Steve

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:56 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:35 pm
Cheap windows laptops are poor investments.
They're great for installing Linux on. :D

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:21 pm

I LOVE my chromebook too! And my wife loves hers. I got tired of keeping our Windows systems updated and dealing with security software, etc. With our Chromebooks there is none of that, they just work. Couple them with Google Wifi and you really have something! I can't say enough good about our Chromebooks, I'd never go back to Windows unless I went back to work (won't happen) and it was required by my employer.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

nycguy83

Post by nycguy83 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:31 pm

Which ones do you guys have?
FrugalInvestor wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:21 pm
I LOVE my chromebook too! And my wife loves hers. I got tired of keeping our Windows systems updated and dealing with security software, etc. With our Chromebooks there is none of that, they just work. Couple them with Google Wifi and you really have something! I can't say enough good about our Chromebooks, I'd never go back to Windows unless I went back to work (won't happen) and it was required by my employer.

rolandtorres

Post by rolandtorres » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:50 pm

black fri deals are almost upon us. You can get a Samsung Chromebook plus with a nice screen, touch enabled with a pen for $350 starting the 16th for instance. Shop around!

https://www.samsung.com/us/shop/black-friday/

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:53 pm

nycguy83 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:31 pm
Which ones do you guys have?
FrugalInvestor wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:21 pm
I have a newer Samsung Chromebook Plus. It is a fairly high end model costing about $449 that can use Android apps. The only downside in my mind is relatively poor battery life but for me it's worth the tradeoffs, one being a beautiful and bright touchscreen. The screen is 4x3 instead of more traditional 16x9 which I like better because it shows more of a web page. It also works very well for this particular model on which the screen can be fully rotated so it operates like a tablet. An upgrade is the Samsung Chromebook Pro for $499 and an excellent competitor with many of the same features is the Asus Chromebook Flip at $499. My wife is using an older Toshiba Chromebook 2. She wants one like mine now mainly because she like the screen. :oops:

But there are many other very capable and less expensive models for someone who doesn't value or won't use the features I have. One I often recommend (and have had an older model of) is the HP Chromebook 14 which ranges from $200 to $250.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:09 am

rolandtorres wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:50 pm
black fri deals are almost upon us. You can get a Samsung Chromebook plus with a nice screen, touch enabled with a pen for $350 starting the 16th for instance. Shop around!

Thanks for that link. My wife will be very pleased!! :D As I read it the special deal begins the 19th not the 16th though.

BL

Post by BL » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:17 am

I had a small Samsung Chromebook for 5+ years and was very happy with it. It started having minor problems so I replaced it with a cheap ASUS drop-proof student one, which works great. Was also considering a more expensive model, but decided my Ipad covered any extra things I wanted.

I did replace it earlier with a beautiful large Acer, but it died at 3 weeks, so I returned it and decided I didn't want that brand.

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:39 am

My wife has had a chromebook for several years. It's perfect for her, and has been so much less of a headache to be tech support for me.

I strongly recommend one for internet browsing for anyone.

That being said, a couple of downsides (not at all dealbreakers vs all the benefits) -
- some issues playing specific media file types from a usb stick in the past
- some problems logging into hotel wifi that have an authorization page (I wasn't there, so could be user error)
- some problems on a couple of streaming services that wanted Windows or another browser (DirectTV Now I believe is an example) - solvable with a user agent workaround after some googling

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:29 am

nycguy83 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:07 pm
I already have an iPad Pro which I love.
How about just adding a Bluetooth keyboard?
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:57 am

rolandtorres wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:50 pm

It's a steal for that price. QHD is better than just "nice" it's even better than an Apple Retina display.

+1 check out the Chromebook plus.

jcavana1

Post by jcavana1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:23 am

+1 for chromebooks for web surfing.

Ive been using a chromebook for the last 4 years and recently converted to a Windows laptop because of some of the limitations of the chromebook.

Considerations:

My 2 chromebooks each lasted only 2 years before dying. I think this is important to factor into price considerations.
Although I would assume cheap Windows laptops to have similar build quality.

Windows and iOS are annoying. Converting back to a full OS has been frustrating. I miss never having to worry about updates, settings or downloads. If you just want to surf the web, I would 100% recommend Chromebook. The experience is just better.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:52 am

brajalle wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:39 am
My wife has had a chromebook for several years. It's perfect for her, and has been so much less of a headache to be tech support for me.

I strongly recommend one for internet browsing for anyone.

That being said, a couple of downsides (not at all dealbreakers vs all the benefits) -
- some issues playing specific media file types from a usb stick in the past
- some problems logging into hotel wifi that have an authorization page (I wasn't there, so could be user error)
- some problems on a couple of streaming services that wanted Windows or another browser (DirectTV Now I believe is an example) - solvable with a user agent workaround after some googling
I've always found logging into hotel (or airport) wifi to sometimes be a hassle on any type of device and it seems to be a flip of the coin whether it is or not.

Some streaming services are not as friendly to the Chrome operating system although that will likely change with time as Chromebooks continue to infiltrate the laptop market to a greater degree. When we were using streaming service(s) that didn't play well with our Chromebooks we just used a streaming box like Roku - we wanted them on our TV anyway. Our favorite streaming service that we use now is YouTube TV and it works perfectly with Chromebooks. I suppose that's not too surprising given it's owned by Google. It's not our favorite for that reason but because it's high quality and absolutely trouble-free which we did not find to be the case with other services.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:22 am

jcavana1 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:23 am
... My 2 chromebooks each lasted only 2 years before dying. I think this is important to factor into price considerations.
Although I would assume cheap Windows laptops to have similar build quality....
My 2 Chromebooks... one is 4 years old, one is 2 years old. Both are still going fine, although I did have to reload the Chrome OS on the older one once.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:50 am

After decades of using Microsoft PC operating systems, I feel Windows 10 finally got it right. It is intuitive, flexible, and rarely buggy, and bugs that appear seem to happily go away on their own. (And there is always some workaround like changing browsers.)

Disk management and hardware compatibility are light-years ahead of even Windows 7 for me.
And Win 10 doesn't seem to be a resource hog either.

I have a Mac also and prefer Windows capabilities better. The Windows file system is easier to deal with, among other things.
And software compatibility is better with Windows.
(And USB hardware compatibility has gotten really dependable too. I have all sorts of devices hanging off my machine, like solid state drives, DACs, and more.)

I can go for many days w/o rebooting, something unheard of in the past if you actively use your machine and change software/hardware fairly frequently.

So I would go with Win 10. I am impressed with it. PCs with it are pretty cheap, too.

Ha ha, I own a big chunk of Apple stock and no MSFT directly, but I have to be honest here.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:13 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:22 am
jcavana1 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:23 am
... My 2 chromebooks each lasted only 2 years before dying. I think this is important to factor into price considerations.
Although I would assume cheap Windows laptops to have similar build quality....
My 2 Chromebooks... one is 4 years old, one is 2 years old. Both are still going fine, although I did have to reload the Chrome OS on the older one once.
I have older ones that still work and are stored away, just in case. I've never had to reload but have done a 'powerwash' to speed things up a bit. This does not as it sounds have anything to do with laying it out in the driveway and using using a high pressure washer.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:59 pm

I hardly touched my Windows 10 laptop these days, except for certain Office application when I'm presenting.

My main laptop is a 2011 MBA 13" running Sierra; my other backup is a Toshiba 13" C3350 CB 2 with FHD screen.

The only downside to the CB are couple items:
- need to connect to a Google Printer
- can't run usenet w/o dualbooting the device.

Casting is easily accomplished, similar to Apple's Airplay. Unless you're working (I'm retired), there is absolutely no reason to go back to Windows.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:01 pm

I have two Chromebooks and a Chromebox at home, and I love them. I don't own a Windows computer anymore.
I eat risk for breakfast. :)

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:18 pm

Right now my laptop which I use as a desktop, is sitting in my "office" and is slowing down and needs replacement. I rarely use it but do when I need to print something or have to use a "computer" for things that cannot be done with my android tablet or phone. Things like some shifting within bookmark tabs and other things that periodically a search says that the computer must be used (i dont remember what)? For the Brother laser printer I have that i love , I have 3 or 4 remaining cartridges. Problem is that this is not a wireless printer so it must be connected to the computer. So I may need a new printer I guess (waste of about $150 of cartridges.

But can the chromebook be used for printing at least wirelessly and does it have a USB connector for connecting to a printer?

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Good Listener wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:18 pm

But can the chromebook be used for printing at least wirelessly and does it have a USB connector for connecting to a printer?
I donated my old HP printer (got it for free but bought a new OEM cartridge) but bought a wifi Brothers duplex printer that supports Google Cloud Print. CB does not use any kind of printer drivers (it's a browser, not an OS), so connecting to a printer via USB would not work anyway. My refurb printer is about $99, plus $15 for a new cartridge, just in case.

LuigiLikesPizza

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:09 pm

Just took the dive into a Chromebook a few weeks ago, based on the price and also my (teenage) daughters' positive experience at school with them. For the money (less than $200 in my case) it's a good deal.

Hi Cocker, do you mind if I ask which one you purchased? thanks

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:38 pm

Ok. 2 needs. One is printing. Seems like a non issue with a chromebook and wireless printer. Second (huge) is that i like to download my Google drive to a flash drive once a month just in case. Can that be done with a chromebook?

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:13 pm

Good Listener wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:38 pm
Ok. 2 needs. One is printing. Seems like a non issue with a chromebook and wireless printer. Second (huge) is that i like to download my Google drive to a flash drive once a month just in case. Can that be done with a chromebook?
Yes you can download to a flash drive providing your chromebook has a USB port. Many higher end Chromebooks are moving to USB-C ports. I believe you can buy adapters to go from older USB-A to USB-C. Also, Chromebooks typically have SD or microSD slots which can be used for downloading/archiving.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:42 pm

Good Listener wrote:
Use the Chromebook Recovery Utility

https://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorial ... -cms-28842

BL

Post by BL » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:05 am

Good Listener wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:18 pm
Right now my laptop which I use as a desktop, is sitting in my "office" and is slowing down and needs replacement. I rarely use it but do when I need to print something or have to use a "computer" for things that cannot be done with my android tablet or phone. Things like some shifting within bookmark tabs and other things that periodically a search says that the computer must be used (i dont remember what)? For the Brother laser printer I have that i love , I have 3 or 4 remaining cartridges. Problem is that this is not a wireless printer so it must be connected to the computer. So I may need a new printer I guess (waste of about $150 of cartridges.

I got this link from a fairly current thread on Chromebooks:
https://support.google.com/chrome/answe ... print&rd=1
and to share printer:
https://support.google.com/cloudprint/answer/2541899
I haven't set up my new(er) Windows desktop to enable my Chromebook, but I expect following one or both links will do it. I forgot how I set it up some years ago when I got my first ChromeBook. If it doesn't work, a cloud printer is in my future.

It does have USB connections.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:12 am

BL wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:05 am
I got this link from a fairly current thread on Chromebooks:
https://support.google.com/chrome/answe ... print&rd=1
That's hoew I do it when I'm at the nursing home (like now). I just use the Chromebook print function, and the printout is stored in the cloud. When I get home I turn on my PC and the printer, and out comes the printout.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:25 am

I bought my mom an Acer r13 Chromebook from Costco

It cost about 350, and includes a touch screen.

With the Costco warranty and Costco credit card warranty, it has 4 years of warranty.

Google gaurantees updates for 4 years

She loves the thing
IT-DevOps System Administrator

seychellois_lib

Post by seychellois_lib » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:33 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:42 pm
Good Listener wrote:

I had to chuckle when I saw this. I have been using Google drive for more than ten years. Never had a problem. However, during that time, I have lost goodness knows how many flash drives. I swear, flash drives have secret robot feet that pop out at night and walk them away.

I have four Chromebooks in the house. All working. I can't resist the latest iteration. Last one I bought was Asus flip which doubles as a tablet and runs android apps. This one replaced my Wife's four year old HP windows laptop. I have observed her slowly wean herself off the Windows laptop over the past month. The HP now sits unused in the closet. I still have a windows laptop on the boat to run Nav and weather software. This is one area where Chromebooks are not useful. I expect the creatives will address at some point.

BTW, although it is nice to run android apps on a Chromebook, a whole heap of work is required to complete the integration. Right now there are a lot of Android apps which either don't run or behave badly.

AAA

Post by AAA » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:01 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:12 am
That's hoew I do it when I'm at the nursing home (like now). I just use the Chromebook print function, and the printout is stored in the cloud. When I get home I turn on my PC and the printer, and out comes the printout.
Do you have security concerns about doing this if what you want to print is confidential?

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:04 pm

seychellois_lib wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:33 pm
I have been using Google drive for more than ten years.
Are you sure about that? Google Drive was launched 5 years ago.

"Google Drive is a file storage and synchronization service developed by Google. Launched on April 24, 2012, Google Drive allows users to store files in the cloud, synchronize files across devices, and share files."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Drive

Here is the official launch announcement from Google in 2012...

https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/04 ... eally.html
I eat risk for breakfast. :)

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:13 pm

AAA wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:01 pm
cheese_breath wrote:
Do you have security concerns about doing this if what you want to print is confidential?
I don't, but that doesn't mean it's perfectly secure, nothing is. It's probably about as secure as emailing a PDF file.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:26 pm

I do not have a Chromebook, but I use Google Chrome. I use a Windows Dell computer. My grandson's school system decided to let each middle school student use a (school owned) Chromebook for school. He brings it home to do part of his home work on it. I applaud Google to provide Chromebook at a reasonable price for school systems in their education. Who would have expected that from school 63 years ago when I went to middle school? His school probably uses Chromebook also in high school. My 14 year old grandson also uses at home an Ipad and a Dell Windows PC to interface with his school.

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:32 pm

I have been using Chromebooks since their inception.
Typing on one now.
I use a chromebook 95% of the time.
When I want access my Quicken data on the Windows 10 desktop
I use the Chrome Remote Desktop feature.
No clutter,no nagging updates,etc,etc,
Acer or Asus Chromebook for me.
Great Value for the price. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:12 pm

seychellois_lib wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
Good Listener wrote:

I had to chuckle when I saw this. I have been using Google drive for more than ten years. Never had a problem. However, during that time, I have lost goodness knows how many flash drives. I swear, flash drives have secret robot feet that pop out at night and walk them away.

I have four Chromebooks in the house. All working. I can't resist the latest iteration. Last one I bought was Asus flip which doubles as a tablet and runs android apps. This one replaced my Wife's four year old HP windows laptop. I have observed her slowly wean herself off the Windows laptop over the past month. The HP now sits unused in the closet. I still have a windows laptop on the boat to run Nav and weather software. This is one area where Chromebooks are not useful. I expect the creatives will address at some point.

BTW, although it is nice to run android apps on a Chromebook, a whole heap of work is required to complete the integration. Right now there are a lot of Android apps which either don't run or behave badly.
On occasion I habe deleted a file or multiple files from Google drive and it is tough to recover it. But it can be done at the desktop site. Does a chromebook function like z computer where these things can be done or more like a mobile device?

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:51 pm

AAA wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:01 pm
cheese_breath wrote:
Do you trust the Google cloud? If you don't, then you shouldn't be using a Chromebook for confidential data.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:55 pm

seychellois_lib wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
Good Listener wrote:

I had to chuckle when I saw this. I have been using Google drive for more than ten years. Never had a problem. However, during that time, I have lost goodness knows how many flash drives. I swear, flash drives have secret robot feet that pop out at night and walk them away....
Chuckle back at ya. :wink: I still have every flash drive I've ever owned. They're all in a case in my desk.

giacomo_bogle

Post by giacomo_bogle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:18 pm

It seems like Chrome book is meant for someone like you! Can't imagine why you would need anything different?
If you absolutely need MS Office (for whatever reasons); you might need a windows laptop. Do you have some kind of "niche app" that you think cannot be handled by a chrome book?

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:21 pm

Used mostly Chromebooks for years, only using a Windows machine for tax software. My experience is that a low-end Chromebook outperforms a low-end Windows laptop, even for web browsing. I couldn't believe how slow my low-end Windows laptops have been for web browsing--almost unusable.

A year or so ago I bought a higher-end Windows laptop with SSD only to get into some things that can't be done on a Chromebook. This laptop outperforms the Chromebooks I've had, but I still recommend Chromebooks to anyone who can get by with only web-based computing. I'd much rather help a family member or friend with problems on a Chromebook than on a Windows PC.

Regarding which Chromebook, it depends on what you're looking for. Consider keyboard usability, backlit keyboard, screen size, touch screen, memory, etc. My Windows laptop has a touch screen, and now I wouldn't buy any laptop, Chromebook or otherwise, without a touch screen. Ditto for a backlit keyboard. I don't use the touchscreen often, but enough that when using a non-touchscreen laptop, I find myself reaching for the screen to quickly scroll, etc. My laptop screen also rotates 360 degrees, so can be used in various modes, but I've found that I use this capability so little that I wouldn't pay extra for it in my next laptop.

Kevin
||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)