Do you meditate?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gasdoc

Do you meditate?

Post by gasdoc » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:36 am

My wife and I recently attended a conference titled, "The Heart and Science of Yoga," done by Leonard Perlmutter and the American Meditation Institute. During the week, we were introduced to the practice and science behind meditation, easy and gentle yoga, healthy and mindful eating, etc. The course was promoted for healthcare practitioners both as a benefit to patients and to prevent and treat practitioner burnout. I had gotten interested when I read a book recently about the habits of the world's most accomplished people, where it was noted that meditation is a common practice. The course covered the actual practices of meditation and yoga, but also included lectures discussing studies demonstrating actual brain changes on MRI as well as decreases in BP and other indicators of health. Leonard Perlmutter is an actual yogi, who must practice various aspects of meditation and yoga for several hours each day. I was thinking to myself, "I would have to be retired to have enough time to do all of that!"

This Bogleheads forum has many accomplished individuals, many of whom are at the end of their careers or retired. I was wondering- do people on this forum take time for meditation/yoga? If so, how long have you been doing it? How much time per day do you practice this? Have you noticed any benefits? Personally, I have been meditating 20 minutes per day, about 4-5 times per week. My wife has been meditating twice per day, for 2o minutes per session, 5 times per week. In our marriage relationships, it seems like we get along better. At work, I seem less bothered by the things that used to bother me. I am in my last few years of practice, I hope, and meditation seems to be making things a little easier and less stressful. I seem to sleep better, finding I am becoming better at "clearing my mind." To be honest, though, I have also cut back on the number of weekends that I work. I would be interested in thoughts from this group.

gasdoc

Sandtrap

Re: Do you meditate?

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:41 am

Yes.
40 years.
Constant.
Teach and practice.
Static, moving, daily mindfulness, etc.
j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

TRC

Post by TRC » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:44 am

Sometimes, but I've never really done it consistently. When I do meditate, I use the Guided Meditation app called Headspace.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:46 am

gasdoc wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:36 am
My wife and I recently attended a conference titled, "The Heart and Science of Yoga," done by Leonard Perlmutter and the American Meditation Institute. During the week, we were introduced to the practice and science behind meditation, easy and gentle yoga, healthy and mindful eating, etc.
Couldn't you just give me some nitrous instead? :D
Run, You Clever Boy!

Steve723

Post by Steve723 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:56 am

I recently dealt with a bout of insomnia/sleep anxiety and started doing mindful meditation on a daily basis. I only do it for about 10-15 minutes per day but I believe it has helped, along with the other things I did to tackle the issue (more exercise and some cognitive behavior therapy). My sleeping is better, but I plan on continuing with the meditation, as I have read about all the generalized benefits you mentioned. It really has been pretty well researched.

What I like about is is that it's free, you can do it almost anywhere, and you can age with it. The hardest part is simply being still and focused....and not falling asleep!

Good luck with it, I hope you continue!

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:02 am

Wife does for roughly 30 minutes twice daily.

Steve723

Post by Steve723 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:05 am

One other thought on meditation.....It's very typical for high-achiever types to initially view meditation through the same lens they view other endeavors they take on: "How long do I need to do it to get the most benefit? How many days per week? When will I start seeing better performance at X? "

That sort of attitude is antithetical to mindful meditation and is very "American". The point is to just do it in a way that seems to work best for you and then just trust the process without placing any sort of expectations on yourself. Jon Kabat Zinn, an expert in the practice, calls this principle "non striving". Good stuff.

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:12 am

No. Not on a daily or monthly basis.

I have been to a week long Meditation retreat and as well as Meditation Weekend courses and weekly sessions to share time with my spouse. My spouse joins me for ski vacations so it only fair.
I do the courses and I enjoy them. I just rather exercise, read or ski.

I greatly enjoyed "Why Buddhism is true" by Robert Wright where he makes an excellent point for why the scientific basis if more people would meditate, the world would be better place. I had not realized that Buddhists as a religion do not meditate. Only the monks do.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

Pete12

Post by Pete12 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:13 am

I've tried it on and off over the years but have never seemed to be able to get to grips with it. All it seems to achieve for me is that I get very sleepy! There's got to be a Boglehead way to do it - i.e. a simple method with which you can stay the course... would love to hear any practical tips you folks have.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:17 am

I don't meditate per se, but I feel like I get a similar mental and physical benefit from distance running. The headspace during a relaxed run (not a workout) is very different from that during almost daily activity.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:24 am

Wildebeest wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:12 am
No. Not on a daily or monthly basis.

I have been to a week long Meditation retreat and as well as Meditation Weekend courses and weekly sessions to share time with my spouse. My spouse joins me for ski vacations so it only fair.
I do the courses and I enjoy them. I just rather exercise, read or ski.

I greatly enjoyed "Why Buddhism is true" by Robert Wright where he makes an excellent point for why the scientific basis if more people would meditate, the world would be better place. I had not realized that Buddhists as a religion do not meditate. Only the monks do.
Buddhism is a complex subject with a historical development encompassing over 2,500 years and many countries and branches. I've been to Tibet, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, etc. I think that many of the common people in the countries that practice Buddhism developed their own versions comparable to Christianity in the Middle Ages.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:27 am

I go to Yoga at my health club as I think its likely good for me. Today the teacher was reminding us to breathe, breathe, breathe. I think that this is good as well as some of the poses.

socaldude

Post by socaldude » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:41 am

Yes, 3 or 4 times a week. Awareness of mind and being thoughtful of others. Try counting your breaths to 10, (i.e.1 in 2 out..). Many modern problems are a result of speeding things up. Slowing down is not easy but, you will enjoy life more. "There is more to Life than increasing it's speed." GANDHI ...............(p.s. retired 50-STKS-40-BNDS-10-CSH)

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:50 am

Yoga, yes, twice a week. I have ankylosing spondylitis, and yoga is a necessity. There's simply nothing better for fighting the stiffness in my back and neck. I have a hard time with meditation though. My mind tends to wander even during the brief rest time at the end of yoga class. So I just let it. The most random thoughts pop into my head. But perhaps that's a form of meditation?

KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:51 am

Does the time I spend curled up under the covers between when I wake up and when I actually get out of bed count?

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:54 am

do you use a mantra and what is it?

I meditate when I can't sleep in the middle of the night. I focus on my breathing and use "in", "out" in an unfocused way.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:59 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:41 am
Yes.
40 years.
Constant.
Teach and practice.

What is daily mindfulness.

rayson

Post by rayson » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:08 am

jhfenton wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:17 am
I don't meditate per se, but I feel like I get a similar mental and physical benefit from distance running. The headspace during a relaxed run (not a workout) is very different from that during almost daily activity.
+10

I used to practice meditation using Vipassana, which means insight into the true nature of reality according to buddhist tradition. However, I stopped Vipassana once I got serious about distance running. I feel like I get the same benefits from slow endurance running. I also prefer running outside with no music or headphones.

Veiled

Post by Veiled » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:13 am

Every day, 30 minutes. Journaling, too, but that's separate. Among other things, it helps me avoid being sucked into the panic and numbness of the world around us.
Pardon me as I read these one hundred and fifty-seven SP vs LLC vs Scorp threads...

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:14 am

No, but I take nice long walks and I feel like I mediate when I take them.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:16 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:59 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Yes.
40 years.
Constant.
Teach and practice.

Taking the "presence" of seated meditation progressively into daily life such that the benefits of meditation become dynamic and ongoing. The generic basic seated meditation might, for example, start with "counting breaths" or whatever various disciplines and offshoots/variations from the origins -- then one takes that same mindfulness into motion, dynamics, and daily life. Basic mediation is like training wheels but the bicycle is not yet moving. Then a progression from that into daily life and then eventually, no training wheels. It is at once a means to an end then something in and of itself with no end.
The goal is able to take the stillness of floating in a calm pond into the chaos of a raging sea (daily life) and within one's own chaos so to speak. Easy to do in a monastery (comparatively speaking :shock: ) but tough to do outside let alone on a daily basis. The benefits are immeasurable.
This is somewhat simplistic but I hope it is helpful.
Feel free to PM me for more info.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:38 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:16 am
Dottie57 wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
Yes.
40 years.
Constant.
Teach and practice.

Taking the "presence" of seated meditation progressively into daily life such that the benefits of meditation become dynamic and ongoing. The generic basic seated meditation might, for example, start with "counting breaths" or whatever various disciplines and offshoots/variations from the origins -- then one takes that same mindfulness into motion, dynamics, and daily life. Basic mediation is like training wheels but the bicycle is not yet moving. Then a progression from that into daily life and then eventually, no training wheels. It is at once a means to an end then something in and of itself with no end.
The goal is able to take the stillness of floating in a calm pond into the chaos of a raging sea (daily life) and within one's own chaos so to speak. Easy to do in a monastery (comparatively speaking :shock: ) but tough to do outside let alone on a daily basis. The benefits are immeasurable.
This is a lovely post!

I love the analogy of the calm pond vs raging sea. :happy

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:49 am

In my yoga twice a week I find there is not enough time for me to get into a mindful state at the start / end, during the stretching I'm so inflexible that my mind is focused on not injuring myself, so not very effective meditation.

I bike for 20 minutes each way to work in which I believe I achieve mindfulness for a few minutes.

I would consider sitting down and doing mindfulness activities, but dont because there are more productive things I could be doing. This is ironic because I don't consider myself productive. I find I only get a few hours of real work done a day at the office so I certainly could benefit from meditation.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:50 am

Yes

It is good for nothing.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:51 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
Yes.
40 years.
Constant.
Teach and practice.

Any suggestions for starting out. I could use some calm in my life. A bit more serenity.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:10 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:51 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
Yes.
40 years.
Constant.
Teach and practice.

Any suggestions for starting out. I could use some calm in my life. A bit more serenity.
Take something that you love that is done alone, in a relatively quiet place, with no distractions, with minimal physical effort, zero input from outside sources (busy mind), tranquil and time passes without notice. IE: Potting a tiny flower sprout, seated in a bay window watching the fall leaves, or on a bench under an evergreen listening to the soft breeze wander through its branches, feeling it on your cheek, fragrance of it. Focus on awareness of just being where you are and everything about it, then forget about that too. Take this into daily life.
This is a step. No need for esoteric methods and names and routines and sequences and positions or philosophies which tend to further add to mental clutter. Many focus on the training wheels or the type of bicycle or the "style" of pedaling, rather than the pure indescribably experience of riding the bike.

Thich Nhat Hanh
is somewhat neutral an not eclectic and has excellent simple writings and methods without going too deep into philosophies, etc. There's so much out there. Simple is better.
The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditationhttps://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Mindfuln ... indfulness

feel free to PM me for more info.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ikowik

Post by ikowik » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Dottie57 wrote:

Look for a nearby society or organization of people interested- something like Mindfulness or Buddhist practices. Be careful though, there are organizations that teach specialized forms or sects. Best to start with a general introduction.
Plenty of books available. One to try is An Ancient Path- Talks on Vipassana Meditation by Paul Fleischman. Written in a lucid style. It used to be available as a free download with the option of voluntary donations, but I don't see it on a quick web search now.

200couches

Post by 200couches » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:28 pm

Fellow anesthesiologist here. Woot woot!

I've been doing Headspace (guided meditation app) for almost 2 years now. It has been transformative...an incredibly positive experience for me.

The app says I've done 267 days straight and a total of 9K minutes.

JPH

Post by JPH » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:31 pm

It's very difficult to answer the question of benefit because the term "Meditation" can mean so many different things; e.g., relaxation, yoga, prayer, peaceful rest. Some forms are almost entirely mental while others have a physical/exercise component. It's been studied extensively for years without achieving consensus. A recent review in JAMA concluded: "Clinicians should be aware that meditation programs can result in small to moderate reductions of multiple negative dimensions of psychological stress. Thus, clinicians should be prepared to talk with their patients about the role that a meditation program could have in addressing psychological stress. Stronger study designs are needed to determine the effects of meditation programs in improving the positive dimensions of mental health and stress-related behavior."

Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24395196
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

BV3273

Post by BV3273 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Want to start but not sure where to start. I'm going to try that headspace app.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:42 pm

OP,

Be mindful and aware while doing a routine.

For example, while taking a daily walk, instead of wearing a headphone and shut yourself off, feel and aware of your movement. Be mindful of your surrounding. Ditto on cycling and so on. Integrate mindfulness and focus on what you are doing at the moment. Be present, aware, feel the surrounding.

KlangFool

chabil

Post by chabil » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:48 pm

Rupert wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:50 am
Yoga, yes, twice a week. I have ankylosing spondylitis, and yoga is a necessity. There's simply nothing better for fighting the stiffness in my back and neck. I have a hard time with meditation though. My mind tends to wander even during the brief rest time at the end of yoga class. So I just let it. The most random thoughts pop into my head. But perhaps that's a form of meditation?
I find focusing on a body part - the big toe, knee, tip of nose, wherever, helps check the wandering. Maybe it works like an anchor.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:55 pm

Yes ,
In my backyard.
On my BackYard deck.
1700 ft above sea level,
Mid way up from the tops of the trees,
Like being in a tree house.
Solitude
Pulse,54 beats per minute
Meditate :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:58 pm

I’ve been doing yoga all my life but no meditation, maybe I should try it sometime, but I’m way too impatient to count the bead necklace that was given to me from a Buddhist person.

However, I noticed my stiff neck and back went away with Pilate exercises, you need to create all 4 curves in the lower back for a healthy bone as you age. My siblings all complain about stiff back and neck and I can see how Pilate exercise can help them.

But my favorite activity is swim alone in my community swimming pool, cold water is better, it awakes my whole body.

Pete12

Post by Pete12 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:05 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:10 pm
Simple is better.
^^^ This

TedSwippet

Post by TedSwippet » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:12 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
I took Coursera's De-Mystifying Mindfulness online course some time last year, and really enjoyed it. It runs regularly, and starts again on Nov 20. It is entirely free of charge:
About this course: Interest in meditation, mindfulness, and contemplation has grown exponentially in recent years. Rather than being seen as mystical practices from ancient Buddhism or esoteric philosophy, they are increasingly seen as technologies rooted in evidence from psychology and neuroscience. Mindfulness has become the basis for numerous therapeutic interventions, both as a treatment in healthcare and as a means of enhancing well-being and happiness. For millions around the world, mindfulness has become a life-style choice, enhancing and enriching everyday experience. Mindfulness is big business.

But, what actually is mindfulness? Is it really good for you? Can anyone learn it? How can you recognize charlatans? Would you want to live in a mindful society, and would it smell like sandalwood? What does it feel like to be mindful? Are you mindful already, and how would you know?

Evolving from the popular Honours Academy course at Leiden University, this innovative course combines conventional scholarly inquiry from multiple disciplines (ranging from psychology, through philosophy, to politics) with experiential learning (including specially designed ‘meditation labs,’ in which you’ll get chance to practice and analyze mindfulness on yourself). In the end, the course aims to provide a responsible, comprehensive, and inclusive education about (and in) mindfulness as a contemporary phenomenon.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:05 pm

The Power of Now by Eckhardt Tolle changed my life. Resist nothing.
"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." -Thoreau

Lithuanian

Post by Lithuanian » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:56 pm

I would recommend Shinzen Young's teachings/explanations.
Here's his brief introduction on reasons for meditation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-6la3AlEnE
Here are two longer very interesting talks at Google:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky7vMFB4iAs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XCWP4pODbs

I think his teachings should especially appeal to the analytically minded and those who had been put off by all the mysticism surrounding meditation. Shinzen explains mediation in a clear, down to earth way. It is practical, analytical, and scientific (or as scientific as it could possibly be).

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:00 pm

Toons wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:55 pm
Yes ,
In my backyard.
On my BackYard deck.
1700 ft above sea level,
Mid way up from the tops of the trees,
Like being in a tree house.
Solitude
Pulse,54 beats per minute
Meditate :happy
That's perfect.
+1
Yes
Outside my barn.
Horse nibbling on my apple.
Overlooking 3 National Forests
Cattle grazing in the far off hills.
5,368 ft above sea level
Our dream ranch. .
retirement. . .
at last. . . .
Meditate :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pax

Post by Pax » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:29 pm

The best and most practical system of meditation that I know is the Silva Method. I have been doing it for 41 years and counting. Sometimes, I have stopped for a few months but I always come back to it. At times, it has been "the difference that made the difference" for me. From health issues to life success factors and practical problem-solving. I could not recommend it enough!
Better and better ! :)

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:43 pm

Years ago, did yoga routines daily
Now that flexibility, range of motion and balance can be more of a challenge, not consistently
Same with meditation and mindfulness, need to set dedicated time on a daily/weekly basis
When biking I do let my mind run free (sometimes not all that safe),
Swimming laps is best; Definitely concentrate on breathing and strangely, come up with solutions for business, personal, and family challenges
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:01 pm

I do 20 breaths as my count between sets at the gym. So much better than watching a clock.
Now, it may seem trivial, but I am very aware of my breathing and it is the only thing I do at those times. So while it may not classify as meditation, it is for me in snippets. Though I have never thought of it as meditation.
As for the other, I do a lot of mindless perusing on the boglehead site. Oh wait, that's mindfulness. Hmm, I'll have to think about that one.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:13 pm

I googled habits of highly successful people, and a list of such individuals came up which included someone who'd built his success on ideas developed by others whom he did not credit, and an accused rapist. I think I'll skip their suggestions.

tup45678

Post by tup45678 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:26 pm

I've been meditating for years, 20 minutes every morning immediately upon waking using the Headspace app. I've found the experience enormously beneficial, both for stress reduction as well as general well-being.

I was forced to stop meditating around a year ago as I didn't have the time with an infant in the house, and I immediately noticed the difference. I was more irritable, less focused, and my anxiety levels were higher. Since I've resumed meditating, I've returned to my usual calm self.

blueman457

Post by blueman457 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:32 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:46 am
gasdoc wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:36 am
My wife and I recently attended a conference titled, "The Heart and Science of Yoga," done by Leonard Perlmutter and the American Meditation Institute. During the week, we were introduced to the practice and science behind meditation, easy and gentle yoga, healthy and mindful eating, etc.
Couldn't you just give me some nitrous instead? :D
:sharebeer

J295

Post by J295 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:35 pm

Yes. One of many prayer forms in the Catholic tradition.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:37 pm

socaldude wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:41 am
"There is more to Life than increasing it's speed." GANDHI ...............(p.s. retired 50-STKS-40-BNDS-10-CSH)
For some reason, I always imagined him with less equity exposure.

Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:19 pm

Yes, everyday. I'm a Catholic and there is, of course, a 2000 year tradition of meditation and contemplation. I often meditate with the help of Bible passages and the mysteries of the Rosary--beautiful, very deep meditations. Contemplation is something different but related, and I do that in Holy Hours before the Real Presence. Meditation is easier for me since I am a "thinker."
About a million books on Catholic meditation exist. I'm sometimes amused that some consider it something cool and "new."

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:47 pm

Lynette wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:27 am
I go to Yoga at my health club as I think its likely good for me. Today the teacher was reminding us to breathe, breathe, breathe. I think that this is good as well as some of the poses.
Breathing is part of the practice of meditation. Focus on the base of the nose, and notice the cool air going in and the warm air going out....

gasdoc

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:50 pm

BV3273 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:32 pm
Want to start but not sure where to start. I'm going to try that headspace app.
I liked the book, "The Mind Illuminated," for getting started. At the very beginning, I worked through a couple of free, guided internet resources.

gasdoc