Frontier Flight Fees

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Frontier Flight Fees

Post by ThankYouJack »

Frontier has some flights I'm interested in for $91 / ticket. Other flights that day are ~$300 / ticket. But Frontier almost seems like a scam with the varying fees like bag fees changing depending on the season and when you specify your checking your bag.

Anyway, have other been happy flying with them? And what should I expect to pay for 1 or 2 checked bags, 2 checked carseats, 1 carry-on backpack, and 1 lap child? I can check directly with them too, just wondering if someone knows the general price structure off the top of their heads.
tibbitts

Re: Frontier Flight Fees

Post by tibbitts »

ThankYouJack wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:02 am Frontier has some flights I'm interested in for $91 / ticket. Other flights that day are ~$300 / ticket. But Frontier almost seems like a scam with the varying fees like bag fees changing depending on the season and when you specify your checking your bag.

Anyway, have other been happy flying with them? And what should I expect to pay for 1 or 2 checked bags, 2 checked carseats, 1 carry-on backpack, and 1 lap child? I can check directly with them too, just wondering if someone knows the general price structure off the top of their heads.
I flew with them one time, under the "old" price structure. Back then it was very cost-effective to upgrade to where a better seat and bag was included. It was an excellent experience. But it's like a completely different airline now so I can't comment on what it's like now.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Sounds like Spirit. Fares are cheap, but it costs $ to use the overhead bins, check a bag or pick a seat. However I have never seen a plane load as fast since no one one is blocking the aisles looking for space in the bins. Same thing getting off.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Try this (with a translation from UK to US -- the idea is the same): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6pj3Fdbwng
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

Four years ago I flew one way with them.
Even after paying extra for a seat with more legroom, it was still 1/2 the fare of United.

Just know that may only one flight a day and not necessarily every day, so if there are issues you can be stuck at a non-hub airport.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

ThankYouJack wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:02 am Frontier has some flights I'm interested in for $91 / ticket. Other flights that day are ~$300 / ticket. But Frontier almost seems like a scam with the varying fees like bag fees changing depending on the season and when you specify your checking your bag.

Their pricing varies so you'll have to go in and price your itinerary. I believe car seats are exempt from fees. I think you'll want to pay to get assigned seating at time of booking otherwise you may find yourselves spread around the plane. The website is very clear about this which I think is actually a better approach than other airlines where people book low cost flights and show up at the airport expecting to be seated together. Rather than thinking of it as a "scam" I'd think of it as ala carte pricing. You pay for what you need, especially if you are flying on a very low cost ticket. Don't think of it as add ons to a $91 fare, think of it as savings against a $300 fare. If you go over $300 you have a different answer.
stlutz

Post by stlutz »

Let's just say I've never heard anyone report a positive experience flying with them.
dbr

Post by dbr »

stlutz wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:55 am Let's just say I've never heard anyone report a positive experience flying with them.
That is probably more to the point than anything.
jjbiv

Post by jjbiv »

I’ve flown on Frontier (and other similar airlines around the world) with no issues. The key is to do your homework and know what to expect before you get to the airport. Know the airline’s baggage policy (which for Frontier is one free personal item about the size of a backpack as a carryon) and purchase any checked bags you will need online before you get to the airport. It’s cheaper to comsolidate and check your bags than to carry them on. You will be assigned a seat on Frontier for free when you check in. All of the information you need is easily available on their website (https://www.flyfrontier.com/travel-information/baggage/). Most problems are caused by passengers not knowing what to expect or making assumptions about what is included in their ticket price.

They will attempt to seat everyone booked in a single reservation together if there are contiguous seats available when you check in. If you want to be certain you will receive seats next to each other, you can choose to pay for reserved seats when you book. If you’re saving $209/ticket with Frontier vs. other options, I think you’ll come out well ahead even after paying for some ancillary services. You can also sign up for their email list and recieve frequent promotions. Enjoy your trip!
FraggleRock

Post by FraggleRock »

The price and the fees are not the benefit/problem with Frontier.

The major problem with Frontier is what when there is a glitch.
Their service is non-existant.
They don't inter-line.
They don't compensate for food, lodging.
The gate agents just walk away.
Their 800 number is only answered for 2 minutes a day and they resolve nothing.
You may spend 1-2 days sleeping in the airport.

I would never fly Frontier. As a Denverite, I am very sad to see a good airline become crap.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Funny you should ask. Just the other day I was looking at Frontier to try and find that info on bag, fees, etc. it was very tedious. Even clicking on "bag fees" did not bring me to an answer. I finally found something but I don't know how I got there.
To me their a la carte pricing might be OK if you could actually access the information. But, it is not. Why they make it so hard is beyond me. There is no clarity.
I guess that is why I will usually pay a fare I know what it is instead of this "homework".

Last year, in Asia, I flew a similiar type airline. However, all the extras were spelling out and right up front. I did not have to click all over the place. It was acceptable to me.
As an airline that wants/lets you pick and choose your extras, just make it simple.

Frontier is a last resort because of this, if even a last resort.
It appears that Frontoer is not even aware of this problem of their site. Maybe they don't care. They just want you to buy a ticket. They will make the extras anyway and even more so if it is so unclear you show up and buy the extras at the counter paying even more.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Thanks all. I mixed up the flight day so the saving is closer to $50-100. And after paying for all the fees and hassle, I don't think it's worth it for me. I'm a big Southwest fan especially flying with a family during a time where kids are often sick. Being able to easily switch flights for free is a very nice plus.
stan1 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:49 am Rather than thinking of it as a "scam" I'd think of it as ala carte pricing. You pay for what you need, especially if you are flying on a very low cost ticket. Don't think of it as add ons to a $91 fare, think of it as savings against a $300 fare. If you go over $300 you have a different answer.
Maybe not a scam, just more misleading. Even on their homepage they have deals like 90% to Florida with promo code save90. But the fine print is "some" exclusions apply. Of course the flights that I enter aren't getting the discount.

I guess one could bother reading all the fine print :shock: :oops:
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Sale valid 11/11 - 11/13/17.

Markets excluded from this offer:

Charlotte, NC to Orlando, FL
Chicago, IL to Orlando, FL
Cincinnati, OH to Orlando, FL
Denver, CO to Miami, FL
Denver, CO to Orlando, FL
Las Vegas, NV to Miami, FL
Las Vegas, NV to Orlando, FL
Las Vegas, NV to Tampa, FL
Los Angeles, CA to Orlando, FL
Madison, WI to Orlando, FL
Milwaukee, WI to Orlando, FL
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN to Fort Myers, FL
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN to Orlando, FL
Nashville, TN to Orlando, FL
Oklahoma City, OK to Orlando, FL
Philadelphia, PA to Orlando, FL
Phoenix, AZ to Orlando, FL
Raleigh, NC to Orlando, FL
San Francisco, CA to Orlando, FL
San Juan, PR to Orlando, FL
St. Louis, MO to Orlando, FL
Trenton, NJ to Orlando, FL
Washington, D.C. (Dulles) to Orlando, FL
Bismarck, ND to Las Vegas, NV
Cleveland, OH to Las Vegas, NV
Columbus, OH to Las Vegas, NV
Milwaukee, WI to Las Vegas, NV
Sioux Falls, SD to Las Vegas, NV

Tickets must be purchased by 11:59 pm Eastern time on Nov. 13, 2017 for nonstop domestic travel to Florida or to Las Vegas on Saturday through Wednesdays from Nov. 14, 2017 to Feb. 14, 2018. The following blackout dates apply: Nov. 18-19, 21-22, 25-27, 2017 and Dec. 20, 2017 – Jan. 3, 2018.

The 90% discount applies to base fare only, not to fees or taxes, and requires purchase at FlyFrontier.com using promo code SAVE90. Promo code must be applied directly by customer on flyfrontier.com or requested of a Frontier Airlines Reservation Agent. Use of promo codes by third parties is expressly prohibited. All fare rules will apply. Certain flights and/or days of travel may be unavailable.

Fare(s) shown includes all transportation fees, surcharges and taxes, and are subject to change without notice.

Depending on the fare type purchased, nonrefundable tickets may be transferred (passenger name change) for a fee of up to $75, or reissued for alternate flights for a fee of up to $99, as well as a possible fare increase. The name change fee and itinerary change fee are not exclusive of each other. Previously purchased tickets may not be exchanged for these special fare tickets. Flight segment(s) must be cancelled prior to scheduled departure time or the ticket(s) and all monies will be forfeited.

Tickets purchased at FlyFrontier.com or by calling Frontier’s reservations centers must be paid for at the time the reservation is made, you may request a full refund up to 24 hours after the time of purchase, if the purchase is made 7 days (168 hours) or more prior to your flight's departure. This ticket may be canceled and refunded at the My Trips section on FlyFrontier.com. Additional travel services, such as baggage (https://www.flyfrontier.com/travel-information/baggage) and advance seat assignments (https://www.flyfrontier.com/travel-info ... ng-options) are available for purchase separately at an additional charge. Fares include all transportation fees, surcharges and taxes, and are subject to change without notice. Some markets do not offer daily service. Schedules are subject to change without notice. Flights are operated by Frontier Airlines. Other restrictions may apply.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I'm flying to Florida on Spirit this week. It was a similar kind of thing. The flight for 2 people was like $120. After taxes, baggages fees, etc. it came to around $420. That was still less than the $650 United wanted. Since it is less than a 3 hour flight, I only paid the baggage fee and will deal with whatever seat they give us.

If you add every option they give you, I bet you could spend hundreds more. Early check in. Windows seat. Aisle seat. Early boarding. Baggage fees. Big front seat.
Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne »

I'm surprised no airline has yet introduced the First Class Emergency Club wher members would be the first permitted to stand up and exit through the emergency exits after a mishap. And, premiums member could also be permitted to take their carry-on's. Just think of the extra revenue possibilities.
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

FraggleRock wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:19 pm The price and the fees are not the benefit/problem with Frontier.

The major problem with Frontier is what when there is a glitch.
Their service is non-existant.
They don't inter-line.
They don't compensate for food, lodging.
The gate agents just walk away.
Their 800 number is only answered for 2 minutes a day and they resolve nothing.
You may spend 1-2 days sleeping in the airport.

I would never fly Frontier. As a Denverite, I am very sad to see a good airline become crap.
+1. As another Denverite I wouldn’t fly Frontier again. Thank goodness we have Southwest. I would pay a minimum of 25% more to fly another airline. They are often at or near the bottom in most consumer surveys and for good reason. And like another poster mentioned they regularly have only one or two flights a day to a particular destination. I’m not sure if the website has been updated but there was a period of time when you were directed to choose a seat only to find out at the end of the process that you were being charged for the selection. I guess it’s hard to expect too much from a company that seems to always be teetering on the brink of bankruptcy.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Frontier ain't what they used to be - they are definitely an el cheapo takes your chances airline now.

However, if it's a direct flight and you figure all your fees into the cost I'd consider them.

They recently started direct fights from our city to Las Vegas. All other airlines had to connect somewhere and were $200 more per ticket round trip. We rolled the dice and were satisfied with Frontier.
soupcxan

Post by soupcxan »

[deleted]
Last edited by soupcxan on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

ThankYouJack wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:02 amFrontier has some flights I'm interested in for $91 / ticket. Other flights that day are ~$300 / ticket. But Frontier almost seems like a scam...
You are correct. I used to fly Frontier when they were a competent airline. Now their service is terrible and their fares are only an opening bid, onto which they add countless fees. Those fees are especially egregious when you have to pay to fix their problems (like flight delays due to equipment malfunctions). Consider a Frontier ticket a highly speculative transportation gamble. The odds that you will get to your destination on time in reasonable comfort at their advertised price are low.

-Marylander1